Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Foxdata LTD
Topic Started: Dec 14 2016, 04:43 PM (5,700 Views)
Conker69
Foxdata Ltd

The chrome controllers and console were the first things done the colours were chrome, gold, copper, electric blue. There were 15 of each the gold, bronze, chrome controllers made. Electric blue is the rarest less then 10 were made. Unfortunately they never released the chrome colours in the stores because there was a problem with the acidity released from holding them which affected the chrome.

Here is an original copy of the chrome ad
They were selling the full chrome set for $400.

Posted Image

Here's a couple photos of the gold controller he had his secretary check their back room but she was only able to find a few things the first being a Gold controller in the box. Here are a couple photos of it.

As we've seen before they just put a sticker on the box to distinguish the colour.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now for the other controllers (Desert Storm, Chrome Leopard, Purple Forrest, Red Rain) they were given approx 800 controllers in total to customize so the theory we had of 500 of each is wrong. Here's a photo of my set.

Posted Image

He had this mahogany console done for himself here are a couple photos of it this is the only one that was ever done. Along with this he had a desert storm console done I do not have photos of it yet.

Posted Image

Posted Image

They also were going to do an array of custom ps1 controllers but that never came to fruition and this is the only controller that was ever done other then 10 stealth black ps1 consoles and controllers that were done for a UK gaming magazine.

Posted Image

For now this is all the information I have I will update it as I acquire more hope you all enjoy and if you would like me to ask him any questions I will gladly.

Edited by Conker69, Dec 14 2016, 08:47 PM.
Just a simple guy with an average collection.
Offline Profile Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Wow. Congratulations on getting such an exclusive!
I suppose it would be commonplace to ask for more of the backstory behind the company, especially since there has been accounts that another company had taken the original location over.

Perhaps a better description of the processes used in making the controllers would be very interesting. :yeah:

Also, can you share the link to your original video?
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Houghton0609
Very exciting! Look forward to the update
Offline Profile Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
It would be interesting to know if the choice in controller color was specific or random?

I have ran into a few examples of different controller colors used for a few of the designs. (i.e. Desert Storm)
Edited by No64DD, Dec 14 2016, 06:43 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Conker69
Hi Kelly ,
Hope you a had a great Christmas and wishing you all the best for 2017.
Sorry not to write back sooner, but with Christmas and other commitments, I've been rather busy.
Regarding the questions some of the members have put forward, I'll try to answer as many as possible, starting with

1: how did Foxdata come to be and when?
Foxdata was founded around late 1996-1997
As a result of hearing Nintendo would be releasing a new 64 bit machine.
Being a hardcore gamer from an early age with my first home console the Atari cx 2600
The one made of wood lol!! So let's just say I've had every console that came out back then, now on seeing the first pictures of the N64 the idea came to me , how cool would that machine look in chrome!!
Now being in the plating business , I made a separate entry in our manufacturing plant which at that time, we were plating badges and other components for car manufacturers ,Aston Martin , Jaguar and so forth, so we stripped the n64 down to its shell, and used a similar process that was already being used on our car components.

2: where was the process being done ?
We had a plant in the U.K. And another in Greece.

3: why where the chrome controllers not marketed?
Originally we had no intention of doing controllers, so we made chrome machines which we placed a full page advertisement in Edge magazine , showing a chrome machine with the title (Be the first be original!)
Which in 1997 we really were the first to show the world that you could increase sales, if you enhanced the appearance of a product.
We placed just a uk telephone number for enquiries.
Well the rest is history , the phone wouldn't stop ringing from all over the world , they all wanted to know how to get this machine.
We had editors of big uk news papers wanting to feature the machine and much more.
We offered a service, in which you could have your own machine chromed for a fee and also you could buy the machine from us , we had US machines and pal for the uk market.
From memory we sold a couple of machines to buyers in the USA and 6-8 in the uk
We also did competition machines for the various magazines at the time in the uk and abroad.

4: chrome controllers?
Not long after releasing the chrome N64,
We thought it looked odd with boring grey controllers, so we also made the four colours that you see in the various competition images in the magazines.
All the controllers where either imported from all over Europe and the USA and Japan so some will have ferrous coils on the cables
We sold the four chrome colours as a complete package with the n64 which we shipped to customers around the world and U.K. Hence why once in a while a controller comes up for sale but very rarely as we did not release these in stores, the reason we did not proceed in supplying the stores was the process was too time consuming and some early manufacturing problems with durability at the start caused us to rethink, so the best decision was to stop production, as it would have interfered with our automotive manufacturing at the time, although we had huge potential orders from the virgin stores who wanted us to supply them 50,000 controllers a week!

5: why did we then go on to produce the second series?
Simply the process was quicker and could fit into to our other automotive business at the time.
The process used was similar to the home kits being offered today which is hydro printing on water, but we did the foxdatas using state of the art industrial machinery that we were already using for the inside components for our car maufacturers.

Regarding some of the customs I've seen on your forum done by zoki64 they are amazing , but would be far to expensive to produce on a large scale which is why his work is worth every penny! He is extremely talented and his finish is top grade! I'm sure in years to come his work will be highly Collectible and priced to suit.

6: where Nintendo aware of foxdata?
We had our lawyers draft a letter and sent it to there offices, we never got a reply , but was secretly told by someone in Nintendo that they had no qualms with us customising there controllers as it increased there sales, funny thing is once they noticed our gold controller, they shortly released there own official gold one, which we are certain was as a result of foxdata.
The only thing was that they manufactured there official controllers in gold spray finish which is not the same as real chrome effect, probably due to costs and time as I stated earlier.

7: where any other console or controller designs planned?
Yes we also did some fun machines, like the one I had made for me in mahogany, also rumble packs in the chrome colours and various games cartridges to complement the machines.
We also did the consoles in the chrome colours silver , gold ,copper, electric blue
And also some other designs.

8: how many foxdata series 2 ( chrome leopard...etc were produced?
Roughly around 200 of each can't be certain on this possibly more.
Distribution was handled by a company called CMT in Leeds who where a games distributer at the time who had contacted foxdata regarding distribution , it was done on a small scale and I don't have more information on stores they sold too.

9: why did foxdata stop producing the controllers?
The simple answer to this, is the demand worldwide for these custom controllers was huge from the start, not only the uk market but worldwide!
We simply would not have been able to customise hundreds of thousands of controllers. a big problem was Nintendo would not sell us just the empty shells, so we had to buy in the controllers from various distributors, this was time consuming and expensive, further you have to dismantle and reassemble the controllers, again a large workforce was needed, the answer was a full scale multimillion pound investment and factory equipment labour etc, as a result of my current commitments with the automotive trade , I took the decision to cease trading the foxdata name and products and promised myself I would come back to it in the future so as not to let down the gamers that believed in the worlds first custom Nintendo.

10: are you aware of how popular the foxdata controllers have become ?
I always knew that they were special as we were the first to market 20 years ago
And I had seen the response we had from our first advertisement, I've seen the series 2 controllers from time to time over the years become rarer and rarer and the price shoot up , which is fortunate for those buyers that bought them when they were £39.99 in 1997

11: will foxdata produce more series 2?
Unfortunately we will not be producing any more.

12: will foxdata produce any series 1 chrome controllers?
Unfortunately no.

13: does foxdata still exist today ?
Foxdata exists today and it's manufacturing plants, and is just one of many companies under our main company but is dormant at present.

14: what are foxdatas future plans?
Going forward into 2017 we are in talks with my team of a possible new release of controllers or machines for the new Nintendo switch which I will update you on in the near future.

15: does foxdata have any items for sale ?
Foxdata over the years have received enquiries regarding the possibility of purchasing old stock for there collections.

We will be making available, chrome n64 consoles and some in electric blue, which were our showroom testing machines and various promotional.
They will be pal machines and possibly some US, but I guess it's not a problem if there for display purposes.
Also controllers in all the chrome colours
And also rumble packs.
As the controllers were used in some gaming competitions and then returned to us , expect the joysticks to have some play in them, we have checked the condition of the chrome colours and they are all in excellent condition.
As you are aware that the chrome series where the first and are extremely rare, this will be reflected in the price , we thought this is only fair so as not to devalue the prices being paid for the second series (dessert storm etc..
The controllers are limited in numbers and varied , priority will be given to collectors who want the full sets first.
They will be available on eBay , under the foxdata Ltd name.

Also an instagram acct , is active which will have photos of all the chrome series and any future ventures for 2017
All serious buyers can contact my personal assistant through instagram or email : foxdataltd@gmail.com

I hope I have corrected some of the Incorrect information the many collectors have had over the years.

I'll be in touch when the chrome series will be available, sometime in 2017
Edited by Conker69, Dec 29 2016, 01:29 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@conker: Wow! Who is your source and how did you come into contact?
Into
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Controller Collecting Extraordinaire
What a fantastic post and the photos are awesome! Especially the pictures of the boxed Gold controller!

Acidity released which effected the chrome? Wow... dangerous... kinda cool... haha!

Edit: In my excitement I read it incorrect, I think the actual interpretation is that our hands, when we sweat from playing games, produce moisture that would (over time) be acidic and corrode the paint job of the customized paint-jobs that FoxData produced. I guess these controllers are better left to be displayed-only and not played with ;)
Edited by ddr2nite, Dec 15 2016, 07:34 AM.
Posted ImageClick here to check out my N64 collection.
N64 Controllers: 30/30 Completed | ASCII Controllers: 15/15 Completed
N.A. Boxes: 8/8 Completed | Japan Boxes: 21/21 Completed
Full NTSC-J CIB Set: 198/198 Completed

"trust me, we all started with just one or two games
and then things kinda got out of hand
" - MK II
Offline Profile Goto Top

Conker69
bluedogrulez
Dec 14 2016, 07:15 PM
@conker: Wow! Who is your source and how did you come into contact?
Into
My source is the CEO and founder of foxdata. He watched my YouTube video about my set of foxdatas found me on Instagram and contacted me told me his name and I added him on Facebook which is where he sent me all the photos. Foxdata is not his only company. Here is a screenshot obliviously I have blurred his name as I do not want him getting a million messages since he reached out to me.

Posted Image
Edited by Conker69, Dec 14 2016, 08:21 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@Conker69,
what you've done, and are doing is unprecedented. Unprecedented!

From the GOLD controller image(s), it has a rubber "kludge"; meaning that the controller underneath was an in the vicinity 1st issue UK N64 launch controller. MADE IN JAPAN.
Edited by No64DD, Dec 14 2016, 09:03 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Wow! Shame this stuff never materialized because that Electric Blue controller is sick! Can't wait to see more pictures. Neat stuff you've got here Conker :yeah:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Conker69
I did find one more thing. If you google the phone number it brings you to an article on ign from 1997. Here's the link for anyone interested.

http://m.ca.ign.com/articles/1997/06/06/chrome-your-n64
Edited by Conker69, Dec 14 2016, 08:54 PM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Houghton0609
Awesome stuff this has blown my mind!!!

The original advert, the controllers all have grey plugs and no "kludge" Where as that gold is a black pad and rubber kludge.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Disco_Stu
Member Avatar
I have some photos of the bronze edition from an ebay auction earlier this year - not sure whether they have been posted here before. I can share them if anyone is interested.
Stu
Offline Profile Goto Top

Houghton0609
Lets see them disco
Offline Profile Goto Top

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
This is awesome Conker thanks for sharing. Great story that the CEO sourced your video out and actually made the first move.
Edited by Milage007, Dec 15 2016, 05:12 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí
Offline Profile Goto Top

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
thanks for the info. a friend shared it with me, where you the one that posted it on Facebook? lol... because then.. you had a pm =p

One last thing... from a forum-mate-perspecitve i`ll be honest at you,

the CEO of foxdata just introduced himself to you by heart. the freaking CEO. and the first thing you replied " have controllers? " to be honest mate. you could have introduced yourself as well.. and how awesome he was to make those foxdata controllers..

just saying mate
Edited by Vinyl, Dec 15 2016, 05:57 AM.
https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Vinyl
Dec 15 2016, 05:50 AM
the CEO of foxdata just introduced himself to you by heart. the freaking CEO. and the first thing you replied " have controllers? " to be honest mate. you could have introduced yourself as well.. and how awesome he was to make those foxdata controllers..
Haha I think he was just excited and asked the question that all of us (controller collectors anyways) were wondering! >:-]

I personally really REALLY want to see pictures of the metallic/electric blue controller.

" - MK II
Offline Profile Goto Top

Disco_Stu
Member Avatar
Here we go:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Stu
Offline Profile Goto Top

Conker69
Vinyl
thanks for the info. a friend shared it with me, where you the one that posted it on Facebook? lol... because then.. you had a pm =p

One last thing... from a forum-mate-perspecitve i`ll be honest at you,

just saying mate
Yeah I could have but man I was in shock that he messaged me. He seems like a very humble man and he is willing to answer anything we'd like to know about his company. I have asked him a few more questions and am eagerly waiting for his reply.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Intendall64
Member Avatar
I think this is incredible and I can't wait to see what else you find out from this legend!

One other thing I will say is that even though they were given 800 to customise, people also had the option of sending their controllers in. So there are likely to be more out there.

Edited by Intendall64, Dec 15 2016, 08:06 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Conker69
Intendall64
Dec 15 2016, 08:05 AM
I think this is incredible and I can't wait to see what else you find out from this legend!

One other thing I will say is that even though they were given 800 to customise, people also had the option of sending their controllers in. So there are likely to be more out there.

Yes but from what he's told me I don't think many people sent their own controllers into them. I could see maybe another 100 but that's just a guess I can ask him if he has any idea how exactly how many were sent in.
Offline Profile Goto Top

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
@Conker69: Thanks for the backstory . . . so interesting! It is soooo very good to have more information about these highly coveted (and mysterious) controllers. And I think you handled yourself just fine. He was contacting you to share a bit about his creations and you shared your enthusiasm for them, which I'm sure he appreciated.

And hey, if he ever wants to share more of his story, the full story, or anything else, there are so many here at www.N64Forever.com that would be eager to hear it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Houghton0609
I wonder why the mahogany console is a usa variant, and not a euro?
With foxdata being a uk company, must of been that paint before they were even released over here.
ddr2nite
Dec 15 2016, 07:31 AM
Vinyl
Haha I think he was just excited and asked the question that all of us (controller collectors anyways) were wondering! >:-]

I personally really REALLY want to see pictures of the metallic/electric blue controller.
I would like to see a genuine picture of the metallic console and 4 pads, set out like in the original advert.
Edited by Houghton0609, Dec 15 2016, 08:53 AM.
Offline Profile Goto Top

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
From the Mahogany example, it looks like they took the labels off before undergoing the FoxData process. This is why there is some peeling of the label from where it was first removed. Maybe it was easier to get an NTSC console than it was to wait for the European release.

Houghton0609
Dec 15 2016, 08:49 AM
Houghton0609
Dec 15 2016, 01:42 AM

The original advert, the controllers all have grey plugs and no "kludge" Where as that gold is a black pad and rubber kludge.
I would like to see a genuine picture of the metallic console and 4 pads, set out like in the original advert.
You brought up a good point, but advertising is meant to look a certain way. It catches the eye better than it would actually having 4 rubber Kludges sticking out.
Edited by No64DD, Dec 15 2016, 10:38 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cabanon
Elite
man do I want to know if there's any left over stock for sale !
Offline Profile Goto Top

ddr2nite
Member Avatar
Cabanon
Dec 15 2016, 09:46 AM
+1 for me... (more like +1000 haha) :yeah:

" - MK II
Offline Profile Goto Top

Conker69
Cabanon
From what he's told me all that he has are the photos I've posted. They are looking in the back room to see if they can locate anything else. He has also asked his factory manager if he still has any of the prototypes they did or anything. I do have first dibs on everything if and when he decides to sell and if he is able to locate multiples of things I will put them here for sale first.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Intendall64
Member Avatar
I'm confused. I was under the impression Foxdata went into liquidation? Has the guy started a new company under a different name?
Offline Profile Goto Top

Conker69
@Intendall: Foxdata is one of many companies he has under one main name.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cabanon
Elite
Conker69
Dec 15 2016, 10:32 AM
Cabanon
From what he's told me all that he has are the photos I've posted. They are looking in the back room to see if they can locate anything else. He has also asked his factory manager if he still has any of the prototypes they did or anything. I do have first dibs on everything if and when he decides to sell and if he is able to locate multiples of things I will put them here for sale first.
agreed my man, after all, being contacted by a CEO is not something that happens everyday. hopefully they still ahve some :yeah:
Offline Profile Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register Now
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: