Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Favorite extremely small details in games
Topic Started: Aug 26 2016, 06:18 PM (1,893 Views)
D.J Cat
Member Avatar
@mike: that level and boss are amazing.
Love some of his lines
"what's wrong, come a little bit closer!"
And the alternative ending is SO good complete with the subtle +50 and then silence and then the biggest explosion in the game 💥
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

LosTickaToeRest
Member Avatar
Yeah, as a kid I didn't know for the longest time there was an alternate ending to that stage (I had all the alternate paths figured out except that one because I could never find the switches - took reading about it in Nintendo Power to find out) but I came to hate that train driver so much because of how much trouble that stage used to give me. Making him plow into a munitions factory at full speed, screaming all the way, followed by the +50 and the little beat before the ridiculously large explosion, was so satisfying after years of getting killed by that smug jerk.
Posted Image

http://www.last.fm/user/DToxico

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Cabanon
Sep 30 2016, 12:28 PM
No64DD
Aug 31 2016, 04:48 PM
Shellshocker18
Aug 31 2016, 01:00 AM
Are the signs different in the Japanese version?
I don't have a JPN version to check, but i'd have to say they are all the same around the world.

If it were in japanese, the wording and sentence structure would be completely different, requiring a different graphic. It would be impossible to read.
But even the way it is written sounds like a japanese>english translation.
The best part is that i highly doubt it was ever meant to be "read" in the first place, but in a way, they didn't try to prevent someone from doing so. 🔬

Good question!
lemme check that tonight for you. I have both JAP version in hand.
Super Mario 64 Japanese version:

Posted Image

Thanks to Cabanon, i can safely say that it says the same thing!
I'm nearly convinced that the actual text is documented somewhere, whether it be in a strategy guide, manual, or magazine of either language! 🔎
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
No64DD
Oct 3 2016, 06:26 PM
Cabanon
Sep 30 2016, 12:28 PM
No64DD
Aug 31 2016, 04:48 PM

Quoting limited to 3 levels deepGood question!
lemme check that tonight for you. I have both JAP version in hand.
Super Mario 64 Japanese version:

Posted Image

Thanks to Cabanon, i can safely say that it says the same thing!
I'm nearly convinced that the actual text is documented somewhere, whether it be in a strategy guide, manual, or magazine of either language! 🔎
I have the Nintendo Power Super Mario 64 guide.
Might have to have a look.

Speaking of the secret star, it perplexed me as a kid, enough that I uploaded a pic of it back in 2006 on my photobucket 😆

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
D.J Cat
Oct 3 2016, 07:12 PM
Speaking of the secret star, it perplexed me as a kid, enough that I uploaded a pic of it back in 2006 on my photobucket 😆
Then a Secret star has been lying there for many years. :P
Edited by No64DD, Oct 6 2016, 09:29 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
So this is a bit loose but I think there is a slight nod to Body Harvest in Space Station Silicon Valley. In Borassic Park if you go to the tail end of the dinosaurs skeleton there appears to be a lower poly version of one of the flying insects from Body Harvest trapped in some amber.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry for the awful images. They don't look exactly the same but the similarities are impossible to ignore. Pincers below large eyes. The stinger. Four legs and a pair of wings. The thing that's weird is that it doesn't fit in with Space Station Silicon Valley. There are no non-robot animals on the space station so why would a bug be there? Is it made of plastic? It isn't used for an objective and no one ever mentions it so why else would it be there?

Both games were developed by DMA design and I'm pretty sure they were released on the same day here in North America, even though Body Harvest was in development way before. If this is a nod than it is a very cool one, implying that the two games may take place in the same universe.

*They came out within a month of each other, not on the same day. Not sure why I thought they did.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Oct 7 2016, 03:51 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image I only partially like some of you
Posted Image The award I will forever be most proud of

Jsboger
Member Avatar
Established Member
That's a cool find shell
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Excellent attention to detail!
Well spotted!

1080 Snowboarding 🏂.
When the wind makes the characters clothes rustle when you go off a big jump or go fast enough.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@Shellshocker,
Body Harvest took place in 2016.
Space Station: Silicon Valley- in the year 3000.
If you look at the dates that these games were set in; under the right conditions, it is scientifically possible for an insect to become fossilized in some stage of amber in that timeframe! :yeah:
Edited by No64DD, Oct 6 2016, 10:13 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
No64DD
Oct 6 2016, 09:50 AM
@Shellshocker,
If you look at the dates that these games were set in; under the right conditions, it is scientifically possible for an insect to become fossilized in amber in that timeframe! :yeah:
Yeah baby!

Not only good observation, but backing it up with science and more good observation!
Hot.

Ummm....
In Turok 2, When you throw the weapon the Razor Wind (basically a metallic circular saw like thing that you throw and returns like a boomerang) it comes back like normal if you don't hit anything.
If it connects it comes back covered in blood 😋

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
D.J Cat
Oct 6 2016, 10:12 AM
No64DD
@Shellshocker,
If you look at the dates that these games were set in; under the right conditions, it is scientifically possible for an insect to become fossilized in amber in that timeframe! :yeah:
Yeah baby!

Not only good observation, but backing it up with science and more good observation!
Hot.

Ummm....
In Turok 2, When you throw the weapon the Razor Wind (basically a metallic circular saw like thing that you throw and returns like a boomerang) it comes back like normal if you don't hit anything.
If it connects it comes back covered in blood 😋
Hahaha I totally forgot about this. I used to love chucking it through that big fat mother of a boss as well. Took like a gazillion different bullets, shots, arrows etc to kill the thing. Good times. I need to run through Turok 2 again it's been far far too long.
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'If you can't find somethin' to live for, you best find somethin' to die for.

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I love how it plays your saved ghost run on the title screen in 1080 after a few demos.

I used to purposely make a real cool "style run" and save that ghost just to watch it back later.
Would use the Crystal Border for coolest graphical effects 😎

Now it's my Golden Run in the Forest:
https://youtu.be/niEPPuKdnvk

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Since my last few contributions have been closer to what I'd call Easter Eggs, I'd like to post something that that I'd actually consider a detail.

(Feel free to keep posting whatever you want as long as it's neat. The thread title doesn't matter)

Space Station Silicon Valley gets credit for a lot of things namely being a pretty okay game. Something that fascinates me is that each of the animals has an actual skeleton that dynamically reacts to the environment to avoid their models clipping into the floors and walls.

To demonstrate here is a lion standing on flat ground,
Posted Image

Posted Image
And here it is standing slightly on a slope. As you can see it's lower back and legs aren't floating, they are sitting at a lower z-axis point on the slope.

Posted Image
Here's a more extreme example of how flexible they are.

Look at this rabbits feet trying not to clip into the ground. Meanwhile they aren't even attached to the actual model
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
Some of the animals even have them in their necks like this hippo.

The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker gets praise for this but Space Station Silicon Valley beat it by a couple of years.

This gamasutra article talks with some of the game's programmers and they say that they are pretty sure this is the first 3D console game to ever implement this skeleton system, amongst other things. Seriously this article is a neat read.

Part of the reason I love this detail is also because I believe it is the cause of several height gain glitches in the game which are useful in speedruns, which is totally rad :shades: . Also it's just neat to see something that's in almost all modern games today being displayed in a much more crude way in an old N64 game. One that's not even particularly high budget or well known at that.

Edit: so apparently this game has shooting stars... or maybe ufo's if you watch the sky long enough. They are big and blue, like 3 times the size of a normal star. I'm on Rocky Hard Place just listening to the music and I saw one fly by. Never seen it before and it was so quick I almost missed it. I might try and get a picture of it but it's been almost 30 minutes and I can't find it again. This games got me watching an imaginary sky now lol. Finally saw another one but it spawned at the top of the screen and since I can't look up I couldn't get a picture. I swear I'm seeing ufo's. I'm not crazy. I'll get a picture of one no matter how long it takes.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Oct 9 2016, 05:05 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
http://m.imgur.com/a/EkqoQ

I managed to capture almost 30 images of this UFO. Yes the images don't do it justice because I took them off my tv. As you can see it isn't a star because it is bright blue and since it moves in an S shape across the sky I'm calling it a UFO . In an hour and a half I only saw this thing 3 times. It appears to only spawn once each time you enter a level. If you have an hour to waste just go to Rocky Hard Place and see for yourself. I'm not sure if it appears in other levels but Rocky Hard Place is the easiest level to see the sky in.

These images were captured in the area across the collapsing wind bridge where the speaker is next to the tree. By the way the album is actually backwards. You can see a bit of how it changes direction if you look at it from bottom to top. This thing was only on screen for like 5 seconds though. Actually five is kinda stretching it.

I just wanted to document that this was a thing that exists in case anyone cares about fictional ufo's. I'll stop spamming my own thread with Silicon Valley stuff now.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Oct 9 2016, 09:55 AM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
That's cool!
It looks like it's spinning. I never played the game, but i'd say it's a flying saucer. Identified! :yeah:
Edited by No64DD, Oct 9 2016, 06:38 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'm not sure how you can tell if it's spinning from my terrible pictures lol. I guess the brightness is changing a little bit, makes it look like it's flickering. I wish I had the means to capture footage straight off my n64 so I could get a better look at it. You really have to be watching for it because it takes forever to appear, it moves really fast, then it disappears in like 3 seconds.

Certainty a small detail. So small I don't think anyone would ever notice it, I mean I had to stare at the sky for 30 minutes to find it. The only reason I noticed was because I was listening to the music and had my animal staring out into space because it fit with the music ( I know I'm not the only person who does things like this in games right? ). I'm sure someone else has seen this thing before but they probably forgot about it 2 seconds after seeing it and never mentioned it to anybody since it is so miniscule that it's hardly worth mentioning. Still, any game with a nice secret ufo gets bonus points from me, extra if they don't tell you it's there and it's never explained.

Also I hope you get around to the game sometime. It's pretty okay.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
No64DD
@Shellshocker,
If you look at the dates that these games were set in; under the right conditions, it is scientifically possible for an insect to become fossilized in some stage of amber in that timeframe! :yeah:
Not that it matters or anything, but I just realized that they can't really exist in the same universe. Space Station Silicon Valley was launched from Earth in 2001, which would mean it was launched during a time when humans were nearly extinct. At that point all the humans left were living up in the Station Omega in Body Harvest, which is a different space station. Ah well. I'd better stop thinking too hard about it. Trying to connect two plots that obviously aren't connected never works out. It's still a cool reference and the amber fact still holds up.

Ooh and 64th post. This'll never happen again. :(
Edited by Shellshocker18, May 18 2017, 04:39 PM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Woah! :eh:

The important thing is the fossilized insect. It is the connection between the two.
It also makes you part of the story as well, which is what the creators' intentions were all along. 👽

Congrats! :n64:

Edited by No64DD, Oct 9 2016, 05:24 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
I'm doing a bit of research on something at the moment and I stumbled across this.

Check out the names of these cars in the Nintendo developed Ridge Racer 64 :yeah:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by danilochka, Oct 10 2016, 11:15 AM.
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I kinda like this thread so I'll bring it back. No64DD told me Nushi Tsuri had an N64 in it. The first game has a console which looks more like a PlayStation but in the sequal Nushi Tsuri 64 Shiokaze ni Notte there is indeed a Nintendo 64! It's in the inn where you rest so it must be lodgenet.

Posted Image

Its always cool when game consoles appeared in video games on their own console. It seemed to slow down once consoles lost all personality in the 7th generation but it does still happen in 3ds and Wii-U games sometimes and I think Uncharted 4 had a ps1. Weird thing is that this is a completely 3rd party game.

God I can't wait until I can take real screenshots
Edited by Shellshocker18, May 18 2017, 04:49 PM.
Posted Image

DABOMBEVERYPLAY
Member Avatar
If you leave Mario idle for long enough in either Cool Cool Mountain or Snowman's Land, he won't do his usual Animation (falling asleep) rather, he'll get cold, shiver and cross his arms.
Favorite Game: Super Mario 64

Favorite Level: Hazy Maze Cave

Least Favorite Level: Dire, Dire Docks

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
The snowman who could blow Mario's hat off :lol:

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Mario 64 had some amazing touches for its time. Mario leans when he runs too. That's something not even all modern games have yet.

By the way that UFO in Silicon Valley I was going on about 8 months ago, I caught on film since my S-video cable for my elgato has arrived. I'm still learning how to use it but it's already pretty awesome. View in full screen because it is very small.

30 minutes it took to appear and gone in about 5 seconds. Such a crazy small thing. They are out there
Edited by Shellshocker18, May 19 2017, 12:37 PM.
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I see it!! 👽
Awesome stuff everyone!

That reminds me, Mario has been without a hat for months now on my one SM64 file. :lol:
Edited by No64DD, May 21 2017, 12:26 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grimakis
Member Avatar
As far as Easter Eggs go, Rare did some good ones.
-Banjo's head mounted on the wall, and Kazooie in the umbrella stand of the :cussfit: and Plucker in Conker's.
-Donkey Kong doll played with by Bottle's son in Banjo Tooie.
-Jet Force Gemini Poster in Bottle's House Banjo Tooie.
-Bottle's son wearing a hat similar to the Pokemon anime hat
Posted Image

As far as attention to detail:
-Space Station Silicon Valley: Most animals bob their heads to the background music. Destroying the speakers in the level ends the background music.
-Elevator Music in Goldeneye

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Yeah I always like that in Silicon Valley. Some animals even tap their feet, but I'm not sure if they do it when you turn the music down or destroy the speakers, I'll test that eventually. One of the levels actually requires you to destroy all the speakers just so the developers made sure you noticed their effort.

You know I just thought of this. Anyone remember those screensavers where it's just fish in an aquarium? Both Nushi Tsuri games have this feature if you wait at the title screen long enough. It will just show lots of random fish swimming. That's kind of a blast from the past
Edited by Shellshocker18, May 28 2017, 07:47 PM.
Posted Image

danny_galaga
Member Avatar
Grimakis
May 28 2017, 08:14 AM

-Elevator Music in Goldeneye

Loved the muzak in the elevator :D

Not a small detail I suppose but I love how the soldiers swat flies when they are standing around in Goldeneye.

Some of these details you guys are picking up on are small indeed. Don't you guys have anything better to do :D

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Swatting flies in Goldeneye is cool. Especially with the motion capture, it went a ways towards the realism that game went for in some places.

And hey who likes small details in games like Mario 64, that game I think I've seen everything in, and every year I am proven wrong. Danilochka brought this one to our attention during a discussion of Egyptian influences in N64 games

See these pyramids in the skybox of Shifting Sand Land?
Posted Image

Here is a better look at the texture from the DS version files. Higher Resolution and unstretched.

Posted Image

These pyramids form the Giza complex of pyramids, the only surviving wonder of the world.

Posted Image

Everytime I see a new detail in Mario 64 it sends a chill through my body because it's crazy I had never heard anyone mention this. I always thought those pyramids were mysterious off in the distance. But I never knew they were based on something real. The Mario 64 background artist must have thought they were clever. But now I wonder about Wet Dry World :eh:
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Woah, that's deep!

Great find!

I always noticed the cloud that looked a bit like a kangaroo...

danilochka
Member Avatar
Weigh My Fish
Shellshocker18
Jul 1 2017, 05:29 PM
But now I wonder about Wet Dry World :eh:
Apparently that is based on a city in Spain called Cáceres.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by danilochka, Jul 2 2017, 01:32 PM.
Posted Image

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: