Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Super Smash Bros; January Game of the Month
Topic Started: Jan 1 2017, 10:50 AM (1,739 Views)
Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I could try and dispute it but everyone might string me up for it. . . . :unsure: Well here it goes. I'm gonna say it. I unironically prefer Fighter's Destiny and I'll fight to death for its honor!

Artists representation of Shellshocker18 Fighting for Fighters Destiny's honor

:dk: :yoshirider: :yoshirider: :mariorun: :fireballmario: <== N64ever forum, Me ==> :sonic:

Well anyway that's beside the point. More people have enjoyed Smash over the years so I concede that it's the better game. Besides I really love the original Smash Brothers despite it being the last of the smash series that I got around to playing. One thing I love is that the multiplayer ai in this game doesn't have frame perfect reactions so the single player doesn't feel cheap or tedious. The combat works amazingly well on the n64's 2 button controller and the whole game feels closer to a traditional fighter than the sequels do which gives it a unique and still important place in the series. But of course it still has all the wacky items and stages for a fun multiplayer game too.

My only complaint is probably the lack of a single player final destination stage or an f-zero and Earthbound stage. The small roster and move sets make it so easy to pIay and have fun with. Nintendo were really good at plugging the holes in its library during the n64 era, they got an rpg with Paper Mario and an innovative fun fighting game outta Smash Brothers. Unlike the former though, this series never went downhill in popularity and is still one of Nintendo's greatest success's.

If only James Bond and Banjo-Kazooie would have made it in. That would have been killer
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 1 2017, 01:49 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I know when I was younger I used to think Jigglypuff was the worst character in melee but now Jiggs is my favorite in Melee and 64. She has such great horizontal air movement and her air dropkicks make it pretty fun to smack anyone who comes near you. I'll play as pretty much anyone though.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
That's a very good philosophy to have. Looking at the Smash Bros box art reminds me just how low budget the whole thing was but there is something endearing about the amateur aspects of the visuals. The longer I look at Mario the more bootlegged he looks and the Link on the side looks like something out of a newgrounds flash animation. Speaking of weird art, the congratulations screens in the first game were original pieces of artwork instead of screeen shots and they range from epic artistic feats to something you would see on the filler pages of a strategy guide

Posted Image

Posted Image

The DK image is just the model from DkC with a first level backround slapped on and the Kirby one looks like the start of a PowerPoint, but the Jigglypuff image is a great piece of original artwork. The Yoshi image is cool too but it looks like some Salvador Dali Nightmare fuel. Who in the world made these things? For all the low budget visuals though I'm still glad the game was a smash hit. Crazy that at one point this was just a side project and Nintendo didn't think it would do well.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jan 15 2017, 08:16 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
The social aspect is the best part of 64 because it seems people take that one less seriously than the others at least around here. My local retro store had a few smash 64 tournaments where about maybe 30 people showed up so it felt like just a bunch of Bros hanging out. We ended up playing on Peach's Castle with Bumpers in the semi-finals and it was a laugh riot. We had a smash tourney for Smash 4 and the owners have told me that they never want to have another smash tournament again. A bunch of people from the nearby schools Smash club came and absolutely would not talk about anything other than smash or go easy on people who odviously weren't good at the game. After they lost they didn't even want to stick around to play some casual matches. It sucked because it was a local thing with no stakes so it was really annoying. I like the smaller crowds that Smash 64 brings in. I wish we would do another one soon.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · GoTM Archive (Gen I) · Next Topic »
Add Reply