Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Dojo - N64 Fighting Game Discussion
Topic Started: Feb 8 2017, 08:57 AM (2,359 Views)
Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I'll gladly talk about N64 fighting games more but I'm in a car right now so I don't have much time but 2 games I would recommend aside from Smash Brothers are the original Fighter's Destiny and to a lesser extent Rakuga Kids.

Fighter's Destiny is the cream of the crop when it comes to N64 Fighters
I wrote a full review for it on this site as well.
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/9004054/1/#new
It has original gamplay, smooth frame rate on all but one stage, responsive and customizable controls. It unfortunately has a really harsh difficulty curve for beginners with moves you have to unlock and characters to unlock in challenges that are straight up unfair for 99% of players. I wish more people liked it but hopefully it's popularity will increase in the future. While EnvyFox does like the sequal I would always recommend the original because Fighter Destiny 2 has lag a multiple stages,a more tedious mode for unlocking moves and random stat modifiers to customer characters so 2 people with all the moves unlocked could never have a competitive match, and new characters that don't have as much moveset diversity as the original game. Also it has the most boring fighting game announcer ever.

Rakuga Kids is just a decent game. Very decent with A+ visuals and an awesome high quality surfer rock soundtrack l. I basically wrote a review for Rakuga Kids here where the only criticisms I had were how you have to leave the game turned on for many hours unlock characters and options
http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/single/?p=10004409&t=420579
It's a really simplified version of something like Street Fighter Alpha. Most people say it is floaty and yeah it is slow at first because all the characters have at least a double jump and you are supposed to use defense magic and throws to keep people on the ground. It takes getting used to but it is better than pretty much all the other 3rd party 2d fighters on the system. The menu text in the ntsc-j version is all English so that's why it costs so much to import but I'd say it's worth it. Don't treat it like a tournament level fighter just go into it expecting a fun little distraction and you'll have fun.

Also War Gods is a bit rubbish because it was made to test the new engine that they were going to use for Mortal Kombat 4. It's like another Stuntman or Tonic Trouble situation.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 8 2017, 10:43 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Here is a list of all the N64 fighting games that I know of, not counting Wrestling and Boxing games

The E indicates that it was console exclusive, not including modern day rereleases

Nintendo 64 Fighting Games

Bio F.R.E.A.K.S.
ClayFighter 63 1/3 [E]
ClayFighter Sculptors Cut [E]
Custom Robo [E]
Custom Robo V2 [E]
Dark Rift [E]
Deadly Arts ( G.A.S.P Fighters' NEXTreme ) [E]
Dual Heroes [E]
Fighter's Destiny [E]
Fighter Destiny 2 [E]
Flying Dragon [E]
Killer Instinct Gold [E]
Last Legion UX [E]
Mace The Dark Age [ Console Exclusive ]
Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Powerpuff Girls Chemical X-Traction
Rakuga Kids [E]
SD Hiryu no Ken Densetsu ( Flying Dragon 2 ) [E]
Super Robot Spirits [E]
Super Smash Bros. [E]
Tom and Jerry Fists of Furry [E] (War of Whiskers is an updated version, enough that I say it's exclusive)
Transformers Beast Wars Transmetals
War Gods
Xena Warriors Princess The Talisman of Fate [E]

Total = 25

If I have one positive it's that most of the games are exclusives even to this day. But many of them such as Fighters Destiny 1-2, Flying Dragon 1-2, ClayFighter 63 1/3 and Sculptors Cut are sequels that are so similar it's hard to call them new games so there is less variety on display here than at first glance.

I have not played all of these games, including big ones like Killer Instinct or Mortal Kombat Trilogy which clearly have fans. I am interested in some of the Japanese exclusives, specifically the updated version of Flying Dragon which only includes a revamped SD arcade mode. I've heard good things about Custom Robo and Xena Warriors is also much more fun than you would expect. Overall not a great library but there are a few fun ones on here amongst the stinkers. Even some of the Stinkers can be fun in small doses. Nothing is saving Powerpuff Girls or Transformers though. I refuse to believe any of you cheecky monkeys actually like those games.

Funny story, I actually played Mortal Kombat on N64 many years ago but left my cartridge out in a field near my house. That was nearly 15 years ago now so either someone found it, the game got swept away by the rain into the nearby creek, or it's still there buried in dirt. I'll probably never find it but I've always thought about trying. I'm just too lazy to go look. I've been wanting to play that game again some time soon because I remember it being fun.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 9 2017, 08:09 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Thanks Retro Junkie I forgot about Last Legion UX, it reminds me of a Dreamcast game i can't remember the name of for the life of me. An English Translation for Last Legion just wrapped up a few weeks ago so I really should sit down and give it a try soon. Also I'm glad to see you rank Rakuga Kids highly. That game makes me happy. I'm not sure if any other n64 game has as much charm as Rakuga Kids

Something I noticed today was that the game shows at least 2 characters, a skateboarder and a UFO, in the credits that I assume were planned to be in the sequal. Seemed like the developers were pretty excited about it so they showed us some of their work early. Shame that it never materialized.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 9 2017, 08:23 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
No64DD
Feb 9 2017, 08:35 PM
I'm not entirely sure that they are not in this game as secret characters...
It would be nice to play the PAL version.
Wouldn't that be something. New characters unlocked in N64 fighting games after 19 years. I actually had the same thought of maybe they had to be unlocked by beating the story mode with all characters or on the highest CPU difficulty without dropping a round. For a moment in my head I wondered how rad I would feel if I was the discoverer. But I imagine that if the people ripping the game sprites over in the spriters resource haven't found anything they than the chances of these elusive characters existing in playable form are pretty nill.

I've actually been playing the PAL version, converted into ntsc format. It runs as perfectly as the Japanese version with the exception of the load times but I haven't noticed any differences between the two. I guess it's hard to tell with games this old and uncharted
Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 9 2017, 08:52 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Yeah I used a gameshark but you apparently have to leave the game on for 30 hours to unlock everything but most people report that it takes longer. Maybe leaving the game on for 20 years unlocks the last 2 characters? So elusive that not even the gameshark can catch them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
I bet he would have loved to be a Rakuga Kids character, not as a doodle child but just as himself.

Well, on the subject of Fighting games, Mace The Dark Age seems okay but playing against the Cpu opponents is brutal even on the easiest difficulty. The combat is okay but a bit janky then what I remember from Mk4. The executions are also really wimpy. It I guess Mk has desensatised me. Also I hate when console fighting games have time limits on the character select screen. I'm at home the timer is unnecessary.

You know what Rakuga Kids lacks besides Michael Jackson? An in game move list. That makes any fighting game way more tedious to play. Does anyone know if he manual shares the moves for each character?

Edited by Shellshocker18, Feb 10 2017, 05:58 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
@Grizzmeister I've only ever played the new Killer Instinct but I'm glad to see that so many people got their fighting game fix on Killer Instinct Gold. Killer Instinct is fun but I've just never put enough time into it to really enjoy it. Maybe in the future. Also I won't deny that Mace can't be a fun game when you are good at it but it's a little too generic for me to ever want to put in the time to learn it. Also you didn't include Smash 64 in your picture, you trying to start something with me or did you just forget :P

@ItalianBaptist Glad to see someone interested in Flying Dargon and Fighter's Destiny because they are the 2 most unique fighters exclusive to the console and they both deserve a bit more praise, at least I know Fighter's Destiny does. I've never gotten into Flying Dragon much, it seems a bit lacking in the main fighting mechanics, but it has some fans too and I won't question their tastes.

I've said before that Xena is far better than you would expect from a licensed game but if I'm looking at it objectively it's a bit bland. What's good about Xena is that it is extremely simplistic and easy to pick up and play. Unlike many n64 fighters this game runs at a very decent frame rate which never dips and the controls are simple and respond immediately.

It only uses 4 attack buttons and the combat feels more out a hack n slash game than a fighter, probably because the PlayStation version turned out to be a hack n slash game. It has combos and juggles but they don't take much set up. You just button mash as until the preset combo plays out and then repeat. Every fight just plays out the same because it doesn't feel like there is any balance to anything and the movement is so free that the game boils down to just slash and run away when someone tries to hit you. You can parry and run up the walls to escape the corners but other than that it's really barebones.

For 5 dollars you may get a bit of multiplayer fun out of it. There is nothing horrifically wrong with it but it has 0 depth or nuance and there are no cool items or stages like in Smash to make it at least a bit random and fun.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
What does the Grizzmeister think of Fighter's Destiny? Don't be afraid to hurt this fanboy's feelings.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Mantis128
Mar 10 2018, 10:12 PM
Several months ago I was looking at my N64 controllers and honestly I saw no reason why a Street Fighter or Darkstalkers/Vampire game couldn't have been done on the N64. The button layout would have been great, perhaps better than the PS1.
B, Left-C, Up-C could have been the punch buttons, while A Down-C Right-C could have been assigned to kicks.

I mean if the SNES could do Street Fighter Alpha 2...
There were rumors of DarkStalkers. Seeing as Rakuga Kids has 400+ frames of animation per character, I believe Alpha 3 is technically possible, but probably would have taken a 32mb or possibly 64mb cart, and even then it could have ended up being a worse version. Financially I understand Capcom not putting forth the effort but in all technical terms I think it could have functioned on N64. It would have been the most "Triple A" N64 if it had happened.

I guess Mortal Kombat 4 is just as good, right? ;_;
Edited by Shellshocker18, Mar 10 2018, 11:06 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Grizzmeister
Apr 7 2018, 06:33 AM
Mantis128
Mar 10 2018, 10:12 PM
I mean if the SNES could do Street Fighter Alpha 2...
Do you know that Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES is often mentioned as being the worst home port of a Street Fighter game?

LOOKING BACK - Street Fighter Alpha 2 on SNES

It's probably for the best that Capcom never attempted to port any Street Fighter games to the N64 given how many frames of animation their titles of the era featured. The cartridge format was simply too limiting at the time although I gotta admit that an N64 version of Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha would have been interesting. :blink:
I'm not an expert on Game Boy Advance, but from what came up in my searches, the largest GBA carts were 32MB. Alpha 3 on GBA is pretty highly regarded even by the developers themselves who were interviewed on Nintendolife about the game. So I don't think it would have been cartridges or size holding back an N64 version. Rather the smaller install base making it financially pointless and probably the odd way N64 handeled 2D sprite rendering which would have made it a pain in the :donkey:
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 7 2018, 06:42 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
MymeeN64
Apr 10 2018, 12:12 AM
I want to chime in about how much fun Tom & Jerry FoF is! Much better then the power puff girls version (of basically the same game)

They are the same game engine. Check this Powerpuff Girls prototype that still uses Tom and Jerry's music. It's literally just a reskin. I agree Tom and Jerry is better, but neither are good. You do you though, I've enjoyed my fair share of bad games.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
ItalianBaptist
Apr 10 2018, 03:45 AM
I knew the similarities between Tom and Jerry and PPG had to be more than coincidence (plus I thought I remembered seeing a YouTube video of that prototype). And yet Tom and Jerry surpasses PPG in just about every way. Itís a real shame because they could have done so much more with it considering what they had - they were working off a game that had more than one song in it after all. I suppose some of it had to do with the limitations of the license, like the girls being unable to fight each other.
Yeah they are both developed by VIS Entertainment, no coincidence as they just did a quick Reskin. The girls can't fight, meanwhile in Smash Mario and Luigi can bash the living :pottymouth: out of each other. Also Powerpuff Girls problems have almost nothing to due with the license itself. I don't want to go on a tirade because I very well could, but it was the 5th final game released on N64. It was just a quick licensed cash in, and actually it's quicker and cheaper than almost any other cash in I've seen which is saying something.

Bar and none it's what I consider the worst game on N64 on a purely scientific level, and you should all know I'm not some Joe Schmo who has played like 30 N64 games. I've finished or at least heavily played about half the games in the library, and most the ones I haven't played are good ones which I can't foresee being on Powerpuff Girls level.

It's actually the worst version of the game, as it was rushed ahead a month before the PS1 version was done, and that's already one of the PS1's worst games. The N64 version is missing 2 levels on the map screen because they weren't finished yet, has spots where the characters are supposed to talk but they don't because the voice acting either wasn't done yet or they didn't want to include it, and has blank text for the story (unlike most N64 games where they use still images from the PS1 versions full motion video) because the PS1 FMV either wasn't done or they couldn't be bothered to get screenshots. Also as you mentioned, only 1 song, probably the least amount of music in any N64 game. They wouldn't delay it a month because they knew none of those additions mattered or would have mattered. Many cash grab licensed games get called souless when they really weren't. This is true souless cash grab made with no passion and as little effort as possible. There are a bunch more things about that are rushed too but it's not important to list. No other N64 licensed game was as cheap as this one.

That said I genuinely don't care If somebody enjoys it. I have "enjoyed" Blues Brothers 2000" to some extent and other games people don't rate highly like MK:Mythologies. I just think objectively Powerpuff Girls is the worst.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Apr 10 2018, 04:14 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
ItalianBaptist
Apr 10 2018, 09:27 AM
It really makes you appreciate the care and attention they put into Rugrats: Scavenger Hunt, eh?

I have one point of ďcontentionĒ with Shellshockerís analysis and thatís saying that Fists of Furry isnít good either. I wouldnít dare compare it to Fighterís Destiny or anything (especially considering whose presence Iím in), but itís good for quick bursts. The smaller characters in particular are spot on controlwise. IGN gave it a 6.8/10 and Iíd say thatís a fair assessment. Good, not great.
Well, needless to say I don't belive Tom and Jerry is an entire 1.8 (or 2 points of we round) above average. It has 1 punch combo which is probably its biggest problem. I wont get into IGN's rating system, but alot of their old stuff is not to be taken as fact (like Earthworm Jim 3D being like a 7.3/10, also made by VIS). For its target audience of children it obviously wouldn't be that bad. It's simple and competantly programned but i think its average if I'm being nice. Honestly the fact neither of these "N64 arena fighters" has 4 player shows they were pretty lazy. In fact I think Xena is the only 4 player 3D fighter on N64
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply