Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Would you buy an N64 Mini?
Topic Started: Jul 19 2016, 08:15 AM (3,295 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
NES mini, SNES mini and even an N64 mini make sense to me but I can't see Nintendo carrying it out all the way to the GameCube. Not that I don't like the system but there just aren't enough iconic titles on the GC to justify it, in my extremely humble opinion. Besides, the original Wii provides access to the entire GC library so in a sense it's sorta a GameCube mini. :D

A Nintendo 64 Classic Edition at around $100 with two Wii-mote compatible controllers seems like an easy sell to me, however, since Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64, Wave Race 64 and the two Zeldas are still held in such high regard. You don't even have to be a Nintendo fanboy like most of us to appreciate the N64's perennial top ten. :lol:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

deal
The thing about N64 Mini is they can put ALL of the good N64 games on the thing if they put at minimum 15 games on the thing. Really I think the N64 has tops 10 good games. You might could stretch that to say 15 games. So if Nintendo puts 20 games on the thing, then it should have every good N64 games you'd ever want to play.
The big problem I see if the N64 controller. It's a funky controller. It was seen that at the time, and it really would be seen as a funky controller today. I wonder if Nintendo did an N64 mini. Do you think they may make a re-designed N64 controller? I.e. get rid of the center trident piece and design it more like the gamecube controller? I think they may just skip the N64 as they could easily do the Gamecube mini since they just recently re-released the Gamecube controller.

I actually would be interested in the N64 Mini just because those games have been hard to emulate by the 3rd parties, etc. And so would be nice if they had all of the good games on it that you could play on HDMI.
Edited by deal, Jul 3 2017, 10:47 AM.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@deal: Well, there might be 15 obvious games, but there are far more excellent games on the N64. Our 64-Bit Review section is there to help folks find many excellent games that call the N64 home.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
deal
Jul 3 2017, 10:40 AM
Do you think they may make a re-designed N64 controller? I.e. get rid of the center trident piece and design it more like the gamecube controller?
Maybe not Nintendo, but i could see HORI redoing the Horipadmini64 controllers!! :omg:
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I don't think they'd re-design the controller. These minis have been all about nostalgia and while I could see a different thumbstick mechanisim internally (potentiometer) I bet the look and feel would be identical.

Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
deal
Jul 3 2017, 10:40 AM
I actually would be interested in the N64 Mini just because those games have been hard to emulate by the 3rd parties, etc. And so would be nice if they had all of the good games on it that you could play on HDMI.
I guess you're not following the scene. 64drive or everdrive are the way to go and both do great job emulating every games, even 64dd !

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 64drive/everdrive isn't exactly emulating N64 games, as it runs on the actual hardware.
Deal's point probably is that he wants to see proper emulation to use with modern TVs, which isn't possible with an actual N64 (not properly, in any case).

As for that matter, I don't think they will do anything about it. They didn't do it for the Virtual Console, they won't do it for a potential N64 Mini.
Since it requires significant re-coding, I doubt they'll put the time, money and trouble into it, especially for what's basically a novelty.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Vaettur
Jul 4 2017, 07:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 64drive/everdrive isn't exactly emulating N64 games, as it runs on the actual hardware.
Deal's point probably is that he wants to see proper emulation to use with modern TVs, which isn't possible with an actual N64 (not properly, in any case).

As for that matter, I don't think they will do anything about it. They didn't do it for the Virtual Console, they won't do it for a potential N64 Mini.
Since it requires significant re-coding, I doubt they'll put the time, money and trouble into it, especially for what's basically a novelty.
N64 Virtual Console games are different than the cartridge originals in that the run in progressive scan rather than interlaced. That makes them look substantially better on modern HDTV's. I suspect the VC versions is what Nintendo would use if they do in fact manufacture an N64 mini somewhere down the road.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
make sense since these are already upgraded version. this also confirm that no Rare games will be included unless some very sweet magic happens

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nintendo Trademark Suggets N64 Classic Mini Coming

This is pretty exciting! :w00t:

Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Suh-weet!
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I havent really been too interested in the NES + SNES mini but I'd be all over this. It will be really interesting to see if they fix the controllers issues though. For me they would have to keep the appearance the same. Personally I love the N64 controllers looks and always have,
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

sanni
Member Avatar
What if they go totally crazy and add online multiplayer? They promised such a feature for some virtual console games on the Switch. So it would be a nice small scale test run, maybe limited to just a few of the games like Mario Kart and Super Smash.
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

andyk2003
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'm with you there, online Mario kart 64 is my absolute dream. I'm not getting the NES or SNES mini by I'll definitely get the N64 version if it comes out.
My CRT thread:

Cabanon
Elite
mk64 online would be very sweet but godleneye would be insane. that'd be a long dream come true.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
It would never happen buy Goldeneye would be amazing online.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I figured an N64 mini was inevitable. At this point, though, I'm just interested in how Nintendo will handle the controller. Will parts from the N64 mini controller be compatible with the original N64 controllers?

Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
I have to get one of these if they do release one. As others have said, it hasn't grabbed me so much the others, mainly because I have the games I want on the Snes and NES Mini has some of my favourite games missing - Turtles, Paperboy etc so if I wanted to rekindle my love for this console, I would buy a retro one so I could play ALL my favourites. This combined with my reluctance to pay extortionate prices due to Nintendo mismatching supply and demand.

I really will need to get in early on the pre-orders but the amount of people ordering loads really makes it difficult.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

pilonium64
No. Will not buy any of these " mini " versions of consoles. NES, SNES, N64, whatever for the following reasons.

1. Real HW > Anyform of reedition, bootleg, clone
2. They are selling you something that is already done for almost 20 Years: Emulation
3. Input lag, inherent to any form of emulation.

Just pick a second hand N64, loose carts of the titles you like the most and enjoy.

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
pilonium64
Jul 28 2017, 09:57 PM
No. Will not buy any of these " mini " versions of consoles. NES, SNES, N64, whatever for the following reasons.

1. Real HW > Anyform of reedition, bootleg, clone
2. They are selling you something that is already done for almost 20 Years: Emulation
3. Input lag, inherent to any form of emulation.

Just pick a second hand N64, loose carts of the titles you like the most and enjoy.

For me it's more about the collectability. I'll always be a fan of the original carts over emulation. I almost have a full PAL set as well so why wouldn't I use that. I guess the idea of the N64 Mini for me is 1) the collectability and 2) interesting to see what they do surrounding the controller. Also, 3) potentially, online multiplayer?

But yeah for actually enjoying the games, as ever, sticking with the originals.

Oh and 4) what if we get a game that was never released or an extra beta game.
Edited by Milage007, Jul 29 2017, 12:34 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

ShagoR
Yes of course, what i am hoping is that they will add the F Zero X expansion kit.

We'll see :)

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
I still wonder if they would do such a thing... The expansion kit...
Of course, it would be easy to port, with minimal translation needed, but:

- It's not an "unreleased" game in the sense of "cancelled". It just never got released out of Japan, automatically making it sorta uninteresting for the Japanese.
- It's a nice expansion, but most definitely not a system seller.

Starfox 2 was finished and pretty much cancelled JUST before release. They had a ready game that a lot of people were psyched about, making it easy to release it for a system like the SNES mini.
I don't think there is such a (first-party) title like that for N64, or not to my knowledge anyway, hence why I think it won't happen.

If it will happen, it will probably be something lame like Master Quest, which in theory never officially got released, for the N64 anyway.

Of course, I do hope for a surprise from Nintendo's side...

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Considering that the only release of Master Quest in the West was a pre-order bonus for Gamecube Wind Waker, and also considering I still need to play the original, I'd actually be okay with that.

But the F-Zero X Expansion Kit would be neat too.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
It would be very easy for them to put Master Quest on it. The Gamecube version is actually emulation an N64 rom from the disc anyway.
Twitter - Youtube - Collection

Controllers - Boxed US (8/8) - Blister (7/7)
Games - Sealed - (9) - Boxed (79) - Lose (77)
Grey Variants - (9/14)

BostonJohnathanGB
i wouldnt because it slightly ruins the nostalgia of the original model
"On my Business card, I am a corporate president. in my mind, i am a game developer. but in my heart i am a gamer." Satoru Iwata (2002-2015)

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
BostonJohnathanGB
Oct 14 2017, 02:20 PM
In what way? :huh:

To my mind the original model and the N64 Mini can peacefully coexist. The latter obviously makes sense to those of us who want to play our favorite N64 games on a modern HDTV that features HDMI inputs.

Posted Image

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
BostonJohnathanGB
Oct 14 2017, 02:20 PM
I agree with that. I feel like if you want to play n64 games you go get yourself a real N64! It feels like cheating having the mini. For me it's not only about the games we play on it, it's the whole experience of the carts and all that.

But the collector in me of course has to and will get one.

"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: