Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The ultimate N64 joystick refurb? SS + teflon; N64 joystick extensively refurbished and improved with metal and teflon components
Topic Started: Feb 17 2016, 05:46 PM (36,965 Views)
bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Hey, you have bigger fish to fry! I will look into it on my end. I have a dremel, lol, but no other relevant tools or experience :D :facepalm:
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LinusHofmann
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Dec 15 2016, 05:07 PM
Hey, you have bigger fish to fry! I will look into it on my end. I have a dremel, lol, but no other relevant tools or experience :D :facepalm:
Would be my first time attempt at doing stamped letters or engraving too. I just ordered some tiny letter stamps to experiment with.

I suspect cnc (or very skilled hand) engraving is the way to go for a really nice result. But potentially stamping the letters quite deep, then sanding/lapping the top surface flat again could look quite nice. Might also be an idea to spraypaint or epoxy fill the letters a different colour before sanding back.

But yeah, it's something I'd have to experiment with too. :)

Linus

Posted Image

20th Anniversary Joystick Refurb - Stainless steel and Teflon components!
My Twitter

cleftkirby
Member Avatar
what about etching?
Posted Image

LinusHofmann
Member Avatar
cleftkirby
Dec 16 2016, 10:53 PM
what about etching?
Yep that would certainly work well for brass/copper buttons!

Would be awesome if people took my plain buttons and tried stuff like this. I'd love to see that! :)
Truly endless possibilities for customization.

Other options would be to combining CNC/etched patterns with baked glass enamelling :smokin:

Linus
Edited by LinusHofmann, Dec 17 2016, 10:19 AM.
Posted Image

My Twitter

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
With SteelSticks64, it is literally like picking up a brand new controller EVERY TIME!
It has and maintains the smooth control and feel, and the resounding "clak" sound everytime you hit each angle.

So far, i have been using the OEM cap. It retains the original feel.
The Black Delrin is more lightweight and has more grip. I have not been able to get comfortable using it on MK64, but perhaps that's just me.
Both caps become equally superior to standard thumbsticks, but each may be better suited for different games and gaming styles.
Edited by No64DD, Dec 19 2016, 07:08 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Guys I need one soon as possible...unfortunately on the website aren't available :-(
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

LinusHofmann
Member Avatar
italia64
Dec 20 2016, 12:07 PM
Guys I need one soon as possible...unfortunately on the website aren't available :-(
Sorry for the delay.
I sent you a reply PM but unfortunately there's not much I can do to get you a stick right now. Wait-list and all.

That said we do have a forum member or two who are on the list and decided not to take me up on the stick offer from the first batch.
I haven't yet moved on to offering sticks to the next batch of people so there's still a stick or two that's technically theirs to claim.

Maybe if they see this and come forward to help you get a stick we could work something out?

Posted Image

My Twitter

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Many thanks for replied!
Would be great, thanks.
If you want add me on the wait list, or please link me the way to join it. I didn't find this option on the mobile site.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I don't think he's adding anymore people to the wait list right now either. I imagine the list would grow faster than the sticks can be made.

Good news is, I bet you'll be able to buy a SteelStick before you'll be able to buy a NES Classic Edition. ;)
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Rafingon
Almost never posted on the forum, but I got to do it this time just to congratulate Linus for the whole project, it's really great what you're doing for all the N64 enthusiasts around the world, and I'm writing this from Brazil. Keep up the good work! Hope that by this date next year we all shall be able to order some units.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Need to throw our 2016 Modder of the Year some more love. I've begun tooling around with SWE1R again, and just set a new personal (and site) best (lap 2) with a steel stick:
Posted Image
Hearing "It's a NEW lap record" for the first time in YEARS was a real thrill. Smashing my personal best by 4 tenths of a second on Mon Gazza is a real tribute to the performance of Linus' steel sticks. It's the shortest course and precision is absoutely key. Thanks Linus!

UPDATE: Bested my 3-lap and single lap records this morning with the steel stick :dance:
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jan 22 2017, 10:33 AM.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
That's awesome! Mine should be here tomorrow. It literally went around the world 1.5 times to get to me lol.

LinusHofmann
Member Avatar
Awesome stuff! Love seeing people set new personal records with something I built! :yeah:

Yeah unfortunately sublime's stick took the scenic route with an unwanted detour over the alps... :facepalm: ...but I'm very glad it arrived safely on the second attempt!
Posted Image

My Twitter

festdawg
Want to first say, very awesome work. I have recently started collecting many of the n64 games I used to own but have 4-5 controllers with pretty much non-useable sticks. After trying out all the various replacements (and actually getting one of the hori mini pads delivered from Japan) I have stumbled upon this thread. Needless to say I am extremely interested and was disappointed to see these sticks are currently unavailable. I would love to jump on the list for one of these as soon as possible! This is a very cool concept. I am blown away that someone has created such a great alternative for the sad old 64 stick. Once again thanks for the great work and let me know what I need to do to get on this list :yeah:

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
It's time for me to get on this list as well, when, and if, you start taking orders again.
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for.

LinusHofmann
Member Avatar
Glad you guys are interested, best I can do right now is direct you to sign up for my newsletter/mailing list Here That way I can at least notify interested people when something changes regarding the waiting list.

I also recently made some steel N64 start buttons (regular height) and had fun experimenting with various "heat anodized" or blued finishes.
If anyone here is interested in grabbing one, I've got a range of them available on my Store and there's still an offer for free worldwide shipping valid until tomorrow!
Coupon code "freeshipjan17"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

My Twitter

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
Oh those are awesome!!! I want one!!!

Vaudane
Member Avatar
Literally decided to move from a skulker to signing up to N64 Forever because of these things. Signed up to your mailing list Linus! These look unbelievable.

Quick question - you say you use OEM parts, does that mean you still use the ABS gears or did you copy Kitsch and use polyprop?

Madsmaten
I would love to write an article about the steelsticks!
I have tried to PM you a couple of times, without any luck.
Please let me know if something becomes available!

Awesome work!

Cabanon
Elite
Madsmaten
May 6 2017, 07:15 AM
I would love to write an article about the steelsticks!
I have tried to PM you a couple of times, without any luck.
Please let me know if something becomes available!

Awesome work!
https://twitter.com/SteelSticks64

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Have any big-time Super Smash Bros. tournaments been won with these sticks yet? People are still playing SSB64 competitively, right? I haven't kept up with the scene like I used to so I'm woefully out of the loop.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Aug 11 2017, 07:23 AM
Have any big-time Super Smash Bros. tournaments been won with these sticks yet? People are still playing SSB64 competitively, right? I haven't kept up with the scene like I used to so I'm woefully out of the loop.
I think I saw a couple Smash guys on Twitter a while back get steel sticks but I think they were just testing them out before the final product for Linus. The Smash 64 scene is still going strong along with Melee. There was just a big tournament last weekend called Genesis 5!

Posted Image

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
Thanks to being on Twitter at just the right moment last week I was able to purchase a replacement bowl.

Posted Image

I debated which controller of mine to refurbish - the more mint one, or my original Atomic Purple that I've had since I got the system. Nostalgia won out.

Posted Image

The old bowl had indeed seen better days.

Posted Image

There's a little slop in the gears as I haven't bought new ones yet, but the stick feels much better now. At least I won't feel bad using it with the worry of wearing it down!

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
I love Linus.

« Previous Topic · Modding, Repairs & Custom Projects · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: