Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
ExciteBike 64; February Game of the Month
Topic Started: Feb 2 2016, 10:16 AM (482 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I grew up on the original, so I eagerly bought the 64 version when it was released. I enjoyed it, but nowhere near as much as the original to be honest. The graphics were great for the time, and the racing mechanics seemed spot on. What did you all think?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
I loved Excitebike 64 and really liked that it had the original in the game. I really enjoyed the racing, I raced motocross at the time so I was very into these types of games. I loved the soccer and hill climb challenge as well. Really fun multiplayer game.

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
I bought this one sometime last year, but haven't really played the main game all too much. If memory serves, I remember playing a few races and liking the tracks okay enough, but ultimately gravitated back to EA's Supercross 2000 for some reason. I think it had something to do with how the bikes controlled. :/

Now that I think about it, I spent a lot more time on the original Excitebike game (which comes with Excitebike 64). It's so simple yet so thrilling to try to reach the finish line in time.
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
I really like Excitebike 64 the controls feel good, tracks are decent, graphics aren't bad there isn't much fog like some racers either. Offers something different to the other racer games on the system. I haven't played the predecessor so have nothing to compare it to.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
This was one of the first games I bought when I got back into the N64. I remember it sorta being one of the last top notch N64 titles back then.

I played quite a bit of it and really enjoyed it. It's not the original, but it stands solidly on its own!
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Back in the day I recommend Excitbike to some mates.
They were all into motorbike and that and this game had the best reviews
They loved it, and I enjoyed it when I played but couldn't compete with them.

Got the game for myself in 2007 for a great price and have loved playing it.
Much like Wave Race and 1080 it has that perfect learning curve and fantastic physics.
Easy to learn, hard to master.
Played through the first cup last night and eased back into it on Ametuer difficulty.
Won the cup pretty easy and broke my old record for Leftys Mill!
I love how I manage to retain my skills pretty well 😎

I will post my time tonight.
Wonder if there is PAL/NTSC time difference?

EDIT: 00:57.36 is my Hot Lap 😏

And 01:57.32 is my race time.

It's probably nothing special, but something to aim for 😊
Posted Image
Edited by D.J Cat, Feb 6 2016, 10:23 AM.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I never played the original back in the day and I've never played this one but its been on my wish list for a long time. Enjoyed a few MTX games on the PS2 back in the day.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Please watch every second of this video:
https://youtu.be/S4W5zhXG2uU

There's no need to explain nothing else :-P

The only small flaw of the game is the absence of some really epic musics.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
@Italia: Welcome back! Where you been hiding? 😜

@Buddy: Yeah it's a great game.
The physics and the courses are great.
Oh! Did I mention that there is a track editor!
Had great fun with that back in the day.
Kinda makes me wish the Dex Drive or something similar took off.

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
D.J Cat
Feb 9 2016, 09:03 AM
@Italia: Welcome back! Where you been hiding? 😜
Hey mate. I'm working on F-1 Racing Championship records. Nillew opened a section on Cyberscore, so I want to set some ultimate times.
I'm battling against an incredibly good Italian gamer. Unfortunately my thumb is now injured, due the battle haha. And the thumbstick is gone. So I have to wait for a new controller and I have to make my thumb rest for a while :-P
Edited by italia64, Feb 9 2016, 09:02 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

KnightlyGaming
Member Avatar
I just added this to my collection. Never played it as a kid. So far I am admittedly unimpressed... Seems good enough but the tracks so far aren't anything super interesting and the controls are a little hard to get used to. Still fun, but not as much fun as I was expecting from all the positive things I hear about it. Then again, racing games aren't really my thing usually (except kart racers) so that could explain it.
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
@Knightly: Yeha, the game definitely takes a bit to get used to.
It becomes way more enjoyable once you get a feel for the controls.

Try using Z+B to do sharp turns around corners.
And holding down on the stick when you Turbo before a jump to get more air and fly further.

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Yes, in order to have fun with this game you have to learn:
- how to do sharp curves (with R if I don't remember wrong)
- how to use (and how to save) the turbo before jumps
- how to jump in order to land in the right point (for example, if there are 4 dunes, you have to land in the downhill between the second and the third)
- pay attention to your opponents and try to hit them
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Those things are pretty much it.
The way taking out opponents works is quite brutal, especially when it happens to you.
Basically, if the back wheel touches someone else's front wheel, they "*eat dirt!" (As the commentator says).
Can be frustrating but once you learn it and use it to your advantage it's all good.
Mostly because you get all your Turbo back!
Sort of like how F-Zero X rewards you with a little energy and a life for every 5 kills...Nintendo's way of rewarding you for being super violent in a racing game 😊😁

Any more hot laps from anyone?
Any level?

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Won an auction for this last night, looking forward to finally trying this game out :yeah:
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

LinusHofmann
Member Avatar
Played it for the first time a couple years ago, enjoyed it but never sunk enough time into it to get really good.

I think I spent the most time just blasting around in the infinite desert landscape mode. :D
The handling and suspension physics really flaunt their stuff on that terrain, great sense of speed too. Not sure if any of the tracks really took full advantage of the mechanics in a similar way.

I should keep an eye out for an NTSC copy.

Posted Image

20th Anniversary Joystick Refurb - Stainless steel and Teflon components!
My Twitter

Intendall64
Member Avatar
Won this in an auction the other day, looking forward to giving it a go!

TofuJunky87
Member Avatar
Do you tofu?
This is a great game, not only for racing but stunts to. You really do have to get used to the controls and it is best to learn from the tutorial or read the manual. Otherwise, you may not "get" it.
Current 64 Collection: Grey, Jungle, Fire, Ice, Smoke, Watermelon, Grape, Gold, JP Blue/Clear, Daiei Hawks
Current Game Count: 324
Current Controller Count: 32

:n64: 4ever

Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
TofuJunky87
Feb 21 2016, 09:53 PM
This is a great game, not only for racing but stunts to. You really do have to get used to the controls and it is best to learn from the tutorial or read the manual. Otherwise, you may not "get" it.
:yeah: right
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

aussie1982
Member Avatar
I played the original as a kid, haven't had this version for too long but my son loves it, he is only 4 so not really great at playing but i think he just loves the bikes in it lol
Help! looking for boxed rush 2049 and flying dragon...:)

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I have not played Excitebike nearly as extensively as the original on the NES, but it's interesting to see how the gameplay ties into the original even though the graphics are completely different, especially the use of turbos, overheating, attention to landing angle and crashing.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
@TofuJunky87, played 10 minutes of this for the first time last night and so far "i dont get it" so I will take your advice and try the tutorial :yeah: seems pretty good though
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

TofuJunky87
Member Avatar
Do you tofu?
buddy1983
Feb 22 2016, 07:20 AM
@TofuJunky87, played 10 minutes of this for the first time last night and so far "i dont get it" so I will take your advice and try the tutorial :yeah: seems pretty good though
I felt the same way the first time I played it. While I liked the overall game and what they were trying to accomplish, I didn't understand how to play it properly because I couldn't make bigger jumps and land on the far side of the burms, and I had trouble making sharp corners. I found it frustrating...

...until I played the tutorial, which taught me turbo, preloading the suspension for higher jumps, using the sharp turn buttons, and so on. Then it "clicked" and suddenly I loved it. The tutorial also teaches you stunts but stick to the general controls first to run fast laps. Performing "Supermans" will come later ;)
Current 64 Collection: Grey, Jungle, Fire, Ice, Smoke, Watermelon, Grape, Gold, JP Blue/Clear, Daiei Hawks
Current Game Count: 324
Current Controller Count: 32

:n64: 4ever

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Wait, there's a tutorial???

I should check it out. Might learn a thing or 2 😱

Something I like about this, wave race and 1080 is the ability to move about in the air to control your landing and try and make your self line up with the water/snow/dirt.
Edited by D.J Cat, Feb 22 2016, 09:07 AM.

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
D.J Cat
Feb 22 2016, 09:04 AM
Wait, there's a tutorial???

I should check it out. Might learn a thing or 2 😱

Something I like about this, wave race and 1080 is the ability to move about in the air to control your landing and try and make your self line up with the water/snow/dirt.
I used to race motocross and I thought this game was so lifelike back in the day.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply