Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The man who made 'the worst video game in history'
Topic Started: Feb 22 2016, 08:50 AM (284 Views)
alxbly
Member Avatar
Ancient
I thought this was an interesting article about the man who coded the infamous ET game for Atari:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35560458
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Cool story. You feel bad for someone who knocks themselves out trying to meet a goal and failing. But kinda makes my disdain for the game even more: Atari was so arrogant about us stupid consumers . . .
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I watched a great documentary on Netflix about him and E.T. ordeal in general. It was really good and gave me a new perspective on the whole deal. Felt very bad for him.

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
veteran of the psychic wars
Now I'm never gonna make an ET joke.
Posted Image
Posted Image

TofuJunky87
Member Avatar
Do you tofu?
Not gonna lie, I was expecting this topic to be about Superman 64. Lol but ET works too I guess.
Current 64 Collection: Grey, Jungle, Fire, Ice, Smoke, Watermelon, Grape, Gold, JP Blue/Clear, Daiei Hawks
Current Game Count: 324
Current Controller Count: 32

:n64: 4ever

Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
veteran of the psychic wars
I'm not gonna lie.

I actually enjoy Superman 64. :-8
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I'm not gonna lie.

I always enjoyed E.T. and would buy a copy if I ever desired to pick up an Atari 2600 again.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I'm Wii U friends with the guy that made that Meme Run game :)
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
There's an interesting page about how to fix some of the game's flaws. Even if you have no interest in ever playing the game (like me, I doubt I'd every try it) it's still an interesting read. The game was apparently fairly original in that it pioneered some features that later became common in games, according to the article, and the bug/flaw fixes are interesting to read about.

http://www.neocomputer.org/projects/et/

And programming the Atari 2600 sounds really difficult. It didn't even have video RAM, instead you had to directly write to the screen by writing the correct colour at exact time that the screen update was occurring at the place where the hypothetical pixel would have been. And the CPU was so slow that you'd really have to work to time your program's 'video writes' at the correct time whilst still doing the necessary CPU work for the rest of the game. All that, plus the game cartridges were mainly limited to 4kb or even 2kb! Though later games did break the 8kb barrier, and apparently at least one 32kb game was released for the 2600.

And it only had 128 bytes of RAM, so you couldn't even use comprehensive compression on the data in the cartridge and extract it to the RAM and run it uncompressed from there.

windydoom
i love watching horrible video games lol

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply