Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Super Smash Bros; January Game of the Month
Topic Started: Jan 1 2017, 10:50 AM (1,105 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I didn't really care for Super Smash Bros. when it was originally released because I was too heavy in to "hardcore" fighting games at the time. SSB didn't have the technical gameplay of Street Fighter II or the visceral appeal or Tekken for me and my friends to take it seriously at the time of its release. However, as the years have passed I've really come to appreciate the original Super Smash Bros. as a brilliant and innovative title. I like it so much that I have both the North American and Japanese cartridges in my N64 collection now.

Posted Image

I modded my Japanese copy of Smash 64 with the back plate of a North American N64 game so I can easily play it without the need of a converter.

Ultimately, what I probably like best about Super Smash Bros. is that it's as serious a game as you want it to be. Turn off items and go head-to-head with your buddy for some intense competitive action. You can also turn on the items of your choice and have a wacky fun-fest with up to three other people for a thrilling gaming party night that's sure to be a blast for all who participate.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
stinger9142
Jan 2 2017, 12:25 PM
So who was your character of choice on SSB everyone?
I've played as Mario the most although nowadays I mostly main Kirby. Occasionally I play as Donkey Kong when I want a little more of a challenge against a friend who isn't as good at Super Smash Bros. as I am.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
It isn't Ocarina or Time, Super Mario 64 or Mario Kart 64 that keeps the N64 relevant to this day. Instead it's a wacky little fighting game that's best enjoyed on the actual Nintendo 64 hardware, as opposed to emulation, to minimize input lag during competitive matches.

If you've never seen Super Smash Bros. 64 played competitively, I strongly suggest watching some YouTube videos of Isai. In his capable hands Smash 64 becomes more than just a video game and is elevated to nothing less than art.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The Smash Brothers: Episode 3 - Don't Get Hit

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Consider myself really lucky to have a CIB example of Super Smash Bros. for the N64. :w00t:

Posted Image

It's in keeping with my philosophy of collecting only the games I genuinely love and intend to keep on playing in the future.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
If you've got young kids who you'd like to introduce to the thrill of fighting games, I can think of no better game than the original Super Smash Bros. to start with. It's no more violent than a cartoon and can serve as a great tool to build hand-eye coordination for future skill-based video games. I often wonder how many competitive Tekken and Street Fighter players today started out playing Super Smash Bros. on the Nintendo 64 with their family and friends.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
There's a big-time Smash 64 scene in the Baltimore area called Xanadu. If you don't want to play with them come down to Raleigh, NC and we can do a Smashfest at my place. However, I'm not too great at 64 anymore cuz I mostly play Project M 3.5 nowadays on the Wii. I've got all the games in the series, though, so we can play any Super Smash Bros. game you like.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'd never want to be a pro Super Smash Bros. player as that would drain all of the fun out of it for me. Me and my friends prefer to play on a purely casual basis.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
D.J Cat
Jan 19 2017, 11:36 AM
As a matter of fact, some N64 multi-player and a BBQ may just happen in the next day or 2 😀😉
Like the kids say, "pictures or it didn't happen". ;)

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
When you divorce yourself from the idea of having to play SSB64 competitively, you can begin to embrace the Virtual Console release on the Wii. Here's my video review of that version.

Super Smash Bros. VC

Since I don't condone piracy I often advocate for purchasing the Virtual Console version of Super Smash Bros. 64. It's cheaper than sourcing up the cartridge and is quite acceptable as long as you don't intend to play competitively. While it looks and plays fine in the 16:9 aspect ratio like I show in my video, I've since started playing all my VC games in 4:3. They just look better that way to me.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Jan 20 2017, 08:22 AM
I already have it on the vc - favorite game of the series with favorite controller probably ever :)

But yeah, I'm never gonna be full-on competitive. I can't imagine this game without items, free-for-alls, and wacky stages. But I still like going to tournaments when I can for the social aspect of it.
I've done extensive back-to-back testing between the two versions and I find the frame skips that competitive players complain about in the Virtual Console version to be negligible.

Posted Image

However, no serious N64 or Super Smash Bros. fan has a legitimate excuse not to have the Super Smash Bros. cartridge in their collection. :D

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The original Super Smash Bros. is unapologetically a product of the late 90's fighting game scene as it includes legitimate combos and powerful grabs that can eliminate an opponent's stock. This is probably why many of us fans still enjoy playing it to this day even though several sequels have been released. It's much like how many fans still play Super Street Fighter II Turbo even though the Street Fighter series is currently on its fifth installment. We know that Nintendo's next console Switch will feature 'Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers' in its lineup which is essentially the ultimate expression of SSFIIT. Wouldn't it be nice if Nintendo also released an HD redux of Super Smash Bros. 64 on the Switch? That way fans could play their favorite iteration of Smash, replete with its powerful grabs and more technical smash attacks, on modern televisions. If nothing else it would make watching footage of tournaments much easier on the eyes. :lol:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
@ItalianBaptist: I know, right. Me and my friend Steven often pick Dream Land and Hyrule Castle when we play SSBWiiU. :D

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Last day to talk about Super Smash Bros. as game of the month. So yeah, Donkey Kong is mad fun to play as in SSB64. He's slow - yes - but he's got a great spike for taking an opponent's stock if they're not careful. People who like to play with tank characters will feel right at home with DK because he can soak up plenty of abuse before becoming vulnerable to smash attacks. His up-B is versatile too so not only will it get you back on the stage but it can also be used to deal out some damage along the way.

Back when Super Smash Bros. Brawl's on-line mode was still working I often played as Donkey Kong. His power compensated nicely for the lag that was prevalent in that game. Nowadays in Sm4sh, however, I mostly play as the mischievous Wario who also happens to be the character I use most in Mario Kart 8. :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
It just so happens that I've been playing Super Smash Bros. again myself. I suspect because I wanted to see the influence that older wrestling game classics like WWF WrestleFest had on its development. There's little doubt in my mind that Smash creator Masahiro Sakurai drew as much inspiration from the wrestling genre as he did from popular arcade fighting games of the mid to late 1990's.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Aug 31 2017, 04:51 AM
I just went back to the original game's website via the internet archive's wayback machine; they referred to Kirby back then as a "huggable Goldberg" :)
:lol:

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply