Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
PlayStation 2 discussion
Topic Started: Jul 26 2016, 07:59 PM (919 Views)
videogamefiles
Had a quick search and couldn't find a PS2 discussion thread so here we are!

Behind the N64 (obviously) the PS2 is my 2nd favourite console. There's such a great variety of games on it and significantly better ratio of great-to-crap games than the PS1 had.

A few of my favourite PS2 titles:
Final Fantasy X, X-2 and XII (X is my favourite FF game)
Rugby 08 (my favourite sports game ever)
Tekken Tag Tournament
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance (my favourite fighting game ever) and Deception
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
LMA Manager 2007
Cricket 07
FIFA 2004
Red Faction

I love sports games. I think the PS2 had a game for pretty much every sport. I even have a Gaelic Football game for it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

CobraMJD
Member Avatar
Ex-Soldier 1st Class
PS2 probably has the best game library of all, seriously. But of course my heart will always be with Snes.

I can't write a short list of incredible game the PS2 has. I still have a ton of games I have to play from it, and many I'm playing on PS3 or I will on PS4.

Many increible series was exclusive on PS1 & PS2 era, but lost now, same thing happened with Snes which had the best game of his time.
Edited by CobraMJD, Jul 27 2016, 03:34 AM.
Posted Image
:n64: Posted Image: 3/296
:n64: Posted Image: 30/198
:n64: Posted Image: 2/???

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
The PS2 was an amazing system. I had a good library of games, and many of them were top notch titles. Thankfully I still have mine, and all but a couple of my games. The GTA series, the Hitman series, Gun, Bully, Snake Eater, Timesplitters, Tenchu, Bully, and Shadow of the Colossus come to mind for me.

I remember when I was a senior is high school when it came out. Such a good time in my life. It also being a dvd player was pretty awesome for that time as well :yeah:

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I loved the PS2 back in the day, went through at least 3 of them due to the dodgy CD lens though.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

CobraMJD
Member Avatar
Ex-Soldier 1st Class
buddy1983
Jul 27 2016, 06:31 AM
I loved the PS2 back in the day, went through at least 3 of them due to the dodgy CD lens though.
Yeah me too!

Sadly I got a first model pre-owed 'cause as expensive SCPH-30001, with heating problem and week lens, then got it in exchange a 50001 model and this was great last 'till last year I think, but sadly died, but the CD lens it is perfect, another thhing happened cause it doesnt turn on properly anymore, then last year I bought a slim ver. :-/

Couldn't live without a working PS2, my last died during a FFXII gameplay which I still didn't beat!
Posted Image

videogamefiles
I've been lucky enough to still have my first PS2. That been said, it's backwards compatibility is pretty much shot now. It very rarely plays any of my PS1 games any more.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I brought it near release and on lay away so ended up costing me a fortune and was paying for it long after it had died and I'd brought a replacement lol
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

videogamefiles
Oh man, that does suck.

It definitely seems to me that CD based consoles vastly increased hardware failure rates. I've lost a Gamecube and a Dreamcast because of it. My N64 is still going strong though despite a huge crack on the grill and cartridge slot from where I dropped a mug on it though. Good old cart systems!

On the PS2 games I can't believe I forgot MGS2. Cracking game. I thought the original was good but the were too many niggley little flaws. Sons of Liberty fixed them even if the trade off was Raiden D:

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
PS2 was a great system. Many fond memories of that. Mine eventually died and I sold everything I had. Died from excessive playing but at the end of the PS2 life pretty much and we had a GC and Xbox to soften the blow.

I have picked up some of the games for either Xbox or GameCube which are not exclusives like GTAs, Rocky, the 007 games and the like. I used to play all the Pro Evo and FIFA football games each year with my brother and friends. So much fun. Now they wouldn't be as much though so not picked those up just good memories on those. I think I have FIFA 2003 and FIFA 2002 World Cup on the GameCube which came in a bundle though.

As said by Stinger, it was our DVD player as well because we didn't have one for ages and this was awesome.

It has an insanely huge library which makes it a tricky but also interesting one to collect for. Games are still dirty cheap in many cases though so not a bad time to collect.
Edited by Milage007, Jul 27 2016, 12:28 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Karsty5
Member Avatar
The GCN guy
I personally have never played a PS2, but there must be some games in it's huge library that I would like! Thinking of getting one just for Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7OLL-vIfr4bMQhasZ6a1A - My YouTube Channel
Posted Image

videogamefiles
Karsty5
Jul 27 2016, 03:16 PM
I personally have never played a PS2, but there must be some games in it's huge library that I would like! Thinking of getting one just for Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2.
Certainly can't go wrong with one. The consoles are pretty cheap these days as are a vast amount of the games. Pretty much every genre is covered too.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
The PS2 is my second favorite console of all time and it could almost top my list as it is backwards compatible with my top console, the original PlayStation. It had some amazing games including my second all time favorite game, Shadow of the Colossus, but also a lot of overlooked gems like Downhill Domination, Dog's Life, Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction and so many more. And of course there are the stalwarts of the system like the Metal Gear Solid games, the Grand Theft Auto series, God of Wars, Kingdom Hearts, the Final Fantasy games (and a ton of other great JRPGs) and the list goes on and on. While the PS1 came along at such an opportune time for me to live it up and game all day, the PS2 came along when I had to be a little bit more of an adult and therefore it was my escape and I leaned on it quite a bit for about 8 years. Yeah, I'm a PS2 fan, for sure. :yeah:
Edited by The Red Shadow, Jul 27 2016, 06:42 PM.

Cabanon
Elite
I picked up a new unit in 2004 I Think when I sold one of my car but had to sell to pick up a 1st model ps3 with backward capability. fast forward to 2012 I think, I bought a used slim unit for 30$ with couple of games and guitar then 6 months later, I picked up a brand new silver slim unit for 50$. So in case the one im using right now gets broken, I have a backup unit that is minty fresh.

NFS Series was at it's best. Underground 2 being the one I played the most (need to redo it)
Guitar Hero was the game that made me buy a ps2, before that I despised Sony (lol)
DDR was also a no-brainer for my wife & I, we started to play again since we have our home now and don't bother neighours hehe

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Man, great thread and reading your stories brings back memories. I have a lot of good feelings about the PS2, but I hate writing on my phone....

For now, I'll just say that I bought it for GranTourismo 3, and Final Fantasy X became one of my favorite games of all time.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
veteran of the psychic wars
The PlayStation 2 may as well be my favorite console of all time, maybe next to the N64, which I have limited experience with although love. As Milage said, it had a solid library and it's library has everything to appeal to everyone.
Posted Image
Posted Image

CobraMJD
Member Avatar
Ex-Soldier 1st Class
In each post a new set of great game has been cited, just to prove the great library PS2 had.

Just to complement, I used to play a lot of Winning Eleven, Soul Calibur, Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Silent Hill, and many many others, along with the others already cited.

But for a different less know and great game, I recommend you all to see a little game related to that N64 racing game Penny Racers, it is called on PS2 as Road Trip (Road Trip Advevnture in Europe) or ChoroQ HG2 in Japan.

It is not a normal racing game, you drive freely on a open world visiting cities, talking with others mini-cars, entering in races, collection items, doing missions, etc, almost a RPG. It is great, a love that game.

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

The car's radio only has 4 musics sadly, but it is really enjoying travelling. See the video.
Posted Image

videogamefiles
That does sound like good fun. I do enjoy a good racing game although I haven't played any of the ChoroQ/Penny Racers series.

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
I had my first PS2 nearly eleven years before I sold it. Finally got a Phat again this year and I won't be selling it. :)

I had a blast with Jak and Daxter, Battlefront II, Gran Turismo 3. This go round I've been enjoying Code Veronica X among other games.

Cabanon
Elite
CobraMJD
Jul 28 2016, 12:26 AM
Spoiler: click to toggle
looks like NFS is. open world racing.

CobraMJD
Member Avatar
Ex-Soldier 1st Class
Cabanon
Jul 28 2016, 10:32 AM
looks like NFS is. open world racing.
Well to be fair, Road Trip as released before NFS go Open World, but nah, the similarity ends here, the game itself is nothing like it. (I love they did it, the first NFS Open World was very simple and short, but the HP for PS3 it's very cool, I spent hours "just driving").

I wished at least the controls could be more like NFS, but Road Trip has more elements to be a RPG, you literaly touch another car on the streets then talks with them. X_D
Edited by CobraMJD, Jul 28 2016, 11:07 AM.
Posted Image

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I've already been looking at eBay for copies of Road Trip. Looks super fun. Thanks for the recommendation, CobraMJD!

I'm always looking for great new titles to add to my PS2 library. I have nearly 330 titles which is the largest of my total collection.
Edited by The Red Shadow, Jul 28 2016, 12:29 PM.

CobraMJD
Member Avatar
Ex-Soldier 1st Class
The Red Shadow
Jul 28 2016, 12:21 PM
I've already been looking at eBay for copies of Road Trip. Looks super fun. Thanks for the recommendation, CobraMJD!

I'm always looking for great new titles to add to my PS2 library. I have nearly 330 titles which is the largest of my total collection.
Awesome! 330+ PS2 games! That's incredible!

Its a shame that the majority of ChoroQ games didn't receive a english release, and some like that one its not that fun if you can't read some text.
I hope you cand find it, but it seems not easy to do, its much more common the N64 Penny Racers.

I always tried to find the game before Road Trip, it is Gadget Racers in US and (again) Penny Racers in EU, according to wikipedia, but never got luck. Idk if this is it only racing or is Rpg-like.
Wow I just found out, that they relased a more recent version in english, I played these a so long time that I didn't know.
Just to unerstand, Road Trip is ChoroQ HG2, and they released the ChoroQ HG4 as (finally) ChoroQ !!! For the first time the true name. I must get this. ^_^
Posted Image
Edited by CobraMJD, Jul 28 2016, 12:55 PM.
Posted Image

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
I had a GameCube and my younger brother owned an Xbox, so the only times we got to play a PS2 were whenever we visited friends (they all had a PS2). I remember giving the system crap for not having four controller ports and... yeah that's still a pretty big con since no one I knew bought the multi-tap, but the library of games for the system is ridiculous with new games still coming out well into the 7th gen of gaming. I finally got my own PS2 a few years back and have had a blast with it ever since. Favorite system? Nah. It's not even my favorite system of the 6th generation (viva la GameCube!), but it truly is an essential game system for all gamers.

And now, my favorite games (out of my personal collection):
- Tekken Tag Tournament
- Resident Evil Code: Veronica X
- Jak 2
- Timesplitters: Future Perfect
- God of War
- Ape Escape 2
- Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution
- Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero
- Dark Cloud (one of the best action-RPGs I've ever played)
- Silent Hill 2
- Kingdom Hearts 2
- Soul Reaver 2
- Star Wars Battlefront II
- WWE Smackdown vs. RAW 2006
- Ace Combat 04: Shattered Skies
- 4/7th of Mega Man X Collection (Mega Man X-X4)

I may have missed some and I also tried using the "one per franchise" rule for most of these to keep this list from being longer than it already is, but these are the games that came to mind.
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
CobraMJD
Jul 28 2016, 12:39 PM
The Red Shadow
Jul 28 2016, 12:21 PM

Awesome! 330+ PS2 games! That's incredible!

Its a shame that the majority of ChoroQ games didn't receive a english release, and some like that one its not that fun if you can't read some text.
I hope you cand find it, but it seems not easy to do, its much more common the N64 Penny Racers.

I always tried to find the game before Road Trip, it is Gadget Racers in US and (again) Penny Racers in EU, according to wikipedia, but never got luck. Idk if this is it only racing or is Rpg-like.
Wow I just found out, that they relased a more recent version in english, I played these a so long time that I didn't know.
Just to unerstand, Road Trip is ChoroQ HG2, and they released the ChoroQ HG4 as (finally) ChoroQ !!! For the first time the true name. I must get this. ^_^
Posted Image
im lost. which version should we look for ? lol

CobraMJD
Member Avatar
Ex-Soldier 1st Class
@Cabanon, the last was a new discovery for me. My recommendation is these below, depending in which region you are.

North America
Posted Image

Europe
Posted Image

Japan
Posted Image

All these names is really confusing.

@EnvyFox,
Thats why I always had a MultiTap adapter, for Snes to play ISS Deluxe, Top Gear 3000 and NBA Jam, on PS1 I had too but played only a few, and PS2 Urban Reign, Winning Eleven, NBA Street, NBA Ballers and probably some others I dont remember anymore, but of course is not like Nintendo who does a lot of multiplayer games.
Posted Image

videogamefiles
Next time I head into CEX I shall keep an eye out for Road Trip, looks nifty.

Trying to complete my PS2 UK launch collection. There were bucket loads of launch games but already have quite. Most of the big names anyway like Tekken Tag Tournament, Timesplitters, SSX, Ridge Racer V, etc. Can't remember all the ones I'm missing off the top of my head but I know I need Dynasty Warriors 2 and Orphan. Gradius III & IV as well. Strangely that's the only launch game that'll set you back more than a tenner. Shows the great value for money a PS2 is these days.

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
The whole reason I got a PS2 was for Gran Turismo 3. I loved that game and still think about it often. It is the only sim racer game I've gotten 100% on and it took forever. Man I was so competitive with that game.

Another fun one that my friends and I enjoyed was Smugglers Run 2. We always did the open world and turned it into tag. Good times.

Sadly when I joined the military in 2004 I let a friend borrow it and it died. I have no clue what happened to it or the games though. I would really like to have the memory card with my GT3 save file though.

videogamefiles
Been really tempted to bang the original Smuggler's Run on when I get back off holiday. Cracking little game.

Bought three PS2 games from CEX in Skegg Vegas yesterday:
Dynasty Warriors 2
Sky Odyssey
Star Wars: Starfighter
Total cost: £2! Awesome!

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
The PS2 is a superb console (my favourite after 1. the N64, and 2. the original XBox) with an amazing game library. No matter how many PS2 games you have, there always seem to be more games on there that you'd like, and it also has many great ports of PC games to it's name (such as Deus Ex, my favourite PC and PS2 game).

But if you're using a PS2, then you really, really should play the games from the a hard drive. If you want to know more, see my post at:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/single/?p=8126673&t=7371524

But bear in mind that that was post made two and a half years ago, and so things might be even better or more advanced now. I've not bothered updating my setup, as it works, but I now that now you can even boot directly from the hard drive instead of a memory card.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Even though I've been putting off the ps2 in favor of other consoles lately, notably one :n64: particular, the ps2 was the console I primarily grew up with along with Gamecube. Great thing is that there are a seemingly endless amount of hidden gems that can still be purchased for next to nothing.

I played Rayman 2 about a month ago and had a few major deja vu moments and realized that one of my favorite childhood games took inspiration from it. I'm not the only on who noticed this either as the original gamespot review of the game mentions the similarities as well. That game is a 3d platform-adventure game called Kya Dark Lineage.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Kya was created using the same engine as the racing series V-Rally and by many of the same staff members, the first installment of which was released on the n64. Eden also published the infamously bad Alone in the Dark 2008, but don't worry this game is 30,000 leagues above that game. I assume a different team was responsible for that mess, or maybe Atari just isn't a very good publisher.

You wanna know why I know about this game. My mom bought it because the main character is female. That's literally it. When the conversation of "Strong female characters" in games comes up my mind always goes to Kya, even though if I mentioned her no one would know what I'm talking about. Not that i would ever try to enter an online conversation about that topic, but she is an OK character who can hold her own in a tough situation. She quite literally -

Posted Image
Kya is a cool name and I wonder if this is the only reason they chose the name.

Anyway, the Rayman 2 similarities are that they are both very European from the artstyle down to the voice acting. The levels themselves are very linear, use wind for hovering, and have similar vine climbing mechanics. Kya uses wind a lot more though and has a hub world. There are something close to 7 main worlds in Kya and can do most of the worlds in any order you want which is nice, but certain areas are harder without late game equipment. The goal of each world is to reach a rune stone somewhere in the world. So the game isn't a collectathon really but you can find nooties, which are a funny name for money, and green orbs to unlock wind tunnels that teleport you between the smaller sections of each world and the hub(that dome on the left), restore health at amber rocks (that orange rock), open doors to major new areas, and exercising wolfen which are the game's main enemies.

Posted Image

The hub area is called Nativ City and it grows throughout the game. You can purchase necessary abilities like wall climbing gloves and new boomerangs etc. Kya's Boomy is mostly used for puzzles and can be uses to hit switches, bombs, distract enemies amoungst other things. A slight spoiler from near the beginning of e game is that nativs are being transformed into wolfen, which is why the population is so low and there are no shopkeepers. Kya isn't very collectable focused though the enemies you fight are required to grow the hub world and progress the game. There are a finite number of enemies by the way. No infinite enemies or grinding here. The map in the hub area even tells you how many natives are needed before new shops open.

Wind is a far bigger mechanic here than in any There is a lot of free falling in this game like that 1 tunnel in Rayman 2. Here there is fall damage though so you have to dodge hazards on the way down and land in safe spots so you don't die on what I consider hilarious fashion. There are many sections where you use wind to navigate larger area. you can swim up and down through it. It can also press you against walls which is used for climbing, navigation, or stealth.

Posted Image
Not the best screenshots but all I've got to work with is stuff from 2003. Just look it up if it's interesting at all.

This game has quite a lot of stealth to as certain enemies will ruin you if you don't get close enough to get the first strike on them. You've got a punch button, kick button, a jump, and a grab. Combos are all just diffrent chains of those few moves and some directional input. You can even use the environment as slamming enemies into walls make them easier to combo and knocking them off high walkways is a great strategy for dealing massive damage. As you defeat enemies and exercise them, the hub world will build new shops and you can buy new items, including braclets to learn new fighting moves.

I found these 2 making of videos very cool, the view total of which doesn't even reach 1000 views. Part 2 shows of more of the gameplay while part 1 is primarily the art and the aspirations of the team.

Part 1

Part 2

It got pretty good reviews online at the time but unfortunately didn't do well and, spoiler alert, the ending teases a sequel that never came. I have owned 3 copies over the course of my life though I haven't seen it much in recent game store hunts. Maybe it was more popular in Europe? You can easily get it on eBay for less than $10 though so it's not a hard game to aquire and it's got a lot of great qualities. I like it a lot more than Rayman 2 but I'm biased of course since I played this one over a decade earlier. I do wonder how someone who played Rayman 2 first would feel about this game.

If anyone decides to play it or has played it in the past let me know what you think. I'd definitely recommend it to fans of Rayman 2 or just playstation platformers in general. I know an n64 forum isn't the best place to preach about an obscure ps2 game but . . . but . . . I've got nothing. I'd rather babble here than anywhere else. There's my excuse. Something must have have really triggered some Kya memories in me today because this is one of the longest posts I've ever made.

500 !
Edited by Shellshocker18, May 31 2017, 07:21 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: