Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Mario 64; January Game of the Month
Topic Started: Jan 4 2016, 12:41 PM (426 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
What better game to mark the 5th anniversary of Game of the Month than the one that kicked started the 64 we all love? Mario 64 was my first experience with the Nintendo 64. I am sure that can be said for a lot of us here. It changed the way I saw gaming. Less than two months after playing it, I had my own N64 and a copy of Mario. The N64 helped define my high school years. Ultimately a game on the N64 (Perfect Dark) led me to meeting my wife of 14 years now. So aside from being an amazing game, I owe it a debt of gratitude for the road it helped me go down :lol:

I still go back and play it a few times a year. My daughter likes to watch me play, and she likes to run around the castle courtyard. The gameplay was revolutionary, the graphics were amazing at the time, and the music is timelessly great! Though I never got the last star needed to get 100% on the game (dang flying around for 8 red coins level :lol: ) I have repeatedly played through and beat the game a number of times.

I suspect that I will still be playing it from time to time in the years to come :)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
The N64 will be 20 years old this year. Seems quite fitting for this to be our winner.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Yes! Super Mario 64 has finally become N64Forever's GotM! :w00t:

Like a lot of you here, Super Mario 64 was my first N64 game. It also happens to be, from what I can remember, the very first game I had ever beaten in my entire life. I remember being so happy when I finally got that tricky Bowser and his collapsing floor. I called for my parents and had them sit down with my brother and I as Mario flew out of the sky world and got his nose pecked by Princess Peach. I'm sure they weren't too keen about being pulled away from whatever they were doing to watch a video game ending, but they at least feigned happiness for me until that delicious cake popped up on the screen. What's funny is that my brother and I thought beating the game would finally unlock that cannon outside of the castle. Of course, I know now that's not how it's done. :lol:

The Rareware 3d platformers may have had better graphics, a grander story and more things to collect in them, but I always feel like I can't really play them unless I plan on beating the games from start to finish. Heck, I haven't even beaten DK64 yet because I got too overwhelmed with the collectables. SM64, however, is something I always have fun with just by booting up the game, jumping into a painting and doing whatever missions I feel like doing. For the wonderful memories it gave me as my first true 3d game (unless Sonic 3d Blast counts :/ ) and for it's easy replayability, Super Mario 64 will forever be my favorite N64 game. Here's to you, Mario. :yeah:
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
My daughter loves the cannon in the courtyard. Thankfully their was a copy of Mario 64 on our Wii when it was given to us. My wife's brother had gotten all 120 stars on one of the saves on it. That is usually the one she plays on :yeah:

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I lasted played through Mario 64 about 5 years ago.
Was great.

Was my first game, so many good times.
I do remember being stuck on 119 stars for nearly 6 months though!
Could not work it out, tried all sorts of things.
Finally was told that it might be the Princess Secret Slide in a faster time (never thought to do it faster!)

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
D.J Cat
Jan 9 2016, 09:37 PM
I lasted played through Mario 64 about 5 years ago.
Was great.

Was my first game, so many good times.
I do remember being stuck on 119 stars for nearly 6 months though!
Could not work it out, tried all sorts of things.
Finally was told that it might be the Princess Secret Slide in a faster time (never thought to do it faster!)
I played this for the first time in over ten years and I'm at 111 stars and am missing my cap. I for the life of me can't figure out where the cap is lol.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Which cap?

Potential spoilers I guess:

Spoiler: click to toggle

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
D.J Cat
Jan 10 2016, 06:22 PM
Which cap?

My regular cap

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
sublime1996525
Jan 10 2016, 09:11 PM
D.J Cat
Which cap?

My regular cap

Posted Image
Ah yes, the Monkey stole it!

You have to chase him and grab hold of him and he should give it back.

The vulture in Shift Sand Land also likes to nick your hat.
It's not a deal breaker but you do take double damage.

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
D.J Cat
Jan 11 2016, 03:22 AM
sublime1996525
D.J Cat
Which cap?

My regular cap

Posted Image

To add to this, I believe Mr. Blizzard (the giant snowman) in Snow Man's Land can blow your hat (as well as you) off of the bridge. You always land somewhere near it, though, so getting it back there shouldn't be difficult at all.
Edited by EnvyFox, Jan 11 2016, 01:41 PM.
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Agree with Kartmaster - a very appropriate year for it. Crazy how it has been 20 years.

My first experience with this game was slightly later - I picked it up second hand around 2004ish but haven't looked back since I've owned it. I could have had it in the Christmas 1998 bundle but I opted for Goldeneye having played that around a friends on 4 player mode and being a childhood fan of the 007 franchise.

I have never completed Mario 64 through though so should definitely look to 100% it this year. It's one of those I've always been meaning to but for whatever reason never got around to.
Edited by Milage007, Jan 11 2016, 05:06 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Culbert17
Member Avatar
Established Member
I honestly have only ever rented this game. Seeing as i was 5-8 years old when the N64 was released, I had to no choice but to either have my parents pay for my games, wait for birthday or christmas, or buy with what little money i had earned. This made me be EXTREMELY selective on what titles i would be getting and not that many at that. This one just never found its way into my possession :(.
Posted Image

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
EnvyFox
Jan 11 2016, 01:39 PM
D.J Cat
sublime1996525

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Posted Image

To add to this, I believe Mr. Blizzard (the giant snowman) in Snow Man's Land can blow your hat (as well as you) off of the bridge. You always land somewhere near it, though, so getting it back there shouldn't be difficult at all.
I'll have to look through these levels. Not playing this game for a long time I didn't even know where to start looking.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
sublime1996525
Jan 11 2016, 05:59 PM
EnvyFox
Jan 11 2016, 01:39 PM
D.J Cat

Quoting limited to 3 levels deep
Posted Image
I'll have to look through these levels. Not playing this game for a long time I didn't even know where to start looking.
Yeah it does suck when you stop playing for a while and forgot where things are and lose momentum.

So it will either be in shifty sand land on the fly guy,
The snow level (level 10) near the start
Or Tall Tall Mountain on the Monkey🐒

EDIT: I was always annoyed when I heard Diddy's voice in Smash Brawl. It was samples of that very Monkey from Tall Tall Mountain.. what's his name again...Uki or something like that.
And they used the voices from Super Mario 64 in Smash Melee too.

Also! I have a Nintendo Power Players Guide magazine for Super Mario 64.
Not cause I need it, but its super neat with maps and write ups on everything. 😎
Edited by D.J Cat, Jan 12 2016, 08:28 AM.

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply