Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Got it MADE?; Nintendo 64 controller origins
Topic Started: Jan 30 2016, 04:29 PM (6,840 Views)
nintendo143
I have a solid gray MIJ that came directly from Japan. I see, from this thread, that there were solid MIJ's from brazil but I highly doubt someone from Brazil sent one to Japan and that someone from Japan put this in a Japanese box to sell it to me for the whole $15 shipped I paid for it. Anything can happen though. It says "made in china" on the box too so there's no telling. I believe it's an authentic MIJ that's actually from Japan. It's clearly not a PAL as it doesn't have the "kludge" as it's referred to on here. I read where a few people mentioned a few being made in Japan on release date that were released with the actual console but the cord material is that of what I believe to be used on the newer/later controllers towards the end of the 64's life cycle. I'm not sure if I'm correct but I believe the original cords used a very soft rubber and this is the newer perhaps cheaper rubber that's a bit more durable but probably because it's a harder cheaper material. Not sure.

Posted Image
Edited by nintendo143, Jan 1 2017, 12:35 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

nintendo143
The "playtronic" label could easily be removed. The controller is actually in near mint condition. You can tell it was played with a couple times but the matte finish on the back of the handles looks 99% perfect and the stick is 100% tight. But the fact that it says it's Made in China makes me believe that someone bought the console and an extra controller later on and stuck the original day 1 release MIJ controller in the MIC box and sold the MIC controller with the day 1 release console. My 2 cents anyways.

I'm not big on boxes. I buy a lot of stuff from Japan and I always donate my JP boxes to my local video game shop up the street because they like to display boxes on top of all the display cases and they're forever giving me a discount on something. However if it's something brand new in the box I definitely keep the box. For example I got a clear blue and a clear red JP console both in the box for $120 shipped on eBay and the boxes weren't in very good condition so I donated them. I just wanted the consoles by themselves anyways. I live in a small apartment and it's cool to be able to see my crap somewhere else without it taking up room where I live at.

Also, I feel like they source the parts from different places. I don't think the entire controller was made in JP. All the ABS injection molding I'm sure is done at the same time/place but I think they order the PCB and rolls of 3-wire cord from whoever will produce it the cheapest at the time. But I think, for all it's worth, there are a two variants of the 3 wire cord. The soft/supple easily scratched/knicked cord and the semi/shiny denser/durable cord.

A new box variant? Are you sure? Surely someone has it. I know certain people collect box variants. If I find the box doesn't belong to the controller I'd be more than happy to help get it to whoever collects box variations.

THIS CONTROLLER WIRE:
(REVERSED "RU") AWM E41447 STYLE 20276 VW-1SC HITACHI-T -F-

ONE OF MY RANDOM DAIEI HAWK CONTROLLERS IN ARMS REACH AND A RANDOM JUNGLE
(REVERSED "RU") AWM E148000 LTK STYLE 20276 80C 30V -F-

PICKED UP AN EXTREME GREEN AND IT HAD A WHOLE DIFFERENT LINE OF TEXT ON IT.

Also, both the M2K and Gold controllers "Painted controllers" all have black backs to the joystick enclosure I think it was exclusive to those controllers only? I know all of the transparent controllers have the lighter gray shade for the back of the joystick enclosure while the standard solid colors have either the darker gray variants or whatever they had lying around because it didn't matter. I think they specifically went with the light gray rear joystick enclosures for the transparent controllers like they chose to use two gray rubber pcb pieces for the L and R instead of the gray and orange they'd usually use in solid colored controllers.

Edited by nintendo143, Jan 1 2017, 06:57 PM.

nintendo143
Had to go back. Didn't see the label on the PCB. It does have a 620w sticker on the back which a BNIB JP clear black controller I bought had as well. I remember because I spent 30 minutes examining every detail because I have no life and because I wanted to see if there was a way to show it was a "clear black" and not a "smoke" although they're the same exact thing :)

Sort of excited now that this may be a true day 1 N64 controller. Would be cool if it turns out to be that. I personally, for nostalgic reasons, love the standard gray controller the most. But it just adds to the rarity. 4 US consoles were sold for every 1 JP console which makes it that much rarer but if it was only released with the first run that was released in JP in June of '96 that makes it even more rare. Too bad it'll still only be worth 15-20 bucks! Haha.

If anyone knows someone who collects box variants and want's the box they can have it for free if they can prove to me it's going to a good home. Just will have to pay ~$5 for shipping inside the US.

Posted Image

nintendo143
@LinusHofmann @No64DD - Turns out my controller has the rare joystick as well with the dips on NE and NW corners. It also has an earlier injection molding number on the bottom but a later one on the top compared to the one previously posted by @LinusHofmann - It also has the same board ('94?) - If this isn't a day one controller that came packaged with the N64 originally released in Japan in June of '96 then it's definitely a close contender for a day one "purchased separately".

So far it has a few things going for it.
- made in japan
- "620W" sticker that I've only seen in controllers that are Made in Japan.
- day one joystick "coining that term" <_>
- early injection molding identifiers

Oh, and it's near mint condition :shades:

Posted Image

Edited by nintendo143, Jan 3 2017, 12:41 AM.

nintendo143
Don't get rid of the box? I don't think it belongs to the controller. A "Made in Japan" controller inside of a box that says it's "Made in China"? I honestly, like I said before, think it came from the day 1 console and they just stuck it in the box for an extra controller they bought later on because, well let's face it, it's just a gray controller. I don't think whoever had this controller put too much thought into what box they were putting what gray controller into :lol:

Are there any reports on here of anyone else getting a controller that was made in a different country other than what was printed on the box?

I see it being quite possible after the initial consoles/controllers were made they changed the tooling to address manufacturing issues they had with the joystick enclosure or even to reduce the price 1/100th of a cent. Who knows. But if you make a million of something and turns out to be wildly successful then surely if they need to make tooling changes to reduce price, increase strength/durability/manufacturing efficiency, etc it would've been done after the first units were shipped. If it wasn't for Linus handling hundreds of Joysticks I don't think anyone would have ever noticed this incredibly slight variant.

I also think the controller itself is slightly different. I'll have to get a macro lens to take better pictures highlighting the differences. Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. Who knows. I'll upload pictures later on when I feel like pulling the controller out again.

nintendo143
No64DD

Yes, but what are the chances out of all the thumbsticks examined, that your controller has that particular one?

I know, trust me. I'm extremely lucky. After my first post I realized I hadn't refurbished that controller yet and wanted to see if it had a playtronics sticker on the board. So I decided to kill two birds with one stone. It wasn't until after I wrapped everything up and uploaded the pictures of the board that I vaguely remembered glancing over Linus' post about the one-off stick he had and I was like, "holy :pottymouth: - I swear the MIJ controller I just got done refurbishing had that exact stick on it." Sure enough. It did. If Linus didn't chime in on this thread I would have never in a million years noticed that about the joystick.

No64DD

The fact that the box is also just as rare cannot be a coincidence. Right?

I'm not trying to downplay my box. If it's an unknown variant to variant collectors then I imagine it's rare. "Keep forgetting to look at that thread you referenced." I don't think you're giving Nintendo enough credit. Surely they didn't put the wrong controller in the wrong box. It's not like I got this controller brand new in the store and opened it to find it like that. It's been floating around for 20+ years now and the box has seen better days so I'm certain it didn't come in that box. I, at least, wouldn't put any money on it anyways.

I'm sure you guys remember the odd ball prototype pictures of the n64 controller that were printed with the big stick prior to it's release.

Posted Image

Maybe, these dips were to allow that stick to move all the way up to the NW and NE corners and they just forgot to remove them from the final design? We all know even the regular ones can touch when pressed to the NW and NE corners with even mild pressure. This "day one" is no different though as I checked to see if it was worse or not. It's exactly the same. So maybe it has a shorter stick? Maybe, like Linus mentioned, the 2 of the 8 corners are slightly deeper? It's a lot to look into. That's for sure.
Edited by nintendo143, Jan 4 2017, 04:36 AM.

nintendo143
Dani, wow, that's all I can say. Whenever you start collecting and think you know a thing or two you realize you don't know :pottymouth: at all, haha. Well, I guess that's with all things though. I guess I'll hold on to the box but I really think it'd be appropriate to give it to someone who collects box variants. I just know it would be appreciated more.

My gray JP box is complete with the "leaflet" if you will and the controller cardboard. The leaflet had never been opened but I opened it just enough to peek inside and see what English there was and it says (c) 1996 Nintendo PRINTED IN JAPAN

On the front of the leaflet it says "NUS-A-CG-JPN G976335"

And NO64DD thanks for that assembler link. You're like the google of the N64 collecting world :lol:

Edit: My box says C/NUS-A-CG-JPN G784119 and my leaflet says NUS-A-CG-JPN G976335, are the G#'s serials?

Edit: No64DD, what's the difference between the two MK controllers? Don't they both say MIJ?
Edited by nintendo143, Jan 6 2017, 02:53 PM.

nintendo143
So dani, in your experience do you think the leaflet I have belongs to the controller? Would the leaflet have the same number if it belonged to box? And DD, what's the rare Mario Kart controller look like? I have two brand new MK controllers in box "the one bundled with the game" and I have 2 or 3 loose ones in mint condition laying around. Tell me what to look for.

nintendo143
Dani, so do you think my the controller belongs to the box?

nintendo143
Dani, you still alive? Also, I found one on eBay if anyone wants to get their hands on one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/292002481341

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply