Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Super Smash Bros; January Game of the Month
Topic Started: Jan 1 2017, 10:50 AM (1,394 Views)
stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
Super Smash Bros won our Game of the Month vote off by a healthy margin.

It is a title that I truly was not interested in back when it came out. In 2001 I found out that my wife and her family loved the game. They played it every weekend when they got together. Soon, I was joining them. They were seasoned pros though, and I was a green rookie. Playing as Link, I got my butt handed to me weekly, and NEVER won a single game we played :lol: I found the game to be enjoyable though, even in defeat.

In the years after, we moved on to playing the follow ups on Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U. On Gamecube I still never won a battle. I used both Link and Ganondorf. My wife used Kirby, her twin used Pikachu, and my bro in laws used Mario and Donkey Kong primarily.

Now we play on the Wii U when we get together. Last year about this time, I won my first battle ever against them. I have won a good bit since as well. I still use Link and Ganondorf some, but Little Mac became my favorite. I make them hate him, and I enjoy my sweet revenge :yeah:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KnightlyGaming
Member Avatar
In my opinion the best part about smash bros is the ability to enjoy the game no matter what level of skill you're at. You can hop in as a new player and just enjoy some simple game play or if you're a pro there is plenty of mastery to be found here. Great game and will definitely live on as one of the best, and most fun, fighting games ever.
Posted Image

DABOMBEVERYPLAY
Member Avatar
The best fighting game on the N64 and no one on this planet can or will dispute that. Granted it's only competition is a couple :pottymouth: MK ports and a meh Clayfighter..

Just the novelty of having Mario beat up Pikachu sets this game apart from many others. This one gets outshined by Melee but it truly started one of the best series Nintendo's ever had. Here's to you, Smash Bros. May we forever Falcon Punch Pink Puffballs.
Favorite Game: Super Mario 64

Favorite Level: Hazy Maze Cave

Least Favorite Level: Dire, Dire Docks

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Totally agree, I voted for it. Great multiplayer game and the solo campaign is enjoyable as well. Very good on 4 player with friends. As stated, nothing else on the system can come close, as unfortunately, there isn't much competition. I agree also that the novelty of playing with some of your favourite characters and the familiar maps and weapons etc make for an awesome experience.
Edited by Milage007, Jan 1 2017, 01:06 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I could try and dispute it but everyone might string me up for it. . . . :unsure: Well here it goes. I'm gonna say it. I unironically prefer Fighter's Destiny and I'll fight to death for its honor!

Artists representation of Shellshocker18 Fighting for Fighters Destiny's honor

:dk: :yoshirider: :yoshirider: :mariorun: :fireballmario: <== N64ever forum, Me ==> :sonic:

Well anyway that's beside the point. More people have enjoyed Smash over the years so I concede that it's the better game. Besides I really love the original Smash Brothers despite it being the last of the smash series that I got around to playing. One thing I love is that the multiplayer ai in this game doesn't have frame perfect reactions so the single player doesn't feel cheap or tedious. The combat works amazingly well on the n64's 2 button controller and the whole game feels closer to a traditional fighter than the sequels do which gives it a unique and still important place in the series. But of course it still has all the wacky items and stages for a fun multiplayer game too.

My only complaint is probably the lack of a single player final destination stage or an f-zero and Earthbound stage. The small roster and move sets make it so easy to pIay and have fun with. Nintendo were really good at plugging the holes in its library during the n64 era, they got an rpg with Paper Mario and an innovative fun fighting game outta Smash Brothers. Unlike the former though, this series never went downhill in popularity and is still one of Nintendo's greatest success's.

If only James Bond and Banjo-Kazooie would have made it in. That would have been killer
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 1 2017, 01:49 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I also think Killer Instinct Gold is a top notch fighter, but only if you are into that sort of thing.

This game is amazing if you have the right crowd to play it with, no doubt about it.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I didn't really care for Super Smash Bros. when it was originally released because I was too heavy in to "hardcore" fighting games at the time. SSB didn't have the technical gameplay of Street Fighter II or the visceral appeal or Tekken for me and my friends to take it seriously at the time of its release. However, as the years have passed I've really come to appreciate the original Super Smash Bros. as a brilliant and innovative title. I like it so much that I have both the North American and Japanese cartridges in my N64 collection now.

Posted Image

I modded my Japanese copy of Smash 64 with the back plate of a North American N64 game so I can easily play it without the need of a converter.

Ultimately, what I probably like best about Super Smash Bros. is that it's as serious a game as you want it to be. Turn off items and go head-to-head with your buddy for some intense competitive action. You can also turn on the items of your choice and have a wacky fun-fest with up to three other people for a thrilling gaming party night that's sure to be a blast for all who participate.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
shellshocker, I owned and enjoyed Fighter's Destiny as well. I am not surprised to see someone mention it.

To be honest though, my favorite "fighting" games for N64 were a bit unconventional.... in the form of THQ/AKI wrestling games :yeah:

So who was your character of choice on SSB everyone?

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
stinger9142
Jan 2 2017, 12:25 PM
So who was your character of choice on SSB everyone?
I've played as Mario the most although nowadays I mostly main Kirby. Occasionally I play as Donkey Kong when I want a little more of a challenge against a friend who isn't as good at Super Smash Bros. as I am.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

DABOMBEVERYPLAY
Member Avatar
OOH I love the AKI Wrestling games to death. I don't count them as Fighting Games though, there's enough Wrestling titles to consider it it's own genre.

I always played Kirby just to Piledriver everything into oblivion.

Favorite Game: Super Mario 64

Favorite Level: Hazy Maze Cave

Least Favorite Level: Dire, Dire Docks

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I know when I was younger I used to think Jigglypuff was the worst character in melee but now Jiggs is my favorite in Melee and 64. She has such great horizontal air movement and her air dropkicks make it pretty fun to smack anyone who comes near you. I'll play as pretty much anyone though.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Hurrah! This is the second year in a row my January GOTM nomination has won! :w00t:

I actually have a story regarding Super Smash Brothers. Some time after Super Smash Bros. came out (I can't remember how long after, but I know it was before the GameCube came out here in the U.S.), I walked into a nearby pawn shop with very little pocket money looking for a super cheap game to buy when I saw Super Smash Bros. sitting behind the case for... I want to say $20. Sweet! But I didn't have the money on me, so i rushed back to my house (which was only about 10 minutes away) to beg my mom for the money to buy one of my most wanted N64 games (that commercial worked like a charm on me). I was completely expecting her to say no but, to my surprise, she pulled out a $20 and gave it to me. After thanking her, I rushed down the street towards the pawn shop with a giant smile on my face, but that quickly faded as I saw one of my best friends and his step-brother walking from the direction of the pawn shop with an N64 cartridge in the brother's hand.

"Look what we got!" the brother said as he held the N64 cart up for me to look at. Sure enough, it was the copy of Super Smash Bros. I was just on my way to buy. My heart sank so low I could feel it squish under my feet with every step. I had to fake being happy for them when, in my head, I was cursing my rotten luck with every swear word I knew. They did invite me to go back to their match to play with them and, of course, I wasn't gonna pass that up. It would be the closest I could get to owning my own copy of the game for a very long time.

I got over the whole situation pretty quickly. I was too busy having fun going to my friend's house whenever I could and playing against him and his brother (and anyone else at their house) in SSB. The year after I got my GameCube, I was given Super Smash Bros. Melee as a birthday present by that same friend and the original didn't get played nearly as much (if at all) after that day. Many years later, my younger brother and I (now adults) would find the original N64 game at a Goodwill for $2 along with some other games. While my brother was technically the owner of the game and the copy of Rayman 2 we got that day), it wasn't long before he just straight up gave them to me, knowing I would enjoy them a lot more than he would. It took over a decade, but I finally owned a copy of the original Super Smash Bros. which I have to this day. Even with four superior sequels, the original still finds it's way in my N64 regularly. As for who I main, I was a Mario user for a very long time and even bought a Smash Mario amiibo so i could train my very own Mario to pound me into dust in the newest games. After playing the 3DS and Wii U games online, however, I found that I did better playing as Lucario so now he's my new main. I also play as Pac-Man and Wario, but I'm not as good with them.

And I know a few users have already said this, but count me amongst them that ranks the Fighter's Destiny games as someof the best the N64 have to offer for the genre. I only own the second one, but I hear they play largely the same and it certainly gets more play than MK Trilogy or MK4 (not that those are bad games or anything).
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
This is Smash Melee, but a very well made montage of a tournament we had...over 10 years ago now 😱

Only goes for a few minutes.
https://youtu.be/sfS-RBltCHM

Has a few seconds of footage from Smash 64 I think.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
This is probably in part nostalgia talking, but after playing all the smash games over the years I keep going back to the original as my favorite. Probably the #1 reason I keep going back to the original over the others is sound direction and visual design. Kirby, Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Ness never had better voices than they did in the original. Mario and Luigi kept their voices in Melee but got new sounds for Brawl onwards and both sound really awkward. Also ever since Brawl Mario's had an angry scowl on his face that confuses me. The stages in the original are still my favorite - I scooped all of that DLC in a heartbeat when they came to 3DS and Wii U. And even though I know the Japanese version does not have them, there's something oddly satisfying about the hit sounds in the International version of the game, and that never carried over to any future release.

Lastly, I just enjoy the simpler setup of the original compared to the huge roster of, say, Smash 4. The current roster is a bit intimidating to me lol.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Agreed IB!

Especially the roster, it's not just a Smash thing, it's been in so many games these days.
So many junk characters that no one cares about and variations like Baby everyone etc in the Mario Karts.

Quality over quantity.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
It isn't Ocarina or Time, Super Mario 64 or Mario Kart 64 that keeps the N64 relevant to this day. Instead it's a wacky little fighting game that's best enjoyed on the actual Nintendo 64 hardware, as opposed to emulation, to minimize input lag during competitive matches.

If you've never seen Super Smash Bros. 64 played competitively, I strongly suggest watching some YouTube videos of Isai. In his capable hands Smash 64 becomes more than just a video game and is elevated to nothing less than art.

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
@Grizz:

A wise man once said "Don't get hit" 😀

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Smash Brothers: Episode 3 - Don't Get Hit

Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
Great video. Original Smash is by far the best for me also and 4 player mode is great fun with friends. You can't replicate that.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Consider myself really lucky to have a CIB example of Super Smash Bros. for the N64. :w00t:

Posted Image

It's in keeping with my philosophy of collecting only the games I genuinely love and intend to keep on playing in the future.

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
That's a very good philosophy to have. Looking at the Smash Bros box art reminds me just how low budget the whole thing was but there is something endearing about the amateur aspects of the visuals. The longer I look at Mario the more bootlegged he looks and the Link on the side looks like something out of a newgrounds flash animation. Speaking of weird art, the congratulations screens in the first game were original pieces of artwork instead of screeen shots and they range from epic artistic feats to something you would see on the filler pages of a strategy guide

Posted Image

Posted Image

The DK image is just the model from DkC with a first level backround slapped on and the Kirby one looks like the start of a PowerPoint, but the Jigglypuff image is a great piece of original artwork. The Yoshi image is cool too but it looks like some Salvador Dali Nightmare fuel. Who in the world made these things? For all the low budget visuals though I'm still glad the game was a smash hit. Crazy that at one point this was just a side project and Nintendo didn't think it would do well.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 15 2017, 08:16 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Jan 15 2017, 08:39 AM
It isn't Ocarina or Time, Super Mario 64 or Mario Kart 64 that keeps the N64 relevant to this day. Instead it's a wacky little fighting game that's best enjoyed on the actual Nintendo 64 hardware, as opposed to emulation, to minimize input lag during competitive matches.

If you've never seen Super Smash Bros. 64 played competitively, I strongly suggest watching some YouTube videos of Isai. In his capable hands Smash 64 becomes more than just a video game and is elevated to nothing less than art.
Yeah the competitive smash 64 scene is small compared to say Melee but it's plucky and tons of fun to watch. The only negative in my opinion is that the only legal stage right now is Dream land but that's not too big of a deal considering how great that stage is. I've thought about getting into it on a local level myself :)

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
If you've got young kids who you'd like to introduce to the thrill of fighting games, I can think of no better game than the original Super Smash Bros. to start with. It's no more violent than a cartoon and can serve as a great tool to build hand-eye coordination for future skill-based video games. I often wonder how many competitive Tekken and Street Fighter players today started out playing Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64 with their family and friends.

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I think this would be a good place to post this link: I'm trying to get involved with the smash 64 community which is small but growing (they just got one of their first sponsored players a couple days ago). There's a major tournament coming close to me in April in case anybody's interested: https://smash.gg/tournament/ssb64-league-presents-let-s-go-a-baltimore-64-major/details

Note: I hope this is okay. I thought it was since it's a public event - I think even international players are coming - but if not I'll take it down
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Jan 18 2017, 04:55 PM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
There's a big-time Smash 64 scene in the Baltimore area called Xanadu. If you don't want to play with them come down to Raleigh, NC and we can do a Smashfest at my place. However, I'm not too great at 64 anymore cuz I mostly play Project M 3.5 nowadays on the Wii. I've got all the games in the series, though, so we can play any Super Smash Bros. game you like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Xanadu's fantastic but they don't do 64 weeklies anymore. They still do some monthlies however. The more I play the more I realize I'm probably never gonna be a pro gamer but I can still have fun being a "filthy casual" :)

The real question is: do you have Rivals of Aether, Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion or King Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends? (For everyone else, I'm referring to 3 of a slew of smash bros clones that have appeared as of late. Aether's actually a really good game and a loving homage to the series from the same guy who made the Super Smash Land fan game. The other two? Not so much)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Jan 18 2017, 10:17 PM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'd never want to be a pro Super Smash Bros. player as that would drain all of the fun out of it for me. Me and my friends prefer to play on a purely casual basis.

Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Jan 19 2017, 08:26 AM
I'd never want to be a pro Super Smash Bros. player as that would drain all of the fun out of it for me. Me and my friends prefer to play on a purely casual basis.
I think that's where I stopped enjoying the games myself.
I really proffered how we played back in the day with items on and not being picky about which stages are "fair" or not.

Still, the competitive Smash scene was a way to meet lots of cool people and friends and on the side a HUGE amount of multi-player N64 gaming that otherwise wouldn't have happened.
As a matter of fact, some N64 multi-player and a BBQ may just happen in the next day or 2 😀😉

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
D.J Cat
Jan 19 2017, 11:36 AM
As a matter of fact, some N64 multi-player and a BBQ may just happen in the next day or 2 😀😉
Like the kids say, "pictures or it didn't happen". ;)

Posted Image

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
I love how super smash bros it so friendly for all skill types. My 4 year old can play with or without me. And if i need a challenge i can break some targets or pump up the computer players. Such an easy go to title.

Everyone should come play at my place though, i just got my 4th Nuby reality vest in the mail! Such a good time with smash!
"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: