Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Hydro Thunder; November Game of the Month
Topic Started: Nov 1 2016, 05:30 PM (580 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Hydro Thunder won pretty heavily :yeah: I never owned or played it. It always looked like a decent race. Curious to see what others thought of it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
Hydro Thunder was the one game my parents bought unasked for. They played the arcade version on vacation, went to the store and bought the N64 version, and then monopolized my N64 for a week after they got home.

I have this version and the Dreamcast port, which is much closer to arcade perfect. Both have their good and bad points; the DC version is, as I said, close to arcade perfect, and the save system is more reliable, while the N64 port is more polished (the DC port was rushed for the launch) and the timing's been rebalanced to make the game a little more fair.

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
I also got this game from my parents unasked for. I'd played the arcade version so I was familiar with it. I ended up playing a heck of a lot of it apparently. I 100%'d the game, but oddly don't have any specific memories of it.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Okay, I truly need to fire up the N64 for some Hyrdo Thunder action! Good call guys!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Have a lot of fond memories of this game.

And only got it 6 years ago.
I think I did it for N64 Beats em all.

Fantastic, simple fun, great tracks.
Will definitely stick this one in when Inger a chance, possibly tomorrow 😎

3"45"67
Edited by D.J Cat, Nov 5 2016, 04:23 AM.

Jsboger
Member Avatar
Established Member
It is a fun game for sure. Classic arcade racer!
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Never played this one but it looks like a decent game. Congrats!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Never played it either. I think it looks fun and it has some really nice visuals but it is unfortunately expensive. Even the loose blue cart is $25 dollars which is a little to much for me to stomach since I'm not big on racing games.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
That time I mentioned above is the default first checkpoint tine in every course I noticed last week for some reason.

Been playing through, enjoying it.
Getting close to beating the Hard courses and unlocking the Bonus ones.

This is what I love about this console.
This game takes me back to 2010 and 2013 even though it was released way earlier than that.
To me, it was a new game and I have fond memories as such.
That's why I don't refer to the N64 in past tense.
It wasn't a great console "back in the day" because it still is now!

N64 Forever indeed!

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
This is the kind of game that takes me back to the golden age of arcades. Memories of fifteen different games with their sounds and music mixed in loud mind numbing blaring decimals. All in one room. Those were the days. You just could not get this type of gaming at home. Nothing was more powerful than the SNES back then.
When I first got this game for the N64 I was back in the arcades.Love this type of gaming.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Every time I play the Venice Canals level and the Italian police come after you I can't help but imagine in my head that it's Italia coming to arrest me for not racing well enough! 😅

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I fired it up and raced the first three courses (too lazy to pop in a controller pak). I smiled the whole time. This is pretty much my idea of the quintessential video game. Fast paced racer with over-the-top (and comically unrealistic) action in great (and fantastical) environments that is just plain fun. And like retro junkie said, it does harken back to arcade days.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Hydro Racing is something I would play from time to time at arcades, but I don't think I've ever played a home port of the game. May have to correct this. O_o
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Never played this one
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
EnvyFox
Nov 15 2016, 11:44 PM
Hydro Racing is something I would play from time to time at arcades, but I don't think I've ever played a home port of the game. May have to correct this. O_o
I vividly remember in 2010 when we moved into our new house at the time and being pumped about Hydro Thunder and my mates girlfriend (now wife 😊 ) said she saw an arcade game at the shopping mall that we may like "it was called Hydro Thunder!"

Was pumped for it, but where it was set up and the age mad either not as enjoyable as we hoped.
Mostly the glare from and the poor positioning made it a bit hard to see!
Really love how you do the jump at the raced with the lever as an accelerator 😎

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply