Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Original vs. Virtual Console
Original Release 26 (83.9%)
Virtual Console 5 (16.1%)
Total Votes: 31
Original Release vs. Virtual Console; Which do you prefer?
Topic Started: May 1 2016, 02:47 AM (2,234 Views)
Ashes
Member Avatar
This is essentially a comparison to see if people prefer to play the original games on an actual Nintendo 64, or if they prefer to play them on the Virtual Console, on top of why they chose that option.

My Vote: Virtual Console

Here's Why: To sum it up short, it's incredibly convenient.

To be honest, I used to be one of those people who used to think that using the original technology is much superior. However, I then realized that the older technology may die out one day, not to mention the fact that games don't last forever on individual cartridges.

Basically, here's how it works. I have all of my Nintendo 64 games on the Wii and Wii U, with the Rare Replay games that came with it. To sound extremely lazy for a second, it feels very nice to not have to walk over to your game collection and switch the cartridges to play them. I like selecting them with ease from the menu, all without having to leave my chair.

Here's another thing, the quality. Believe it or not, more modern systems can emulate the games a lot more efficiently and produce a much nicer image. To me, at least. This is true with NES and SNES games, where emulating them on a modern console with an LCD TV makes it look borderline crystal clear. The same applies with the Nintendo 64, which I also feels keeps the graphics at a nice smooth frame-rate.

The controller. Do you know how much I rejoiced when I found out that I can toggle the controls for Donkey Kong 64, one of my ALL TIME favorite video games, on the Wii U? Plus, I'll just put it out there. I hate the Nintendo 64 controller. It feels unnatural, the joystick location is wonky, and the analog stick would drastically loosen up overtime. Not with my Wii U Pro Controller. Heck, even with my Classic Controller, it feels very natural. However, using the Wii U Pro Controller is literally everything a Nintendo 64 fan should be graciously celebrating. To my opinion, that is. lol

My only issue with playing the Nintendo 64 games on the Virtual Console is the big black border that surrounds the games on a widescreen TV. However, that is not the issue with the VC itself, but rather the television. If you were to play them with the regular composite cables on an old 4:3 TV, then the picture would be just fine.

Okay, well the only true issue is that not every Nintendo 64 game is available to purchase on the Virtual Console. Luckily, though, every game I want happens to be, but for those who wanted Micro Machines 64 or Rat Attack, I'm sorry to inform you that they haven't uploaded those. (Okay, that might've came off as a little bit snarky, and I apologize. I didn't want to come off sounding that way. For other consoles, I've wanted to buy VC games that weren't there).

So that's my view on the whole thing. I prefer Virtual Console over the originals, but as it still involves playing games that were released in the Nintendo 64 age, it still counts as actually playing Nintendo 64 games.

Oh, and... don't use Project64. That's a terrible program that just doesn't feel like you're playing the game. No matter how many adjustments you make, or how many USB controller configurations you set up, it's not the real game, and it never will be.

Also, have you seen the massive upgrade that Banjo-Kazooie got for the XBLA? I have no need to even TOUCH the N64 version again! That's just me, though. :P
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Original is far better for me.

I never stopped playing though, maybe it's harder for people who stopped and try to go back to the original.

The controls and some of the little things just don't cut it in my book.
And not playing on a CRT...ack.

Rare Replay is good and all, but mostly just for the few Rare games I missed and the unlockable vids.
Perfect Dark it still like I'm wrestling a bear trying to control that, yet went back to N64 version and was head shotting guys from across the room on Perfect Agent like it was nothing.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
My vote is for the originals too.

First, I do not buy the argument that we are in jeopardy of losing our original games. My NES is still plugging away after 30 years. I doubt very much that my Wii U or any console with an optical reader will last that long.

Second, I was really disappointed with the lag I've experienced with my VC version of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! It's like a millisecond, but it's enough to make the very beatable Soda Popinski nearly unbeatable. This is a single example that may not be representative, but it's soured me a bit.

Third, I love all original Big N controllers. Being weened on the NES d-pad, I still rejoice having a thumbstick to play N64 games. Plus, having a range of working thumbsticks to choose from now (OEM, lodgnet, speedy/skippy gamecube v1.0), it's fun to match the stick with the game.

This is all a personal choice on a subjective subject matter, so you can read all of the above with a blanket IMHO preface.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Kobeskillz
Established Member
I connected my wiiu to my crt using s video and went to Wii mode and played n64 games and they look absolutely amazing. Like playing every game in ultra high res mode but without the pixelated text and menus and 2d stuff you get on hdtvs.

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I chose original. Simple answer, I can hold it in my hand and push it down into the system. It is just something about that being a part of the experience for me. Even the hunt for, and obtaining, that one elusive game title. I tend to value my game collection when I have labored for and can actually touch it. And I enjoy fumbling through my game library. I like occasionally choosing certain titles, stacking them, preparing a session of play.

I have tried virtual console, but it just doesn't have the same satisfaction.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
The lag is the biggest killer of VC for me. My TV HDTV is part of it, but even playing on the Wii U gamepad, the games just didn't feel quite right. Super Mario Bros. felt sluggish. I hadn't played it in quite a while, so I thought, maybe that game isn't as tight as my nostalgia goggles make it seem.

I turned on my NES hooked up to the CRT.... no that game is INCREDIBLY tight. As BDR mentioned, Punch Out is another game where it's really noticeable.

Now, 3DS I haven't had quite the same issues there. I've played A LOT of GBC Mario Tennis on my 3DS and really enjoyed it. Playing through Pokemon Blue now. I also enjoy the part you mentioned about having all the games right there and ready to launch. When I'm on the go, that part does rock.

But for home console, it's just a frustrating exercise for me.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Mantis128
Member Avatar
Established Member
Now I've only ever bought 3 VC games, LOZ MM, SMB3 and Mario Kart 64, so I'm not a guru on this; but I thought I'd share my two cents.

First up the visuals.

While the 64's 240/88P graphics have their own charm the VC's upscaled visuals give off an incredibly sharp vivid image without the aliasing filter or need of scanlines. I have my Wii hooked up via component to my (still in new condition) CRT and it looks amazing; the colors and sharpness in Majora's Mask were so vivid that I actually sort of wished I could jump into the game and start exploring the world myself. VC definitely helps show what the 64 was capable of.

One advantage the actual 64 has visually is 2D stuff. As My Life In Gaming pointed out, stuff like icons, text and 2D backgrounds are noticlibly blurry; the best example of this is the "Dawn of The X Day" title card from MM. Even with composite video 2D elements on original hardware is definitely sharper.

For convenience both are pretty even. The amount of time it would take to change games on the menu is no faster than swaping cartridges, and real games don't take up that much space.

As for the input lag, I don't notice it. I guess maybe there's sort of a tiny bit of lag, but I have a feeling that I'm only imagining it because I've been told it's there. Maybe it's because I play my Wii on a CRT, but I never had this problem on a HDTV.
https://twitter.com/Mantis128
http://ask.fm/Mantis128

KnightlyGaming
Member Avatar
I prefer originals mostly because of my nostalgia goggles admittedly, but I definitely see the benefits of virtual console.

I think that originals have the benefit of being designed specifically for what they are being played on where as virtual consoles can sometimes have hard to use controls (although not always, or even normally) but I also feel originals also have the benefit (at least for us collectors) of being able to be displayed, collected, and held. Add on top of that the ability to fix/do maintenance on cartridges vs losing all your games from virtual console (happened to me when my old wii was completely ruined... luckily only 3 games downloaded) makes the originals better in my opinion but the convenience of virtual console makes me happy that it exists :yeah:
Posted Image

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
Virtual Console with a Sony/MS ownership model (where purchases are tied to your account) would be quite nice.

Agreed on the controls, and I can't help but feel the N64 is the worst one to VC, especially if the game was designed tightly around the N64 pad.

Kobeskillz
Established Member
The wii u VC is terrible. Has tons of lag.

The Wii VC is pretty good except the dark NES games.

You can hook up a Wii or Wii U in Wii mode to a CRT and play VC games with about 1 frame of lag which is totally acceptable. Looks great too especially N64 games.

If you play these games in Wii U mode then expect much more lag for some reason plus an overly dark picture. If you play VC games on the Wii U on an HDTV then good luck. Super Mario Bros is nearly unplayable.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Yeah, I tried Super Mario Bros on the Wii U VC a couple days ago, just to see if maybe I'd been drinking or something when I formed my original conclusion. Nope. Definitely off. So frustrating.

Wii VC is most decidedly better.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

NUS-Man
Member Avatar
Established Member
It's funny seeing the only vote for VC being that of the OP's.

My Vote: Original release

Here's Why: To sum it up short, not everything is on the VC, you can actually own cartridges as possessions, there's no weird emulation problems like distorted 2D textures, the games were designed to be used with the precise N64 control stick and button layout, you get access to things like the Controller Pak, Rumble Pak, Transfer Pak, 64DD and various other unlicensed accessories and you have all those different colored N64 consoles, controllers and cartridges to choose from.

I think I'll take that over "convenience", laggy HDTVs and software emulation.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Kobeskillz
Aug 29 2016, 03:15 PM
The wii u VC is terrible. Has tons of lag.

The Wii VC is pretty good except the dark NES games.

You can hook up a Wii or Wii U in Wii mode to a CRT and play VC games with about 1 frame of lag which is totally acceptable. Looks great too especially N64 games.

If you play these games in Wii U mode then expect much more lag for some reason plus an overly dark picture. If you play VC games on the Wii U on an HDTV then good luck. Super Mario Bros is nearly unplayable.
This is interesting. I thought something was a little off when I was playing mk64 on the Wii U VC. It could very well have been from not playing for a long time but I had trouble getting the power slide and was falling in place I normally wouldn't. I suppose it could be lag - I'll have to try the Wii VC version.

As far as "the debate" goes, can I say both without sounding like a politician? Part of it I know has to do with the fact that I have 4 GameCube controllers that work beautifully while I only have 2 official n64 controllers and a bunch of 3rd parties. But the GameCube controller is one of my favorites of all time because it just feels really good in my hands. On the other hand, there is something to owning physical copies that I definitely appreciate, not to mention all the licensed games that will never be re-released. Even if they're bad they can be good for a laugh sometimes.

So in the spirit of compromise and coolness, I'm trying to get a game station set up somewhere in the house with two tvs. I'll hook the Wii up to one and the n64 up to another. Then we can have 8 player Mario kart 64 sessions or just a really fun n64 night where more people get a chance to play :)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Jan 17 2017, 07:52 AM.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Good to see you back around ItalianBaptist!

And I think you are right that there are pros and cons to both. (I wrote out a response, forgetting I posted above :facepalm: ! Guess I have to update it by saying save states are welcomed and it's nice to have a fall back on the VC if you want to sell an expensive game that is largely collecting dust).
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Agreed IB, the gamecube controller is basically perfection in a controller.
So many things about the Gamecube are amazing.
It's durability (I recall videos of strength tests between the consoles and the cube and N64 were on top by a mile), the lovely glow of that orange light from inside 😉 and the thing on the back we all love.
Thinking about how good it is is almost too much to handle 😊

Anyway...
I posted before already.
Original is best but VC definitely has its merits.
I bought a bunch of games on Wii VC but never got around to finishing them for whatever reason.
Gonna get stuck into them when I get a chance 😇
Edited by D.J Cat, Jan 17 2017, 11:27 AM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Some other random musings about the VC:

Wii VC didn't have save states for n64 games so it's weird for me just jumping right back into the game when I boot it up on wii U. Depending on how the lag research goes, i'm still hoping to have mk64 with wireless controllers work well though.

If you have the Wii VC version of Mario Tennis, you can download a save on Gamefaqs that transfers in the Game Boy characters and unlocks all the Game Boy courts.

With the equipment I have available I can be:
Playing an N64 game
On the Wii
With Gamecube controllers
Designed specifically for Smash Bros for Wii U

And that's really cool...4 generations in 1 :)

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I've heard really, really good things about the game boy colour version of Mario Tennis that was an RPG of sorts.
Got exceptional reviews.

Would love to give it a go one day.

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Not sure how this thread managed to go under my radar. Anyway, original for me, for sure. The nostalgic attachment, the multiplayer with friends on the 64 games, the collectibility and uniqueness of the 64 game boxes etc for me you can't emulate that. I have no issues with people who do, I totally get it, but it's not for me.

Totally with BDR on the longevity of the originals. Doing fine so far and any modern consoles could meet their Waterloo sooner than the classics.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Yeah I'm the same as Milage. I think rereleasing old games is great but my vote goes for the originals as well. Games like Perfect Dark may have newer versions with better framerates and such, but I like seeing how people experienced it back then, and in its time it's still impressive despite some hiccups
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm a big fan of the original Wii's Virtual Console service for several reasons. Primarily, I like the graphical upgrade on games like Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64 and Wave Race 64 to 480p. That makes a big difference when I play those games on my 40 inch LCD TV. It's also cool that a fully translated version of Sin and Punishment is available on the VC at a ridiculously low price. Lastly, I love using the GameCube controller and the original Wii Virtual Console service lets me do that. The GC controller is a brilliant input device and thanks to Sm4sh on the Wii U Nintendo has started selling them again. I went ahead and imported a Japanese exclusive white one to add to my collection.

Posted Image

Playing Virtual Console games on the original Wii is perfection since there's no input lag. I've heard that's not the case when you play VC games on the Wii U and that's why I haven't downloaded any to that console yet. My Virtual Console collection on the original Wii, however, is huge with lots of N64 and Neo-Geo titles.

When you consider how many top quality Neo-Geo games are available on the VC you realize that the Wii is a must-have for serious retro fighting game fans. For people who want to play brilliant 2D fighters like Samurai Shodown II,The Last Blade 2, Ninja Master's, The King of Fighting '98 or Real Bout Fatal Fury Special both legally and affordably - the Wii is no less than a Godsend. I could never justify the expense of buying a Neo-Geo with peripherals and games before and thanks to the Wii's Neo-Geo offerings on the VC I don't have to. :D

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I have two of those white Japanese import controllers and two black American ones. I love the longer cord - I didn't realize how short the original GameCube cords were. Someone told me the n64's were longer because of the focus on multiplayer gaming, thus they had to reach the couch more, which kinda makes sense.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Jan 17 2017, 06:08 PM
I have two of those white Japanese import controllers and two black American ones. I love the longer cord - I didn't realize how short the original GameCube cords were. Someone told me the n64's were longer because of the focus on multiplayer gaming, thus they had to reach the couch more, which kinda makes sense.
It's not the length of the cord but how you use it. ;)

I've also got the other exclusive white Japanese controller that came out after the platinum ones. These are highly sought after as they use the more durable trigger parts of the original GameCube controllers and they also have the longer cord. See how it's white too but doesn't have the Smash logo?

Posted Image

As for Nintendo 64 era Virtual Console games, I think they're a good thing because they expose even more people to the N64's incredible library. There are some truly timeless masterpieces in the N64's catalog that everyone who considers themselves a gamer should play. Fortunately the Virtual Console and one of the 100,000,000 Wii consoles out there can help make that less of a chore to accomplish. :D
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
I have not played any games on a virtual console, but i could not imagine preferring it the real deal.

A lot of love gets imparted in those plastic cartridges!
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
So I tested out Mario kart 64 on the Wii U virtual console with a wireless controller and I found no noticeable issue with lag. Granted my TV has a game mode and I sold my gamepad to a friend for Christmas so I don't know if either of those are a lag-reducing factor. When I went to play Mario party 2 however, I had a hard time pulling off a simple ground pound. In the original and I believe the Wii virtual console version I could jump and almost immediately pound the ground - very helpful for speedy games like Tile Driver; now I have to wait for the full jump animation. It could be because of my third party controller (A Hyperkin pro controller shaped like a GameCube controller) but I still don't want to risk it for multiplayer.

So I hooked the Wii back up and got Mario Tennis for the VC. I appreciate that save transfers are so much easier on the Wii than the Wii U and I can't wait to get those Game Boy courts.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Jan 20 2017, 03:39 AM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
bluedogrulez
May 1 2016, 04:55 AM
First, I do not buy the argument that we are in jeopardy of losing our original games. My NES is still plugging away after 30 years. I doubt very much that my Wii U or any console with an optical reader will last that long.
The biggest obstacle to playing the original games nowadays is price and availability to a CRT. Collectors have driven up the prices on some games to the point that they're no longer impulse buys. Yeah, most N64 cartridges are still cheaper than when they originally released but the world has changed and AAA titles for newer consoles can often be found for under $10. For example, I got Soulcalibur V for my Xbox 360 for just $3.74 and it's an incredible game. Also, CRT TV's that haven't degraded to the point of being a blurry mess get harder to find every day. Even if you find one it requires a substantial investment in space which many people seem unwilling to make given how slim modern HDTV's are. Of course, us serious gamers wouldn't be caught dead without a CRT in our game room but going forward the times they are a-changin' and CRT's are fading away in to obsolescence.

The good new for us as N64 fans is that the original consoles are very durable and for that reason they're not too pricey. Also, certain games don't emulate well so people will probably play the original cartridge as long as possible. I'm thinking about F-Zero X, as an example, which is brilliant on the N64 with a Rumble Pak in your controller and on a quality CRT. The VC version can't match that experience and fortunately that cartridge isn't ridiculously expensive yet.

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Quick update on this topic: I went to play MK64 with some friends on the original system last night and found that one of the control sticks on a first party controller is messing up. In fact that's been a major issue with both controllers and carts I've bought. The ones I bought brand new work like day one but since that's not really an option anymore I've had to buy used and a lot of people just didn't take care of their games :(

This made me appreciate the VC a lot more since I have the newer first party GameCube controllers to use with it. I haven't had any trouble with any of the GameCube controllers I've owned but I know it's possible. Also I can boot up Amazon video too :)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Mar 27 2017, 06:58 AM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
If you're in to the really popular N64 games then the Virtual Console is an excellent alternative. However, for some of the more obscure titles you're going to have to play them on the original N64 hardware.

Posted Image

LosTickaToeRest
Member Avatar
Have to go with the original releases. The VC is convenient, it has nicer resolution for the most part, it doesn't involve dealing with the godawful N64 analog stick and its inevitably limited lifespan, and it eliminates some slowdown (the XBLA version of Perfect Dark being a really good example). But I've also noticed input lag (worse in some games than others though), as well as less button sensitivity. I can pound the buttons in Star Fox 64 on the actual N64 and blast like a madman quickly enough to take out most of the bosses in seconds. But the VC version doesn't register all the button presses in as quick succession as if you do it as fast as on the N64, like if I tap it as fast as I do in the original then it doesn't recognize the miliseconds between presses, so instead of a stream of regular shots, it keeps turning into a homing-charge and messing me up a lot.

There are some exceptions to that preference though. As much as I complain about modern games having to get easier so as to have broader appeal, I love the XBLA version of Banjo Kazooie - one of my all-time favorite games - because of the difficulty tweaks that make it less mercilessly frustrating in places in that "the developers hate you" way I associate more with folks like Capcom than Rare.

Quote:

I've heard really, really good things about the game boy colour version of Mario Tennis that was an RPG of sorts.
Got exceptional reviews.

Would love to give it a go one day.

I rented it once but didn't play it at all whatsoever, I just got it solely to transfer the exclusive characters to the N64 Mario Tennis. Unfortunately I didn't realize that to capitalize on the GBC version's RPG elements, they have the same stats/skill level corresponding with how leveled up you are in the GBC version, and the object is to continually hook up the GBC cart to update their N64 counterparts as you go along. So seeing as I uploaded the extra characters without playing the GBC one at all and then returning the cartridge to Blockbuster, they all sucked and were borderline impossible to win with. Whoops.
Edited by LosTickaToeRest, Apr 13 2017, 10:14 AM.
Posted Image

http://www.last.fm/user/DToxico

Grimakis
Member Avatar
Original by far.

Some of the best N64 games will never get released on VC.

Also many games would lack features on virtual console. Anything that interfaced with the Transfer Pak I would think.

Alveinhero
The original release is better than the Virtual Console release.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: