Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What if the N64 was disk based?; Alternative reality!
Topic Started: Dec 12 2016, 04:54 PM (540 Views)
Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Well its hard to say how much would have changed back then if both consoles used disks, and I don't know much about each systems architecture outside of the media format, But i do know that if the n64 had used disks, games like Super Mario 64 and Body Harvest may have had terrible loading issues that could have made the games tedious to play. Just imagine Mario 64 with load times. If it was still just as difficult to develop for then third parties would have still preferred PlayStation so the n64 would have turned out the same just with worse loading times. Of course it's all history now and I'm glad the n64 and ps1 were so different.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'm not one for getting into 20 year old console war arguments. Not that this question is always about that, but when people bring up cartridges being the N64's downfall it bores me because it's such a dead horse, and it annoys me because it doesn't matter anymore. I get that at the time the decision cost Nintendo a lot of good 3rd party support leading to bad game droughts and some games used smaller cartridges even if they would have benefited from more storage, but it's 2017 so I think it's a pointless argument now.

While discs may have been more profitable for Nintendo to try, cartridges kept the N64 unique that generation which is good for historical value and the few unique experiences N64 could only offer in those first 2-3 years. Even something simple like Mischief Makers, a game with a speedrun based ranking system, benefited from the instant load times for replaying levels. That's not including all the big game worlds with little to no loading and the advanced platform physics in Mario 64 and dozens of other examples. I'm not saying it was a perfect console but cartridges are part of it's identity and that's all that really matters now.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Sep 13 2017, 10:26 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply