Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What if the N64 was disk based?; Alternative reality!
Topic Started: Dec 12 2016, 04:54 PM (430 Views)
Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
RLJA42
Sep 12 2017, 04:41 PM
But you have to keep in mind, the expansive levels in Super Mario 64 would not have been possible. Nor would slopes and terrain changes, which the PS1 couldn't handle (Just look at the Spyro games- everything is flat!)
I don't think that has much(if anything at all) to do with the media, and more with PSX's internal hardware.

DABOMBEVERYPLAY is right. Of course the N64 was the better one hardware-wise, but the cartridge format drew a huge limit for it's developers, hence why many hopped over to Sony.

Nintendo can claim anything they want, but anyone who knows Nintendo and their (legal) history knows that the choice was 95% out of fear of piracy/copyright infringement (only recently pirated N64 games are popping up, it took 20 years so good job on that, Nintendo!).

Of course, I love the way the N64 was/is and wouldn't want it any other way, but that's mostly nostalgia talking there.
Retrospectively, from a business point of view, it's most definitely a missed chance.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Vaettur
Member Avatar
Established Member
I'm pretty sure the CDi and (SNES + Sony) Playstation is a chapter before that, before Nintendo even started development on the 64.

I don't think the N64 being disk-based or not has any relation to the "innovation" of the Wii and all following products.

The GC was pretty much on par with the other systems of it's generation, that being the PS2, Xbox and DC.
It's the fact that Nintendo didn't choose to go technologically forward with it's new console (Wii) and instead chose for a new way of playing games, reaching a totally new (and totally different) type of audience. The Wii's success is not thanks to it's technology and top notch games, but because grandma and friends bought one too. The WiiU was pretty much a flop. It's now Switch's turn...

By always being technologically a generation behind (since the Wii), they're making the same mistake as not using disks for the N64. All Xbox and PS consoles share similar architecture, with (apart from some exclusive titles) games released on both systems. But not on Nintendo's consoles, since it's inferior in a technological aspect (or they get released a generation too late, e.g. Skyrim, Batman).

Don't misunderstand me, I love Nintendo and their innovation. I'm just saying that it's possible to be innovative AND technically on par with it's generation (something that could have saved the WiiU). A missed chance.

My apologies for the off-topic banter. :whistle:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply