Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Dojo - N64 Fighting Game Discussion
Topic Started: Feb 8 2017, 08:57 AM (2,332 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
All the fun of MMA but nobody gets hurt! Discuss the fighting games of the n64 here :)

More detailed introduction:
Of all the video game genres out there, my favorite has to be fighting. I did martial arts growing up so I can enjoy either the technical nature of it or the fast paced action and it's really fun both to play and to watch. I'd definitely like to be more involved in the fighting game community if I could.

As noted whenever Glenn Plant N64 reviews a fighting game on his YouTube channel, the n64 as a whole is not particularly known for the genre. On the other hand, either in spite of this or perhaps because of this, the N64 gamer saw a lot of attempts at creativity and twists on the standard fighter formula that is worth any member of the fighting game community to at least check out. So what if we never officially got Street Fighter or Tekken? (ok it's kind of a big deal but still...) I'd like this thread to be a celebration of what the N64 developers were able to accomplish in this arena (pun somewhat intended).

Personally, I'm not gonna be talking about the M-rated fighting games like Mortal Kombat, War Gods and Bio Freaks but don't let me stop you if they're good games. I played War Gods. It's not.

Right now the only fighting game I have unfortunately is Smash Bros. but here are some of the other ones I'm interested in.

Fighter's Destiny series - one of the most technical games on the system, I've heard really good things about it

Flying Dragon - this is probably the one that would satisfy my traditional fighting game fix the most on the system, again I've heard a lot of praise

Xena: The Talisman of Fate - the closest thing we have to the Soul series on the N64? This one's gotten some mixed opinions but it has its fans.

Rakuga Kids - on the more expensive side, worth importing?

Killer Instinct - I really don't know a whole lot about the series but I love the combo breaker concept. Is it gory like Mortal Kombat or what?

It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'll gladly talk about N64 fighting games more but I'm in a car right now so I don't have much time but 2 games I would recommend aside from Smash Brothers are the original Fighter's Destiny and to a lesser extent Rakuga Kids.

Fighter's Destiny is the cream of the crop when it comes to N64 Fighters
I wrote a full review for it on this site as well.
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/9004054/1/#new
It has original gamplay, smooth frame rate on all but one stage, responsive and customizable controls. It unfortunately has a really harsh difficulty curve for beginners with moves you have to unlock and characters to unlock in challenges that are straight up unfair for 99% of players. I wish more people liked it but hopefully it's popularity will increase in the future. While EnvyFox does like the sequal I would always recommend the original because Fighter Destiny 2 has lag a multiple stages,a more tedious mode for unlocking moves and random stat modifiers to customer characters so 2 people with all the moves unlocked could never have a competitive match, and new characters that don't have as much moveset diversity as the original game. Also it has the most boring fighting game announcer ever.

Rakuga Kids is just a decent game. Very decent with A+ visuals and an awesome high quality surfer rock soundtrack l. I basically wrote a review for Rakuga Kids here where the only criticisms I had were how you have to leave the game turned on for many hours unlock characters and options
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/single/?p=10004409&t=420579
It's a really simplified version of something like Street Fighter Alpha. Most people say it is floaty and yeah it is slow at first because all the characters have at least a double jump and you are supposed to use defense magic and throws to keep people on the ground. It takes getting used to but it is better than pretty much all the other 3rd party 2d fighters on the system. The menu text in the ntsc-j version is all English so that's why it costs so much to import but I'd say it's worth it. Don't treat it like a tournament level fighter just go into it expecting a fun little distraction and you'll have fun.

Also War Gods is a bit rubbish because it was made to test the new engine that they were going to use for Mortal Kombat 4. It's like another Stuntman or Tonic Trouble situation.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 8 2017, 10:43 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
I like Killer Instinct Gold a hell of a lot.

I'm even more biased these days because of how well the reboot of the series on XboxOne has gone and how far they have done with those characters and added layers and layers of backstory and new characters and yeah...
I'm a bit biased about it. 😀

I enjoy Mortal Kombat Trilogy probably more than I should for its silly fun and good multi-player memories and pick up and play pleasure.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm with Cat, Killer Instinct Gold and Mortal Kombat Trilogy are my favorite fighting games on the N64. Gold is good even as a single-player game while MKT is only enjoyable as a 2-player experience since the AI is so brutal at times.

Honorable mention goes to Mace: The Dark Age which is also fun against a human opponent.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Here is a list of all the N64 fighting games that I know of, not counting Wrestling and Boxing games

The E indicates that it was console exclusive, not including modern day rereleases

Nintendo 64 Fighting Games

Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
ClayFighter 63 1/3 [E]
ClayFighter Sculptors Cut [E]
Custom Robo [E]
Custom Robo V2 [E]
Dark Rift [E]
Deadly Arts ( G.A.S.P Fighters' NEXTreme ) [E]
Dual Heroes [E]
Fighter's Destiny [E]
Fighter Destiny 2 [E]
Flying Dragon [E]
Killer Instinct Gold [E]
Last Legion UX [E]
Mace The Dark Age [ Console Exclusive ]
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Powerpuff Girls Chemical X-Traction
Rakuga Kids [E]
SD Hiryu no Ken Densetsu ( Flying Dragon 2 ) [E]
Super Robot Spirits [E]
Super Smash Bros. [E]
Tom and Jerry Fists of Furry [E] (War of Whiskers is an updated version, enough that I say it's exclusive)
Transformers Beast Wars Transmetals
War Gods
Xena Warriors Princess The Talisman of Fate [E]

Total = 25

If I have one positive it's that most of the games are exclusives even to this day. But many of them such as Fighters Destiny 1-2, Flying Dragon 1-2, ClayFighter 63 1/3 and Sculptors Cut are sequels that are so similar it's hard to call them new games so there is less variety on display here than at first glance.

I have not played all of these games, including big ones like Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat Trilogy which clearly have fans. I am interested in some of the Japanese exclusives, specifically the updated version of Flying Dragon which only includes a revamped SD arcade mode. I've heard good things about Custom Robo and Xena Warriors is also much more fun than you would expect. Overall not a great library but there are a few fun ones on here amongst the stinkers. Even some of the Stinkers can be fun in small doses. Nothing is saving Powerpuff Girls or Transformers though. I refuse to believe any of you cheecky monkeys actually like those games.

Funny story, I actually played Mortal Kombat on N64 many years ago but left my cartridge out in a field near my house. That was nearly 15 years ago now so either someone found it, the game got swept away by the rain into the nearby creek, or it's still there buried in dirt. I'll probably never find it but I've always thought about trying. I'm just too lazy to go look. I've been wanting to play that game again some time soon because I remember it being fun.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 9 2017, 08:09 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
I really enjoy the N64 collection of fighters. This is my collection and I did leave out the Wrestling and Boxing games.

My N64 Fighting game ratings.

1. Super Smash Bros
2. Last Legion UX
3. Custom Robo
4. RakugaKids
5. Fighter Destiny 2 / Fighters Destiny (3D)
6. Flying Dragon 2 / Flying Dragon
7. Killer Instinct Gold
8. Mace the Dark Age (3D)
9. Super Robot Spirits
10. Mortal Kombat Trilogy
11. Xena Warrior Princess (3D)
12. Clay Fighters 63 1/3
13. Dark Rift (3D)
14. Tom and Jerry Fists of Furry
15. War Gods (3D) “Needs tweaking, unfinished feel.”
16. Transformers Beast Wars: Transmetals (3D) “Needs tweaking, unfinished feel.”
17. Deadly Arts (3D) “Needs tweaking, unfinished feel.”
Edited by Retro Junkie, Feb 12 2017, 06:21 PM.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Thanks Retro Junkie I forgot about Last Legion UX, it reminds me of a Dreamcast game i can't remember the name of for the life of me. An English Translation for Last Legion just wrapped up a few weeks ago so I really should sit down and give it a try soon. Also I'm glad to see you rank Rakuga Kids highly. That game makes me happy. I'm not sure if any other n64 game has as much charm as Rakuga Kids

Something I noticed today was that the game shows at least 2 characters, a skateboarder and a UFO, in the credits that I assume were planned to be in the sequal. Seemed like the developers were pretty excited about it so they showed us some of their work early. Shame that it never materialized.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 9 2017, 08:23 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Shellshocker18
Feb 9 2017, 08:20 PM
Something I noticed today was that the game shows at least 2 characters, a skateboarder and a UFO, in the credits that I assume were planned to be in the sequal. Seemed like the developers were pretty excited about it so they showed us some of their work early. Shame that it never materialized.
I'm not entirely sure that they are not in this game as secret characters...
It would be nice to play the PAL version.

RetroJunkie also made a nice list. There are several on this list that are an artform to witness on a high level if you can get 2 people who are equally matched!

Mortal Kombat Trilogy and KI GOLD are the ones that stand out the most in my opinion.
Edited by No64DD, Feb 10 2017, 08:21 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
No64DD
Feb 9 2017, 08:35 PM
I'm not entirely sure that they are not in this game as secret characters...
It would be nice to play the PAL version.
Wouldn't that be something. New characters unlocked in N64 fighting games after 19 years. I actually had the same thought of maybe they had to be unlocked by beating the story mode with all characters or on the highest CPU difficulty without dropping a round. For a moment in my head I wondered how rad I would feel if I was the discoverer. But I imagine that if the people ripping the game sprites over in the spriters resource haven't found anything they than the chances of these elusive characters existing in playable form are pretty nill.

I've actually been playing the PAL version, converted into ntsc format. It runs as perfectly as the Japanese version with the exception of the load times but I haven't noticed any differences between the two. I guess it's hard to tell with games this old and uncharted
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 9 2017, 08:52 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Well, i'll say this...
If you leave the game on for a few days, it unlocks a cheat!
How wierd is that?!
Edited by No64DD, Feb 10 2017, 08:20 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Yeah I used a gameshark but you apparently have to leave the game on for 30 hours to unlock everything but most people report that it takes longer. Maybe leaving the game on for 20 years unlocks the last 2 characters? So elusive that not even the gameshark can catch them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Spoiler: click to toggle
Edited by No64DD, Feb 10 2017, 07:09 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I bet he would have loved to be a Rakuga Kids character, not as a doodle child but just as himself.

Well, on the subject of Fighting games, Mace The Dark Age seems okay but playing against the Cpu opponents is brutal even on the easiest difficulty. The combat is okay but a bit janky then what I remember from Mk4. The executions are also really wimpy. It I guess Mk has desensatised me. Also I hate when console fighting games have time limits on the character select screen. I'm at home the timer is unnecessary.

You know what Rakuga Kids lacks besides Michael Jackson? An in game move list. That makes any fighting game way more tedious to play. Does anyone know if he manual shares the moves for each character?

Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 10 2017, 05:58 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@Shell, it does have the moves in the Rakuga Kids manual, but you can also find them online.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Shellshocker18
Feb 10 2017, 05:38 AM
Well, on the subject of Fighting games, Mace The Dark Age seems okay but playing against the Cpu opponents is brutal even on the easiest difficulty. The combat is okay but a bit janky then what I remember from Mk4. The executions are also really wimpy. It I guess Mk has desensatised me. Also I hate when console fighting games have time limits on the character select screen. I'm at home the timer is unnecessary.
Even the arcade version of Mace: The Dark Age is weak when compared to the PlayStation release of Soul Edge, but some people still stuck with it long enough to discover some devastating combos.

Mace combo and fatality video

The general consensus seems to be that Killer Instinct Gold is far and away the best legitimate fighting game on the N64. The fact that it doesn't have as many frames of animation as the arcade version Killer Instinct 2 ultimately forced many fighting game enthusiasts to view it with ambivalence, though. It's still a fun game, however, especially when you see really skilled players go at it.

Spinal (East14th) Vs. Jago (Cabdragon333) Killer Instinct 2 Casuals

N64 collectors should probably have both KI Gold and Mace in their library. I like the former well enough to have a complete example along with the SNES release of KI.

Posted Image

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I'm seeing Tom and Jerry: Fists of Furry on here and that brings back a lot of memories too. I picked up that game as quickly as I could when I was younger but I was stupid and gave it away about a year ago :P

I was never able to unlock the Team Battle mode back then - that might have improved the gameplay experience for me. What I did get to play, however, was pretty repetitive. I certainly enjoyed it when I was younger being a huge fan of Tom and Jerry and appreciating the irony of the same company producing a fighting game and the Elmo edutainment games. But it didn't age well.

It was an interesting twist on the fighting game formula by essentially giving us Mario 64 controls (A to jump, B to punch) but putting us in an arena environment. I could only play as the smaller characters though (Jerry, Tuffy, Tyke, Duckling) because the larger characters felt like wading in molasses. Also Spike basically had an infinite with just his jab combo that was really annoying. I'm sure there was some way to get out of it but I was too young and stupid to figure it out lol

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Here are all the fighting games I own for the N64.

Posted Image

Last Legion UX isn't in the picture even though I do own a copy because I don't really consider it a fighting game. It's more of an action game along the lines of Sega's Virtual On or possibly a third-person shooter like From Software's Armored Core franchise.

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
So after watching some videos and giving it some thought, I'm hopefully picking up Fighter's Destiny AND Flying Dragon soon. Good prices on Lukiegames within my budget.

Thoughts on Xena?

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
@Grizzmeister I've only ever played the new Killer Instinct but I'm glad to see that so many people got their fighting game fix on Killer Instinct Gold. Killer Instinct is fun but I've just never put enough time into it to really enjoy it. Maybe in the future. Also I won't deny that Mace can't be a fun game when you are good at it but it's a little too generic for me to ever want to put in the time to learn it. Also you didn't include Smash 64 in your picture, you trying to start something with me or did you just forget :P

@ItalianBaptist Glad to see someone interested in Flying Dargon and Fighter's Destiny because they are the 2 most unique fighters exclusive to the console and they both deserve a bit more praise, at least I know Fighter's Destiny does. I've never gotten into Flying Dragon much, it seems a bit lacking in the main fighting mechanics, but it has some fans too and I won't question their tastes.

I've said before that Xena is far better than you would expect from a licensed game but if I'm looking at it objectively it's a bit bland. What's good about Xena is that it is extremely simplistic and easy to pick up and play. Unlike many n64 fighters this game runs at a very decent frame rate which never dips and the controls are simple and respond immediately.

It only uses 4 attack buttons and the combat feels more out a hack n slash game than a fighter, probably because the PlayStation version turned out to be a hack n slash game. It has combos and juggles but they don't take much set up. You just button mash as until the preset combo plays out and then repeat. Every fight just plays out the same because it doesn't feel like there is any balance to anything and the movement is so free that the game boils down to just slash and run away when someone tries to hit you. You can parry and run up the walls to escape the corners but other than that it's really barebones.

For 5 dollars you may get a bit of multiplayer fun out of it. There is nothing horrifically wrong with it but it has 0 depth or nuance and there are no cool items or stages like in Smash to make it at least a bit random and fun.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Shellshocker18
Feb 10 2017, 12:06 PM
Also you didn't include Smash 64 in your picture, you trying to start something with me or did you just forget :P
Don't worry, I own several copies of Super Smash Bros. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@Grizz,
Killer Instinct GOLD still runs at 60FPS.

If things played out like they were planned, we would've had N64 and KI GOLD in 1995. This would have put it right between the arcade versions, but it is where i would rank it overall.

Things get really fun on Ludacris speed!
Edited by No64DD, Feb 10 2017, 12:38 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
No64DD
Feb 10 2017, 12:37 PM
@Grizz,
Killer Instinct GOLD still runs at 60FPS.
That may be but as a consequence of using a cartridge for storage Killer Instinct Gold (N64) has fewer frames of animation than Killer Instinct 2 (Arcade) that ran off a hard-drive.

Don't get me wrong, I really like KI Gold but it'd be disingenuous to say that it holds up well against other 2D console fighting games of the era like the incredible Street Fighter Alpha 3.

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Killer Instinct was more of a 2.5D franchise, but i get what you mean. :yeah:
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
I've only played Fighter's Destiny (briefly) and Smash. Most of these weren't ones I would have bought/rented back in the day.

I might pick up some of them to give them a go if they're cheap enough, but the reality is that of that era, the Saturn will always win for both selection and controller, for me at least.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The White Falcon
Feb 10 2017, 07:55 PM
I might pick up some of them to give them a go if they're cheap enough, but the reality is that of that era, the Saturn will always win for both selection and controller, for me at least.
As much as I love fighting games, I'm very surprised I never picked up a Saturn. I guess the PlayStation's wonderful lineup of 3D fighters kept me and my friends occupied at the time. I can remember playing countless hours of Tekken 3 and Soul Edge because both games were visually stunning, featured awesome soundtracks and are relatively easy to pick up and play. Heck, me and my buddy Doug even played lots of Bushido Blade because I had two PSX's linked so we could do the innovative first person view during versus matches. Ah, the memories. I really miss the 90's fighting game scene. ^_^

On the N64 I think Mortal Kombat Trilogy is highly underrated. It's not as easy to jump in to as the masterpiece that is Mortal Kombat II, but it does offer up much greater strategic opportunities as a result of its complexity. MKT is so deep offensively, in fact, that up until just a few years ago a dedicated group down in Brazil was still playing it semi-competitively.

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
What does the Grizzmeister think of Fighter's Destiny? Don't be afraid to hurt this fanboy's feelings.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
ItalianBaptist
Feb 10 2017, 08:47 AM
So after watching some videos and giving it some thought, I'm hopefully picking up Fighter's Destiny AND Flying Dragon soon. Good prices on Lukiegames within my budget.

Thoughts on Xena?
I, personally, was surprised by Xena. I expected the worse. I always see Xena like the fighting part of some action RPG that was extracted. I found it easy to learn the moves and control the fighters. And I have developed a liking for certain fighters because of their particular moves and control. And there seems to be small combos that you can learn to perform. The game is easy to get into but it is not that deep of a fighter and that, I think, is mainly due to being limited in your variety of moves. The game is just basic. It doesn’t take long to master the single player mode. So I am thinking that the four player brawl is where this game would shine the most, a simple fighting party game. Starting in easy mode is a good place to learn to control and use your fighter. And the control seems tight, which is a plus. I don't think the game is for everyone. You will probably either like it or hate it. I never watched the series when it aired and I still was able to get into this fighter. So I don't think you would need to be a fan of the show. Short bursts, it's all right, but no long term play for me.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

EnvyFox
Member Avatar
Hey! A thread about fighting games! I love it! Now I'll admit right here and now that, as far as 5th generation consoles are concerned, I usually go running to my PS1 (don't own a Sega Saturn unfortunately) for my fighting game fixes. That said, I still enjoy most of my small fighting game collection on the N64 and figured now would be a perfect time to give my thoughts on each of them from worst to best.

Along with wrestling and boxing games, I'm also leaving out the Pokemon Stadium games. I keep hearing these two being referred to as fighting games from time to time, but that's way too far of a stretch for me to count them. Hybrid Heaven is also getting disqualified as it has far too much going for it to be just a fighting game (they don't call it HYBRID Heaven for nothin'!). With that said, here's my list!

5. B.I.O. Freaks - The worst of the bunch by FAR and the only one on this list that I can truly consider bad. I used to like this game and I may have said so on a thread here, but years later and with a much bigger fighting game collection, I can no longer will myself to put this in my N64. I can only have a bit of fun if I disable the projectile shields because, with them on, projectiles become worthless (for you) as the CPU constantly spams that shield. It also makes the already difficult to beat Mutilator into a very cheap final boss. I got this (and some other games) for free as a going away present and I'm now glad I didn't spend a dime on this. Not the worst I've ever played but, as far as fighting games go, you can do much better even on the N64.

4. Mortal Kombat 4 - I had a really tough time figuring out whether or not to put this at the #3 spot but it just misses the mark. That's okay, though, because MK4 marks the beginning of the good fighting games in my collection. Yes I know this is considered by some as the worst of the main MK games (when they're not ripping MK vs. DCU apart) and the final fight with Shinnok was nothing short of pathetic, but the game as a whole is still a lot of fun. The combo system returns from the last game (I'll get to why that's a positive in just a minute) and the difficulty was dialed down to a healthier challenge (again, save for the pushover Shinnok). Also, and this just might be me but I actually prefer the N64 versions of the endings just because of how funny they look along with the added inside jokes not found on any other version of the game. Finally, MK4 has got to have the best "Kontinue?" screen in the entire series. Here's a look in case you missed it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts-i3D8GNuw

Terrific.

3. Mortal Kombat Trilogy - This is probably where I'm going to anger a lot of readers here, but it must be said. I truly believe that Mortal Kombat 3 is when the series started getting good. Now I LOVE me some MKII, but I have to question if I would hold that game in high regard if it wasn't the first fighting game I had ever played. In the first two MK games, the only thing that separated one character from another were their special moves (and their fatalities but that was after you've already won the match). Everyone, no matter the gender or martial arts background, had the same punches, the same kicks and the same jump height and arc. While the series still had a ways to go before MK Deadly Alliance, MK3 began making the characters more unique with the new "dial-a-kombo" feature which was different for each character in both input and animation. If mastered (which is no easy task), you can do more damage with these kombos than any uppercut can dream of. And, of course, you can always catch an opponent off guard with these kombos by using the new run feature, which gets you up close and personal in less than a second.

So what does this have to do with MK Trilogy. Well Trilogy, simply put, is MK3 with every playable character from the last three games and then some (hi Khameleon). Johnny Cage can now come back from the dead to face Sheeva. Raiden can relinquish his role as an elder god to personally take the fight to Shao Kahn (who eats Shinnok for breakfast). Baraka can... continue to do whatever it was he was doing in MKII! Yeah! On top of that, I'm a fan of the new Aggressor meter which, when filled up, boosts your speed and attack power. My only big gripes are the cut characters (due to cartridge limitations) and a difficulty level that's a bit too much at times. It's not B.I.O. Freaks cheap, but it gets dangerously close. Still, with all the positives mentioned along with near non-existant loading times, an N64 exclusive 3v3 mode (take that, Sony!) and more cheats than you can shake a stick at makes this the ultimate MK experience for the system.

Heh... hey look. MK Trilogy is #3 on my list. Oh and MK4 is #4. Funny how that worked out, huh?

2. Fighter Destiny 2 - As far as traditional 1v1 N64 fighting games go for the system (including KI Gold, which I own on Rare Replay), this one is the absolute best. How this series ended after just two games I'll never know but I bet it has something to do with dumb-dumbs like me who didn't give it a fair shake back in the day simply because it didn't play like Street Fighter or Tekken. Had I not been a closed-minded fool way back then, I could have enjoyed one of the most unique and addictive games on the system. In recent years, I decided to give the series another go and chose the sequel since I heard it was very similar than the first game with minor improvements (think Tekken 2) and was completely blown away with the point system I shunned so heavily in my childhood.

Gone is the "best 2 of 3 rounds" rule that seems to be a requirement for just about every other fighting game. It's all about racking up points and how much you earn depends on how you ended the round and they're all customizable. I love this because it always keeps things intense and always keeps you in the fight. For example, your opponent can be punishing you for most of the round but you can still counter a punch and throw them to the ground for an easy 2 points but be careful because the opponent can do the exact same thing to you. I'll admit some of the characters are a little on the generic side (Saeki is a Ryu clone and there's a ninja in the game brilliantly named Ninja) but they all have very unique fighting styles with a healthy amount of special moves and combos (with unlockable moves to boot!). My favorite thing about the game, however, has to go to Fighter Arena, a mode where you choose one of the characters to go through a board game and fight the other characters for stat upgrades. These stat-boosted characters can be used in all other modes of the game, too, and using a fully powered up Saeki (which I named Envy EX :) ) to outright destroy the competition was just a joy to experience. Outside of that and the 1P mode, there's a standard versus mode, a survival mode, a time attack mode and an interesting Rodeo mode where you have to keep yourself in the ring against a fighting cow for as long as possible. Yes there is a fighting cow in this game and she is an unlockable character. If that doesn't sell the game to you I don't know what will. Don't be like younger me. Pick this one up and experience a fighting game the likes you've never seen before.

1. Super... SMAAAAAAAAAASH BROTHERRRRRRRS - Okay yes I know this could be seen as my #1 a mile away... but where else am I supposed to put a game that keeps me coming back even when I own all of it's sequels which, being honest with myself, are superior in almost every way? I mean nostalgia is strong but nostalgia didn't stop me from disliking Pokemon Blue many years after it's release. No Super Smash Bros. gets the #1 spot because of how well it's aged a decade and a half later. And does anyone else which they still used the bowling pin noises for hits in the later games? That was so satisfying to me and they replaced them with more realistic hits that you hear in just about every other fighting game.

The references to each character's respective games is a real treat especially now that I know more about them (I had no clue who Captain Falcon or Ness were as a kid and had no clue Samus was a woman until reading her bio despite playing a bit of Metroid II before this game). Graphics are still pleasing to the eyes thanks to their bright colors and the levels seem a lot more interesting than most in the series. 1P mode is a blast despite being predictable and the fight against Master Hand at the end can get really intense on higher difficulty levels (plus, who knew a hand could have so much personality?). Even the box art looked cool and I wish the later games would go back to that comic book style. And who could forget the commercial? I'm pretty sure everyone here has seen it at least once, so I'll just leave this instead.

Posted Image

I could go on and on, but the point is this is my #1 pick for a reason. It rocked back then and it rocks now! Viva la Smash Bros.!

On a side note, I actually rented that Beast Wars game as a kid and, believe it or not, I had fun with the game though it should be noted I liked a lot of games I can't stomache today. I even had a song from the game stuck in my head for years until I found it again online.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uTYLBXL764s

Of course, I... remember the instrumentation being a lot better than that. This is a song screaming for a cover. Anyway, I've been reading some of the other posts on here and I've definitely got some more games to add to the ol' collection. I've had my eyes on Flying Dragon for years but heard it has some problems in the gameplay department. Is it still worth getting? I also remember playing Deadly Arts once upon a time but found out years later that it's considered one of the worst fighting games the system has to offer. Is that true? Whatever those answers might be, I'm glad this topic has opened up. It may have not had Marvel vs. Capcom or Tekken 2 but the N64 puts up more of a fight (heheheh...) in this genre than many realize.
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Great detailed reviews of those games, Envyfox :)

I'm with you on the original smash bros. I can't say that it's objectively the best game in the series, but it's probably my favorite. I'm sure nostalgia has something to do with it, but I'll reiterate what I said when Smash 64 was the Game of the month: the simplicity of only 12 characters and the sound design are what keep me coming back. Kirby, Pikachu and Ness in particular never had better voices in the sequels, and Mario and Luigi kept theirs for Melee but I really don't care for them in the newer games. Plus, ever since Brawl mario's had this off-putting scowl on his face.

Also, this is the only game in the series where I feel I can use Pokeballs without them being too op ;)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Feb 13 2017, 06:45 AM.

stinger9142
Member Avatar
Endure and survive...
I became less and less into fighting games the older I got. I also had a lengthy MMA background that fueled my interest early on. Mortal Kombat Trilogy was my first N64 fighting game (2nd game overall). I had spent a lot of time playing the previous MK releases. By the time I finally owned one, I had grown bored of it a little bit. I did get Fighter's Destiny as I felt it was as closed to Tekken as I could get on the N64. It was a quality title. It wasn't until 2001 that I grew to love Smash Bros. Far from a traditional fighting game, but probably the most fun to me.

I did have a lot of fun on the thq/aki and acclaim wrestling games. I know they aren't traditional fighters by any stretch of the imagination either, but I had a lot of fun with them.

In the years since the N64, I bought and moderately enjoyed Tekken 4.
i have borrowed and played some more MK and Street Fighter since then. I never really stuck with them for a very long time. The same could be said for the UFC fighting games.

Traditional fighting games have just become less appealing to me as the years went by.

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: