Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Dojo - N64 Fighting Game Discussion
Topic Started: Feb 8 2017, 08:57 AM (1,121 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
All the fun of MMA but nobody gets hurt! Discuss the fighting games of the n64 here :)

More detailed introduction:
Of all the video game genres out there, my favorite has to be fighting. I did martial arts growing up so I can enjoy either the technical nature of it or the fast paced action and it's really fun both to play and to watch. I'd definitely like to be more involved in the fighting game community if I could.

As noted whenever Glenn Plant N64 reviews a fighting game on his YouTube channel, the n64 as a whole is not particularly known for the genre. On the other hand, either in spite of this or perhaps because of this, the N64 gamer saw a lot of attempts at creativity and twists on the standard fighter formula that is worth any member of the fighting game community to at least check out. So what if we never officially got Street Fighter or Tekken? (ok it's kind of a big deal but still...) I'd like this thread to be a celebration of what the N64 developers were able to accomplish in this arena (pun somewhat intended).

Personally, I'm not gonna be talking about the M-rated fighting games like Mortal Kombat, War Gods and Bio Freaks but don't let me stop you if they're good games. I played War Gods. It's not.

Right now the only fighting game I have unfortunately is Smash Bros. but here are some of the other ones I'm interested in.

Fighter's Destiny series - one of the most technical games on the system, I've heard really good things about it

Flying Dragon - this is probably the one that would satisfy my traditional fighting game fix the most on the system, again I've heard a lot of praise

Xena: The Talisman of Fate - the closest thing we have to the Soul series on the N64? This one's gotten some mixed opinions but it has its fans.

Rakuga Kids - on the more expensive side, worth importing?

Killer Instinct - I really don't know a whole lot about the series but I love the combo breaker concept. Is it gory like Mortal Kombat or what?

It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
I'm seeing Tom and Jerry: Fists of Furry on here and that brings back a lot of memories too. I picked up that game as quickly as I could when I was younger but I was stupid and gave it away about a year ago :P

I was never able to unlock the Team Battle mode back then - that might have improved the gameplay experience for me. What I did get to play, however, was pretty repetitive. I certainly enjoyed it when I was younger being a huge fan of Tom and Jerry and appreciating the irony of the same company producing a fighting game and the Elmo edutainment games. But it didn't age well.

It was an interesting twist on the fighting game formula by essentially giving us Mario 64 controls (A to jump, B to punch) but putting us in an arena environment. I could only play as the smaller characters though (Jerry, Tuffy, Tyke, Duckling) because the larger characters felt like wading in molasses. Also Spike basically had an infinite with just his jab combo that was really annoying. I'm sure there was some way to get out of it but I was too young and stupid to figure it out lol

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
So after watching some videos and giving it some thought, I'm hopefully picking up Fighter's Destiny AND Flying Dragon soon. Good prices on Lukiegames within my budget.

Thoughts on Xena?

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Great detailed reviews of those games, Envyfox :)

I'm with you on the original smash bros. I can't say that it's objectively the best game in the series, but it's probably my favorite. I'm sure nostalgia has something to do with it, but I'll reiterate what I said when Smash 64 was the Game of the month: the simplicity of only 12 characters and the sound design are what keep me coming back. Kirby, Pikachu and Ness in particular never had better voices in the sequels, and Mario and Luigi kept theirs for Melee but I really don't care for them in the newer games. Plus, ever since Brawl mario's had this off-putting scowl on his face.

Also, this is the only game in the series where I feel I can use Pokeballs without them being too op ;)
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Feb 13 2017, 06:45 AM.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Went back to Smash for Wii U after Smash 64 and I still think I prefer 64. Even without Ryu, Cloud, Marth or the Duck Hunt Dog.

I don't know how they applied this to Melee onwards other than the fact that the controls generally feel really good in my hands. But it's easy to see how Smash 64 was made for that controller. Every button is placed exactly how it should be. I recall hearing that Fighter's Destiny's controls were also tailor made for the N64 controller, rather than mapping the standard arcade layout to the A, B, and C buttons which seems awkward to me though I've never tried it.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
This morning I just heard of an n64 fighting game that was completely new to me: Super Fighting Spirit? It's Japan only and based off the Super Robot Wars series, so giant mechs fighting each other including some Gundam. Normally though, I go to Amazon to find import games and it doesn't even have a page! So I have a couple questions:

How much does a copy run?

Is it worth buying?

Also, would the custom robo games count as fighters?

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply