Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Would you buy an N64 Mini?
Topic Started: Jul 19 2016, 08:15 AM (3,345 Views)
danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Just imagine, 30 of the best N64 games in the palm of your hand! :lol:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
As much I'd love to make a wishlist of titles I would like to see on a N64 Mini, here's a more pragmatic approach for what we can realistically expect.

First up, (most) Rare games are out. This is going to be the biggest blow because of how iconic they were to the system, but the bottom line is that Nintendo do not have the rights to these games anymore and judging by the SNES Mini's line-up they won't be making a deal with Microsoft anytime soon. Nintendo DO have the rights to Donkey Kong, but Rare own Dixie and Kiddy Kong, which is why the SNES Mini has the first Donkey Kong Country but not 2 or 3.

So that means we will see Donkey Kong 64, but not Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Blast Corps, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Diddy Kong Racing, GoldenEye 007, Jet Force Gemini, Killer Instinct Gold, Mickey's Speedway USA or Perfect Dark.

Another glaring omission from the SNES mini line-up were the Super Star Wars games, these were made available for the Wii Virtual Console but I presume that the Disney buyout has messed up the ownership rights and that probably means no Factor 5 / LucasArts games for the N64 Mini. So no Star Wars: Episode I - Battle for Naboo, Star Wars: Episode I - Racer, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron or Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire.

Next up, we should probably elimate the first-party games which don't function without certain peripherals. So that's no Pokémon Stadium or Pokémon Stadium 2 (transfer pak) and no Hey You, Pikachu! (voice recognition unit). Also, in a similar vein, I suspect they will only want to include one of the Mario Party games, my guess would be Mario Party 2, as this is the only one which has been made available on Virtual Console.

In fact, if you look at the list of N64 games that have been made available for the Virtual Console, it only totals 26 games. At the end of the day, I imagine that Nintendo will just pick 20 (maybe 21) from this list. The only big first-party release that is missing from this list is Pilotwings 64. However, considering that the original Pilotwing was omitted from the SNES Mini's line-up, despite having a VC ROM available, I'm guessing that it's not going to show up on the N64 Mini either.

With all that said, here's my prediction for the N64 Mini's line-up:
- Bomberman 64
- Donkey Kong 64
- Excitebike 64
- F-Zero X
- Harvest Moon 64
- Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Mario Kart 64
- Mario Party 2
- Mario Tennis
- Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber
- Paper Mario
- Pokémon Puzzle League
- Pokémon Snap
- Star Fox 64
- Super Mario 64
- Super Smash Bros.
- Wave Race 64
- Yoshi's Story

And finally, Japan will get:
- Custom Robo V2
- Sin and Punishment

Instead of:
- Harvest Moon 64
- Pokémon Puzzle League

Plus, Japan will maybe get an exclusive:
- Dobutsu no Mori (Animal Forest).
Edited by danilochka, Jun 28 2017, 03:22 PM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply