Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion; August Game of the Month
Topic Started: Aug 3 2016, 06:04 AM (642 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Turok 3 is our winner. I played it ages ago. One of my friends had it and all the Turok games. I enjoyed it, but I was deterred from buying any of them. The controls gave me trouble :lol: I lacked the patience to adjust from Goldeneye.

** Also we are changing formats on Game of the Month to give the winner more time as the center of attention. The nomination topic will now be waiting to debut until about the 10th or so of the month ** Be thinking :yeah:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Legend64
Member Avatar
Established Member
Sweet!
My (N64) Collection

43 Loose N64 Cartridges

2 Complete In Box N64 Games

1 Original Grey N64 Console

2 Original 1st party Nintendo N64 Controllers

2 3rd party Memory cards

1 3rd party rumble pack

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Cool glad this won. Going to make this the next game I play, I was waiting until I finished Turok 2 but the constant memory corrupt issue I have means that will never happen.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
Turok 3 is largely a great game. Interesting weapons, level designs and environments, situations, boss fights, and enemies. It's a long and very enjoyable (mostly) journey of a game, and the fact that there are two slightly different ways to play it (since you choose from two characters at the start of the game, which gives you different weapon upgrades and slightly different ways through the levels) adds to the replayability. It also has very good graphics and sound.

Plus the four player multiplayer is a lot of fun, with many configurable options, forty-eight (I think?) multiplayer levels, and computer controlled bots to play against.

On the minus side, the game tries to be like Half-Life but fails to even approach that game's story or feeling or immersion. Also, some earlier enemies can seemingly see through and shoot through walls (which I think is a but rather than a deliberate design choice), some of the levels seem contrived rather than realistic, some of the multiplayer levels are not too good, and the bots in the multiplayer aren't very intelligent (but they are OK, and much better than having no bots at all).

All in all, it's well worth playing, and it's a shame that so few people seem to have played it. It came out after Perfect Dark, and Turok 3 isn't nearly as good as PD (but then, what game is?), so it seems to have been overlooked by the majority of N64 fans.

swaaye
Established Member
My guess for why Turok 3 didn't sell was limp wristed advertising efforts. Acclaim didn't sell it. Maybe nobody wanted more Turok after Turok 2. I certainly didn't because I basically despised Turok 2. :) It was also well into the death dive times of N64 software popularity.

I agree T3 is a good game. One of the most ambitious N64 shooters. It's probably the least annoying Turok game on N64, with its improved save system.
Edited by swaaye, Aug 3 2016, 12:46 PM.

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Never played Turok 3 but it looks alright. I can definitely relate to that bloody memory card issue Buddy used to be a nightmare for me back in the day playing Turok 2 as I had a black third party memory card so was always corrupt.

Fortunately the below cheat saved my life and let me enjoy the game in its entirety. That said, I would love to come back and try complete Turok 2 legitimately.

Spoiler: click to toggle

Thead whore alert. Looking forward to the new game of the month format. Titles definitely deserve the limelight a bit longer.

:yeah:
Edited by Milage007, Aug 3 2016, 01:46 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
stinger9142
Aug 3 2016, 06:04 AM
Turok 3 is our winner. I played it ages ago. One of my friends had it and all the Turok games. I enjoyed it, but I was deterred from buying any of them. The controls gave me trouble :lol: I lacked the patience to adjust from Goldeneye.
I thought that Turok 3 gave you a range of control options, including Goldeneye style? I always use Turok style in any N64 FPS, so I had no problems with any of the Turok games, personally.

Regarding Turok 2, I could never understand why it had to use so much of the controller pak's space to save. 90 pages! At least Turok 3 uses only 16 pages.

Edit: There's a list of game save requirements per game at:

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7041206/1/#new
Edited by Kerr Avon, Aug 3 2016, 03:51 PM.

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
I've never really played any of the Turok games. My best friend had them and was really into them but whenever we got together the we only played Goldeneye or MK64. I will have to add this to my ever growing list.
Edited by sublime1996525, Aug 5 2016, 02:52 PM.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
@Milage007, the weird thing is it happened across genuine and 3rd party memory cards and even still happens today. I have used multiple m/ cards and carts and it always happens, I'm very careful to use the m/ card as instructed and I dont even take it out to fit the rumble pak. Strange but hopefully wont happen with Turok 3.
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

Kerr Avon
Member Avatar
sublime1996525
Aug 3 2016, 10:46 PM
I've never really played any of the Turok games. My best friend had them and was really into them but whenever we got together the only FPS we played was MK64. I will have to add this to my ever growing list.
There is no N64 FPS with the initials MK64 (or just MK). Do you mean the kart racer Mario Kart 64, or the fighting game Mortal Kombat?

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
I'm in a very deep Perfect Dark full immersion this month, so probably not the best time to talk about Turok 3: SoO :-P

The game is, at the same time, overrated and underrated. It sold badly, so relatively few people know it (while millions of gamers know Turok: DH and Turok 2).
I have read often enthusiastic opinions about it, for instance Glenn Plant in his review showed a great love for it. He also said (in his Top Five N64 FPS charts) that T3 has the best N64 graphics... this is obviously not true, it's not even a top 20 graphics if we want to be objective.

By the way, I also have read people who despised the game, considering unplayable, a sort of very bad game.

Like it or not, T3 is a good game. Graphically is very good, the draw distance is impressive, the Turok fog is disappeared. All is very clean and smooth, even if I read about people who had problems with the frame rate. This is pretty odd, because the frame rate is considerably better than Turok 2 and I never had issues. Probably I played the game in low-rez, maybe in high resolution it has issues (but I often read that the frame rate is good even in Hi-Rez).
By the way, Turok 2 textures and animations are better, and it was two years older...
Turok 3 graphic looks a late '90s PC game, visually it hasn't personality (but the bosses design is top notch stuff).
Turok 2 graphics is more foggy and it suffers more frame rate issues, but it's overall better.

The OST...someone liked, personally I didn't catch not even a track, and I played for more than 30 hours. Recently I even listened the whole OST multiple times for my Top 1000 N64 Musics thread, and I managed to find just a couple of nice moments, nothing special. Turok 2 OST was so epic.

Gameplay is not original at all, it has a bit of the previous Turok, a bit of Half Life, the two players with different abilities was a bit RE2, and so on.

The sad thing is that Turok 2 was a good rival of Goldeneye 007, while Perfect Dark is light years better than Turok 3. In every single aspect Perfect Dark humiliates Turok 3, the two games aren't comparable.

So, even if Turok 3 is a good (but unoriginal) game, capable of give you some nice challenging moments, its release time, mixed with the PD existence, buried it in the "just a good and less know game" league.
Edited by italia64, Aug 5 2016, 06:22 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Nice summary
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

breeding_fear
Member Avatar
Established Member
I won't write a lot because italia64 said all you need to know! :P

I m happy that Turok 3 exists but i am not happy compared to Turok 2..
Back in the days, i spent so many hours playing the first two Turok games. I wanted to find every little secret in those amazing huge worlds.
I m a big Turok fan.. played these games a lot more than GoldenEye..

In early 2000 i remember myself stop playing N64.. the games were also pretty expensive..
I saw some Turok 3 screenshots on magazines but it was a period that i was done with videogames..
I m not sure that T3 got an official release in my country..

I didn't stop thinking about it though.. It was 2005 or 2006 when i finally decided to buy it from ebay UK.
I was really happy but the game wasn't the epic adventure i was waiting for.. A big letdown compared to T2..
Small worlds, weird design, glitches, not amazing soundtrack..
I m happy that Acclaim released it but i think they did a terrible job.. things got worse with the release of PD..

I think you should play the game and decide on your own if it's good or bad.
For me T3 was the reason to return on buying and playing games on my N64.
I would love it to be a T2 and PD beater but that's the way it is!

Turok rocks :yeah:
Edited by breeding_fear, Aug 5 2016, 10:57 AM.
:n64: EUR PAL Games: 111/239

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Interesting reviews guys. I'll have to try pick this up at some point I would like to play it.

Totally agree Italia, Turok 2 OST was brilliant. Nailed it.

@Buddy - No way I didn't realise the official ones corrupt easily as well. I've never had any corruption issues with official ones. Though that said I haven't played games to death using them though either... :huh:
Edited by Milage007, Aug 5 2016, 11:44 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

sublime1996525
Member Avatar
That dude
Kerr Avon
Aug 4 2016, 03:00 PM
sublime1996525
Aug 3 2016, 10:46 PM
I've never really played any of the Turok games. My best friend had them and was really into them but whenever we got together the only FPS we played was MK64. I will have to add this to my ever growing list.
There is no N64 FPS with the initials MK64 (or just MK). Do you mean the kart racer Mario Kart 64, or the fighting game Mortal Kombat?
Oops lol. Changed what I was trying to say.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
@Milage007 only had it happen when playing Turok 2 though, its really weird.

I started Turok 3 over the weekend and completed around 1/3 of it, my first impressions are Meh its ok. Its not the worst game I've played but I really prefer #2, it just doesn't feel the same to me. Who knows another 2/3 to go so may turn out to be a world beater.
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
that would be a great time to finally play it. I've beaten Turok 1 many many times, Turok 2 only once but never played T3 nor T:RW. Dunno why.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Quite far into this now, playing through the final chapter. I would say this game is equal parts great and frustrating, the controls and aiming really do make it hard to play at times. I think the developers knew this because there are health kits everywhere :lol: The bosses (so far) have been really easy if you can strafe and shot at the same time as its so easy to dodge their attacks.

OK so finished the game, turned out to be longer than I thought and the number one piece of advice I can give is look for all the pieces of the PSG gun (there's 4) as it makes betting the second to last boss so much easier. Its next to impossible without it.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good game which I'm sure if I'd owned as I kid I would've loved. Playing through it now with no nostalgia with its laggy frame rate and difficult controls just makes it a good game to play through once but not as good as Turok 2. You should play it if you havent but play it on easy or normal to balance out the controls and aiming troubles.
Edited by buddy1983, Aug 13 2016, 12:14 PM.
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply