Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
64DD cartridge ports
Topic Started: Oct 17 2016, 06:57 PM (633 Views)
NUS-Man
Member Avatar
Established Member
Any of you tried the 64DD cartridge ports? How well do they work on real hardware? I've heard elsewhere they are very good. Obviously Talent Studio won't work with the Capture Cartridge, but the game would still be playable. I think every other game should be fully playable. F-Zero X Expansion Kit in English looks so nice...

I hate to say this but I had no idea this existed when I bought my 64DD console and games. Retrogate.com (everdrive store) also runs a Black Friday sale every year, it's a great opportunity to get Everdrives. I have heard those cartridge ports work on the Everdrive 64. Would it be wrong to jump ship from 64DD to Everdrive 64? I know I haven't had it for very long, but I knew full well the 64DD was expensive and therefore usually disappointing due to the lack of games. It has been very fun and a fantastic bucket list item, but I kinda want an Everdrive 64 more. All my N64 games in one cart, translations, homebrews and 64DD cartridge ports, oh man...

That and I still don't have F-Zero X Expansion Kit. It's hard to get one for under $100. That's almost the cost of an Everdrive 64 2.5, *sigh*. The 64DD console kinda ate up a big portion of my hobby cash.

(In case one is wondering, I don't have the hobby spending money for both 64DD and an Everdrive 64. I'd have to choose one.)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MyBeefCakes
Member Avatar
Established Member
Ok so it would be awesome to own a 64DD!
However I would be inclined to go down the Everdrive route. As you say translations, homebrews and cartridge ports.
I'd love to play some NTSC translations but don't have the cash to invest in an everdrive at the moment.
NoPlaceLikeLocalHost

Cabanon
Elite
I know LuigiBlood is working on translating the 64DD games and it's going ver well but it requires an insane amount of time. I would also go the everdrive/64drive route.

Disco_Stu
Member Avatar
I've already played them on my 64drive and it works like a charm. It is great because this way I can preserve my DD and keep it in good shape :rollseyes:

I'm also happy that LuigiBlood is translating the remaining 64DD titles so we all can enjoy them without the language barrier.
Stu

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Luigiblood somehow got the Capture cart and Gameboy Camera support to work as well.
It's pretty amazing considering that he has never owned any of the hardware/software!
Edited by No64DD, Oct 18 2016, 09:26 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

NUS-Man
Member Avatar
Established Member
No64DD
Oct 18 2016, 09:24 AM
Luigiblood somehow got the Capture cart and Gameboy Camera support to work as well.
How? The capture cartridge and Everdrive 64 / 64Drive occupy the same cartridge slot.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I'm not really sure. He's a hacker. Everything he has been doing is on 64DD.org
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

LuigiBlood
Member Avatar
No64DD
Oct 18 2016, 09:24 AM
It's pretty amazing considering that he has never owned any of the hardware/software!
I didn't get the Capture Cartridge to work. I managed to simulate the presence of one on MAME via debugger tricks but I did not emulate it nor do I fully understand it.

However GameBoy Camera support, yeah, I did that personally :D

That said, yesterday I got the hardware for real. Maybe I'll get something to work :D

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Hey there! I just noticed that you posted in this section. :yeah:

From a physical standpoint, there are literally 4 different Gameboy Camera.

NTSC
JPN
PAL
Gold Zelda themed

What did you find the reason was that the DD only recognized the JPN versions?
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

LuigiBlood
Member Avatar
From a ROM standpoint, USA and Europe = same, then there's Gold version, and then the Japanese version... two versions of it.
DD Game checks the header name of the Game Boy cartridge.
There's "POCKETCAMERA" and "POCKETCAMERA_SN". It only recognizes those. The US/Europe version has "GAMEBOYCAMERA".
Interestingly enough, "POCKETCAMERA_SN" is undumped.

To make it recognize all of them, a clever trick was done. It only checks a portion of it, which is ETCA and BOYC. Zoinkity made that hack possible.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
That's cool!
I believe Zoinkity is a member here.

I guess the same can be said as to why we all call the Transfer Pak by name, but Japan calls it the 64GB Pak.
Edited by No64DD, Jun 1 2017, 11:50 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

U64pro
I have the DD Capture Card but this needs the cartridge slot.
With a real DD no problem but with a Flashcard well...
Several years ago I read somewhere, that the cartridge slot and the expansionslot are the same bus.
Also if you look at a N64 Board, they are conected.
Maybe it would be possible to build a adaptor with two N64 slots. One for the Capture Unit and one for the Flashcard.
If that is even possible, I am sure there are software changes for the flashcard needed and also propably for the Mario Artist DDs.
Regarding the this adaptor, I have actually seen such a thing already. Every Development DD unit had such a thing in the package and it makes sense because for the Dev DD the IPL was on the Cartridge.

« Previous Topic · N64DD · Next Topic »
Add Reply