Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Monster Cable for N64; Help with cords/hooking up
Topic Started: Feb 13 2016, 09:21 PM (730 Views)
N644me
saw a monster cable for N64/GameCube at a second hand store and know i have seen them online for $80 or more. So I asked how much and, when I heard $15 I thought it was a steal. However in my haste I didn't realize that it did not have s/video just the standard three connectors. Is this cable still worth it or did I pay too much?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
Not sure how much they're worth but I expect you'd get at least $15 back for it on eBay just based on the fact that it's made by Monster, even though it's just a composite cable.

Monster s-video cables are good but not worth the $70-$80 they go for. I did a test of the 3 (supposedly) best s-video cables; The Monster and 2 variants of Nintendo's official cables (which are quite a bit cheaper), & there's no difference.

I always use Nintendo's official stuff, but Bluedogrulez mentioned that he couldn't see a difference between an official s-video cable and a $7 generic s-video cable he bought:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7428822/1/

So unless you have one of the funtastics with the better composite output, you'd probably find you'd get a much better image out of one of those $7 cables than that monster composite cable anyway.

EDIT: It would be worth doing a bit of research if you go for a cheap s-video cable as it's a bit hit & miss & some of them really are bad!
Edited by andyk2003, Feb 14 2016, 03:03 AM.
My CRT thread:

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
Not an expert but here are my 2 cents. I think monster cables are way overpriced for what they are. The are to cables as Dre Beats are to headphones, overpriced and over hyped. Honestly you could by the Amazon basics HDMI cable for $7 (which I did for my 4k monitor) and you will get the same picture quality. The only thing I would watch when buying cables is if they are gold plated and what they are rated for (1080, 720 and so on). You asked about composite / s video but here is a great example of how high price isn't high grade.

On a side tangent, I dont like Dre's at all, they look cool but are a waste of money. The quality is ok but you are paying for the box, oh and that box wont list any of the stats of the headphones which is kind of important. Thats what really gets me, you can buy a $2 pair at Walmart and they list the stats of the headphones, Beats, well good luck.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Here is a cool article Engadget wrote up comparing a monster cable to a coat hanger, yes you read that right.

Monster Cable vs. Coat Hanger
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
Pimpin Mainer
Feb 18 2016, 12:00 PM
Here is a cool article Engadget wrote up comparing a monster cable to a coat hanger, yes you read that right.

Monster Cable vs. Coat Hanger
Mmmm Egyptian llama cable. Do want!!!!! Lol

Cabanon
Elite
Pimpin Mainer
Feb 14 2016, 08:49 PM
Not an expert but here are my 2 cents. I think monster cables are way overpriced for what they are. The are to cables as Dre Beats are to headphones, overpriced and over hyped. Honestly you could by the Amazon basics HDMI cable for $7 (which I did for my 4k monitor) and you will get the same picture quality. The only thing I would watch when buying cables is if they are gold plated and what they are rated for (1080, 720 and so on). You asked about composite / s video but here is a great example of how high price isn't high grade.

On a side tangent, I dont like Dre's at all, they look cool but are a waste of money. The quality is ok but you are paying for the box, oh and that box wont list any of the stats of the headphones which is kind of important. Thats what really gets me, you can buy a $2 pair at Walmart and they list the stats of the headphones, Beats, well good luck.
typical dre's bashing. I don't care what people says but I love my studio hd headphones. I have them since 5 years and I've never been happier with the build and sound quality. in fact im listening to music while writing this.

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Hey glad you like them, I've had bad experiences with them and some of my friends have too. They are not the worst but I still think they cost more than they should. I bought a pair of Sennheiser head phones for less than Dre's but I have equal quality. It's mostly the price that bothers me.
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Feb 18 2016, 09:43 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
veteran of the psychic wars
I'm still just sitting here, wondering what all the craze over them is for. :mellow: They cost waaaaay too much, in my opinion.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Bamboozled
Feb 18 2016, 09:46 PM
I'm still just sitting here, wondering what all the craze over them is for. :mellow: They cost waaaaay too much, in my opinion.
Can't put a price on quality mate. I can hardly talk though I ride the storm with a HD TV and scart. :rollseyes:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Yes you can, and its $100 dollars less than Dre's. With Dre's your paying for the marketing and the packaging. Haha this was about Monster cables and now where ranting about Dre's
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Feb 19 2016, 09:30 AM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I have one Monster cable. An S-Video cable for my PS2. I never noticed much difference, but then again I was hooking it to a $150 Magnavox TV back in the day. Guess I should try it on the Trinitron I have now and see if I notice a difference.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
Pimpin Mainer
Feb 18 2016, 09:42 PM
Hey glad you like them, I've had bad experiences with them and some of my friends have too. They are not the worst but I still think they cost more than they should. I bought a pair of Sennheiser head phones for less than Dre's but I have equal quality. It's mostly the price that bothers me.
no problem man, I paid 250$ (well my wife since it was an x-mas gift) around 4 years ago. I wouldn't have paid full retail as I thought it was too much money for any brand of headphones, period.

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
veteran of the psychic wars
The price, is a smack in the face.
With a chair.

I think we can relate our convo about Dre's to the Monster cable.
An overhyped, overpriced product. :P
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
Nice connection there Bam, glad we stayed on topic X_D

I bought myself a pair of Sennheiser HD 515 Audiophiles for $100 and have loved the quality I got for that price. Soon after I bought those I traveled to Europe to study media and culture. When I was in France I visited this beautiful underground sound research center. The whole building was built underground and was suspended in a slightly larger concreat base to recude any sound they might get from the ground. Kind of like the was a spider mount works for a microphone. Nonetheless while I was exploring the research center I noticed in one of the offices I walked by had several sets of the same headphones I bought. I even saw several people sitting around 30 speakers (not making that up I have pictures to back me up) whilst wearing those headphones. Scientists are crazy. Anyway I was just happy to see people who study sound wearing the same as me, made me feel better about my purchase.

Dre's and Monster may make good products but they are over priced and made extra shinny to impress the market with there looks.

I found this cool article by Gizmodo that talks about how Monster made Dre beats but made the worst deal with Jimmy and Dre and later lost all their work and patents. So its almost like the companies are related.
Beat by Dre
Edited by Pimpin Mainer, Feb 19 2016, 03:16 PM.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93

Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Hooking up the N64 to modern TVs · Next Topic »
Add Reply