Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Nintendo Switch Topic; (f/k/a The Nintendo NX)
Topic Started: Oct 20 2016, 08:47 AM (7,142 Views)
bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
October 20, 2016. The day Nintendo pulled the veil off the "NX" (and ditched the name) and gave us a glimpse of its next console, the Nintendo Switch. If you've always wanted an untethered gamepad with lots of third party support, today is a day you will long remember!

Here is the Official trailer:

There is so much to see in this short preview. Three different control schemes, though no motion (??) or second screen. The heart of the console has a screen and can go with you. It props up and can be used a little portable monitor for two player gaming on the go. It may also be linkable to other units (8-player Splatoon action in one living room?!?) And where in the world is the disc drive? Have skinny little carts replaced our shiny round friends?!? Is there a touch screen . . . and do we really want one this time round? Wow, this is a lot to take in (and quite exciting). Seems like there may be immediate plans for a new 3D Mario platformer, Mario Kart and Splatoon. And Skyrim?!?

What do you see that excites or disappoints you?!? Can you wait for March 2017?!?
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Did anyone see King Boo during the Mario Kart part? Does this mean more Mario Kart 8 DLC, or perhaps NX exclusive content?

Edited by Shellshocker18, Jun 20 2017, 10:53 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
This is what we've got:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
It's definitely not Mario Kart 8. King Boo is now a drivable character. :)

And the hair in Splatoon is different. I think it might be a sequel as well.

It's confirmed to be running a custom Nvidia Tegra SOC, and Nvidia handled all the API development for the console, which should help third parties.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
You know what about that Mario kart clip? Even though it is on Yoshi's Circuit from Mario Kart 8, the characters have two slots for items which isn't in Mario Kart 8. Maybe it is Mario Kart 9, or at least some sorta 8.5. The hud and graphics look the same.

Also, I really hope hope third party support goes well this time.

Posted Image

Here's a nice image of the console and controller. I'm excited to see that it is using a matte finish instead of piano gloss. Thank you Nintendo. I am so sick of piano gloss.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jun 20 2017, 10:54 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Third party support you say? According to Nintendolife, Big N emailed a list of developers who have pledged support for the Switch. It's a long one, and again, all credit to Nintendolife.com (and yes, it includes Platinum!):

505 Games
LEVEL-5 Inc.
Activision Publishing, Inc.
Marvelous Inc.
ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
Maximum Games, LLC
ATLUS CO., LTD.
Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
Audiokinetic Inc.
Parity Bit Inc.
Autodesk, Inc.
PlatinumGames Inc.
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
RAD Game Tools, Inc.
Bethesda
RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
Codemastersģ
Silicon Studio Corporation
CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
DeNA Co., Ltd.
SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
Electronic Arts
Starbreeze Studios
Epic Games Inc.
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
Firelight Technologies
Telltale Games
FromSoftware, Inc.
THQ Nordic
Frozenbyte
Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
GameTrust
TT Games
GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.
UBISOFT
Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
Ubitus Inc.
HAMSTER Corporation
Unity Technologies, Inc.
Havok
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
Web Technology Corp
KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Looks interesting. Definitely unique. Really I'd have preferred an out right gaming machine but unfortunately Microsoft and Sony have kind of bullied Nintendo out of that field.

I had a Wii U for a very short period and whilst the games I found were really good, the chunky remote etc I personally felt let it down so shifted it on. I know some like it and to each their own. It just isn't for me. It will probably be the case with this gen as well but I should keep an open mind.
Edited by Milage007, Oct 20 2016, 11:14 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
So this may not be your preferred mode of playing the Switch:
Posted Image

But the pro controller is BACK!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
It's amazing to think how much is being packed into that tiny little "game card"!
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Karsty5
Member Avatar
The GCN guy
Yeah, I'm really excited for the Switch as well! May even be a day 1 purchase! That list of 3rd parties is going to be great for people who disliked the Wii U's lack of non-nintendo games.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7OLL-vIfr4bMQhasZ6a1A - My YouTube Channel
Posted Image

Bamboozled
Member Avatar
veteran of the psychic wars
This... this is beautiful.
I love how we've seen its graphic limits and the 3rd party support is to DROOL over.

Day one purchase, probably.
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Shellshocker18
Oct 20 2016, 09:19 AM
I'm excited to see that it is using a matte finish instead of piano gloss. Thank you Nintendo. I am so sick of piano gloss.
You can say that again!

Ever since Wii they have been using that glossy finish.
If you look at it the wrong way, it scratches!
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cabanon
Elite
if it's red. im buying day 1. im still waiting for a red wiiu. they really need more color option, black is getting old.

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@Cabanon: I would be shocked if they released any variety of the Wii U at this point. Big N can't get away from it fast enough. It's a great console that deserved a better fate.

So I'm pulling for a red Switch just for you buddy!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
The system could be polished diarrhea-colored and I think it could still merit a purchase. ;)

HOWEVER... this merit could potentially be in jeopardy if they decide to have these game cards region-locked. :unsure:
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Rayman Legends, Fat Princess Adventures, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
This looks amazing and I always love what Nintendo comes out with. My one hope is that it can compete with Sony and Microsoft of First Person Shooters. I honestly could care less about playing COD on Nintendo but thats one of their biggest downfalls is not being able to support the third party AAA games, like COD, Doom, Madden. If Nintendo can pull the hardware together I think they have a chance at coming out on top again.
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I've been following a lot of the rumors and leaks and I'm happy that most of the big ones turned out to be true! I really like the ability to take it with me. To multiplayer with others. And all the controller options.

It looks more than powerful enough to me. And I am really jazzed about the game cards/carts.

Zelda, new Mario! Maybe some enhanced versions of Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon! Lots to love.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

Spidercolt
Member Avatar
Mario Maniac
I am very excited for this console! I am not trying to say that the Wii U was a bad system, because it wasn't. But I have some friends who are normally not Nintendo fans who are saying they are going to purchase the system day one because it looks awesome! As for me.. I was buying it at launch as soon as they said "NX is coming" because that's what I do :P
Get :n64: Or Get Out!

NTSC Collection: 81 Games
61 Cart Only
20 Complete In Box

GameCube: 78 Games Complete

My Collection

Nintendo Network ID: Spidercolt.

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Also... yes please!!

Posted Image
source
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), Rayman Legends, Fat Princess Adventures, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

KnightlyGaming
Member Avatar
So I can see some potential in this, but for the first time ever I am not actually excited about a new nintendo console and I was even one of the few who were super excited about the Wii U. I hope this console ends up being good but I have a few doubts...

1) It looks like it is trying to be a console and a handheld and yet is only mediocre at both. Awkward controller (unless you buy pro controller separately) and weak power compared to other home consoles (especially when you think about the fact this is the next generation supposedly) and then when you take it as a handheld system it is too large/awkward as well as no dual screen which is one of the best features of the ds/3ds

2) I don't really ever plan on using this as a mobile game system. I don't care for handhelds to begin with, but even if I did I wouldn't want to have my dedicated home console to be made weaker in exchange for being used as an ok at best handheld.

3) It is way to easy to lose or break either those side controllers or the main screen when carrying it around. If I lose/break any part of that while traveling then suddenly my home console is useless. People are much more likely to lose or drop and break a handheld like a 3ds than they are to lose an entire console like a wii u...

4) What is the battery life going to be on the mobile part? Is it going to last for an hour or two and then die unless I recharge it? That would make it not worth the trade off in power. Plus, how much more is the console going to cost in order to have this mobile gimmick that I don't plan on using?

I am hopeful about the new Switch but I am very hesitant... Probably will still get it when a new Pikmin or something comes out though to be honest
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Pretty good summary that KG. Of course it's still early days but just to echo my main gripe is the handheld aspect and ultimatelty as I said before what did for the Wii U for me. There is no need to tap into that market as well. Surely Nintendo know from the good old days that people are prepared to have a GameBoy and an N64, therefore two potential income streams. No need to merge it. I guess they are trying to be unique, more niche, because Microsoft and Sony are so far out of sight when it comes to pure outright gaming machines.

:blink:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

MyBeefCakes
Member Avatar
Established Member
Personally I hope it does well but I think Nintendo shot themselves in the foot a bit over the last few years.

Every console Nintendo released has always brought something new to the industry which has never really done before (at least on the controller side of things) they are surprisingly inventive with their controllers and console IPs.

However since after the Wii they just haven't grabbed my attention. The Wii U to me is a glorified Wii which is a whole generation behind in terms of performance. And yes the consoles are not all about performance but its nice to have those rich textures and baked/dynamic lighting which Wii U can't offer.

And now the Switch. The hardware will almost certainly be subpar of PS4 and Xbox One, its not feasible to integrate a powerhouse into the tablet-esque device due to battery constraints on the go. Unless the dock includes additional memory and processing power, but even then it makes it harder for the developers to have their engine optimize games when removed from the dock on the go, its either this or there will be a 'compatibility' list for portable ready games and dock ready games.

Now its a funky idea but apparently Tesco here in the UK leaked the launch price of £349.

ITs just too much Nintendo, right now I can pick up an Xbox one with GoW4, Fifa 17 & Halo V for £230. What are Nintendo really offering for the price?

And wheres the demarcation point for the partners/developers they listed? Realistically they could just port older 360/PS3 games (like they have been doing) to the Switch and call it a day. Developers of AAA titles focused on the XBOne and PS4 would need to translate their code to a language the Switch can understand and the majority of developers don't see the value at the end of the day (well I should say majority of publishers as they call the shots).

Yet despite all this I will still purchase one. Nintendo why did you steal my childhood memories? :D

In the end of things, if the switch takes off there will 100% be a :pottymouth: load of crappy bloatware that sub par developers will chuck out left right and centre and we will end up sitting and waiting patiently just as the 3DS, Wii & Wii U for those supreme Nintendo polished games.
Y U DO DIS Nintendo?

They really need to get up to speed with the competitors of the industry, its like Nintendo since 2012 have developed a tunnel vision and ignored competitors moves of cloud saves, integrating cloud processing, GaiKai (PS Now) and other technologies people love to see integrated with their consoles, it makes me feel like the competitors are doing more for my money and Nintendo are like "Nah, this is how the industry should work".

And what about the 3DS? On the release of Switch with it being portable and utilising game cards, why would you need a 3DS and Switch, so Nintendo can grab more funds? Theres no logicial reason as to why they would block compatibility with 3DS games, except money.

If I bought a Switch I would not buy a 3DS. Used to own one, was looking to get one back, but not anymore.

Just my own honest feelings. And as bad as I feel for Nintendo not doing so well over the last few years I will get a Switch and get the sinking ship sensation as they develop the next console, Switch-U and Nintendo DS Advance,
NoPlaceLikeLocalHost

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
I can't help but feel that this is going to be another flop. When Nintendo decide to build an actual powerful fully functional gaming machine without the gimmicks then I'll get one but until that point it's a good try Nintendo and sorry your not getting my money.

Reading a lot of msg boards today about this release and it seems I'm not the only one who feels this way. I wish Nintendo would stop trying and failing to inivate something that people just don't want. They're clearly not listening to there users and continuing to build machines that don't live up to the mark.

They flooked the Wii as people bought the console based solely on the fact the it was interactive, which at the time hadn't been done, but since then it's been quite the poor effort. They're clearly trailing Microsoft and Sony and that makes me sad. They used to be the dominate force in gaming but because they're refusal to grow with the times and continually remaking games that are clearly passed they're used by date they will continue to struggle.

A new Mario and new Zelda??? Young kids are just not into that anymore and our generation are struggling to hold onto anymore mediocre remakes in that area. The nostalgia is slowly dieing and people from the 80s and early 90's who played these titles are slowly migrating onto things that are more enjoyable and new.

These are my thoughts on it all. Bash me if you want. I'm just looking at the big picture and seeing that it's not real bright for Nintendo. Which I said earlier makes me sad that refuse to listen to what gamers really want.

I really hope I'm wrong and the switch is a success. I'll happily eat my words if I'm wrong...but it just seems it's a gimmicky stretch again from the big N
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
@DeeMoney: Those are all very valid points/concerns; not bash worthy at all. I do think the "untethered gamepad" feature of the switch is something that will appeal to gamers, not necessarily on a social basis, but just in terms of playing in the house and not being tied to the TV anymore. And if it is soley card based, can we say goodbye to long loading times?

But you raise an interesting point. Why doesn't Nintendo make a straight forward console--it's own version of the PS4--with the distinguishing feature being its exclusives. Part of me says its the same reason Apple does what it does in terms of trying to constantly innovate, but that type of console certainly would appeal to the modern-day gamer like yourself. Interesting thoughts there, DeeMoney.

@MyBeefCakes: My understanding is that Nintendo has reach the point where it no longer wants to develop mobile and console games. I recall that they recently merge divisions. When you think of the Wii U's desperate need for Nintendo games (bc few others were making them), it makes sense. It may also make sense in terms of tablets and phones radically changing the way mobile gaming is done. But people love the DS line and do not want to see it go.

@all: so I showed my kids the Switch trailer. They both want one...but did not agree to sell their ipads towards that purchase😆
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
It's a tough one mate. It could really go either way at this point. I'd just really love a Nintendo console that's fully powered up and some great games to play on it.

Something like that would take prime position in the media room here at my place. All the cross platform game with some new inovations from Nintendo is where I'd be happy. Maybe next console cycle?? Hopefully.....maybe !?!!
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
It doesn't look as though the Switch is a touchscreen device, so that would make DS/3DS compatibility a hard thing to achieve. The other thing is that Nintendo has a lot of Wii U ports and other original games coming to 3DS through next year, so I don't think they intend to drop the handheld just yet.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
I'm interested in the switch for sure. I've always wanted to continue my game at work during my lunch but not been able to so this would fit that plan. Those little controllers look far too small for me to use but there's other options which is great.

Wont be a day one purchase for me though, i'm skint and learnt my lesson from the Wii U and Xbox one.
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
It'll be a day one purchase for me. But I'm a pretty blatant fanboy. I am "that guy" that Nintendo will be able to re-sell all their old games to me indefinitely. I just grew up loving these games and I still enjoy the spirit they put into their franchises.

I'm excited at the prospect of having ONE Virtual Console library that I can use on the big screen OR away from home. Really excited about the local multi-player possibilities.

But most of all...

N64 Forever Mario Kart 8.5 Game Nights!!!!!! =D
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I skipped :wii: :Wii U: and i'm eager to see what i've been missing. This is the system i want to play Breath of the Wild on!!

My wallet is ready!

Edited by No64DD, Oct 21 2016, 11:01 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
buddy1983
Oct 21 2016, 06:45 AM
Wont be a day one purchase for me though, i'm skint and learnt my lesson from the Wii U and Xbox one.
A Day One purchase might present an interesting decision...

I recall reading (amongst all the NX rumors) that the portable NX would come to retail before the "console".
Today, Nintendo clarified that the main unit of the Switch is NOT the dock but that portable unit (which is referred to as the console). So I wonder if the Day One hardware package will be limited to console+joy-cons, and whether a holiday bundle might include the dock+grip as well in one attractively priced deal (that is way better than Day One)? The NX speculation continues :facepalm:

@kartmaster: YES!!! MarioKart8.5 and/or Spla2n will force my hand, no doubt. We need to practice up for Boomdiers!!! He's going down next time :rofl:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Enjoy forums? Start your own community for free.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Nintendo Switch · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: