Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Would you buy an N64 Mini?
Topic Started: Jul 19 2016, 08:15 AM (3,343 Views)
bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
So Big N has announced a NES Mini, a itty-bitty NES miniature that has 30 (great!) games stored inside. No cartridge slot, not internet or external connectivity. And some official NES controllers that are Wiimote compatible.

It MAY come to pass that Nintendo puts out minis for all of its consoles. . . including the N64. Would you be interested in an N64 mini console? What about a Wiimote compatible N64 controller? Would you lose you mind if the controllers came out in multiple colors to challenge the notion of what a complete controller collection is?

Please share your thoughts!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
The idea is great for the gamers still stuck in retro land, like me.

Collectible "N64 Mini N64 controllers" is the coolest possibility yet!
If an N64 Mini were to come, it too would have a set amount of pre-installed games, but what if they took it a step further by then?
Each collectible controller could have "more games", to capture what the Nintendo 64 represents: expansion.

Count me :n64: !
Edited by No64DD, Jul 19 2016, 09:39 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
No64DD
Jul 19 2016, 08:51 AM
Collectible "N64 Mini N64 controllers" is the coolest possibility yet!
:blink: you just blew my mind with that thought of having even more N64 controllers to collect! I just hope that if that should ever come into existence, that they are A.) of the same quality (in terms of joystick) as the originals or better and B.) that the controllers are identifiable with some type of custom marking (so that we can easily say "oh that's one of the newest/latest generation controllers) because otherwise there's not really a difference between the originals and the new re-releases except maybe the packaging/box.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Good point.
Judging by how it works on the NES Mini, the controller ports would resemble Wii/WiiU ports, so at the least their plugs would be different.

The problem is that it would take away from the N64 console "look"!
:eh:
Edited by No64DD, Jul 19 2016, 09:51 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@DDR: The NES controllers are IDENTICAL on the outside, but the cord ends with that funky wiimote plug-in, that the wii classic controller has. So the thought here is an IDENTICAL N64 controller with a different plug. But how many colors ?!?!? >:-]

I have to say that I'm inclined to by the NES controller even if I don't get the NES mini (1) because I'm a sucker for anything of that design, and (2) with the hope I can play VC games on my Wii and Wii U with it. (One controller included with the NES Mini, but Big N will also sell the controllers separately). The same would CERTAINLY go for a N64 controller to use on those systems without an expensive adaptoid or a Ralphnet creation.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Just imagine, 30 of the best N64 games in the palm of your hand! :lol:

Posted Image
Posted Image

CobraMJD
Member Avatar
Ex-Soldier 1st Class
For sure, even for decoration.
Posted Image
:n64: Posted Image: 3/296
:n64: Posted Image: 30/198
:n64: Posted Image: 2/???

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
It is appealing to me, as is the mini NES. I have the games I want though pretty much, so it likely wouldn't be a really high priority unless it was a super good deal

BooMan
Member Avatar
I would buy 2 for sure. One to use and the other to keep minty fresh in box. Here is the tough one though. What 30 games would be included? I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.
296/296

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
As above - I would definitely buy two! One to keep minty new, one to play. How about awesome new funtastic options as well? Or keep it simple and classy with the Charcoal. Interesting thought indeed. Agreed as above the control sticks would need to be of similar quality or better.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I would buy the heck out of that. The prospect of brand new N64 controllers makes me tingle just thinking about it!

Ideally though I want them backwards compatible with the original hardware. But I don't anticipate that happening. Maybe somebody will make an adapter for the NES Mini controller to work with the original NES... that might bring some light to my dream.

Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
yes count me in !

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
veteran of the psychic wars
I'm with Cabanon...
No questions asked, YES! :w00t:
Posted Image
Posted Image

CobraMJD
Member Avatar
Ex-Soldier 1st Class
Comparing the Nes and N64 libraries probably the miniN64 would get only 5 games included. Or less.
Posted Image
:n64: Posted Image: 3/296
:n64: Posted Image: 30/198
:n64: Posted Image: 2/???

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@CobraMJD, it should be the other way around! The N64 library is the smallest, and should be the simplest to port. Ideally.

Ever since the birth of the "Virtual Console", we've only seen certain titles trickle in. Unfortunately.

I think the whole process needs reevaluated!!

Edited by No64DD, Jul 20 2016, 01:30 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shangyou
Member Avatar
Dreamwalker
Yes I would definitely get one and while Nintendo is at it, they should release an official English version of the F-Zero X Expansion Kit (64DD) on it!

We should all give our individual votes and compile a list of top 20 or 30 games that should be included in the N64 mini just in case somebody high up in Nintendo ever comes around here. X_D
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Yeah so I'll start the ball rolling: they would need Goldeneye / Perfect Dark for sure. Trouble is, would Rare allow it given they have been swallowed up by Microsoft... :-/
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

BooMan
Member Avatar
Banjo Kazooie would be a must for me, but Milage007 makes a good point about Rare.
296/296

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
It would be a great way to get around the fact we are running out of original controllers since it will be set up to correctly use whatever it is they will be using (WiiU controllers?) but as Milage007 points out, Nintendo won;t have the rights to a few of the original N64 games, like Goldeneye and presumably any of the other Rare games. That would take the shine off it...

breeding_fear
Member Avatar
Established Member
I would buy one for sure.. but N64 has a very small games library compared to NES and SNES.
So i don't think Nintendo would give us 30 games..
There's also the copyrights issue..

Do you think that the cartridges will lose ebay value when the games get a release on mini consoles?
Edited by breeding_fear, Aug 6 2016, 04:10 AM.
:n64: EUR PAL Games: 111/239

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
breeding_fear
Aug 6 2016, 04:09 AM
Do you think that the cartridges will lose ebay value when the games get a release on mini consoles?
Personally, I don't think so. Especially CIB. Given what is now a limited supply out there and more collectors entering the scene I don't see a dip in value anytime soon. Look at the Everdrive you can every single 64 game released AND all this other material like fan made Goldeneye etc, and yet prices are still hiking. Why? It's quite simple, the original, is the original, and I'm totally on that wagon I love having the original box and all of that.

I have come to the conclusion personally that I cannot collect every CIB game because I personally wouldn't want to pay top dollar for games that really wouldn't interest me at all. So I am thinking of getting an Everdrive to complement my 120 odd CIB games.

Regardless of the N64 library, Nintendo have sufficient awesome titles to do a re-boot of the N64 mini, but they may fear it will not be as successful if they cannot release the Rare titles which are many peoples favourites. I have to say I would be very disappointed not to see Goldeneye.
Edited by Milage007, Aug 7 2016, 02:14 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
Yes!!!

Games I would want on it include:
Mario Kart
Super Mario
1080 Snowboarding
Goldeneye
Turok 2
Harvest Moon
Ogre Battle
Perfect Dark
Conker's BFD
Star Wars Episode 1 Racer
Pokemon Snap
Paper Mario
Super Smash Bros
Star Wars Rogue Squadron
Star Fox
Banjo Kazooie

I didn't add any of the Zelda games because they've been remade already. What am I missing?

SoloJones64
Established Member
I would be 100% down. I also love the controller idea seeing as I'm running low on n64 controllers to collect.

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
HM64 was coming to the Wii U VC and was canned due to 'issues', so I can't imagine it'd make it into an N64 Mini release. IIRC it was some technical problem with the emulation.

Really, the Rare situation makes it unlikely. At most they could get DK64 and Diddy Kong Racing.

DaruniaDancing
Member Avatar
Absolutely! I'm not very tech-savvy, and for a while now, my TV won't hook up to an N64. The TV's probably too new? So I've been exploring ROMS and stuff (we're allowed to talk about those, right? Just don't link to anything?). The knockoff USB controller I have is terrible though. Ugh. Shooting arrows in OOT with any precision is next to impossible.

So I'd love an N64 mini. In the shorter term though, I'm probably going to pick up an old TV and N64. However, money's tight at the moment, so might have to wait a bit. Sigh.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@DaruniaDancing: keep your eyes open for some poor old CRTVs just sitting on a curb waiting for trash pickup. They deserve a new home!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DaruniaDancing
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Aug 31 2016, 04:05 AM
@DaruniaDancing: keep your eyes open for some poor old CRTVs just sitting on a curb waiting for trash pickup. They deserve a new home!
Good call! I don't actually know the difference between a CRTV and a newer one though. I'll have to look it up. My technical knowledge pretty much amounts to ó hey, that TV looks old and clunky; I bet it would play an N64!

heavyxfriends
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'd love an N64 mini but I think it would be missing so many classics, it's almost not worth doing :(

lithium017
Member Avatar
Is Now Posting With Power
If the N64 Mini had 64 of the consoles best games, then absolutely. Actually, if it only had 30, that would be okay too
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14

SoloJones64
Established Member
lithium017
Sep 2 2016, 12:52 AM
If the N64 Mini had 64 of the consoles best games, then absolutely. Actually, if it only had 30, that would be okay too
I'd be in if it just had Blitz, destruction derby, beetle adventure racing, mario, Mario kart, conker, sin and pubishment, paper mario, star fox, banjo, and pokemon snap lol

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: