Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NTSC-J (Japanese) Master Listing; Full Breakdown of Japanese Region N64 Games
Topic Started: Apr 14 2016, 06:18 PM (1,253 Views)
ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
Objective:
The purpose of this particular guide/article/discussion thread is to help collectors identify every N64 game released in the NTSC-J (Japan) region. It will also be the place to have an on-going discussion on various smaller arguments regarding different “collecting” nuances. I will continue to make modifications to the information in this original post as we continue to expand and gather or find new data.

Game Database/List
To start off, we will need a full/master database in order to reference all of the games. The following table is my own personal organization of the NTSC-J games as they are translated from Japanese to English, and organized alphabetically.

Open For Full NTSC-J Game List

Total Number of Games ???
One of the biggest unknown and most/constantly debated discussions when it comes to NTSC-J region of N64 games is the overall number of unique titles that were released. In fact, there are several answers to this question as seen in the various arguments listed here.

UNIQUE GAMES (REVISION 0 ONLY): Total = 196
Those who say there are only 196 NTSC-J games believe that you only count games which have a unique, in-game design. This means that you disregard any variations in the game box, bundled items, cartridge sticker, and serial number. In fact, one of the most controversial things that gets thrown out is the “rumble” feature that 2 particular games got included in a later revision of the game with a different release date… those games are NOT counted separately.

SERIAL NUMBERS (ALL REVISIONS): Total = 198
Very similar to the previous argument where none of the outer game box information or bundled editions are considered – except this time the 2 “rumble” (aka “shindou” 振動) games are included. This particular list of 198 games recognizes that Super Mario 64 and Wave Race 64 had the “rumble” revisions released with unique box art, bar code, game cartridge stickers, and serial number (in which a “-1” was added to call out the different revision).

Open for pictures of Super Mario 64 Shindou Edition and Wave Race 64: Kawasaki Jet Ski Shindou Edition

This list of 198 NTSC-J games with unique/different serial numbers is one of the more commonly accepted lists for game collectors.

GAME BOX VARIANTS (CONTROLLER PAK EDITION + RED STRIPE): Total = 202
The argument for 202 NTSC-J games takes into account all serials but also adds 4 more games which are broken down into two categories...

2 of these games were released as a “controller pak edition”. It should be noted that while there were a total of 4 games that were released as a “controller pak edition”…only 2 of them had BOTH a “controller pak edition” and a “non-controller pak edition”. As such, the 2 games that didn’t get a “non-controller pak edition” (Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 4 and Wonder Project J2) are not counted twice. The 2 games that had both editions are 64 Oozumo and Doubutsu no Mori. Both of these games had somewhat unique/different box art that identified each version, and both games had a different bar code from their “non-controller pak edition”.

Open for pictures of 64 Oozumo Controller Pak Edition and Doubutsu no Mori Controller Pak Edition

The other 2 games that are added to this list were included in a “big box” bundle but had different box art from their stand-alone release of the game. Perfect Dark and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask were these 2 games. All other “big box” bundle games were the same as their stand-alone versions (no identifying characteristics to tell the difference). These 2 games are sometimes called the “red stripe” variants because their cover box art featured a heavy red stripe design calling out the necessity of a N64 expansion pak to properly play the game – although this is a bit confusing because the standalone version of The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask was the one with the red-band (while the bundled version of Perfect Dark was the one with the red-band).

Open for pictures of Perfect Dark standalone edition vs. "big box" edition (red stripe)

Open for pictures of Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask standalone edition (red stripe) vs. "big box" edition

BARCODES: Total = 210
This list of 210 NTSC-J games is rather self-explanatory – if it has a unique barcode, it gets counted as part of the list. All “big box” bundles have a unique barcode for the outer box that is different from the game that is included inside. As such, most “big box” bundles are now counted twice and those games are:

1.) Choro Q (チョロQ64) Model Car Edition
2.) Densha de Go! 64 Engineers Pack (電車でGO!64 運転士さんパック) VRF Unit Edition
3.) Donkey Kong 64 (ドンキーコング64) Expansion Pak Edition
4.) Mario Kart 64 (マリオカート64) Controller Edition
5.) Mario no Photopie (マリオのふぉとぴー) SD Card Edition
6.) Pikachu Genki Dechu (ピカチュウげんき) VRF Unit Edition
7.) Pocket Monsters Stadium (ポケモンスタジアム) Transfer Pak Edition
8.) Star Fox 64 (スターフォックス64) Rumble Pak Edition

It should be noted that the previously mentioned 2 games, Perfect Dark and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, actually were never given a bar-code for their “big box” version of the bundled game inside the box. As such, these 2 variants were not counted a second time due to their lack of a unique barcode.

Open for picture of Perfect Dark and Majora's Mask "big box" edition showing NO BARCODE

EVERY VARIANT: Total = 212
The most extensive list puts the total count at 212 NTSC-J games which accounts for every single variant. It combines all of the different nuances already described: serial numbers, game revisions (“rumble” edition), game box variants, and unique barcodes (“big box” bundles).

This list of 212 NTSC-J game variants should be the most complete/comprehensive for hardcore full CIB collectors.
Edited by ddr2nite, Apr 14 2016, 06:37 PM.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Cabanon
Apr 15 2016, 07:48 AM
im pretty sure i've seen both version of Wonder Project J2. maybe im wrong tho.
Never have I seen a Wonder Project J2 without the cardboard tray + memory card. I'm sure there's the slim possibility that someone "frankenstein'd" a version where they swapped in a plastic game tray. There would be no way to tell for sure if that's an original, and even then it would likely not be a reasonable argument since it didn't get its own separate box or barcode.

But if you can manage to find a picture... that would be a start.

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
No64DD
Oct 6 2016, 01:24 PM
Even though Neon Genesis: Evangelion is not always found in this complete condition, there were some sort of cards included.
Do you know if there were different cards, or were they all the same?

Good question, and there were also some other games which also had "collectible" cards included in the box. One that comes immediately to mind is Donkey Kong 64 (it came with 2 cards). I could be wrong, but most of these collectible items were rather consistent - which is to say that they were always the same cards. I usually inspect those "bonus" items for the games that came with them to find any differences, and I don't think I've ever encountered a game that came with different items in box such that you may need to buy multiple copies to get a "full set".

" - MK II

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Cabanon
Oct 6 2016, 06:40 PM
was wondering of the sdcard for Mario no photopia are listed ? I think there's 4 or 5 different card ?
Yeah those are pretty tough to find, but they aren't listed here because I think most people would agree that they fall into the "accessories" category. So basically they are not listed here for the same reasons that we don't list all of the controller variations here. I don't exactly know how those SD/smart media cards are different when plugged into the Mario no Photopi game cartridge. Maybe we want to start a separate thread to discuss it...

" - MK II

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Nintendo 64 Guides, FAQs, and Information · Next Topic »
Add Reply