Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Would you buy an N64 Mini?
Topic Started: Jul 19 2016, 08:15 AM (2,822 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
With the SNES mini now a certainty, we can safely assume that an N64 mini is a 2018 possibility. Really excited at the thought of having an official N64 controller that plugs in to the Wii-mote. :w00t:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I wouldn't buy it but seeing Starfox 2 on the Snesmini it would be great to see Twelve Tales on the N64 mini. I know the odds of any Rare game outside of Dk64 is slim or none in the case of Goldeneye and Mickey Speedway (lol) but it's a pipedream. The whole N64 mini is going to be awkward without some of the Rare games. I'd be interested to see what third party stuff even made it to the N64mini.

Konami supported the other minis quite well but for N64? Hybrid Heaven and the sports games have no chance in hell. Castlevania? That would be awkward considering that game has a negative stigma in the series. Maybe the Goemon games? I recall Konami owns Bomberman so that's probably a good choice

I'm pretty sure Nintendo owns Sin and Punishment so that would probably be on there even though I doubt Mischief Makers would. Capcom may add Megaman64? Resident Evil 2 has a remake soon but I doubt that version would be added and Magical Tetris Challenge seems like it has no chance

I don't know most of the N64's best third party games came from companies that don't exist anymore or games that are so unknown they have no chance.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
It is tempting and will be interesting what games they do manage to secure. It will be less than 20 on the system I expect but I may be wrong. Which would be a tad disappointing considering one can only assume the price will increase again from the Snes Mini.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it’s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can’t feed the poor’

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The N64 mini would have to support four players, right?

Anybody ready to guess which games will be included if the N64 mini becomes a reality?

More than likely the bonus game would be Sin and Punishment since Nintendo went through all the trouble of localizing it for the Virtual Console. :blink:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Milage007
Jun 27 2017, 12:45 PM
It is tempting and will be interesting what games they do manage to secure. It will be less than 20 on the system I expect but I may be wrong. Which would be a tad disappointing considering one can only assume the price will increase again from the Snes Mini.
That's a good point. I'm surprised the Snes mini got less games than the original Nes mini. 21 games for $80 is a lot. Meanwhile Sega can release consoles with 80 games for less than $50 with decent build quality. What is the N64 version going to charge extra for 4 controllers and possibly still only have 20 games with like 4 having multiplayer? I would never buy it but then again I realize this is more for an easy gift for people who haven't played in 15 years.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jun 27 2017, 01:00 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Oh I've had so many ideas for this since the nes mini was a thing. I would actually hope for the n64 mini to have GameCube controller ports instead of wiimote attachment ports.

Why? Because for some reason, Wiimote attachment port seems to give Nintendo reason to make the cords extra short. I'll have to wait and see about the snes mini's supposed 5 foot cord but the original gamecube's was already causing me problems. The smash bros GameCube controllers are so much better in that regard.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

NzBoi
Member Avatar
I will (would) defiantly get one,It would be a shame to not have rare games but:

Mario Games (64, Tennis, Golf, Party, Paper)
DK
Zelda
Smash Bros
Pokemon stadum
Yoshi
Star Fox

It wouldn't even need third party games, but you can bet some great ones would be on there

The question of controllers is interesting, even if the do bundle it with 2 (a la the SNES Min) there would have to be support for up to four.
It would be amazing if they made it game cube style ports, but even if its the Wii mote style and even if there is only 2, they would at LEAST have to make some kind of multi tap available.

I have read that the SNES mini controllers cords are longer than the NES mini ones were

Anyway as i am guilty of collecting for the sake of collecting, i will get one to sit on the shelf and look pretty, even if it dosnt end up living up to expectations

All assuming they do one at all.... :yeah:
Edited by NzBoi, Jun 28 2017, 04:19 AM.

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
as a collector, ofcourse I would buy the N64 Mini, the Western and Japanese variant =)
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

sanni
Member Avatar
The SNES Mini is $110 in Germany, I still ordered one since I want to at least hold it in my hands for a second. :wub:
Concerning the N64 Mini I really hope they do the funtastic series instead of the black/grey standard console.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Gotta love how Ninty improved upon the NES mini release by have 2 controllers with longer cords and an unreleased game that nearly justifies the purchase by itself.

I'm not sure I'll divert Switch funds to get one, but the SNES mini is more intriguing to me than the NES mini.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

jonebone
Member Avatar
Not only would Rare games probably not make the cut due to licensing, but I can't see Nintendo putting Mature rated games on the kid friendly classic version. So right away, no Goldeneye, PD, RE2, Conker, etc.

When you take that into account I'd imagine you'd have 20 or less titles. I'd also assume 2 controller pack in with support for up to 4. If they did multiple colors of the controllers then watch out, prices on those would probably be nutty secondhand. It was impossible to find spare controllers on the NES Mini and if you add in multiple colors and almost everyone wanting 4 instead of the standard 2, they would be very hard to find.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
A mini N64 just wouldn't seem right without Rare. Maybe the Minecraft/Nintendo relationship will soften those negotiations?
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
@jonebone - I agree they won't make the cut but disagree with the potential logic I.e the demograph or target audience isn't kids really it's kids at 25 and upwards surely. As in those who played the thing in that era. But quite rightly, I agree, they won't want to seclude the younger audience and it will be at the cost of some of the better hitters.

I imagine Wave Race 64 would make the cut!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it’s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can’t feed the poor’

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nintendo seems to be aiming at making their minis pure nostalgia machines. With that in mind, I believe they'll find a way to get GoldenEye 007 on the N64 mini if they bother to produce it. I also suspect that Nintendo will need to get Killer Instinct Gold on the N64 mini since the original console's fighting game lineup was so thin. Neither is completely out of the question given that Donkey Kong Country is appearing on the SNES mini.

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Cruis'n USA will be on it . . . and I will be the only one applauding that. 100% agree that Wave Race will make the cut . . . but will it have rumble support?!?? :w00t:
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Would i buy an N64 Classic Edition? Yes!

We all know it's coming. If Starfox2 can up the ante like that, just imagine what an N64 release could spell with Ocarina of Time being nearly 20 years old. :blink:
Edited by No64DD, Jun 28 2017, 11:00 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
As much I'd love to make a wishlist of titles I would like to see on a N64 Mini, here's a more pragmatic approach for what we can realistically expect.

First up, (most) Rare games are out. This is going to be the biggest blow because of how iconic they were to the system, but the bottom line is that Nintendo do not have the rights to these games anymore and judging by the SNES Mini's line-up they won't be making a deal with Microsoft anytime soon. Nintendo DO have the rights to Donkey Kong, but Rare own Dixie and Kiddy Kong, which is why the SNES Mini has the first Donkey Kong Country but not 2 or 3.

So that means we will see Donkey Kong 64, but not Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Blast Corps, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Diddy Kong Racing, GoldenEye 007, Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct Gold, Mickey's Speedway USA or Perfect Dark.

Another glaring omission from the SNES mini line-up were the Super Star Wars games, these were made available for the Wii Virtual Console but I presume that the Disney buyout has messed up the ownership rights and that probably means no Factor 5 / LucasArts games for the N64 Mini. So no Star Wars: Episode I - Battle for Naboo, Star Wars: Episode I - Racer, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron or Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

Next up, we should probably elimate the first-party games which don't function without certain peripherals. So that's no Pokémon Stadium or Pokémon Stadium 2 (transfer pak) and no Hey You, Pikachu! (voice recognition unit). Also, in a similar vein, I suspect they will only want to include one of the Mario Party games, my guess would be Mario Party 2, as this is the only one which has been made available on Virtual Console.

In fact, if you look at the list of N64 games that have been made available for the Virtual Console, it only totals 26 games. At the end of the day, I imagine that Nintendo will just pick 20 (maybe 21) from this list. The only big first-party release that is missing from this list is Pilotwings 64. However, considering that the original Pilotwing was omitted from the SNES Mini's line-up, despite having a VC ROM available, I'm guessing that it's not going to show up on the N64 Mini either.

With all that said, here's my prediction for the N64 Mini's line-up:
- Bomberman 64
- Donkey Kong 64
- Excitebike 64
- F-Zero X
- Harvest Moon 64
- Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Mario Kart 64
- Mario Party 2
- Mario Tennis
- Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
- Paper Mario
- Pokémon Puzzle League
- Pokémon Snap
- Star Fox 64
- Super Mario 64
- Super Smash Bros.
- Wave Race 64
- Yoshi's Story

And finally, Japan will get:
- Custom Robo V2
- Sin and Punishment

Instead of:
- Harvest Moon 64
- Pokémon Puzzle League

Plus, Japan will maybe get an exclusive:
- Dobutsu no Mori (Animal Forest).
Edited by danilochka, Jun 28 2017, 03:22 PM.
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Jun 27 2017, 03:40 PM
Oh I've had so many ideas for this since the nes mini was a thing. I would actually hope for the n64 mini to have GameCube controller ports instead of wiimote attachment ports.
If Nintendo made the controller ports for their mini systems USB, they could potentially manufacture those controllers forever because people would gladly pay top dollar so they could use them with emulators.

Everybody raves about the iBuffalo Super Famicom style USB controller but I'm sure most people would much rather have an official Nintendo SNES/SFC pad that supports USB. I know I would. :D

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Jun 28 2017, 02:36 PM
If Nintendo made the controller ports for their mini systems USB, they could potentially manufacture those controllers forever because people would gladly pay top dollar so they could use them with emulators.

Everybody raves about the iBuffalo Super Famicom style USB controller but I'm sure most people would much rather have an official Nintendo SNES/SFC pad that supports USB. I know I would. :D
I'd be all for that but you know Nintendo with their emulation paranoia. I highly doubt it would fly :p

I wouldn't even mind if they just made it use GameCube controllers, though that would be really controversial with purists like us. I guess I'm just really used to Wii virtual console in that regard but...

1. The n64 controller wasn't well received by a lot of "casual" fans because of its three pronginess
2. The GameCube control stick is light years ahead of the n64's
3. All them Smash Bros Melee fanboys are still sticking to their GameCube controller 15 years later

EDIT: Why didn't I think of this before? Hori controller replicas!!!! GameCube joystick, n64 buttons, relatively ergonomic design, and Nintendo as far as I know still has a pretty good relationship with the company.

In terms of niche games like star fox 2, I'm thinking we'd most likely get sin and punishment, maybe master quest OoT, and hopefully the f-zero expansion kit.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Jun 28 2017, 03:02 PM.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'm a bit skeptic when it comes to these minis. Aside from being a novelty item, foremost, it's just another easy cash-in for Nintendo, making us, the customers, pay yet again for the same games over and over again with each new console and now these mini's. Aside from that, it's quite expensive for a SoC and what's basically just a glorified emulator.

Also, I'm wondering if a N64 mini would actually make the cut. The system was far less popular and iconic compared to it's predecessors (even though some would say otherwise) and even nowadays (on even the most sophisticated computers), emulation of the N64 is difficult due to it's complicated hardware (even VC is not 100% stable when it comes to N64 games). There are some licensing issues for some of the most iconic titles too due to abandoned third-party developers. However, again, they could just do it for the cash-in, as people would probably buy it anyway.

That being said, if it WOULD come out, I'm definitely in for it due to my love for the N64.
As to games that would make the cut, i'd say;
- Super Mario 64
- Mario Kart 64
- F-zero X
- Ocarina of Time
- WaveRace
- Yoshi's Story
- Super Smash Bros.
- The first Goemon game
- Pilotwings
- Kirby 64
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Paper Mario

I'm wondering if they would do something similar as the Starfox2 inclusion, for the N64.
As there are to my knowledge no highly anticipated games that were cancelled just before release (don't say Mother3), probably it would be a localization of a popular NTSC-J title, if they would even do such a thing.

NzBoi
Member Avatar
Vaettur
Jun 28 2017, 06:07 PM
I'm a bit skeptic when it comes to these minis. Aside from being a novelty item, foremost, it's just another easy cash-in for Nintendo, making us, the customers, pay yet again for the same games over and over again with each new console and now these mini's. Aside from that, it's quite expensive for a SoC and what's basically just a glorified emulator.

Also, I'm wondering if a N64 mini would actually make the cut. The system was far less popular and iconic compared to it's predecessors (even though some would say otherwise) and even nowadays (on even the most sophisticated computers), emulation of the N64 is difficult due to it's complicated hardware (even VC is not 100% stable when it comes to N64 games). There are some licensing issues for some of the most iconic titles too due to abandoned third-party developers. However, again, they could just do it for the cash-in, as people would probably buy it anyway.

That being said, if it WOULD come out, I'm definitely in for it due to my love for the N64.
As to games that would make the cut, i'd say;
- Super Mario 64
- Mario Kart 64
- F-zero X
- Ocarina of Time
- WaveRace
- Yoshi's Story
- Super Smash Bros.
- The first Goemon game
- Pilotwings
- Kirby 64
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Paper Mario

I'm wondering if they would do something similar as the Starfox2 inclusion, for the N64.
As there are to my knowledge no highly anticipated games that were cancelled just before release (don't say Mother3), probably it would be a localization of a popular NTSC-J title, if they would even do such a thing.
Nintendo would/could have produced and sold a lot more NES mini systems if it was just a cash grab, as the clearly make no money off the high secondary market.

Also its much more than just an emulator or you people would not buy them and just play emulators for free....
Edited by NzBoi, Jun 28 2017, 07:48 PM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nintendo's mini line seems like a concession to casual gamers and collectors alike. Really hard to argue with the results as almost everybody who fancies themselves a gamer or collector wants one.

Posted Image

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
NzBoi
Jun 28 2017, 07:48 PM
Nintendo would/could have produced and sold a lot more NES mini systems if it was just a cash grab, as the clearly make no money off the high secondary market.

Also its much more than just an emulator or you people would not buy them and just play emulators for free....
Except that it really is just a fancy packaged emulator. A well packaged, official emulator that is, but an emulator nonetheless.

Admittedly, the NES mini probably didn't start as a cash grab, but definitely became one due to excitement upon release.
Also, I wouldn't call this secondary market at all and saying that they make no money off of it makes no sense.
With a $60 price-tag (even higher for the SNES one), a cheap to produce SoC and a library consisting 90% of first-party titles, there is definitely something in for Nintendo. Not as much as VC, but still.
Of course, in the end it's just a classic case of "Shut up and take my money".
Edited by Vaettur, Jun 28 2017, 08:47 PM.

jonebone
Member Avatar
bluedogrulez
Jun 28 2017, 06:42 AM
Cruis'n USA will be on it . . . and I will be the only one applauding that. 100% agree that Wave Race will make the cut . . . but will it have rumble support?!?? :w00t:
Hey, Cruis'n USA is one of my favorite N64 games. I agree it would most definitely make the list as that was one of the early launch titles.

Also with all of these proposed lists, you must consider that Super Mario 64, Zelda OOT and Zelda Majora's Mask have all been remastered recently on DS and 3DS. Those titles should still be on the list but they'll need much more to create an appeal for the system.
Edited by jonebone, Jun 29 2017, 04:53 AM.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
jonebone
Jun 29 2017, 04:52 AM
Also with all of these proposed lists, you must consider that Super Mario 64, Zelda OOT and Zelda Majora's Mask have all been remastered recently on DS and 3DS. Those titles should still be on the list but they'll need much more to create an appeal for the system.
People will buy it in any case. I bet it would still sell well if it were even ONLY those 3 titles.

I think i have bought OoT 7 times across 5 different systems. :facepalm:

Tyree_Cooper
Member Avatar
Established Member
To answer the original question, no, I wouldn't buy it, and I'm not buying any other fancy-packaged emulator like the NES and SNES one, to quote Vaettur. This has been my thought since the beginning. I have put some money in real N64 consoles and many games are cheap, especially loose.

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
Vaettur
Jun 29 2017, 06:42 AM
I think i have bought OoT 7 times across 5 different systems. :facepalm:
I'm right there with you lol.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
@Vaettur: I think you hit the nail on the head with the word "skeptic" in reference to these classic systems. The way the NES classic was handled can only be described as a debacle, and I don't want Nintendo to make the same mistakes again. But this 2017-only run for the snes mini bothers me.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
ItalianBaptist
Jun 29 2017, 06:16 PM
@Vaettur: I think you hit the nail on the head with the word "skeptic" in reference to these classic systems. The way the NES classic was handled can only be described as a debacle, and I don't want Nintendo to make the same mistakes again. But this 2017-only run for the snes mini bothers me.
A limited run "justifies" the pricetag, because people are willing to pay more for limited items (being afraid that the price will gradually inflate after production ends).
It all comes down to marketing and sales. And people are buying it. Very clever, Nintendo...

Can't blame them though. In the end it is of course just a company that needs to make money. Limiting stock is a classic marketing trick.

Kamikaze
ItalianBaptist
Jun 29 2017, 06:16 PM
A few days ago I found a different vieuw on this. The person stated Nintendo does not want you to have a Nintendo-mini in any form. They want the buzz around it, Nintendo "in general" feeling like it hot and sold out everywhere, so more people want it. The mini-series has plenty of short run profit, but Big N wants tobmove more expensive Switch consoles, specially with extra controllers and $60-each games. That's what they want. Note when the snes mini is releasing; holiday season. This way both the Mini and Switch will feel sold out and people will buy them massively and on impulse (before they think they will sell out again), the Switch that is, because minis are sold out.

Problem is, Nintendo has trouble stocking Switches as well at the moment.

On topic; I'd probably grab a N64mini and GC-mini, just to complete the sets and have a compact way of playing "on the go" (read; camping site and the like)
Edited by Kamikaze, Jun 30 2017, 03:42 AM.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: