Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
US version of the 64DD was found..
Topic Started: Jul 13 2016, 08:27 AM (3,089 Views)
Disco_Stu
Member Avatar
Just like the title says: A real US version of the 64DD was found by a collector in the Seattle area. He posted a thread about it over at assemblergames including pictures. Nothing is really clear about it right now but I thought it could be an interesting information for our 64DD section.

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/found-us-version-of-n64-64dd.62294/

The system features an English BIOS and a different sticker on the bottom than the retail DDs. It features the "old" name "Nintendo 64 DISK DRIVE" instead of "64DD". Also the serial number is a bit odd as it starts with "NDJ" instead of "DJ". Its full serial is "NDJ 80000222", maybe also interesting for the 64DD Serial Number Inventory.

The owner said that he will post a video soon...
Stu
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
:o

It also has (JPN) on the bottom label, meaning it is still the japanese model, albeit reworked, and one of the earliest line of units!

My guess is that it would have to read JPN games. Wouldn't this console be one of the first steps NOA took in translating Disk games to English?
Nevertheless, it furthers Nintendo's original plan to bring the N64DD to this country, and how close it came to happenning.

Pretty astonishing!!

Edited by No64DD, Jul 14 2016, 05:44 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

saunders096
this is pretty cool. I've been really interested in learning more about the DD and acquiring one just for F-Zero track editor... would be cool if Nintendo released these retroactively if they are just sitting around in some warehouse..

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
This is amazing!! ... But that 4th controller port tho :-X
Posted Image

NUS-Man
Member Avatar
Established Member
:o :o

So it does exist after all! I agree that it was most likely a test unit and not exactly a retail system. I remember Nintendomad at Assembergames mentioning that there are the blue trim dev systems, while test and retail 64DD units look pretty much the same.

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
The person who found it is MetalJesusRocks on YouTube!
Posted Image

NUS-Man
Member Avatar
Established Member
And in an instant, the glorious find turns to tragedy. Of all the people to find something of this magnitude, why did it have to be some YouTube hipster...?

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I'm not sure what makes it a tragedy that MetalJesusRocks found this as he's an avid retro game lover/player/collector and that means it'll be in the hands of someone who will appreciate it, even if it doesn't remain with him. He would make sure it goes to the right someone if he ever parted ways with it, like The Immortal John Hancock. I've been watching Metal Jesus for years and he's a great YouTuber and seems like a pretty upright individual (no tall joke intended). Sorry, but I just think its the icing on the cake for a find like this. I would hate to see it end up in the hands of a money grubbing reseller. Just my two cents.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Yeah, MetalJesusRocks seems like a very cool and deserving guy.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I don't watch much about gaming/collecting on Youtube, but i now started watching MetalJesusRocks and the man is a videogame guru! ✌

I think i understand what NUS-Man was trying to say, because there is a lot, A LOT of things out there i dont like on YouTube in the gaming category.

I have no doubt that MJR will make a very informative, analytical, and entertaining well constructed video.
And that is saying something!

I'm excited! :n64:
Edited by No64DD, Jul 14 2016, 10:49 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
I've been watching MetalJesusRocks on YouTube for years now as well (his N64 and Xbox 360 hidden gems videos were what made me a subscriber) and I'm really glad that he found it because now we'll get a great video about it on his YouTube channel. According to his Twitter, the video is going to be out Friday morning so it won't be a long wait now. This has to be the greatest N64 find since the Super Mario 64DD cart a couple of years back!
Posted Image

NUS-Man
Member Avatar
Established Member
My worry is we'll probably never hear of this find ever again, it will just rot with the rest of his stuff in his collection room until the end of time.

What would be REALLY nice is if he sent it to zoinkity or LuigiBlood to dump the IPLROM from the console and check that blue dev disk.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@NUS-Man,
Whew! You're a hard man to please. I bet when you finally get to switch a 64DD on for the first time, you'll understand.
Edited by No64DD, Jul 14 2016, 11:47 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
i'll follow him on twitter.

NUS-Man
Member Avatar
Established Member
No64DD
Jul 14 2016, 11:47 AM
@NUS-Man,
Whew! You're a hard man to please. I bet when you finally get to switch a 64DD on for the first time, you'll understand.
This is a matter of preservation. Something this rare belongs in the hands of those who will make the best use of it. The odds are always slim, but every blue disk should be checked, you only need one to find something like Ura Zelda or some other game.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I have faith that MJR will make sure all bases are covered and that it gets handled as it should. He's never been one to just prop something up in the background and never touch it again, from what I've observed.

Houghton0609
Wow, just wow!!!

SoloJones64
Established Member
Yeah MJR will find out what's really going on here. Lots of questions and virtually no answers at this point.

Tyree_Cooper
Member Avatar
Established Member
Assembler said he has 20 more of these...

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Here's MJR's video:

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
MJR nailed it! 👏

He was well prepared and to the best of his own knowledge.
It left me wanting more, and it looks like it's not over yet. This is well organized!

Darn. I gave it my best guess though. >_<
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Disco_Stu
Member Avatar
Tyree_Cooper
Jul 15 2016, 06:02 AM
he had about 50, he sold 20 and kept the remaining 30... and he will sell them "when prices peak" :whistle:
Stu

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Lol!
I read that he also mentioned "buying a boat and retiring" in doing so...

I can understand why HE would say something like that, but i'm not sure if i want to help someone else buy a boat at this point in my life. X_D

I do think it would've helped his interests if these 64DD did play japanese games.

Edited by No64DD, Jul 15 2016, 09:46 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Great video, although I would have like to know how he accquired this.

I wonder if this now means we can expect a 64DD Hidden Gems video in the future :lol:
Posted Image

NUS-Man
Member Avatar
Established Member
That would be entertaining to watch, like how it's fun to watch a train wreck.

A really great hidden gem is the Randnet disk. Often overlooked because it isn't a game and came with every 64DD Randnet Starter Kit a couple months after they became available, don't let such facts get in the way of the collectibility factory.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@NUS-Man,
Yes they did. When do you ever see a Randnet Starter Kit without one??
You need to check here!

ConsoleVariations.com

Edited by No64DD, Jul 16 2016, 08:24 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

NUS-Man
Member Avatar
Established Member
I see my English was misinterpreted. Does this read any better?

A really great hidden gem is the Randnet disk. Often overlooked because it came with every 64DD Randnet Starter Kit and also isn't even a game, but don't let such facts get in the way of the collectibility factor.

EDIT: Factor, not factory, sigh...
Edited by NUS-Man, Jul 15 2016, 09:15 PM.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
My apologies. I did read it wrong!

It has been a long day. :lol:
Edited by No64DD, Jul 17 2016, 11:20 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
Tyree_Cooper
holy moly ! I wouldn't mind asking for these serials # lol

Rocky
Member Avatar
Cabanon
Jul 15 2016, 09:44 PM
Tyree_Cooper
holy moly ! I wouldn't mind asking for these serials # lol
Assembler just clarified that he has never seen or owned a unit like this. It makes this unit that Metal Jesus found that much more rare and interesting!

Posted Image
Edited by Rocky, Jul 15 2016, 10:32 PM.
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · N64DD · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: