Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Got it MADE?; Nintendo 64 controller origins
Topic Started: Jan 30 2016, 04:29 PM (6,079 Views)
gaavoid
Member Avatar
LinusHofmann
May 11 2016, 09:43 PM
No64DD
May 11 2016, 04:45 PM
I'm following what you're saying.
Is this what you mean by diagonal notches ?
Yep. Notice how the dust accumulates in there more than normal. It's like the notches/corners are slightly deeper so the stick doesn't bottom out as much. Even though this one is quite heavily worn.

And where the top two diagonal corners meet the smooth surrounding of the case that's where the dent in the molding is.
Hi, I have two controllers with this style joystick. Both are made in China Japanese greys that I imported from Japan last year. However I moved one over to a black PAL controller (I harvested one for parts).
The actual bezel is a different shape from what I can tell, not just the top left and right indents, so I believe these earlier controllers are just from a different mould rather than it being a production error. I've taken photos comparing the shapes of them to the sticks on an Ice blue controller. Will upload tomorrow.
Edited by gaavoid, Feb 8 2017, 06:37 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gaavoid
Member Avatar
Difficult to tell by photos but you should be able to see some differences between most controllers (I've used a Japanese Ice blue for comparison because it was nearby). I've tried to get the angles the same. You should be able to tell that these (presumably) earlier joystick modules have a slightly differently shaped bezel. Raised in some parts and deeper in others. The longer you look at the photos the differences become a little clearer than at first glance.

Stick 1 - Grey Japanese - Made in China:
Spoiler: click to toggle

Stick 2 - From grey Japanese - Made in China (now in black PAL MIC):

Stick 1+2 in comparison (profile) to Japanese Ice blue (MIC):

Stick 1 + Ice blue with flash to try to pick up better detail:

Close ups of stick 1 + Ice blue from bottom:

Close ups of stick 1 + Ice blue from top:

again with flash:

gaavoid
Member Avatar
There's an aspect I haven't captured too well but looking at it now from the bottom (centre prong/handle); the left and right parts of the bezel (between the bottom left and bottom right indents and the left and right indents) are either raised slightly higher or the bottom left and right indents are also deeper like the top left and right indents.
Whatever the reason for this change these 2 particular sticks have held up well. Both still feel fairly decent and not much wobble even though both of the controllers look pretty well used.
Edited by gaavoid, Feb 9 2017, 04:41 PM.

gaavoid
Member Avatar
Yeah, I would think that these dimpled sticks would be early production (probably all first batch Japan releases), and the next design after those proto sticks.
The "newer" shaped ones would be more mass produced after the initial run.

« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply