Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Toy Story 2; December Game of the Month
Topic Started: Dec 2 2016, 03:31 PM (310 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Glad to say Toy Story 2 is finally our winner. It had gotten increasing support over the last couple of months.

I never played it, but it looked like a solid game from everything I saw. Anxious to hear what made it special for some of you.

***Also - next month will be our annual top 20 open month for Game of the Month. So you all be thinking of what to nominate***
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
We did it lads :dance: !!! I played the game for the first time in nearly 15 years back on October 13th. Completed it 100% too.
Posted Image

It's a pretty easy game. I think it's one of the highest quality licensed games on the n64, but by normal 3D platformer standards I think it's slightly below average. I respect the team who made this game for not just rushing out a terrible game knowing the kids would buy it no matter what. It is still a game that was made relatively quickly but it does the job of a licensed game respectably. It's got decent enough controls, content, and platforming that kids would get a good deal of entertainment with it. I just can't help but think how cool this game would be if it was of the quality of a game like Banjo-Kazooie. The characters are one of the best parts of the films and it sucks that you don't really interact with any of them. I like the contrast of the small character in the huge real world environments, but some of the later levels have dull layouts. I still think the king of licensed games, at least as far as 3D platformers go, is Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom, but this ones alright.

Also can someone explain to me what in the name of god almighty the sound effect on the save screen is supposed to be? Anyone who's played it knows what I mean.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Dec 2 2016, 03:47 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image I only partially like some of you
Posted Image The award I will forever be most proud of
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
A woohooo! It is a good playthrough. It was my girlfriend who mentioned it was a game she played in her household growing up (PS1 version) and she said it was enjoyable. When I bought the 64 version I wasn't disappointed. Yes it is easy (relatively), although don't be fooled by this, working that camera at times can still be testing and working out how to defeat things. As my girlfriend isn't fond of the N64 controller we have the PS1 version as well and this has some advantages over the 64 version but the 64 version retains most of the game's qualities. It's a nice looking game and must play for any fan of the franchise.

I never actually completed the game so will have to get some time to do this but I completed a fair few of the levels and I fully enjoyed them.
Edited by Milage007, Dec 2 2016, 04:29 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Cabanon
Elite
only level that gave me trouble was the rocket one. I was never able to reach the top.

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@Cabanon,
that level is very nerve wracking!
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Toy Story 2 is a lazy port of the PS1 version, like other Disney platforms. But it's not a bad game.
Graphically it looks a PS1 game, it's just a bit more "slick", and cameras are very annoying sometimes. The PS1 version has FMVs, instead of the blurry cutscreens of the N64 version.
The game is very easy but some parts can be tricky enough to let you enjoy the game. I liked the varied environments and the levels design.
Of course there are so many better platforms on the console. But this game can give you some nice moments.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Jsboger
Member Avatar
Established Member
It finally won!! I will have to give this game a try after reading some of these posts.
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
italia64
Dec 3 2016, 05:52 AM
The PS1 version has FMVs, instead of the blurry cutscreens of the N64 version.
True, but the n64 version did bring us this gem
Posted Image

I know I'm really mature.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Dec 3 2016, 03:46 PM.
Posted Image

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Hey look! A game I actually own! ... buuuuut I've only played about 10 minutes of it just to see if it worked. >_< From what I played, though, it seems like a solid 3d platformer with one huge flaw: the camera. Simply put, it's awful even for it's time. Still, I'd like to play through the game properly sometime so I can give my complete thoughts on it.
Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
EnvyFox
Dec 10 2016, 11:58 AM
Hey look! A game I actually own! ... buuuuut I've only played about 10 minutes of it just to see if it worked. >_< From what I played, though, it seems like a solid 3d platformer with one huge flaw: the camera. Simply put, it's awful even for it's time. Still, I'd like to play through the game properly sometime so I can give my complete thoughts on it.
Go into the options and change the camera from active camera to passive camera. That fixes most of the camera issues because it will stop trying to move on its own.
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply