Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Super Mario Run; iOS Nintendo Game
Topic Started: Sep 8 2016, 08:23 AM (785 Views)
MyBeefCakes
Member Avatar
Established Member
Hey All,

Have you heard of Super Mario Run?

Nintendos new iOS game?
Some gameplay has been released, it looks like a one-handed, one-touch operation but seriously cool none-the-less

Are you downloading it?
NoPlaceLikeLocalHost
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KnightlyGaming
Member Avatar
It looks like a good endless runner, but not really my kind of thing... With that said I will probably still try it =P
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Hmm... no Android support?

If there weren't already 900 different, yet similar ways to play Mario, i could almost get excited.
How does this game offer something new, or even captivate audiences like Miitomo and Pokemon GO did??
Edited by No64DD, Sep 8 2016, 10:44 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I always expected a Mario Runner, but not one that is nearly console-quality. The allure to me is that it is so much simpler than Pokemon Go and not social media like Miitomo. Great time killer when time needs to be slayed.

I also love the Apple-Nintendo partnership...portent of things to come?!?!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Fair enough.

I don't have an Apple device, so it looks like i won't even get to play it.
This makes me now want to play it even more!
Blasted! Nintendo has thought of everything! :eh:
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

KnightlyGaming
Member Avatar
Actually I am fairly certain it is only temporary exclusive to apple devices. I think that they plan on releasing on android in the future (idk when though)
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Who am I kidding, I'm in.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
well, that's no surprise its Apple exclusive since Nintendo gave rights to them. still it amaze me how much company tend to create stuff for Apple while they have a very slim part of the market compared to Android.

that said, it looks very fun and huge time killer. those with Apple device, have fun this Autumn !

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
It has been announced that it will come to Android at a later time so Android users will get their chance with the game eventually.

MyBeefCakes
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'm thinking maybe they will add geo features.
Like you get 1 special coin per 1k walked or special levels/bosses for specific locations geographically maybe?

For some reason I don't think the video shows all the game has to offer....
NoPlaceLikeLocalHost

Karsty5
Member Avatar
The GCN guy
I'm actually pretty excited for this. It seems like one of those apps that will get people into Nintendo and Mario again, so that's a plus.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7OLL-vIfr4bMQhasZ6a1A - My YouTube Channel
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
It's here for you (us) iPhone users. I'm going download the free version now and probably spring for the full version so my kids have it on their iPads. For the first time, I'm actually worried one of them will beat me straight up!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
If anyone's trying to grab it, the App Store is getting pummeled right now, so you may have trouble downloading it until they get that sorted out.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
I got it, bought it and think it's pretty darn cool.

So many reviews talked about beating the full game in an hour. That is not really what SMR is about.

Learn the levels, try to beat your high score, try to get all the pink coins (then purple, then black if you dare), then head over to Toad Rally and try to beat other players. Toad Rally is frantic, because you have to do extra (and unnecessary) moves to earn points. It's a winner take all deal, like Splatoon's ranked battles (without clueless teammates to blame!). There are rewards to be earned as well, so it is a more robust package than it may first appear. And this is Nintendo; I bet there will be free upgrades to enhance the experience as it does with Miitomo.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I'm anxious to try it. Left my iPad at work last night so I'll give it a go over lunch today!
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@kartmaster: I'm not sure how to add friends or what we do once added, but if you figure it out, please add me! ID below
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I couldn't find you searching for that. (Of course not Nintendo, that would make way too much sense.)

Looks like you have to search for your Super Mario Run player ID which is completely separate from your Nintendo ID. And a completely random 12 digit number.

Here's mine if anyone wants to add me... 9195-5471-0562
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@kartmaster: I sent you an invite. Thanks for figuring that out.

Here's mine if anyone want to go for a run: 9476-61-02-2550
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Having played SMR every day this weekend, I have a few thoughts I'd like to share:

1. Addictive? YES. Just one more run . . . I'll get all those pink coins this time!

2. Is this a good game? Yes, maybe a great one. It is console quality, and there is a depth to it that many "reviews" are flat out missing. There is are a few nice techniques that open the game up a bit, like "stall jumping" and backtracking with the bubble. Oh, and stop swiping! This is not a swipe game. Moreover, a level changes a bit after you get all the pink stars. So yes there are 24 levels, but there is likely 3 configurations of each level (one for each of the pink, purple and black stars), for 72 different experiences.

3. Is Nintendo going to update it like miitomo? Well, just this morning, Nintendo added 3 seasonal items to add to your Kingdom. Really awesome Christmas tree, poinsettias, and a Mario snow globe. So the indications are, yes.

4. Wait, what the heck is your "Kingdom"? So, you play SMR to learn the courses, earn coins and generally increase your skills. You play SMR Rally (great, frantic mode, btw) to beat bots (based on the runs of real folks) to win Toads to inhabit your kingdom. The Kingdom is an overworld of sorts, the more toads, the bigger the castle. The more coins, the more you can buy items to place in your kingdom.

5. But my kingdom is full! See how the screen wants to scroll but doesn't?!? When you earn enough toads of different colors, you can buy a rainbow bridge and (I strongly suspect) a new realm of the kingdom opens up (sort of like the overworld in NSMBWU). If you click on a locked item, you can see how many toads you need to earn before the item is unlocked for purchase.

6. Is it worth purchasing for $10. Yes. But I feel like I'm arguing in favor of the Wii U again. Quality product that the masses seem displeased with. Why? They cannot gauge the depth of the game from the free part, they don't want to spend $10 on a mobile game regardless of quality, and it seems you have to pay $10 per device. You can usually work around this by the family share or using the same Apple ID on different devices, but I do not think either work. So you actually have to pay Nintendo for each copy of the game you own. The horror.

I do feel the world has made up its mind on SMR and it may suffer the same fate as the Wii U. That 2.5 star review on the iTunes store is ridiculous (and, as someone who loves this game, cannot seem to rate it). Both deserve better.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I reckon I will give it a go.

As much as I'm like "I'd rather play a REAL Mario game" and yes, I have just started a full on 3D Mario Binge starting with Super Mario 64, that's the point of a mobile game, to play something when you don't have access to your consoles.

The anti-Nintendo thing that seems to be out there like BDR mentioned is something I want to counter, and I'm pretty dam sure I will enjoy this anyway.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I'm anxious to hear revenue numbers and not just downloads. If nothing else because I want to see this purchase model succeed.

I absolutely HATE the pay to keep playing, or pay to speed up gameplay model. Just let me know how much money you need to make a decent game, and let me buy the game.

People have acclimated to this 99c price point, and it's really handcuffed the potential of software on mobile if you ask me. I'm totally willing to play mobile games... if people are making good games.
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@kart: Yes, great point! I was thinking, man, if I had to buy tickets to Toad Rally or pay to unlock some of the courses, I would not be into this. I have not spent a dime on Miitomo even though I check in every day . . . I just do not want to go there.

@DJ: Hooray! Hope you enjoy!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
kartmaster
Dec 20 2016, 08:31 AM
I'm anxious to hear revenue numbers and not just downloads. If nothing else because I want to see this purchase model succeed.
Investors.com just reported an estimated $21 million in revenue over four-day opening weekend. Predictions for first month revenues range from $60-71M, which would would apparently be a net of $39-50M. We'll see...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
That's a pretty impressive number! At that rate the haters can keep hatin'.
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Here's an appropriately positive (glowing actually) review of SMR:

http://www.stuff.tv/app-reviews/super-mario-run/review

The addictive observation is fitting. I was up way past my bedtime last night trying to get all the pink and purple coins on a few levels. When accomplished, it's definitely a fist-pump moment!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
I'm coming close to what I want to accomplish in SMR. I maxed out my "splendid kingdom," (Level 20), opened up all 6 areas of the Kingdom, got all the pink coins (and most of the purples ones), and most of the decoration/building/special items. Needless to say I've poured a bit of time into this one and got my $10 worth 10 times over. Here's a pic of my pimped out Castle:
Posted Image
Anyone else playing? Got a pic of your castle/grounds to share?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
is it coming to android yet ?

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
In March (2017). If I were Nintendo, I'd think hard about launching it on Android in two versions, a flat $10 version (like OS) and a free pay-as-you go version. The game is set up perfectly for it, and they got so much negative PR from people who were too blind to see the $10 BARGAIN here.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Yeah, I'm only about 2/3 through getting just the pink coins and it's already been worth the $10 for me. Probably have 3 hours into it so far. And still a ton more coins to go.

Like the game for sure. I'd have spent more time with it if I had it on my phone I think instead of the iPad. But my phone was an Android and I couldn't wait. Haha.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
im pretty sure its worth the 10$ but I want to test it before buying it. giving 10$ for a game just like that aint my moto. If I could return it, fine, but this aint the case with digital game, that's why I hate it.

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Other Video Games · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: