Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Underrated N64 music; The music that does not get enough love
Topic Started: Jul 21 2016, 09:00 AM (1,206 Views)
Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Vaettur
Jul 22 2016, 01:41 AM

Also, Edo Castle from the second Goemon game always pumped me up. Very grooving!

Goemon's Great Adventure is just underrated in general. The theme I always get stuck in my head is Favor, which is the one that plays when you do some of the finding things mini games.

But the entire soundtrack for the game is fantastic.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 5 2016, 01:13 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Chameleon Twist 2: Great Edo Land

This track picks up at the 30 second mark. This whole game gives off a bomberman vibe, including the soundtrack, and this song also has a little Mystical Ninja quality to it. Unfortunately reviewers at the time ripped this games music apart. :angry: Bastards! The whole lot of 'em! I guess they didn't like how upbeat some of the other tracks are.

Tetrisphere: Snowy Mushrooms

I haven't even played much Tetrisphere because I suck at Puzzle games and it is quite unconventional. I still find myself listening to this one. I can't even describe it. Just grab a bowl of cereal and take listen. It's so bizarre but I absolutley love it.

Edit: So I finally found out how to find this one in the game. There are actually Nine songs you can only get By entering a cheat at the name entry screen. You hold L,c-down, and c-right to change the Numbers to strange symbols. Then enter the name as "Gameboy" but replace the A with the alien head symbol. Then you can select them from the sound test menu... It's criminal that this was hidden behind a cheat code. Now I can just leave my n64 on and keep it looping.

DRx. Mario 64: Cubed

Featuring backup singer Kazooie! Is that stretching it a bit? Whatever, in my heart it will always be her. This one is the reason I choose to play Dr. Mario 64 to the NES version. It has a kinda Earthbound vibe to it that I absolutely love.

So that it for this post. I may come back later with more. I'll also say that the soundtracks from Robotron 64 and Mickey Speedway are both good, but only when you have gameplay backing it up.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 3 2016, 05:28 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku: Sunny Fortress

There is a reason this soundtrack is underrated. It's because the game was never released in ntsc or pal regions. Presumably because the board game was only popular in Japan. Anyone who has played the n64 Goemon games can vouch for how killer the soundtracks are. This game features many remixes of tunes from Mystical Ninja 1 and 2 and they are all great. Now if I could just figure out how to actually play the game.

Space Station Silicon Valley: Snow Joke

Jungle Doldrums

Is two from the same game cheating? I just couldn't pick one. Here's a better question. Is the soundtrack of Space Station Silicon Valley underrated? I mean, everyone who plays the game loves it. I suppose I just feel the game itself isn't talked about as much as it probably should be, although that's slowly changing. Anyway, is that an Organ? Whatever it is, combined with that deep bass gives the soundtrack a unique vibe. I personally rank it at the same level as most of Nintendo's soundtracks. (Although RareWare and the Zelda's are stiff competition)

Edit: I actually like this format better. I think it would have been better to make each post about one game, then post several tracks to present a more thorough range of the games score, because one track just doesn't do Chameleon Twist 2 or Goemon Mononoke Sugoroku justice. Ah well live and learn.

Shadowgate 64: Sewers

This one is stretching it a bit but hear me out. The music in Shadowgate isn't necessarily good on its own, but it creates a certain atmosphere for the game. Castlevania 64 goes for this approach as well. I personally would have lost my mind if Shadowgate didn't have this music. Quick shout out to Resident Evil 2 which also has a very atmospheric soundtrack.

Special mention to the soundtrack of Blues Brothers 2000. The reason I say special is because the songs are just extremly shortened and looped versions of actual Blues Brothers songs with virtually no lyrics. So technically the soundtrack is terrible, but the songs that they are based on are excellent. The game will make you either love or hate Cheaper to Keep Her.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 5 2016, 08:38 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Glover has some very Zen music. It's what I like best about that game. Oddly I only really remember the earlier level music and not the later ones.

My I was a naive child posting in this thread at first. I actually did figure out how to play Goemon Sugoroku. So many good soundtracks. Let me tell you, people will have you believe Rakuga Kids best aspect is it's art, but I argue it's actually the music. Yakouchuu 2 has incredible music, and I forever have the Saikyo Habu Shogi theme stuck in my head.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply