Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Dojo - N64 Fighting Game Discussion
Topic Started: Feb 8 2017, 08:57 AM (1,900 Views)
Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm with Cat, Killer Instinct Gold and Mortal Kombat Trilogy are my favorite fighting games on the N64. Gold is good even as a single-player game while MKT is only enjoyable as a 2-player experience since the AI is so brutal at times.

Honorable mention goes to Mace: The Dark Age which is also fun against a human opponent.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Shellshocker18
Feb 10 2017, 05:38 AM
Well, on the subject of Fighting games, Mace The Dark Age seems okay but playing against the Cpu opponents is brutal even on the easiest difficulty. The combat is okay but a bit janky then what I remember from Mk4. The executions are also really wimpy. It I guess Mk has desensatised me. Also I hate when console fighting games have time limits on the character select screen. I'm at home the timer is unnecessary.
Even the arcade version of Mace: The Dark Age is weak when compared to the PlayStation release of Soul Edge, but some people still stuck with it long enough to discover some devastating combos.

Mace combo and fatality video

The general consensus seems to be that Killer Instinct Gold is far and away the best legitimate fighting game on the N64. The fact that it doesn't have as many frames of animation as the arcade version Killer Instinct 2 ultimately forced many fighting game enthusiasts to view it with ambivalence, though. It's still a fun game, however, especially when you see really skilled players go at it.

Spinal (East14th) Vs. Jago (Cabdragon333) Killer Instinct 2 Casuals

N64 collectors should probably have both KI Gold and Mace in their library. I like the former well enough to have a complete example along with the SNES release of KI.

Posted Image

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Here are all the fighting games I own for the N64.

Posted Image

Last Legion UX isn't in the picture even though I do own a copy because I don't really consider it a fighting game. It's more of an action game along the lines of Sega's Virtual On or possibly a third-person shooter like From Software's Armored Core franchise.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Shellshocker18
Feb 10 2017, 12:06 PM
Also you didn't include Smash 64 in your picture, you trying to start something with me or did you just forget :P
Don't worry, I own several copies of Super Smash Bros. ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
No64DD
Feb 10 2017, 12:37 PM
@Grizz,
Killer Instinct GOLD still runs at 60FPS.
That may be but as a consequence of using a cartridge for storage Killer Instinct Gold (N64) has fewer frames of animation than Killer Instinct 2 (Arcade) that ran off a hard-drive.

Don't get me wrong, I really like KI Gold but it'd be disingenuous to say that it holds up well against other 2D console fighting games of the era like the incredible Street Fighter Alpha 3.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The White Falcon
Feb 10 2017, 07:55 PM
I might pick up some of them to give them a go if they're cheap enough, but the reality is that of that era, the Saturn will always win for both selection and controller, for me at least.
As much as I love fighting games, I'm very surprised I never picked up a Saturn. I guess the PlayStation's wonderful lineup of 3D fighters kept me and my friends occupied at the time. I can remember playing countless hours of Tekken 3 and Soul Edge because both games were visually stunning, featured awesome soundtracks and are relatively easy to pick up and play. Heck, me and my buddy Doug even played lots of Bushido Blade because I had two PSX's linked so we could do the innovative first person view during versus matches. Ah, the memories. I really miss the 90's fighting game scene. ^_^

On the N64 I think Mortal Kombat Trilogy is highly underrated. It's not as easy to jump in to as the masterpiece that is Mortal Kombat II, but it does offer up much greater strategic opportunities as a result of its complexity. MKT is so deep offensively, in fact, that up until just a few years ago a dedicated group down in Brazil was still playing it semi-competitively.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Shellshocker18
Feb 11 2017, 07:10 PM
What does the Grizzmeister think of Fighter's Destiny? Don't be afraid to hurt this fanboy's feelings.
I make it a point to play every game that I buy but I honestly can't even remember playing Fighter's Destiny. :-8

That's not to say that FD is a bad game but apparently it didn't strike a cord in me like Tekken and Soul Edge did. By the time Fighter's Destiny was released the PlayStation already had a really strong lineup of 3D fighters and since I owned both a PSX and N64 the former was probably my platform of choice for the genre.

As much as I love Super Smash Bros. (N64) now, I didn't really care for it when I first played in back in 1999. That was undoubtedly a consequence of the way I was introduced to it. You see, my friend Ray brought it over and since he'd been playing it for a while he completely mopped the floor with our small gathering of friends. Fortunately, I went back to Smash 64 after picking up Brawl in 2008 and I now consider SSB64 a timeless classic that easily holds its own against its follow-ups.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
ItalianBaptist
Feb 8 2017, 08:57 AM
Killer Instinct - I really don't know a whole lot about the series but I love the combo breaker concept. Is it gory like Mortal Kombat or what?
Even though Killer Instinct Gold was obviously inspired by gory games like Mortal Kombat and Samurai Shodown, KIG includes the option of turning the Blood off entirely.

As to the Combo Breakers, Killer Instinct Gold also includes an option to make them easier to pull off.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I'm going to spend most of this coming Sunday playing Super Smash Bros. 64 since my friend Steven claims to have some new tech for Kirby. It's amazing to me how people can still find new strategies for a game that's almost ready to celebrate its 20th anniversary. :lol:
Edited by Grizzmeister, Dec 8 2017, 11:07 AM.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Mantis128
Mar 10 2018, 10:12 PM
I mean if the SNES could do Street Fighter Alpha 2...
Do you know that Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES is often mentioned as being the worst home port of a Street Fighter game?

LOOKING BACK - Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES

It's probably for the best that Capcom never attempted to port any Street Fighter games to the N64 given how many frames of animation their titles of the era featured. The cartridge format was simply too limiting at the time although I gotta admit that an N64 version of Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha would have been interesting. :blink:

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Here's what I found on Wikipedia about the GBA port of Street Fighter Alpha 3.

Quote:

A Game Boy Advance version developed by Crawfish Interactive was released in 2002 under the title Street Fighter Alpha 3 Upper. The port is compressed and lacks several stages and music tracks from the previous arcade and console versions, although all of the characters are present. In addition, Eagle, Maki, and Yun, all whom were characters from Capcom vs. SNK 2 (released in 2001), were also added to the game. Only a small amount of character voices were included in this version due to storage limitations, which the developers worked around by having characters share voice samples, modified with real-time pitch shifting, such as using a higher pitched version of Ken's voice for Sakura's attack calls.

After playing it on both my Raspberry Pi and Wii, I will admit that the GBA version of SFA3 is better than the disastrous SNES port of SFA2. However, it's clear compromises were made to fit it on a cartridge and I suspect those same issues would have also plagued an N64 translation. With fantastic ports of Street Fighter Alpha 3 available on the PSX and Saturn, a subpar N64 port probably wouldn't have sold very well.

Since Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha is a 3D game the N64 might have done a respectable job with it. In fact, an N64 port was announced but never released according to Wikipedia.

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Nintendo really needs to figure out how to get Killer Instinct Gold on an N64 Mini if they release one. :D

Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I considered buying an Xbox One so I could play Killer Instinct 2 online, but then I'd also have to pay for Microsoft's online service which is hard to justify when I'm already paying for the PlayStation network for my PS4.

Yeah, so if an N64 Classic Edition allowed for free online for Killer Instinct Gold that would be AWESOME! Obviously it'll never happen but it would be nice and could potentially open up the prospect of adding more games to the N64 Mini legally by downloading them directly from Nintendo. The NES and SNES Classic Editions have already proven that pirating will occur even on non-connected devices.

Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply