Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
2016 Awards - Game of the Year (Modern Console); What is your favorite 2016 release?
Topic Started: Nov 30 2016, 11:01 AM (445 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
As the title indicates, this award is to recognize the best modern console video game in 2016. Once again, there are many good ones to choose from this year.

Each members may nominate one (1) game released in 2016 for any console. After voting concludes, we will put it to a poll among the Top 3 nominees!

Prior Winners:
2015: Fallout 4
2014: Mario Kart 8 & Super Smash Bros. U (tie)
2013: Super Mario World 3D
2012: Hitman: Absolution
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I haven't played many modern games, mostly because I don't own any of the new consoles, but I do know someone with a PS4 and the funnest game I played this year was the new DOOM. A triple A first person shooter with fast movement speed, no ridiculous tutorials and handholding, or long boring cutscenes? Yes please :D !
Posted Image
Posted Image I only partially like some of you
Posted Image The award I will forever be most proud of

cleftkirby
Member Avatar
Who else plays Overwatch?
Posted Image

kartmaster
Member Avatar
Coffee Drinker
Wow, I'm just now realizing that the only game I've played that was actually released this year is Pokemon GO. While I like the concept, it just has some mechanics that really lost me as a player pretty quick. Can't bring myself to vote for it.

Man, I feel so old.

So I'm going to hold out for a few more days and possibly nominate Super Mario Run.... we'll see.
Posted Image
Join in the N64 Forever MK64 Hotlap Competition!
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I give 3 games major consideration. Skyrim Special Edition, Uncharted 4, and Hitman.

Skyrim is a remaster of my favorite game of all time. Hitman has been a lot of fun, and has kept me in to it for a good while.

Uncharted 4 was epic though. It get's my vote :yeah:

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
I'm going with Star Fox Zero (Wii U). I really loved this game (but for the final boss). The visuals are stunning. The action is really great. I particularly like the arena battles where it's all about shooting down as many as quickly as possible. And the issues with the controls were really overblown IMHO, except for the final boss, which I still have not beat. There, I'm not too happy with the controls or level design . . . or my own gaming skills!
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
If Pokémon Go is a legitimate option, I will vote for that. I still have it open when I'm walking my dog. 104 Pokemon in my pokedex so still a lot of work to do. I think it's a great game if taken lightly. I think playing it too seriously to the point it took over peoples lives meant the drop out rate was extremely high. I have to say it's only my girlfriend and I who I know that still play it. As far as I am aware, everybody I know who used to, has also sacked it off. Geeks for life yo.

If not a valid vote, Pro Evolution Soccer 2017. Best football (soccer) game out there for sure. Done a real good job this year Konami.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it’s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can’t feed the poor’

MyBeefCakes
Member Avatar
Established Member
Milage007
Dec 7 2016, 02:25 AM
If Pokémon Go is a legitimate option, I will vote for that. I still have it open when I'm walking my dog. 104 Pokemon in my pokedex so still a lot of work to do. I think it's a great game if taken lightly. I think playing it too seriously to the point it took over peoples lives meant the drop out rate was extremely high. I have to say it's only my girlfriend and I who I know that still play it. As far as I am aware, everybody I know who used to, has also sacked it off. Geeks for life yo.

If not a valid vote, Pro Evolution Soccer 2017. Best football (soccer) game out there for sure. Done a real good job this year Konami.
I'm still playing Pokemon Go on my way to the train station every morning, and even with the massive dropout its a nice blast of freshness that NIantic are still keeping it up to date and constantly working on it :)
NoPlaceLikeLocalHost

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
Guys, this is GOTY home console, so no, Pokemon GO! is not eligible for this award. The Staff is currently reviewing mobile games being eligible for GOTY handheld.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Fair enough. PES 2017 for me then.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know it’s funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but can’t feed the poor’

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
Despite knocking out my fair share of games this year I didn't play too many of 2016's titles so I'm going with Battlefield 1. It was fantastic fun, albeit short in the campaign.

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
Overwatch for me =)
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Jsboger
Member Avatar
Established Member
Sadly the only new game I have played this year is BF1 so I will also vote for that.
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!

DeeMoney
Member Avatar
Outback Adventurer
Giving some love for Uncharted 4. If you have a ps4 then IMO this is a must buy. Brilliant story, visuals and gameplay :yeah:
Nintendo Network ID - DeeMoney19
PSN Network ID - hallxx81xx
Xbox Live Gamertag - DeeMoney 2K19

Posted Image

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Just like the handhelds, I didn't play many games released this year. In fact, I only have two games to choose from as far as home consoles go. Which one do I choose? Well, on one hand, there's Star Fox Zero and I completely agree with bluedogrulez on what he's said about the game. It truly is an underrated gem trashed by people who just couldn't get used to the controls. The truth is this isn't your standard "pick up and play" Star Fox game and it was never designed with that in mind. This is a game you have to take your time with. Learn how it works. Unfortunately, too many people were unwilling to do that and it bombed in sales. Tragic. I've played this game through to the end and I can safely say it's a blast to play once you know how. But, despite SF0 being a lot of fun for me, there is one game that has pretty much taken over what little free time I have these days and, because of that, I have to give my vote to WWE 2K17 on Xbox One.

Talk about taking one giant moon leap in the right direction! Issues with the last game addressed. New or returning additions that, as far as I'm aware, all were for the better (except for late reversals making your opponent unable to reverse... that was dumb). More options for created superstars, more match types, a better universe mode and a MyCareer mode worth playing. This game has it all! The WWE games have been a yearly tradition for me since Smackdown vs. RAW 2008 (with the exception of the terrible 2K15), but this is the first time since maybe 2K14 that I've been completely addicted to a wrestling game. How could it not get my vote? :yeah:
Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
Gotta go with Overwatch! :wub:
Posted Image

floorcat
Member Avatar
Nintendo sixty-floorcat :P
Of the 20 or so games I've played this year, only 3-4 were actually released this year. Uncharted 4 would so easily go into that top spot for so many, and while I thought it was a truly amazing experience, so polished in absolutely every way, it was ultimately a very predictable experience... the graphics, story, and gameplay were all born of the same extremely high pedigree that Naughty Dog has become known for, and anything less would be a travesty.

That said, the one gaming experience that has shown me the possibilities of an incredible new gaming space (by pretty much literally giving me the sensation of flying) is Eagle Flight... a beautiful "eagle simulator" in VR, where one takes to the skies over a nature-reclaimed post-apocalyptic Paris. I'm only about 1/3rd of the way through the game, but I already know that it is my Game of 2016. :wub:
Now Playing: Clash Royale (mobile), The Swapper, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Project CARS, Uncharted 4 Survival Mode ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
Going to give the nod to Uncharted 4. :)

Only took four games to get the final boss battle just right.
Edited by The White Falcon, Dec 28 2016, 10:37 PM.

The Red Shadow
Member Avatar
The Seeker
I have to switch my game of the year vote to The Last Guardian. I knocked it out today and it was a beautiful game and story. Battlefield 1 and Rise of the Tomb Raider get honorable mentions as they were also standouts this year.

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Uncharted 4 gets my vote, really enjoyed it
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I'll go with Starfox Zero.

A special mention to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. It would win 'Most anticipated game' for sure. Watch out 2017!
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
The poll will be up shortly. 4 games made it in do to a tie for the 3rd spot.

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
ZetaBoards gives you all the tools to create a successful discussion community.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
« Previous Topic · Prior Awards · Next Topic »
Add Reply