Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Turok 3: Shadow of Oblivion; August Game of the Month
Topic Started: Aug 3 2016, 06:04 AM (419 Views)
italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
I'm in a very deep Perfect Dark full immersion this month, so probably not the best time to talk about Turok 3: SoO :-P

The game is, at the same time, overrated and underrated. It sold badly, so relatively few people know it (while millions of gamers know Turok: DH and Turok 2).
I have read often enthusiastic opinions about it, for instance Glenn Plant in his review showed a great love for it. He also said (in his Top Five N64 FPS charts) that T3 has the best N64 graphics... this is obviously not true, it's not even a top 20 graphics if we want to be objective.

By the way, I also have read people who despised the game, considering unplayable, a sort of very bad game.

Like it or not, T3 is a good game. Graphically is very good, the draw distance is impressive, the Turok fog is disappeared. All is very clean and smooth, even if I read about people who had problems with the frame rate. This is pretty odd, because the frame rate is considerably better than Turok 2 and I never had issues. Probably I played the game in low-rez, maybe in high resolution it has issues (but I often read that the frame rate is good even in Hi-Rez).
By the way, Turok 2 textures and animations are better, and it was two years older...
Turok 3 graphic looks a late '90s PC game, visually it hasn't personality (but the bosses design is top notch stuff).
Turok 2 graphics is more foggy and it suffers more frame rate issues, but it's overall better.

The OST...someone liked, personally I didn't catch not even a track, and I played for more than 30 hours. Recently I even listened the whole OST multiple times for my Top 1000 N64 Musics thread, and I managed to find just a couple of nice moments, nothing special. Turok 2 OST was so epic.

Gameplay is not original at all, it has a bit of the previous Turok, a bit of Half Life, the two players with different abilities was a bit RE2, and so on.

The sad thing is that Turok 2 was a good rival of Goldeneye 007, while Perfect Dark is light years better than Turok 3. In every single aspect Perfect Dark humiliates Turok 3, the two games aren't comparable.

So, even if Turok 3 is a good (but unoriginal) game, capable of give you some nice challenging moments, its release time, mixed with the PD existence, buried it in the "just a good and less know game" league.
Edited by italia64, Aug 5 2016, 06:22 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply