Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Would you buy an N64 Mini?
Topic Started: Jul 19 2016, 08:15 AM (2,135 Views)
Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'm a bit skeptic when it comes to these minis. Aside from being a novelty item, foremost, it's just another easy cash-in for Nintendo, making us, the customers, pay yet again for the same games over and over again with each new console and now these mini's. Aside from that, it's quite expensive for a SoC and what's basically just a glorified emulator.

Also, I'm wondering if a N64 mini would actually make the cut. The system was far less popular and iconic compared to it's predecessors (even though some would say otherwise) and even nowadays (on even the most sophisticated computers), emulation of the N64 is difficult due to it's complicated hardware (even VC is not 100% stable when it comes to N64 games). There are some licensing issues for some of the most iconic titles too due to abandoned third-party developers. However, again, they could just do it for the cash-in, as people would probably buy it anyway.

That being said, if it WOULD come out, I'm definitely in for it due to my love for the N64.
As to games that would make the cut, i'd say;
- Super Mario 64
- Mario Kart 64
- F-zero X
- Ocarina of Time
- WaveRace
- Yoshi's Story
- Super Smash Bros.
- The first Goemon game
- Pilotwings
- Kirby 64
- 1080 Snowboarding
- Paper Mario

I'm wondering if they would do something similar as the Starfox2 inclusion, for the N64.
As there are to my knowledge no highly anticipated games that were cancelled just before release (don't say Mother3), probably it would be a localization of a popular NTSC-J title, if they would even do such a thing.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
NzBoi
Jun 28 2017, 07:48 PM
Nintendo would/could have produced and sold a lot more NES mini systems if it was just a cash grab, as the clearly make no money off the high secondary market.

Also its much more than just an emulator or you people would not buy them and just play emulators for free....
Except that it really is just a fancy packaged emulator. A well packaged, official emulator that is, but an emulator nonetheless.

Admittedly, the NES mini probably didn't start as a cash grab, but definitely became one due to excitement upon release.
Also, I wouldn't call this secondary market at all and saying that they make no money off of it makes no sense.
With a $60 price-tag (even higher for the SNES one), a cheap to produce SoC and a library consisting 90% of first-party titles, there is definitely something in for Nintendo. Not as much as VC, but still.
Of course, in the end it's just a classic case of "Shut up and take my money".
Edited by Vaettur, Jun 28 2017, 08:47 PM.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
jonebone
Jun 29 2017, 04:52 AM
Also with all of these proposed lists, you must consider that Super Mario 64, Zelda OOT and Zelda Majora's Mask have all been remastered recently on DS and 3DS. Those titles should still be on the list but they'll need much more to create an appeal for the system.
People will buy it in any case. I bet it would still sell well if it were even ONLY those 3 titles.

I think i have bought OoT 7 times across 5 different systems. :facepalm:

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
ItalianBaptist
Jun 29 2017, 06:16 PM
@Vaettur: I think you hit the nail on the head with the word "skeptic" in reference to these classic systems. The way the NES classic was handled can only be described as a debacle, and I don't want Nintendo to make the same mistakes again. But this 2017-only run for the snes mini bothers me.
A limited run "justifies" the pricetag, because people are willing to pay more for limited items (being afraid that the price will gradually inflate after production ends).
It all comes down to marketing and sales. And people are buying it. Very clever, Nintendo...

Can't blame them though. In the end it is of course just a company that needs to make money. Limiting stock is a classic marketing trick.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 64drive/everdrive isn't exactly emulating N64 games, as it runs on the actual hardware.
Deal's point probably is that he wants to see proper emulation to use with modern TVs, which isn't possible with an actual N64 (not properly, in any case).

As for that matter, I don't think they will do anything about it. They didn't do it for the Virtual Console, they won't do it for a potential N64 Mini.
Since it requires significant re-coding, I doubt they'll put the time, money and trouble into it, especially for what's basically a novelty.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
I still wonder if they would do such a thing... The expansion kit...
Of course, it would be easy to port, with minimal translation needed, but:

- It's not an "unreleased" game in the sense of "cancelled". It just never got released out of Japan, automatically making it sorta uninteresting for the Japanese.
- It's a nice expansion, but most definitely not a system seller.

Starfox 2 was finished and pretty much cancelled JUST before release. They had a ready game that a lot of people were psyched about, making it easy to release it for a system like the SNES mini.
I don't think there is such a (first-party) title like that for N64, or not to my knowledge anyway, hence why I think it won't happen.

If it will happen, it will probably be something lame like Master Quest, which in theory never officially got released, for the N64 anyway.

Of course, I do hope for a surprise from Nintendo's side...

« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply