Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Underrated N64 music; The music that does not get enough love
Topic Started: Jul 21 2016, 09:00 AM (1,034 Views)
Wildfiremicro
Member Avatar
Established Member
What is the most underrated N64 music? Mine is the Mayan Temple music from Banjo Tootie. "Come and have a go, if you think your tough enough"
We are all mad here
Rip and tear until it's done
Youtube: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzsB1vGRWSrVZ4GNkdY856w
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I confess that to me, underrated music and underrated game might be synonymous. With that disclaimer, I nominate Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth. Pumps you up but also sets the mood and hits that space loneliness emotion, much as the Axelay soundtrack did. I guess Stage 1 is my favorite because it makes the game so darn inviting to me.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tyree_Cooper
Member Avatar
Established Member
What about Castlevania? The music was kind of misunderstood, as it wasn't as catchy and "memorable" as what Konami had done before. But given the atmosphere of the game and its deep scenario (for a Castlevania game), I think it's rather underrated.

Underground Waterway (with Carrie) and Underground Tunnel (with Reinhardt) are very good! The game has different levels with different music, granted, not many, but still impressive.
Edited by Tyree_Cooper, Jul 21 2016, 09:25 AM.

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
When talking about F-Zero's music, everyone is all about Mute City and Big Blue.

However, Devil's Call in Your Heart is where i turn my volume up!

Also, Edo Castle from the second Goemon game always pumped me up. Very grooving!
Edited by Vaettur, Jul 22 2016, 01:41 AM.

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
This topic can be very useful:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7459158/1/

I'm going to use this thread in order to add nice musics to my list ;-)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Wildfiremicro
Jul 21 2016, 09:00 AM
What is the most underrated N64 music? Mine is the Mayan Temple music from Banjo Tootie. "Come and have a go, if you think your tough enough"
I played all the way through Banjo-Tooie for the 3rd time in 2011 just because I heard that music and got the urge to play.

There are SO many! I don't know where to start.
Wave Race had some excellent ones.
Starfox 64/Lylat Wars had plenty.
And then there is the International Superstar Soccer menu music! 😍

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I am not super sure where to draw the line on what is underrated or not, but the N64 has some excellent music.

Extreme G always got me pumped up. Top Gear Rally was amazing. Rush 2 is another good one. I have mp3s from several N64 games on my PSP.

Tyree_Cooper
Member Avatar
Established Member
Yes, Extreme-G, Extreme-G 2 and Top Gear Rally are in my top list.

Besides, Top Gear Rally has 2 menu songs. A 'slow and sad' one for the US release and a much more 'eurodance' one for the Japanese and PAL release. I have never understood why they thought it would be a good idea to change? And I suppose the "original" song is the US one, as the game was developed in the US (not sure)?

Top Gear Rally - US menu song

Top Gear Rally - JPN/PAL menu song

The game is amazing, I love the handling. It just needed more tracks! Which menu song is your favourite? I'm with the JPN/PAL one. :yeah:

And while I'm on it, see some rendering of what they told us the game would look like. Cars are floating on the ground on a very pre-programmed path. Hilarious!
Edited by Tyree_Cooper, Jul 23 2016, 08:46 PM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Vaettur
Jul 22 2016, 01:41 AM

Also, Edo Castle from the second Goemon game always pumped me up. Very grooving!

Goemon's Great Adventure is just underrated in general. The theme I always get stuck in my head is Favor, which is the one that plays when you do some of the finding things mini games.

But the entire soundtrack for the game is fantastic.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 5 2016, 01:13 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Disco_Stu
Member Avatar
I totally love the Buck Bumble theme:

But there are tons of games with great soundtracks on the N64

Stu

mikezelot
Member Avatar
Star Wolfs Worst Nightmare
Photonic from tetrisphere
Posted Image N64 forever starfox 64 champion
"Im an elephant" - Conker
Both the n64 and the ps4 have 64 bit processors. Now I'm not saying the 64 could run crysis at 60 fps but I'm not saying it couldn't.
115 games
2 consoles
6 controllers

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Yeah what Stinger said is a fair point - how do you define underrated.

I totally love the Buck Bumble sound track. Some real good beats there way ahead of the curve for the time. House sort of music.

I think the Goldeneye level music complemented the levels well. If you imagine playing the game with no background music it would be quiet and I get more realistic, but this was a time before CoD when you now have the sound of footprints in the snow etc so all in all great to have something in the background.

There were some good tracks I liked on Perfect Dark too and what was and still is even more interesting is that you can set what tracks you want on your track list in multiplayer. We always used to select our favourites and have them on loop.
Edited by Milage007, Aug 13 2016, 02:28 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

LosTickaToeRest
Member Avatar
The Goldeneye score has some of my all-time favorite video game music. Like a weird fusion of classic John Barry 007 music with industrial beats/soundscapes. Which makes me think of J.G. Thirlwell. Which is a very good thing.

But for truly underrated, I think the Clayfighter 63 1/3 and Earthworm Jim 3D scores deserves some more love. Both are extremely flawed games that squander their potential but the music's pretty interesting in both of them. I remember the music from the latter's barnyard area, with the twangy/noisy Jesus Lizard-style guitar riffs, more than the stage itself.
Edited by LosTickaToeRest, Aug 13 2016, 12:09 PM.
Posted Image

http://www.last.fm/user/DToxico

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
This is definitely a thread I can get behind! Well might as well drop these three in here for starters. Lord knows I'll be back with more later.

Fighter Destiny 2 - Tomb

Hybrid Heaven - Fight!! 2

WCW vs. nWo: World Tour - BGM 4
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I too struggle with what is "underrated". I love Pilotwings 64's soundtrack. And it's not on every Top 10 list. Maybe that's underrated?

I think it gets a bad rap for being too cheezy, but I think every song complimented it's mode of flight very well. And that Birdman theme. Oh man. So good. In a "definitely not a adult film" sort of way.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

swaaye
Established Member
Top Gear Rally, Tetrisphere, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Super Mario 64, Pilotwings, and more I suppose. I guess I liked a lot of N64 music.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Chameleon Twist 2: Great Edo Land

This track picks up at the 30 second mark. This whole game gives off a bomberman vibe, including the soundtrack, and this song also has a little Mystical Ninja quality to it. Unfortunately reviewers at the time ripped this games music apart. :angry: Bastards! The whole lot of 'em! I guess they didn't like how upbeat some of the other tracks are.

Tetrisphere: Snowy Mushrooms

I haven't even played much Tetrisphere because I suck at Puzzle games and it is quite unconventional. I still find myself listening to this one. I can't even describe it. Just grab a bowl of cereal and take listen. It's so bizarre but I absolutley love it.

Edit: So I finally found out how to find this one in the game. There are actually Nine songs you can only get By entering a cheat at the name entry screen. You hold L,c-down, and c-right to change the Numbers to strange symbols. Then enter the name as "Gameboy" but replace the A with the alien head symbol. Then you can select them from the sound test menu... It's criminal that this was hidden behind a cheat code. Now I can just leave my n64 on and keep it looping.

DRx. Mario 64: Cubed

Featuring backup singer Kazooie! Is that stretching it a bit? Whatever, in my heart it will always be her. This one is the reason I choose to play Dr. Mario 64 to the NES version. It has a kinda Earthbound vibe to it that I absolutely love.

So that it for this post. I may come back later with more. I'll also say that the soundtracks from Robotron 64 and Mickey Speedway are both good, but only when you have gameplay backing it up.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 3 2016, 05:28 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
Playing it yesterday, I realized that Rush 2049's soundtrack is amazing. It makes the game that much more enjoyable. I never appreciated it back in the day.

heavyxfriends
Member Avatar
Established Member
Disco_Stu
Aug 4 2016, 06:03 AM
I totally love the Buck Bumble theme:

But there are tons of games with great soundtracks on the N64

Always loved this, has proto-drum n bass sound to it. Such a weird game!

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku: Sunny Fortress

There is a reason this soundtrack is underrated. It's because the game was never released in ntsc or pal regions. Presumably because the board game was only popular in Japan. Anyone who has played the n64 Goemon games can vouch for how killer the soundtracks are. This game features many remixes of tunes from Mystical Ninja 1 and 2 and they are all great. Now if I could just figure out how to actually play the game.

Space Station Silicon Valley: Snow Joke

Jungle Doldrums

Is two from the same game cheating? I just couldn't pick one. Here's a better question. Is the soundtrack of Space Station Silicon Valley underrated? I mean, everyone who plays the game loves it. I suppose I just feel the game itself isn't talked about as much as it probably should be, although that's slowly changing. Anyway, is that an Organ? Whatever it is, combined with that deep bass gives the soundtrack a unique vibe. I personally rank it at the same level as most of Nintendo's soundtracks. (Although RareWare and the Zelda's are stiff competition)

Edit: I actually like this format better. I think it would have been better to make each post about one game, then post several tracks to present a more thorough range of the games score, because one track just doesn't do Chameleon Twist 2 or Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku justice. Ah well live and learn.

Shadowgate 64: Sewers

This one is stretching it a bit but hear me out. The music in Shadowgate isn't necessarily good on its own, but it creates a certain atmosphere for the game. Castlevania 64 goes for this approach as well. I personally would have lost my mind if Shadowgate didn't have this music. Quick shout out to Resident Evil 2 which also has a very atmospheric soundtrack.

Special mention to the soundtrack of Blues Brothers 2000. The reason I say special is because the songs are just extremly shortened and looped versions of actual Blues Brothers songs with virtually no lyrics. So technically the soundtrack is terrible, but the songs that they are based on are excellent. The game will make you either love or hate Cheaper to Keep Her.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 5 2016, 08:38 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Mantis128
Member Avatar
Established Member
Everything from Snowboard Kids. Probably the most melodious OST on the 64.
https://twitter.com/Mantis128
http://ask.fm/Mantis128

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Mantis128
Sep 13 2016, 11:22 PM
Everything from Snowboard Kids. Probably the most melodious OST on the 64.
Big Snowman, Night Highway and Grass..Valley was it?
Those were my favourite music from that game.
Oh! And the shop/board select music!

EDIT:
And now that I remember and have been playing through Turok: Dinosaur Hunter I've rediscovered how great that music is!
Not a hell of a lot of variety, but bloody hell those driving drumming beats set the atmosphere and get you right in the mood!
And the underwater music.
Edited by D.J Cat, Sep 14 2016, 07:07 AM.

RLJA42
The ambient, chill-wave-esque themes from the first world of Glover captivate me. Especially the one from World 1-3. Can't get enough. I think that whole game had unique, under-appreciated music.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Glover has some very Zen music. It's what I like best about that game. Oddly I only really remember the earlier level music and not the later ones.

My I was a naive child posting in this thread at first. I actually did figure out how to play Goemon Sugoroku. So many good soundtracks. Let me tell you, people will have you believe Rakuga Kids best aspect is it's art, but I argue it's actually the music. Yakouchuu 2 has incredible music, and I forever have the Saikyo Habu Shogi theme stuck in my head.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Join the millions that use us for their forum communities. Create your own forum today.
Learn More · Sign-up Now
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply