Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Got it MADE?; Nintendo 64 controller origins
Topic Started: Jan 30 2016, 04:29 PM (6,131 Views)
No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Hello and welcome. Ever wonder where your N64 controller is made? Or why some are made in different places?
Let's find out!

MADE IN JAPANMADE IN CHINA
Mario Kart Black/GreyAll NTSC Released Solid Controllers
E3 Starfox Competition ControllerNintendo "Genuine Spare Part" Controllers
Daiei Hawks ControllerJusco Controller
U.K. PAL Launch Day Grey Controller/ with console (rubber ferrite)PAL Plastic Ferrite Controller (red)
Hello Mac ControllerMidnight Blue Controller
Geoffrey ControllerDK Controller
Playtronic Atomic Purple Controller (Brazil) All Funtastic Controllers
Playtronic Solid Controllers (Blue, Green, and Grey) (Brazil)Atomic Purple Controller (NTSC)
Hyndai Comboy Controllers (grey, red)NP100 Controller
NTSC-J Black (early)NTSC-J solids (not black)
Nintendo Merchandising Inc. Controller (employee issued/red)Millennium Controller
LodgeNet Model No. LN6400 (regular stick)
LodgeNet Model No. LN6402 gamecube-style stick)

It is a very small detail in the front of every controller that is overlooked more often than not.
I've given this topic much thought and discussion with certain members here after i noticed some slight differences in my controllers. Some were MADE IN CHINA, and some were MADE IN JAPAN.

I'll start with with the most common and known example. The japanese Mario Kart 64 bundle controller.
Posted Image

Second, is the e3 1997 Starfox64 championship controller.
Posted Image
If you want to know what makes these controllers real? - Here it is!!

Third, is an Nintendo Merchandising Inc. (NMI) Employee issued N64 controller- and owned by former employee Deborah P.
Posted Image

What does this all mean? What better place to find out! One thing is for sure, they are certainly different than normal NTSC controllers.

I believe this thread needs time to grow, so feel free to discuss. If you have any controllers that are MADE IN JAPAN and have a good camera, please post them so we can make a resource legend for them here. :yeah:
What other MADE IN JAPAN controllers are out there??

The japanese Daiei Hawks N64 controller: Courtesy of rdools
(Named for the Daiei Supermarket/Fukuoka Daiei Hawks JPB Pacific League baseball team)
Posted Image

The U.K. PAL Grey Launch-Day release N64 controller. Courtesy of cell
Posted Image

The Hyundai Comboy 64 Korean Grey N64 controller. Courtesy of Vinyl
Posted Image

The Hyundai Comboy 64 Korean Red N64 controller. Courtesy of Vinyl
Posted Image

The Toys R Us Japan exclusive GEOFFREY™ N64 controller.Courtesy ofVinyl
Posted Image

The Hello Mac exclusive N64 controller. Courtesy ofVinyl
Posted Image

The Atomic Purple Nintendo/Playtronic Brazilian N64 controller. Courtesy of Nillew
Posted Image

The Green Nintendo/Playtronic Brazilian N64 controller. Courtesy of Nillew
Posted Image

The Red Nintendo/Playtronic Brazilian N64 controller. Courtesy of Nillew
Posted Image

The Blue Nintendo/Playtronic Brazilian N64 controller. Courtesy of Nillew
Posted Image

The Anis Nintendo/Gradiente Brazilian Multi Sabores N64 controller. Courtesy of Nillew
Posted Image

The Smoke Nintendo/Gradiente Brazilian Multi Sabores N64 controller. Courtesy of Nillew
Posted Image

The Nintendo of America Product Testing 1999 N64 controller. Courtesy of SoloJones64
Posted Image

The japanese Mario Kart 64 competition Gold N64 controller. Courtesy of DarkLink
Posted Image
Edited by No64DD, Jun 10 2017, 12:11 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
veteran of the psychic wars
This is my only controller. It came with an NTSC console, so I assume it's NTSC.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Yes that is correct Bam.
It should be safe to say that all NTSC N64 controllers are MADE IN CHINA. :yeah:
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Yup. All my stuff is made in China. Including the "Genuine Spare Part".

Cool find. I'm interested to see how this thread develops!
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Thanks Kart,
i know what you mean by "Genuine Spare Part" - i would not have thought to check that avenue. Very good to know! :yeah:
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

rdools
So I took a look and found this :

All of my funtastic were China.

My 2 NP100 were China so were my M 2000 and dk.

My Hawkes is Japan
Spoiler: click to toggle

My midnight blue and jusco are both China

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
In the process of putting this thread together, i forgot that i had the Daiei controller as well. >_<

Thanks for the info! I will add your example with your credit.
If it's okay, i'm going to try and turn it horizontally.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

jonebone
Member Avatar
Interesting. Do the fake e3 controllers confirmed in population incorrectly show as Made in China?

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Good question!!
All signs point to YES!

I imagine some of you may be wondering "why is he doing this?" or " Did he just give a recipe on how to fake an e3 controller?"
:yawn: Please!

Nothing i am doing here detracts or derides the effort done in categorizing the e3 97 controller. I took a personal vow to uphold and continue it's legacy and legitimacy from the moment i owned it. I believe that it is however, only a fraction of what has been and will be presented here...
let's keep going!
Edited by No64DD, Feb 1 2016, 09:57 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
finally dude you made this topic :D

I can confirm that the following controllers:
-Hello Mac Controller
-Geoffrey Controller
-Hyundai Comboy Controller (grey)
-Hyundai Comboy Controller (red)

are made in Japan. I am unfortunately not able to make a picture at this time but I will when I can

Edit: pictures here

comboy grey:

Comboy Red:

Geoffrey/ Hello Mac

Edited by Vinyl, Feb 14 2016, 07:08 AM.
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Oooh baby!! :wub:

If you could take some well focused angled pics showing each of your examples, that would be great!
If not, i still vouch for this man and his controllers. We go back quite a way my friend! Thank you.

to be continued.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
I have not forgot you, I will try to take a picture of my gold mk64 contest tomorrow.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I'm officially excited!

If i am correct, Cabanon's MK64 Gold controller completely breaks down all laws of manufacturing tradition!

But, needless to say, pictures do help in this effort.
Bring it on!
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
This is just a first observation. I will get arround to make pics of all of my controllers eventually, I just don't really have time at the moment. Right of the bat I can almost certainly say that our observation "Made in China" or "Made in Japan" will not be completely constant.

I am almost 100% sure that all the Geoffreys, Hello Macs, E3's etc. out there are all "Made in Japan"
But with the solid controllers I can imagine that they were made in Japan at first and production then moved to China. Maybe for global production pruposes or something?

The reason I'm making this claim is the following:
Posted Image

5 Controllers are "Made in China" Only the black one is "Made in Japan"
If it had been the grey one I would say "Okay it came first, of course all the other 5 colors are "Made in China" because they came later" BUT: It's the black one.

Also look at the sides of th boxes. The red and yellow are promoting the Clear Red/White, Blue/White and the two Pokemon Controllers already. The others not. There is only one possible reason for this, and that is that the colored solid variations have different time releases, otherwise promotion would be on all of them (except gray maybe).

So my conclusion is that we will most likely find "Made in China" and "Made in Japan" in the Japanese Solids. In the USA und EU we will probably only find "Made in China" because they came so much later.
Edited by DarkLink, Feb 3 2016, 03:12 PM.
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Wow!!
I would not have expected any of the JPN solids to be MADE IN JAPAN. It's ironic.
This is quite a mindbender!
Even the Green box is the only one to use the "square" Nintendo 64 logo. :eh:
Originally, i thought that this process would deconstruct the efforts Nintendo took to avoid others from copying their "formula". And of course, Nintendo is not making it as easy as i'd like. :P

You make some great points Darklink. Thanks for all the info!

:n64:
Edited by No64DD, Feb 3 2016, 07:06 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@Darklink,
i just noticed that the placement of the controller images are all different from each other on the Green, Blue, Black, and Grey boxes!

Whew!!
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DarkLink
Member Avatar
well observed :) Hope this will not spawn me into collecting all of the variations :D
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

cell
Member Avatar
Interesting. Curious to to see where this goes.

I have two "made in Japan" N64 controllers. One is the black top/grey bottom controller packaged with the Mario Kart ntsc-J release.
The other might be more relevant. It is a standard grey pad that came with my, release day, Pal-N64. It has the the identical imprint to the "made in Japan" controllers pictured here.
I believe the "release day" time frame may be noteworthy, as the spare controllers that I purchased soon after release day (also standard grey Pal controllers) were marked "made in China".

On a more subjective note: I have a number of various official N64 controllers but early on one became my "number 1".
Yup, its the made in Japan, release day grey. This was before I ever realised the differing countries of manufacture.
This controller still has the most solid feel of all my controllers, with the Mario Kart black and grey (also "made in Japan", as pointed out earlier) being a very close second.

Coincidence? Merely subjective?

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Thanks Cell!
And welcome aboard.

You bring very interesting news to us, and for you. :yeah:

I believe your backstory on your PAL Grey controller. Please take a photo like the examples above so that we may add it to this list. I've found that natural light and an Auto-Focus camera works best.

It's also interesting that you prefer your 2 MIJ controllers over the others you own...
I noticed that my MK64 Black/Grey controller has a different feel and "texture" on the bottom half!
Food for thought. ;)
Edited by No64DD, Feb 6 2016, 04:31 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
No64DD
Feb 6 2016, 04:30 PM
I've found that natural light and an Auto-Focus camera works best.
I've found that my iPhone gives amazing quality. It's what every single one of my pictures come from. :P
Edited by Bamboozled, Feb 6 2016, 05:17 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
That's true Bam. :yeah:

Since this would be a PAL controller, it would be important to get the "Kludge" in frame as well.
That thing connected to the controller wire.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

cell
Member Avatar
Ok. Here is the standard grey controller, that came in box, with my release day Pal N64.
I have placed the ferrite "Kludge" in frame in both pictures (hope they come out ok. If not, I can try again in natural light)
Note, it is the old/orig type Pal Kludge, which had a soft rubber-like plastic around the ferrite (later ferrite parts were encased in a one piece, light plastic affair, which looked nice but are quite distinct from what is shown my photos)

It occurs to me, that there is no way to both show a close-up of the manufacture region and to show that the kludge on the cable is actually connected to the same controller, via photos.
That would take a hi def video.
Anyway, hope this is of assistance to you, No64DD.

Posted Image
Posted Image

edit: Thanks Bamboozled. Fixed now, I hope.
Edited by cell, Feb 6 2016, 08:12 PM.

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
Here are his pictures, they were written improperly.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Thanks again Bamboozled. He is good!

And thank you- cell :D

These are fantastic developments you've brought to this thread. The pictures are perfect! I will add this controller with great anticipation. We now have proof that your PAL Grey release controller is unique, and it represents something more- Not only are we getting to uncover these MIJ controller's origins, but basically, we are also getting to carbon-date them!
This is an exciting find. You should be proud.

@cell, what PAL region are you from? :rollseyes:
Edited by No64DD, Feb 6 2016, 08:44 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

cell
Member Avatar
No64DD
Feb 6 2016, 08:32 PM
Thanks again Bamboozled. He is good!

And thank you- cell :D

These are fantastic developments you've brought to this thread. The pictures are perfect! I will add this controller with great anticipation. We now have proof that your PAL Grey release controller is unique, and it represents something more- Not only are we getting to uncover these MIJ controller's origins, but basically, we are also getting to carbon-date them!
This is an exciting find. You should be proud.

@cell, what PAL region are you from? :rollseyes:
PAL region Ireland, No64DD.

I can confirm the "texture" on the Mario Kart controller.
Did my pictured grey controller have the same "texture"?
I honestly can not remember and two decades later, the texture has been worn with use (I still use it to this day, for Wave Race 64, Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing :) )
I know for sure that It "felt" different to my other controllers.

Also, I have found that with both of my made MIJ controllers, the official rumble pack and official controller pack have a more secure/tighter fit. Anybody else notice this?

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Well, Top ó the mornin' to ya sir!

I've added that detail to your controller's description. It could possibly be of importance later on.
I believe you did capture it on your pic(s), but it is still something one almost has to see and feel for theirself. :yeah:

Also, my Red NMI controller does the same "death grip" thing you speak of!
I almost feel guilty putting anything in it. :eh:
Wow.

Edited by No64DD, Feb 6 2016, 09:57 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I am enjoying this topic No64DD! Thought I might contribute something.

My LodgeNet N64 gamecube-style controller hails from CHINA:
Posted Image

This is somewhat surprising b/c I believe these were manufactured by Hori (stick style and "H" printed on board). Hori is a Japanese company and it made my N64 Mini controller (ice blue/white) at home in the land of the rising sun:
Posted Image
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Thanks Bluedog! Enjoyable indeed.

Lodgenet™... good idea!
I decided to check my Nintendo 64-style Lodgenet controller. I consider it the (1st wave) until they wisely upgraded them. These have a label instead, although it feels like it has the same imprinted plastic wording underneath. :eh:
But again, also MADE IN CHINA.
Posted Image

I know there has been thorough documentation on these controller(s), and on this site thanks to members like BDR and sanni, but with the N64-style version- not as often.

You brought up a good point about HORI™, which i consider a seal of quality as good or if not better than Nintendo™…
Upon closer look, the board inside is also made by HORI, and a standard N64 joystick housing, with the exception of having a black base.
Posted Image

We can surmise that these findings further the addage that basically every NTSC release is/was MADE IN CHINA.
However, it is mysterious how items using HORI components in both examples should've been MADE IN JAPAN. I've always said HORI is a company of many mysteries, and i still stand by it! ;)

This thread goes to show how one never knows where it wants to go, and what it wants to show us. Once again, i would not have even thought to check Lodgenet.
Who knows whats next!

Thanks again
Edited by No64DD, Feb 9 2016, 07:26 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Just noticed:

Lodgenet N64 controller with GC stlye HORI joystick- Model# LN6402
Lodgenet N64 controller with standard N64 joystick- Model# LN6400

A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
I figured I could help chip in from a PAL perspective.

I also have a made in JAPAN grey controller, which I got with my near launch console in the UK - ~June 1997.

On the side of the console box it states that the 5 coloured controllers will be made separately available in the second-half of 1997. This implies that the grey controller was available to buy individually from launch (1st March 1997) and my assumuption is that the others were released the same day as Mario Kart 64 (13th June 1997) tho I've yet to find confirmation of that.

As you know, the key difference with the European controllers is the ferrite bead, or kludge as we like to call it here. Initally they were sold coated in rubber, before a second version was released with just the plastic housing, before finally removing it all together.

My launch grey controller has the rubber coating, and I have seen examples of all 5 solid coloured controllers with the rubber coating too. Sadly I don't own any of these versions, so it is possible that they were also made in Japan, but I have extensively researched the back of their boxes and they always state that they were made in China.

I got a red controller for Christmas 1997 (box code C/NUS-A-CR-UKV-1) and it was just the plastic housing, meaning that the change happened early on. Both the controller itself and the back of the box state that it was made in CHINA. As a side note, just above this the controller is referred to as Model No. : NUS-005A (box only), however this only seems to apply to the plastic kludge version as the other 2 are both referred to as Model No. : NUS-005 in my experince.
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: