Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
The Dojo - N64 Fighting Game Discussion
Topic Started: Feb 8 2017, 08:57 AM (1,898 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Went back to Smash for Wii U after Smash 64 and I still think I prefer 64. Even without Ryu, Cloud, Marth or the Duck Hunt Dog.

I don't know how they applied this to Melee onwards other than the fact that the controls generally feel really good in my hands. But it's easy to see how Smash 64 was made for that controller. Every button is placed exactly how it should be. I recall hearing that Fighter's Destiny's controls were also tailor made for the N64 controller, rather than mapping the standard arcade layout to the A, B, and C buttons which seems awkward to me though I've never tried it.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Shellshocker18
Feb 11 2017, 07:10 PM
What does the Grizzmeister think of Fighter's Destiny? Don't be afraid to hurt this fanboy's feelings.
I make it a point to play every game that I buy but I honestly can't even remember playing Fighter's Destiny. :-8

That's not to say that FD is a bad game but apparently it didn't strike a cord in me like Tekken and Soul Edge did. By the time Fighter's Destiny was released the PlayStation already had a really strong lineup of 3D fighters and since I owned both a PSX and N64 the former was probably my platform of choice for the genre.

As much as I love Super Smash Bros. (N64) now, I didn't really care for it when I first played in back in 1999. That was undoubtedly a consequence of the way I was introduced to it. You see, my friend Ray brought it over and since he'd been playing it for a while he completely mopped the floor with our small gathering of friends. Fortunately, I went back to Smash 64 after picking up Brawl in 2008 and I now consider SSB64 a timeless classic that easily holds its own against its follow-ups.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
This morning I just heard of an n64 fighting game that was completely new to me: Super Fighting Spirit? It's Japan only and based off the Super Robot Wars series, so giant mechs fighting each other including some Gundam. Normally though, I go to Amazon to find import games and it doesn't even have a page! So I have a couple questions:

How much does a copy run?

Is it worth buying?

Also, would the custom robo games count as fighters?

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Feb 8 2017, 08:57 AM
Killer Instinct - I really don't know a whole lot about the series but I love the combo breaker concept. Is it gory like Mortal Kombat or what?
Even though Killer Instinct Gold was obviously inspired by gory games like Mortal Kombat and Samurai Shodown, KIG includes the option of turning the Blood off entirely.

As to the Combo Breakers, Killer Instinct Gold also includes an option to make them easier to pull off.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Retro Junkie
Member Avatar
There is no spoon.
ItalianBaptist
Mar 22 2017, 05:58 AM
This morning I just heard of an n64 fighting game that was completely new to me: Super Fighting Spirit? It's Japan only and based off the Super Robot Wars series, so giant mechs fighting each other including some Gundam. Normally though, I go to Amazon to find import games and it doesn't even have a page! So I have a couple questions:

How much does a copy run?

Is it worth buying?

Also, would the custom robo games count as fighters?
I am going to answer your question with a blogged I posted on Word Press May 2016.

This is defiantly a fan based fighting game. If you love the Gundam franchise and own an N64 then this game for you. I am under the impression that there are not that many carts available, being that, the game sold under 10,000 copies at its initial release. Or? Maybe there were a lot of copies that went unsold. Who knows? It was only released in Japan. Famitsu list it in the top selling N64 games in Japan as #80. Which was only 8,919 carts sold from 1996 through 2003. That really gives a bad impression on how well the N64 game did in Japan. With that many copies sold, the question comes to mind, ďIs it a bad game?Ē

Posted Image

The game is in Japanese, but it being a fighting game makes it easy to get into. Your only loss is not knowing what is going on in the story mode, which is the mode highlighted when the game boots up in the start menu. Move down the menu until you see the number 64. This would be the mode which is the gauntlet, single player, fighting mecha after mecha until the end boss, Judecca. Right under the story mode is the VS mode. It appears that there are only 10 fighters to choose from and several of those must be unlocked.

Posted Image

The gameplay is 2D even though the graphics gives it a 3D effect. The mecha units are polygonal in design which works well for the characters. They are suppose to look like robots anyway, right? The graphics, not having a lot of detail, are colorful, simple, and clean, animation is smooth. Each Gundam character is easily recognizable by their own unique design and individual color palette. I find the control responsive and tight. Each fighter has a common kick and punch with their own signature special moves. Some of the special moves are determined by how full the energy bar. That bar fills as you engage your opponent. And you are not limited to fighting just on the ground. Any time you want, you can take it to the air with the right shoulder button. I like this. It adds so much to the gameplay.

Posted Image

The game is easy to pick up and play. Moves are easy to learn and initiate. I find the fights fun and engaging. I havenít watched any of the Gundam anime except for one of the movies, so I am not that familiar with the characters, or story. Even though I donít know who they are, I still find it a fun and enjoyable game to sit down to and get into the action. It is a simple fighter with big chunkie ginormous mecha. Whats not to love? Even though I have had this a short time, I still cannot beat that end boss Judecca. But I will. To answer that question I posed at the beginning, no it is not a bad game. It may not be for every gamer, but if you love the genre and have this thing for big mecha, you owe it to yourself to pick this up. It is really not that hard to find or that expensive, even for a CIB copy. How do I rate this game? I am going to have to place this up there as being ďawesome game.Ē

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm going to spend most of this coming Sunday playing Super Smash Bros. 64 since my friend Steven claims to have some new tech for Kirby. It's amazing to me how people can still find new strategies for a game that's almost ready to celebrate its 20th anniversary. :lol:
Edited by Grizzmeister, Dec 8 2017, 11:07 AM.

Posted Image

Mantis128
Member Avatar
Established Member
Several months ago I was looking at my N64 controllers and honestly I saw no reason why a Street Fighter or Darkstalkers/Vampire game couldn't have been done on the N64. The button layout would have been great, perhaps better than the PS1.
B, Left-C, Up-C could have been the punch buttons, while A Down-C Right-C could have been assigned to kicks.

I mean if the SNES could do Street Fighter Alpha 2...
https://twitter.com/Mantis128
http://ask.fm/Mantis128

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Mantis128
Mar 10 2018, 10:12 PM
Several months ago I was looking at my N64 controllers and honestly I saw no reason why a Street Fighter or Darkstalkers/Vampire game couldn't have been done on the N64. The button layout would have been great, perhaps better than the PS1.
B, Left-C, Up-C could have been the punch buttons, while A Down-C Right-C could have been assigned to kicks.

There were rumors of DarkStalkers. Seeing as Rakuga Kids has 400+ frames of animation per character, I believe Alpha 3 is technically possible, but probably would have taken a 32mb or possibly 64mb cart, and even then it could have ended up being a worse version. Financially I understand Capcom not putting forth the effort but in all technical terms I think it could have functioned on N64. It would have been the most "Triple A" N64 if it had happened.

I guess Mortal Kombat 4 is just as good, right? ;_;
Edited by Shellshocker18, Mar 10 2018, 11:06 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Mantis128
Do you know that Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES is often mentioned as being the worst home port of a Street Fighter game?

LOOKING BACK - Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES

It's probably for the best that Capcom never attempted to port any Street Fighter games to the N64 given how many frames of animation their titles of the era featured. The cartridge format was simply too limiting at the time although I gotta admit that an N64 version of Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha would have been interesting. :blink:

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Grizzmeister
Apr 7 2018, 06:33 AM
Mantis128
Do you know that Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES is often mentioned as being the worst home port of a Street Fighter game?

LOOKING BACK - Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES

It's probably for the best that Capcom never attempted to port any Street Fighter games to the N64 given how many frames of animation their titles of the era featured. The cartridge format was simply too limiting at the time although I gotta admit that an N64 version of Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha would have been interesting. :blink:
I'm not an expert on Game Boy Advance, but from what came up in my searches, the largest GBA carts were 32MB. Alpha 3 on GBA is pretty highly regarded even by the developers themselves who were interviewed on Nintendolife about the game. So I don't think it would have been cartridges or size holding back an N64 version. Rather the smaller install base making it financially pointless and probably the odd way N64 handeled 2D sprite rendering which would have made it a pain in the :donkey:
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 7 2018, 06:42 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Here's what I found on Wikipedia about the GBA port of Street Fighter Alpha 3.

Quote:

A Game Boy Advance version developed by Crawfish Interactive was released in 2002 under the title Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper. The port is compressed and lacks several stages and music tracks from the previous arcade and console versions, although all of the characters are present. In addition, Eagle, Maki, and Yun, all whom were characters from Capcom vs. SNK 2 (released in 2001), were also added to the game. Only a small amount of character voices were included in this version due to storage limitations, which the developers worked around by having characters share voice samples, modified with real-time pitch shifting, such as using a higher pitched version of Ken's voice for Sakura's attack calls.

After playing it on both my Raspberry Pi and Wii, I will admit that the GBA version of SFA3 is better than the disastrous SNES port of SFA2. However, it's clear compromises were made to fit it on a cartridge and I suspect those same issues would have also plagued an N64 translation. With fantastic ports of Street Fighter Alpha 3 available on the PSX and Saturn, a subpar N64 port probably wouldn't have sold very well.

Since Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha is a 3D game the N64 might have done a respectable job with it. In fact, an N64 port was announced but never released according to Wikipedia.

Posted Image

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
I want to chime in about how much fun Tom & Jerry FoF is! Much better then the power puff girls version (of basically the same game)

"Mom, can I play pretendo?" -Nathan, age 4 :wub:

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
MymeeN64
Apr 10 2018, 12:12 AM
I want to chime in about how much fun Tom & Jerry FoF is! Much better then the power puff girls version (of basically the same game)

They are the same game engine. Check this Powerpuff Girls prototype that still uses Tom and Jerry's music. It's literally just a reskin. I agree Tom and Jerry is better, but neither are good. You do you though, I've enjoyed my fair share of bad games.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I knew the similarities between Tom and Jerry and PPG had to be more than coincidence (plus I thought I remembered seeing a YouTube video of that prototype). And yet Tom and Jerry surpasses PPG in just about every way. Itís a real shame because they could have done so much more with it considering what they had - they were working off a game that had more than one song in it after all. I suppose some of it had to do with the limitations of the license, like the girls being unable to fight each other.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
ItalianBaptist
Apr 10 2018, 03:45 AM
I knew the similarities between Tom and Jerry and PPG had to be more than coincidence (plus I thought I remembered seeing a YouTube video of that prototype). And yet Tom and Jerry surpasses PPG in just about every way. Itís a real shame because they could have done so much more with it considering what they had - they were working off a game that had more than one song in it after all. I suppose some of it had to do with the limitations of the license, like the girls being unable to fight each other.
Yeah they are both developed by VIS Entertainment, no coincidence as they just did a quick Reskin. The girls can't fight, meanwhile in Smash Mario and Luigi can bash the living :pottymouth: out of each other. Also Powerpuff Girls problems have almost nothing to due with the license itself. I don't want to go on a tirade because I very well could, but it was the 5th final game released on N64. It was just a quick licensed cash in, and actually it's quicker and cheaper than almost any other cash in I've seen which is saying something.

Bar and none it's what I consider the worst game on N64 on a purely scientific level, and you should all know I'm not some Joe Schmo who has played like 30 N64 games. I've finished or at least heavily played about half the games in the library, and most the ones I haven't played are good ones which I can't foresee being on Powerpuff Girls level.

It's actually the worst version of the game, as it was rushed ahead a month before the PS1 version was done, and that's already one of the PS1's worst games. The N64 version is missing 2 levels on the map screen because they weren't finished yet, has spots where the characters are supposed to talk but they don't because the voice acting either wasn't done yet or they didn't want to include it, and has blank text for the story (unlike most N64 games where they use still images from the PS1 versions full motion video) because the PS1 FMV either wasn't done or they couldn't be bothered to get screenshots. Also as you mentioned, only 1 song, probably the least amount of music in any N64 game. They wouldn't delay it a month because they knew none of those additions mattered or would have mattered. Many cash grab licensed games get called souless when they really weren't. This is true souless cash grab made with no passion and as little effort as possible. There are a bunch more things about that are rushed too but it's not important to list. No other N64 licensed game was as cheap as this one.

That said I genuinely don't care If somebody enjoys it. I have "enjoyed" Blues Brothers 2000" to some extent and other games people don't rate highly like MK:Mythologies. I just think objectively Powerpuff Girls is the worst.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 10 2018, 04:14 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
Shellshocker18
Apr 10 2018, 04:08 AM
ItalianBaptist
Apr 10 2018, 03:45 AM
I don't want to go on a tirade because I very well could, but it was the 5th final game released on N64.

The N64 version is missing 2 levels on the map screen because they weren't finished yet, has spots where the characters are supposed to talk but they don't because the voice acting either wasn't done yet or they didn't want to include it, and has blank text for the story (unlike most N64 games where they use still images from the PS1 versions full motion video) because the PS1 FMV either wasn't done or they couldn't be bothered to get screenshots.
I didn't know it was the 5th final game released, that makes a lot of sense! Lol

Thank you! I was getting so frustrTed about those missing levels..... I used the game shark to unlock everything for Nathan and I to play, and they still weren't playable!!!! Ugh! Now I have closure.

After reading your review here..... I will agree its in my top 3 worse games for the system. I don't have other two picked out yet.... but I will leave some spots open :P

Also I didn't know it was called a Reskin.... cause that's what I meant. Thanks for the new vocabulary! :yeah:
I guess this game really gets under your..... shell, huh?

Posted Image

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
It really makes you appreciate the care and attention they put into Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt, eh?

I have one point of ďcontentionĒ with Shellshockerís analysis and thatís saying that Fists of Furry isnít good either. I wouldnít dare compare it to Fighterís Destiny or anything (especially considering whose presence Iím in), but itís good for quick bursts. The smaller characters in particular are spot on controlwise. IGN gave it a 6.8/10 and Iíd say thatís a fair assessment. Good, not great.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Apr 10 2018, 09:30 AM.

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
Oh yes, totally, Fists of Furry is a good time :yeah:

And I also love that Rugrats game! The characters voice clips are perfect, I can hear them now...
There was some PlayStation Rugrats game I remember LOVING, I wish there was a 64 title more like that. Exploring rooms, collecting items, mini games. But ill take what i can get 64 wise. :D

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
ItalianBaptist
Apr 10 2018, 09:27 AM
It really makes you appreciate the care and attention they put into Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt, eh?

I have one point of ďcontentionĒ with Shellshockerís analysis and thatís saying that Fists of Furry isnít good either. I wouldnít dare compare it to Fighterís Destiny or anything (especially considering whose presence Iím in), but itís good for quick bursts. The smaller characters in particular are spot on controlwise. IGN gave it a 6.8/10 and Iíd say thatís a fair assessment. Good, not great.
Well, needless to say I don't belive Tom and Jerry is an entire 1.8 (or 2 points of we round) above average. It has 1 punch combo which is probably its biggest problem. I wont get into IGN's rating system, but alot of their old stuff is not to be taken as fact (like Earthworm Jim 3D being like a 7.3/10, also made by VIS). For its target audience of children it obviously wouldn't be that bad. It's simple and competantly programned but i think its average if I'm being nice. Honestly the fact neither of these "N64 arena fighters" has 4 player shows they were pretty lazy. In fact I think Xena is the only 4 player 3D fighter on N64
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

MymeeN64
Member Avatar
Ha, I remember getting excited about finding out there was a Xena n64 game. I bought it, popped it in and..... :cussfit:, its a fighting game lol not that I don't like fighting games, I just ha e to be in the mood.

Xena is pretty cool, having the 4 player, 3D arena. It makes it more intense.
Edited by MymeeN64, Apr 10 2018, 04:32 PM.

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Finally getting back the instinct.

This juggle is humiliating! >:-]

Posted Image
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nintendo really needs to figure out how to get Killer Instinct Gold on an N64 Mini if they release one. :D

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
If only online play were available for it on the N64 Classic...
It's the last thing I see hapenning with it, but you would be nice to spar with seeing that you're probably one of the few people who knows how to play this game profeciently.

That said, what kind of topsy turvy world do we live in where Rare N64 games, especially this one, are playable on Xbox?
It's just not as good. The playable arcade versions are a different story.
Edited by No64DD, May 4 2018, 10:09 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I considered buying an Xbox One so I could play Killer Instinct 2 online, but then I'd also have to pay for Microsoft's online service which is hard to justify when I'm already paying for the PlayStation network for my PS4.

Yeah, so if an N64 Classic Edition allowed for free online for Killer Instinct Gold that would be AWESOME! Obviously it'll never happen but it would be nice and could potentially open up the prospect of adding more games to the N64 Mini legally by downloading them directly from Nintendo. The NES and SNES Classic Editions have already proven that pirating will occur even on non-connected devices.

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: