Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Would you buy an N64 Mini?
Topic Started: Jul 19 2016, 08:15 AM (2,832 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
With the SNES mini now a certainty, we can safely assume that an N64 mini is a 2018 possibility. Really excited at the thought of having an official N64 controller that plugs in to the Wii-mote. :w00t:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The N64 mini would have to support four players, right?

Anybody ready to guess which games will be included if the N64 mini becomes a reality?

More than likely the bonus game would be Sin and Punishment since Nintendo went through all the trouble of localizing it for the Virtual Console. :blink:
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nintendo seems to be aiming at making their minis pure nostalgia machines. With that in mind, I believe they'll find a way to get GoldenEye 007 on the N64 mini if they bother to produce it. I also suspect that Nintendo will need to get Killer Instinct Gold on the N64 mini since the original console's fighting game lineup was so thin. Neither is completely out of the question given that Donkey Kong Country is appearing on the SNES mini.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Jun 27 2017, 03:40 PM
Oh I've had so many ideas for this since the nes mini was a thing. I would actually hope for the n64 mini to have GameCube controller ports instead of wiimote attachment ports.
If Nintendo made the controller ports for their mini systems USB, they could potentially manufacture those controllers forever because people would gladly pay top dollar so they could use them with emulators.

Everybody raves about the iBuffalo Super Famicom style USB controller but I'm sure most people would much rather have an official Nintendo SNES/SFC pad that supports USB. I know I would. :D

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nintendo's mini line seems like a concession to casual gamers and collectors alike. Really hard to argue with the results as almost everybody who fancies themselves a gamer or collector wants one.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
NES mini, SNES mini and even an N64 mini make sense to me but I can't see Nintendo carrying it out all the way to the GameCube. Not that I don't like the system but there just aren't enough iconic titles on the GC to justify it, in my extremely humble opinion. Besides, the original Wii provides access to the entire GC library so in a sense it's sorta a GameCube mini. :D

A Nintendo 64 Classic Edition at around $100 with two Wii-mote compatible controllers seems like an easy sell to me, however, since Super Smash Bros., Mario Kart 64, Wave Race 64 and the two Zeldas are still held in such high regard. You don't even have to be a Nintendo fanboy like most of us to appreciate the N64's perennial top ten. :lol:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Vaettur
Jul 4 2017, 07:21 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 64drive/everdrive isn't exactly emulating N64 games, as it runs on the actual hardware.
Deal's point probably is that he wants to see proper emulation to use with modern TVs, which isn't possible with an actual N64 (not properly, in any case).

As for that matter, I don't think they will do anything about it. They didn't do it for the Virtual Console, they won't do it for a potential N64 Mini.
Since it requires significant re-coding, I doubt they'll put the time, money and trouble into it, especially for what's basically a novelty.
N64 Virtual Console games are different than the cartridge originals in that the run in progressive scan rather than interlaced. That makes them look substantially better on modern HDTV's. I suspect the VC versions is what Nintendo would use if they do in fact manufacture an N64 mini somewhere down the road.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nintendo Trademark Suggets N64 Classic Mini Coming

This is pretty exciting! :w00t:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I figured an N64 mini was inevitable. At this point, though, I'm just interested in how Nintendo will handle the controller. Will parts from the N64 mini controller be compatible with the original N64 controllers?

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
BostonJohnathanGB
Oct 14 2017, 02:20 PM
i wouldnt because it slightly ruins the nostalgia of the original model
In what way? :huh:

To my mind the original model and the N64 Mini can peacefully coexist. The latter obviously makes sense to those of us who want to play our favorite N64 games on a modern HDTV that features HDMI inputs.

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply