Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Retrogate Zelda Ocarina of Time Master Quest
Topic Started: Feb 11 2017, 10:43 PM (1,172 Views)
gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
Reproduction carts my not be everyone's cup of tea but when I heard Retrogate, who's making their own custom N64 PCBs was selling a boxed version of Master Quest I decided to jump on the limited run. The first 10 they sold were numbered and had their own PCB with a Zelda logo. The rest had a different PCB they are going to be selling eventually for your own home brew games. I have the regular PCB.

I thought it was awesome that they made a box and manual for it as well so I picked one up right before they sold out. I asked Retro how many they made and they said only 30. They also made a blue cart version that did not come with a box or manual. Here are some pictures.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Twitter - Youtube - Collection

Controllers - Boxed US (8/8) - Blister (7/7)
Games - Sealed - (9) - Boxed (79) - Lose (77)
Grey Variants - (9/14)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
Grizzmeister
Feb 12 2017, 09:45 AM
Selling printed circuit broads for N64 home brew? Does that mean that some people out there are developing their own N64 games?
There are a few groups trying. Most of the development are hacks. I think that will turn into full games eventually. The n64 is not an easy system to program for and it took a developer like Rare to really push envelope. The PCB Retrogate is making will probably be use for things like this Zelda. Just another version of the game. I could see someone putting Goldeneye X on cart with a box and manual.

This is one game that is being worked on. Mario Run 64.

Grey Variants - (9/14)

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
Putting Master Quest on a cart and selling it is using Nintendo's work in general. For what it's worth Retrogate did design and make their own PCB though. People play roms all the time and dumping a rom to cart isn't any different than using a 64Drive or Everdrive64. The only difference here is you can only play one game. Master Quest on N64 isn't really a port though. The rom is already on the Gamecube disc and the Gamecube emulates it. So in reality, Nintendo made it for N64.This is why it came to the N64 so easy. The only thing that is different is some people gave the rom updates like changing the Gamecube "L" back to "Z" in all textures and game text. Or Restoring the N64 boot logo. If it's considered a port, it's very light port. It's almost a historical restoration of an unreleased game. Ok maybe that's going too far but you get my point.

Although If someone wants to buy the $70+ Gamecube version and play Master Quest at 480p, better than this N64 version then they can. Either way, Nintendo isn't making any money on used game sales anyway.

Going back to the repro carts. So far, Aliexpress "The japanese company of knock offs" and Retrogate are the only two that actually produce N64 repros. And Retrogate doesn't really sell them. They made 30 of that Master Quest and that was it. They have not sold any other games. With their new PCB we'll eventually get more but it will most likely be by other people. Any other reproduction carts you see, like ClayFighter, Bomberman, Conker, Worms "Basically all the popular expensive games" are all done by Aliexpress and other people are just buying them and reselling them. Etsy has loads of them. As you mentioned Retro Junkie too. Fishyfacegames who makes mostly boxed SNES repros is taking orders for their version of the Master Quest. However, all they did was take the Aliexpress version and put it in a blue cart and gave it a new label. It's certainly not worth $175 when Aliexpress sells their basic cart version for only $20.

In the end, I'm hoping Retrogates PCB opens the door to actual home brew games. They made few bucks on their Master Quest but most of their work is just to sell the PCB.
Edited by gamerjerome, Feb 21 2017, 09:49 PM.

Grey Variants - (9/14)

gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
Grizzmeister
Feb 22 2017, 12:42 PM
Hey gamerjerome, thanks for setting us all straight on the specifics.
:yeah:

Grey Variants - (9/14)

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply