Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Original Release vs. Virtual Console; Which do you prefer?
Topic Started: May 1 2016, 02:47 AM (1,636 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Unfortunately it's gotten to the point where I no longer have a CRT and I gotta go with the flatscreen. Fortunately I have two big HDTVs with Game Mode and they work really well :)

What does this have to do with the Virtual Console? Well, lately I've been appreciating the Wii over the Wii U mainly because the picture for VC games fits the whole screen. I'm not sure how you guys feel about stretching the picture but I actually prefer it over having two big black bars on each side of the screen. Same thing for me with watching Amazon video. Plus those gamecube controllers just feel so good for the old n64 games.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
To my eyes N64 Virtual Console games stretch quite nicely to 16:9 but I still use the 4:3 aspect ratio for some of my SNES and Neo-Neo VC games because that suites them better.

Yeah, the GameCube controller is perfect for N64 era games. I love playing Mario Kart 64 and Super Smash Bros. with one and it actually feels weird now when I use an N64 controller to play those games. :-8
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I guess I can make a relevant post here: right now I have little choice but to use the virtual console because money's tight and I only have one 64 controller that I could call particularly good, but 4 smash bros GameCube controllers in great condition.

I had to trade in my copy of smash bros, Mario kart, and Pokémon stadium 2 but since I have the first two on vc I'm happy to say I didn't really lose them.

Now I'm kinda holding out for an n64 mini since tvs seem to be going the way of hdmi only but I'm flexible for the future. (Grizzmeister do you still have multiple copies of smash 64? I might have to contact you when my financial situation is better ;)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Aug 19 2017, 06:58 AM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Aug 19 2017, 06:57 AM
(Grizzmeister do you still have multiple copies of smash 64? I might have to contact you when my financial situation is better ;)
I sold one of my copies of SSB64 and regretted it almost immediately. Only let it go because the buyer convinced me that he really wanted to play it with his friends to relive their childhood. Yeah, I made a handsome profit but since I'm not in to collecting to make money, I doubt I'll ever sell any of my video games in the future.

The good news is that the Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. actually looks better on both a CRT and HDTV. It's a VERY good legal emulation that only a seriously competitive Smash player could find fault with.

If you ever want to own the N64 version of SSB64 again, it'd probably be wiser to invest in an EverDrive64 since that would also give you access to the competition specific ROM hack of the game known as 19XXTE.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
I've seen many N64 speedrunners who actually prefer the VC version due to the GC controller (as well as other reasons), especially for both Zelda games.
I've also seen speedrunners using an adapter to use their GC controller with the 64, and vice versa. To each their preference I guess.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Aug 19 2017, 07:22 AM
ItalianBaptist
Aug 19 2017, 06:57 AM
(Grizzmeister do you still have multiple copies of smash 64? I might have to contact you when my financial situation is better ;)
I sold one of my copies of SSB64 and regretted it almost immediately. Only let it go because the buyer convinced me that he really wanted to play it with his friends to relive their childhood. Yeah, I made a handsome profit but since I'm not in to collecting to make money, I doubt I'll ever sell any of my video games in the future.

The good news is that the Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. actually looks better on both a CRT and HDTV. It's a VERY good legal emulation that only a seriously competitive Smash player could find fault with.

If you ever want to own the N64 version of SSB64 again, it'd probably be wiser to invest in an EverDrive64 since that would also give you access to the competition specific ROM hack of the game known as 19XXTE.
I definitely get that since I'm kind of regretting it right now myself :p

The talk about 19XXTE does bring up another issue I have with the virtual console. At least with Nintendo's eshop they're very clear in their agreement that you are only buying a license to play the game and not a copy of the game itself. I don't think it affects me that much but that could be an issue in the future. I still dream of moving to Japan someday and I'd like to take some of my games with me if I could. (Idk how Japan is about bringing American games into their country - importing to the states seems to be no problem)

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
I know the Cube controller is commonly used with N64 games...how is it at replicating the fine aiming (PD sniper, Zelda bow) of the N64 controller? Especially interested in performance on the actual HW using the Raphnet adapter.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
The White Falcon
Aug 19 2017, 06:57 PM
I know the Cube controller is commonly used with N64 games...how is it at replicating the fine aiming (PD sniper, Zelda bow) of the N64 controller? Especially interested in performance on the actual HW using the Raphnet adapter.
I've read that it's pretty sensitive on the stick, not comparable to the GC controller with VC. Probably it's just something you have to get used to.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Aug 19 2017, 10:38 AM
The talk about 19XXTE does bring up another issue I have with the virtual console. At least with Nintendo's eshop they're very clear in their agreement that you are only buying a license to play the game and not a copy of the game itself.
I suspect that's nothing more than legalese as I doubt Nintendo would ever revoke your license. Once you download the game it's essentially yours forever. What's especially nice about Virtual Console games is the fact that even if the disc-drive on your Wii stops working, you still have access to your entire VC library. :yeah:

The Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. is notable because your saves are not dependent on a battery like they are on the cartridge version. Once you unlock all the characters, stages and the Item Switch on the Wii VC version - everything stays unlocked. You can even download a fully complete save file for SSB64 if you don't have the patience to unlock everything yourself. :)

Posted Image

MyBeefCakes
Member Avatar
Established Member
Its a bit of a split one for me, however Original hardware comes one top by a margin.

The original H/W is designed and developed to operate with what you get. For me a game experience is playing the game and enjoying what the developers have created, I have to play it in the way the developer intended. This is the only way to capture the true emotion and style they were going for the real experience.

The virtual console is very limited selection wise. I agree the visuals are better but never had that niggling in the back of my mind that says ooooo your on the next level or next bit, must finish that when i get home. The VC has never had that hold one me.

The problem with digital libraries is; once you get presented with too much choice, you can't choose!
Honestly this is my biggest issue with Xbox one, I have all these digital titles but still only play KI, CoD Bo3, Rocket league. I mean when am I finally gonna play through Witcher 3, Lords of the Fallen, Shadow of Mordor? Etc etc.

When you had the physical media you paid Ł50 for, you want to take it home and finish it, front to back, 100%. Get your moneys worth. Digital doesn't have that effect.

So I guess in reality, the virtual console is superior to the original H/W, your problem is convincing the true die hards to swap over, thats where you won't succeed! Even with Ninty re-releasing all these titles on VC.

And one of the reasons the mini consoles have been so successful will be down to the fact they are replicating the original hardware! And you are playing exactly how the developers intended albeit with better resolution and visuals!
NoPlaceLikeLocalHost

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I didn't realize the smash bros cartridges used battery saves. I thought they had converted to EEPROM by then.

I talked to my Gamestop friend and asked about "trader's remorse" and I might be able to get my old games back. I just need to find some other stuff of the same trade value to give in exchange since money is still an issue. But it's better than shelling out $60 for other copies later. There seems to be a place for both the cartridge and the VC and I'm glad to have them both :)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Aug 21 2017, 08:00 AM.

ReliantLion
Member Avatar
The White Falcon
Aug 19 2017, 06:57 PM
I'd' suggest you check out this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iz-Cc1t2b0

I have to agree with most of what he says about the Raphnet adapter. To me, it is worth the money, but mostly because of Wavebird support. Some games just simply aren't playable with it, because the game was really made with the N64 controller in mind. But racing games a great and other hit titles. Basically, as long as a game doesn't have complicated C button usage, it will work great.

I played through OOT with an original controller, a Hori Mini Pad, and GCN Raphnet with a Wavebird. I have to say my preference is the Wavebird, then Hori Mini Pad, then original controller. (This was all on an actually N64). I never noticed any issues with the bow, and I haven't really played PD with it. I took the day off to watch the eclipse, so I may test them more thoroughly for you.

EDIT: The bow works fine, I put the Z button to act as Down-C and put the bow on there. Now you have a trigger control for the bow. The aiming is as good as either the original controller or the Hori Mini Pad.

PD sniper rifle is fine as well, but I did have one problem because I have the Ultra HDMI. When you press L or Z, R, C-Right and either D-Right or Joystick-Right, it brings up the options for the Ultra HDMI. This is the only time I can think of where you might press that combo of buttons. I was peering around a corner to take out some meat sims, and just as the game ended I had pressed all of the buttons necessary to bring up the options. This isn't the Raphnet adapters fault, of course, but worth mentioning I think. It'd be just as likely on any other controller I suppose.
Edited by ReliantLion, Aug 21 2017, 08:53 AM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
MyBeefCakes
Aug 21 2017, 07:38 AM
The problem with digital libraries is; once you get presented with too much choice, you can't choose!
This is often referred to as "the paradox of choice". Simply stated, when we have too many options presented to us our brains get fatigued and give up. That's why it's wise to never give someone more than 3 choices at one time if you want them to make a good decision.

How does this relate to video gaming? Have you ever noticed that many people who pirate large libraries of games rarely take the time to play any of them? :rollseyes:

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: