Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Japanese mario kart controller
Topic Started: Jun 12 2016, 04:44 AM (419 Views)
Houghton0609
Established Member

Hi does anyone have any information about this controller/paperwork?

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
What is funny, is that the person who most likely wins this item, can't even come close to meeting the requirements it took to deserve this item.
Edited by No64DD, Jun 13 2016, 11:10 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
As I understand it the License Cards were given out as prizes in 1996 to anyone who had finished Mario Raceway in under 1:30 at certain video game shops in Japan.

I've never come across it before, but it's possible that the Gold Controller was a prize for the best times. I don't speak / read Japanese but that yellow paperwork seems to say congratulations at the top.

In the US, Nintendo Power ran a similar to the competition, if you beat Mario Raceway in the same time limit you got a chance to win one of 1,000 gold controllers (1st prize) or 5,000 calling cards (runners-up):
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7258529/1/
Edited by danilochka, Jun 13 2016, 09:43 AM.
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
That's pretty awesome. I'm anxious to learn more too.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I was just being a smart alec :P
But to be honest, this was an ongoing auction that just ended.
And a sketchy one in my opinion.
Edited by No64DD, Jun 13 2016, 12:16 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Houghton0609
Established Member
I messaged the seller to see if they could shred some light on the history of the pad/paperwork, but no answer.

Let's face it, it possible to just throw something like this together, as it's just a gold pad in a cardboard box. Without having the paperwork in your hand, It could of just been mocked up on a pc, hard to tell just off a few sketchy pics.

That's why I posted on here, to see if anyone had seen it before.
Why 3 licence cards?
Edited by Houghton0609, Jun 13 2016, 12:42 PM.

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this. I did a bit of digging and found these flyer scans on my hard drive. It talks about a Mario Kart 64 competition and there's a drawing of a controller on the back. On the front, the text at the bottom seems to be the same as that on the top of the yellow paperwork. It would be great to get this whole thing translated:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
When i said "sketchy", i meant the seller...

But nice work Danilochka! :yeah:
Given the dates, this would be the earliest Gold Nintendo 64 controller.

I'd love to see where it's made!
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Houghton0609
Established Member
Great work!!

Do you know where the leaflet is from, magazine/store?

Like I said the seller is not massaging back, I was on the fence about purchasing the controller, due to the fact not knowing anything about it.

DarkLink
Member Avatar
I actually won the controller :D The real listing of this controller was in Japan. The original listing said something like this: "Original Mario Kart 64 trial campaign controller with notification. I will put three license cards for you as a bonus"
This suggests that the licence cards had nothing to do with the controller directly, since this was 1st prize (gold controller + notification), but with the competition in general. As far as I know there was a competition each in USA and Japan. And oh surprise, Danilochka already stated this before me :D Haha, you know everything man! I think one of our members has the American version.

The eBay auction you saw on eBay is an item the seller doesn't actually phisically have, this is also the reason why he cannot possibly give any information about it. This is a new type of speculation based scumbag selling method that I consider scamming. But it is not against eBay rules (yet). I will not reveal how this works publicly but basically the seller's involved in this don't give a rat's :donkey: about the buyer and it is just pure greed and moneymaking without any ethics. And yes it is possible to pull this of even though you have 100% feedback and 3000+ transactions, yet it is possible the buyer never sees his item, that's what makes it so tricky.

Maybe I can have it translated on arrival and see where its made. (I think Japan) It would be very interesting if we would be able to find out if it was really one of the or actually the first gold controller.
Edited by bluedogrulez, Jun 14 2016, 03:55 AM.
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
:cussfit: , i love this place.
Edited by No64DD, Jun 13 2016, 04:51 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Houghton0609
Established Member
It's a flyer for the Mario Kart Time Trial Campaign. Beat a time of 1:30 on Flower Cup's Mario Circuit to receive a License Card at your local shop. By getting your license card you automatically enter a raffle to win 1 of 10,000 gold controllers.
After the contest is over, the names and times of the 100 best will be published in Famicom Magazine and on the Nintendo homepage.

The 10 best players overall will be offered the chance to complete in the "64 Mario Stadium" Grand Championship on TV Tokyo where they can win a special prize (undisclosed).
Got someone to translate the leaflet, thanks for help guy.
Proves to do some research before you anything, and I think it cabanon who has the us competition controller.
Edited by Houghton0609, Jun 13 2016, 03:54 PM.

DarkLink
Member Avatar
Houghton0609
Jun 13 2016, 03:52 PM
By getting your license card you automatically enter a raffle to win 1 of 10,000 gold controllers.
It would surprise me alot if there were really 10.000 given out. I have a very good feel for rarity of items and we would have definetely seen more of them than 1 if they were that many. Could it be that it says 10.000 licence cards entered the raffle?

Sadly the leaflet on the pic ist covered by the cards, so basically we cannot translate it yet :(
Edited by DarkLink, Jun 13 2016, 04:59 PM.
Check out: consolevariations.com
The Database for all consolecolors and variations!

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Congratulations DarkLink, seriously!

Wanna race? 8)
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
yeah that's me who have one of the US controller and that's also me who message No64DD about it. Didn't know someone else was looking at it, haha ! If I wasn't so :cussfit: broken I would have bought it and put them side by side, but hey, gotta let things go sometimes. good job on getting it DL !
Edited by Cabanon, Jun 13 2016, 07:16 PM.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Houghton0609
Jun 13 2016, 03:12 PM
Like I said the seller is not massaging back, I was on the fence about purchasing the controller, due to the fact not knowing anything about it.
I don't know about any of you guys, but i hate it when the seller doesn't massage me back! X_D
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Houghton0609
Established Member
I look forward to seeing some better pics, when you receive yours darklink.

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
Those license cards are legit, if anybody wants to buy them just go on YAJ and search for "マリオカート64 ライセンスカード" (Mario Kart 64 License Card). Haven't seen that gold controller boxed with the paperwork though, nice find!
Posted Image

SoloJones64
Established Member
i thought about buying it but couldn't justify 200 bucks on a controller i already have 8 of lol. The history is different but the controller is the same and it wasn't worth that money to me. but after hearing these sketchy details of what the seller is doing Im glad i passed.

Cabanon
Elite
it ended at 86$ on yahoo. 200$ was the scetchy ebay price.

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply