Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
New Nintendo 64 Forever Forum Theme Contest; Artist's Needed!
Topic Started: Apr 1 2016, 11:54 AM (1,234 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
To celebrate our 10th anniversary, we are giving interested members a chance to make a custom forum theme. Those themes will be voted on, and a winner chosen by member poll. The winner will have their theme featured as an available option for all our members.

So how will this work?
1. Anybody interested in making a theme will have until April 8th to say so here.

2. Those members will be given special permissions on our control panel to make and edit themes.

3. Entrants will be responsible for creating their own color patterns, buttons, original banners, etc. These images will need to be ORIGINAL artwork. The use of official Nintendo logos or other copyrighted material will not be permitted. When in doubt, ask a staffer ;)

4. They will keep their themes private until it comes time to debut them on the 22nd of April. This gives them 2 full weeks to get done.

5. Members will have the rest of the month to try out and vote on the entries. At the end of the month the voting will end, and the winner will be crowned.

If anybody is interested. please say so here. If there are questions, myself or other staff will be happy to help. :yeah:

I am giving a $20 Nintendo, PSN, or XBOX gift card to the winner of the poll at the end (winners choice) :yeah:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
veteran of the psychic wars
I want to join, please!
This seems exciting! I already got an idea! :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Sure thing :yeah:

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
I have a question:
Does the theme need to be timeless or can it say, "Nintendo 64 Forever Est. April 5, 2006" or, "Celebrating 10 Years"?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
What an awesome idea! and I also have a few questions,

How to actually make a theme? just make 1 Jpeg? what is the size of the background and the banner? Are we allowed to use Nintendo Icons like Mario? (Lithiums theme has it for example)

thanks!
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
Vinyl's post gives me another question:
Can we use the existing logo of the forum in our theme? As in, the logo in "Classic"?
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
@ Bam - Timeless would be better, but that's not saying you couldn't include either of those things. It is something we are proud of. I do not see any issue with using classic banner in some form or another. I would not use Mac's, Lithiums, or Norcals though, as it was their own custom work of course

@ Vinyl - I have never made one myself. There is a template in the control panel that you all would gain access to. The first thing you would likely do is to create a new theme using one of the others as a starting point. you name it, and upload your banner. It has another section to insert the images to be used for buttons and such. The rest of the editing for layout appears to be done in the form of editing a text box that has what looks like html coding in it.

It will require some work, especially to make it look good. It doesn't have to be anything fancy though. Though Lithium's theme features characters and hasn't raised any issues, it is best avoided. Using pictures of the system and controllers and such is probably best. Mac's and Norcal's themes are excellent examples of this. I would advise anybody interested to study all the current themes and get an idea of what they hope to accomplish before taking it on. As I said, it does not have to be complex. Make a banner, make new button images if you like, perhaps a background, and tweak the colors if you like :yeah:

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
(Why do I have so many questions?! Final one... I hope)
When will this template be available?
Posted Image
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
I am interested. 8)
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
@ rocky - great :yeah:

@ Bam - I will give you access to the control panel on the 8th. In the mean time maybe get your banner/buttons ready, and your plans ready to roll out. You may be able to find further help on how to do the themes better by searching google for help with zetaboard themes

850 x 88 are the pixel measurements for the classic banner. I am at work though, currently have no way to double check that. The banners would need to be that or very close most likely.

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
Thank you so much stinger!
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hey, thank you all! Wouldn't be much of a contest without participants, or much of a forum without our members :yeah:

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Any others wanting to try their hand at it?

I am giving a $20 Nintendo, PSN, or XBOX gift card to the winner of the poll at the end (winners choice) :yeah:

Norcal
Member Avatar

Good luck to the participants. ;)
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
Norcal
Apr 4 2016, 09:30 PM
Good luck to the participants. ;)
The master himself! I've been using your theme from the start. :wub:
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
I'd be interested in having a go at this
Posted Image

woz_brown
Sign me up :D
UK based PAL CIB collector

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Great, so far I have:

Bamboozled
Vinyl
Rocky
danilochka
woz_brown
Disco_Stu
Pimpin Mainer

If I have missed anybody, please let me know. I am excited to have so many interested :yeah:
Edited by stinger9142, Apr 9 2016, 06:20 AM.

Disco_Stu
Member Avatar
Am I too late to apply for this? :unsure:
Stu

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Nope, you are in time! I will give you all access as Admin Assistants right now, and will add anybody else that speaks up before today is up. This should give you access to the admin control panel (Only able to view and edit the theme section.)

If you have questions, please let me know. Most of this will require trial and error on YOUR part, as I have never made a theme myself, and do not have time to try it out. Keep your theme in progress private from regular viewers by selecting "disabled" until it is time to debut them :yeah: *Please take extra care to NOT EDIT any of the current themes!*
**You are all added as Admin Assistants now***
Edited by stinger9142, Apr 8 2016, 11:07 AM.

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
stinger9142
Apr 8 2016, 11:03 AM
**You are all added as Admin Assistants now***
Now the famous Nintendo quote "Now you are playing with power" really comes in my mind now xD

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
So confused right now...
I'm not technical at all... And I can't fathom what anything does... :-/
Edited by Bamboozled, Apr 8 2016, 03:34 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Vinyl :lol:

Bam, I understand. I wish I could offer technical advice, but I am out of my comfort zone there. you have two weeks to feel your way through it. I recommend creating a new theme based off of the classic theme and just modifying it as you see fit. Make it easier on yourself.

**NOTE** - You all will be responsible for naming your theme as well :yeah:

Rocky
Member Avatar
I'm already having a lot of fun trying to reverse engineer everything. Definitely got my work cut out for me. :P
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Glad to hear it, and excited to see all of your alls' work!

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
Sign me up!
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image

Matt
Member Avatar
Kick, Punch, It's all in the mind
Tempted to try... but can't commit to anything since I don't have a clue how theming these sites work and I may be busy over the next few weeks...
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Mainer, you are added!

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
With some well-needed help from Vinyl, I've figured out the basics of the theme's code and all that. I think I can be a serious contender now! :D :D :D

Thanks Vinyl!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
and you are very welcome,

I don`t know any CSS/JAVA but I did implemented an easteregg in my theme ;) i`ll show ya when it's live.
it's no secret of how to change the theme so I made a very small guide with very basic info about it. It only shows the basic things, not everything.. rest are pretty easy to figure out if ya do a little research.

(hopefully it's allowed to show Zetaboard things here):

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · OFFICIAL 10TH ANNIVERSARY FORUM · Next Topic »