Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Super Smash Bros; January Game of the Month
Topic Started: Jan 1 2017, 10:50 AM (1,096 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
This is probably in part nostalgia talking, but after playing all the smash games over the years I keep going back to the original as my favorite. Probably the #1 reason I keep going back to the original over the others is sound direction and visual design. Kirby, Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Ness never had better voices than they did in the original. Mario and Luigi kept their voices in Melee but got new sounds for Brawl onwards and both sound really awkward. Also ever since Brawl Mario's had an angry scowl on his face that confuses me. The stages in the original are still my favorite - I scooped all of that DLC in a heartbeat when they came to 3DS and Wii U. And even though I know the Japanese version does not have them, there's something oddly satisfying about the hit sounds in the International version of the game, and that never carried over to any future release.

Lastly, I just enjoy the simpler setup of the original compared to the huge roster of, say, Smash 4. The current roster is a bit intimidating to me lol.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Grizzmeister
Jan 15 2017, 08:39 AM
It isn't Ocarina or Time, Super Mario 64 or Mario Kart 64 that keeps the N64 relevant to this day. Instead it's a wacky little fighting game that's best enjoyed on the actual Nintendo 64 hardware, as opposed to emulation, to minimize input lag during competitive matches.

If you've never seen Super Smash Bros. 64 played competitively, I strongly suggest watching some YouTube videos of Isai. In his capable hands Smash 64 becomes more than just a video game and is elevated to nothing less than art.
Yeah the competitive smash 64 scene is small compared to say Melee but it's plucky and tons of fun to watch. The only negative in my opinion is that the only legal stage right now is Dream land but that's not too big of a deal considering how great that stage is. I've thought about getting into it on a local level myself :)

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I think this would be a good place to post this link: I'm trying to get involved with the smash 64 community which is small but growing (they just got one of their first sponsored players a couple days ago). There's a major tournament coming close to me in April in case anybody's interested: https://smash.gg/tournament/ssb64-league-presents-let-s-go-a-baltimore-64-major/details

Note: I hope this is okay. I thought it was since it's a public event - I think even international players are coming - but if not I'll take it down
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Jan 18 2017, 04:55 PM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Xanadu's fantastic but they don't do 64 weeklies anymore. They still do some monthlies however. The more I play the more I realize I'm probably never gonna be a pro gamer but I can still have fun being a "filthy casual" :)

The real question is: do you have Rivals of Aether, Cartoon Network: Punch Time Explosion or King Fu Panda: Showdown of Legendary Legends? (For everyone else, I'm referring to 3 of a slew of smash bros clones that have appeared as of late. Aether's actually a really good game and a loving homage to the series from the same guy who made the Super Smash Land fan game. The other two? Not so much)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Jan 18 2017, 10:17 PM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
stinger9142
Jan 2 2017, 12:25 PM
So who was your character of choice on SSB everyone?
With all the talk about competitive I forgot to mention who my main was :lol:

The character I use most of the time is Pikachu - Pokemon was a huge thing for me (still is) and Pikachu was definitely my favorite from the beginning. It also helps that he's currently #1 on the tier list ;) I later went on to use Kirby, Samus, Link (remember when Smash Bros had only one swordsman???), Mario, and Jigglypuff in that order. I'm also currently working on Yoshi.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I already have it on the vc - favorite game of the series with favorite controller probably ever :)

But yeah, I'm never gonna be full-on competitive. I can't imagine this game without items, free-for-alls, and wacky stages. But I still like going to tournaments when I can for the social aspect of it.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
So I broke out my 64 and popped in smash bros for a couple matches after a long time away (been mainly playing VC and Wii U). It took some getting used to, especially the controller, but I had a really good time. Changing my mains to Kirby and Mario and hoping to have some friends over soon :)

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Sadly I see us getting a Melee HD Remix before a 64 remake, but the original game got a lot of love in Smash 4, especially with the DLC stages.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Curious to hear about your findings, Grizzmeister. I just went back to the original game's website via the internet archive's wayback machine; they referred to Kirby back then as a "huggable Goldberg" :)

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply