Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Yooka-Laylee
Topic Started: Aug 30 2016, 05:07 AM (1,069 Views)
KnightlyGaming
Member Avatar
So after putting in about 20 hours into the game I finally feel comfortable talking about it. So disclaimer I backed the game for about $180 (specifically 100 euro). Now, with that said I think the game is fantastic. Now, I feel that some of the criticism of the game is reasonable. For example, I can see where some people can get frustrated with the minigames/quizzes changing the pacing even though I didn't mind (although there are a couple minigames that test my patients) and the complaints about the worlds not being as memorable as some of the classics are true. Now I still enjoy the game and would probably give it either a VERY high 7/10 or a solid 8/10. I enjoy the core mechanics of the game and appreciate it for what it is but do think the characters are less interesting and the worlds less lively overall than the classics of the genre (although I think the worlds are of varying quality with some being fantastic as well as some being mediocre). I look forward to what else Playtonic puts out. Anyone else been playing it and have thoughts?
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MyBeefCakes
Member Avatar
Established Member
Totally amazing for the BK and BT fans out there!
Its plays true to the originals and has so many references its unbelievable, had since day one and the disappointing part for me is that i've 70% collected everything :(

Don't want to spoil anything but comes highly recommended if you enjoyed BK adn BT!
NoPlaceLikeLocalHost

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Started playing this yesterday and its great, not without its issues but really does feel like a return to BK
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I guess I might give this a go, I'm a hugely giant Rare fan but don't feel excited for whatever reason.
However, now that it's out, I'm sure I will enjoy it.

What's the best platform to play it on?
I have XBoxOne...assume it's not on the Switch?

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
Switch is coming soon, probably next month. Playtonic is handling that port themselves.

That being said, there won't be a physical version for Switch, if that's important to you.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
D.J Cat
Apr 19 2017, 12:05 PM
I guess I might give this a go, I'm a hugely giant Rare fan but don't feel excited for whatever reason.
However, now that it's out, I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Don't worry I'm not too excited for it either. That is to say I think many people's disapointment with the game is based on being too hyped for it. Of course it has real flaws that could bother people but I think it will be a fun game when I play it because I've been getting into old 3D platformers a lot the past few years. If only I had a next gen console I would pick it and Snake Pass up immediately.

I am a bit sick of hearing people talk down at 3D platformers since it came out though. I should probably just avoid the sites where I know it's gonna happen.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 19 2017, 02:21 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

KnightlyGaming
Member Avatar
There are some valid criticism of the game but I feel like it is a good starting spot for playtonic to grow from. Also, a lot of the complaints come from people who aren't still actively playing the old 3D platformers and I feel like almost anyone on here that enjoyed the old games probably will enjoy Yooka Laylee.
Posted Image

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
The camera becomes a non issue if you pretend the right analog doesn't exist, and just let the auto camera handle it.

MyBeefCakes
Member Avatar
Established Member
Wouldn't pay attention to the critics when it comes to Rare games.
At the end of the day IMO Rare create games for people to enjoy and create their own memories through them, for me the experience will be completely different to the next individual who plays the same game.
NoPlaceLikeLocalHost

KnightlyGaming
Member Avatar
Realistically people act like the reviews are terrible but it is actually averaging over a 7 on metacritic with many of those being 8-10 ratings. Yooka Laylee has overall just shown there is a divide in what certain gamers want out of their games and that to some people this game is fantastic while others don't enjoy even the core premise of it. When it boils down to it you have to decided for yourself. I would say that if you can still play Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie and enjoy yourself then you will probably enjoy Yooka Laylee. If you enjoyed Banjo back when it released but can't stand to play it now then you might not enjoy Yooka Laylee that much.
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I'm only about 6 hours in, partly completed world 1+2 and I'm loving it so far.
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Sounds like I'm really going to like it.

Mostly because I don't waste my time on overly getting excited about games before they are ready.
So when they are suddenly available it's a pleasant surprise.

And yeah, I enjoyed the Banjos etc back in the day but more importantly, still enjoyed the crap out of them in very recent times.

It's N64 Forever for me. Not just N64 back in the day 😃

Wildfiremicro
Member Avatar
Established Member
I think I am gonna just wait for a price drop. I have heard mixed things, and I don't want to possibly disappoint myself by paying 40$
We are all mad here
Rip and tear until it's done
Youtube: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzsB1vGRWSrVZ4GNkdY856w

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
I believe the latest update fixes a lot of pain points.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Playing it on the PS4 the only real problem I had was the camera could be a pain at times. Didn't experience frame drops or any of the major problems the reviewers mentioned.
Youtube

UK resident

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: