Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
N-cyclopedia 64 - POWERED BY N64 FOREVER
Topic Started: Mar 27 2017, 06:39 AM (3,327 Views)
gamerjerome
Member Avatar
Established Member
No64DD
Apr 14 2017, 11:13 PM
Nice input gamerjerome!

Ok...
How or why would Shigeru contribute anything for the Anthology??
I took a look at the book again. It wasn't a direct interview, it was just a quote about gaming the used.
Twitter - Youtube - Collection

Controllers - Boxed US (8/8) - Blister (7/7)
Games - Sealed - (9) - Boxed (79) - Lose (77)
Grey Variants - (9/14)
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

D.J Cat
Member Avatar
Let me know If I can help!

Sounds good so far!

Intendall64
Member Avatar
@Italia, I am about to post something you may wish to include ;)

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Hi guys. I been very busy in the last month.
Luckily this week end I'm going to have time enough to work in the mock pages for kickstarter.

My Google Drive email is gabrieleatzori@gmail.com, feel free to send me everything you want for help. Thanks!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Hiya guys. So this project has been going on for about 2 months now and I want to update everyone but first I just wanted to be transparent on my feelings of being a head writer in this book.

Despite the fact that this book is being written by 3 people, all the information is coming from dozens of members and years worth of quality posts here and across the web. I feel the slightest bit uncomfortable at the fact that I, as a 19 year old newbie to the scene, may profit off the hard work of a bunch of people. I've already got a lot of reassurance on my role in this book but I still wonder if anyone resents the fact that I was chosen to write so much of it. I don't think I have much to worry about but I still wanted to make known that I'm aware that I'm in an odd position that plenty of other people could have filled. I am still not even sure about putting a real photo of myself into the book. Still, my name is going to be on it so I am doing my best to assure this isn't going to be something anyone regrets and I know everyone involved wants this to be something the entire community can satisfied with. I am quite literally working restlessly to make sure that happens because if something in this book is wrong I'm going to feel terrible.

Anyway, my whole dealio is that I help with game coverage and history. Mostly I'm a ďreviewĒ guy. I even bought all my own elgato stuff and now all I'm waiting for is the S-video cable so we can get original and high quality screenshots for every game. Correct screenshots too ;)

We are 22 complete reviews in, so yeah progress is slow so far but not a day goes by that we aren't making progress. I want to personally thank Pimpin Mainer for the N-Cyclopedia name. I don't think anyone wants to pay for a book with my personal opinions and anecdotes and the fact we are calling it an encyclopedia always helps keep that in my mind while writing.

I want to give you guys a taste of the style we are going for since I suppose some of you might be interested in this book. ďReviewsĒ so far have generally been close to or under 800 words not including history or any supplemental information. We try to keep it about the opinions of players in general and by that I mean the ones who really give the games a chance, all while still making it clear why someone could be turned off from a game. Our personal experience does help to judge this but we aren't inserting our biases into these ďreviewsĒ to the best of our human capabilities

This is one I like as an example because me and italia both wrote it. Often he will write a very detailed review but with some organization issues and English errors. Once we both write together to fix those mistakes we are able to cut down on words and organize the reviews into something I think is really good, but I'd like to hear some readers thoughts. Of course these are missing screenshots, formatting, and other stuff but these are just teasers.

------------Top Gear Rally 2-------------

Developed by: Kemco / Saffire
Published by: Kemco
Rumble Pak
Save: 6 pages Controller Pak for 3 files
Expansion Pak: Unlocks high-res mode
1-4 player

With a different development team and graphics engine Top Gear Rally 2 is a sequel in name only as it looks and plays nothing like its predecessor. The four-point suspension and realistic physics of Top Gear Rally have been simplified giving an overall arcade rally feel combined with an huge amount of simulation features.

The core of the game are the 5 cups of the Championship mode each with anywhere between 3 and 5 courses. The player has to finish the multiple legs of each course with the best overall time meaning that finishing first in every race is not required since racers start one at time.

Top Gear Rally 2 gameplay is heavily based on the damage and upgradable parts system. Tires can blow, water can short-circuit the computer board, and all parts can wear down from intensive use or accidents reducing their performance. In order to prevent failures it's not only important to avoid contact with other cars, walls, barriers, rocks, railroads etc., but also to upgrade the car parts with more reliable and high performance parts. Itís possible to repair parts between one leg and another but this will add penalty seconds to the overall time with the exception of tires which you can repair even during the racing. This gives the Championship mode a strategic aspect as the player must decide what parts need repairing and when they can afford a time penalty in order to survive. Plays must weigh when to drive aggressively to make up time and when to make careful overtakes and cleaner corners when they have a good lead on time.

As the title suggests races take places on multi-terrain roads across mountains, deserts, farmlands, and jungles, with all the rally games variables like night races, sand, snow, fog, mud, different intensities of rain, small streams to cross and more. Finding the right set-up of parts requires experience as the weather is not always predictable and some races have mixed combination of road surfaces. Every component has different specs but most are never clearly superior to their alternatives so itís not always clear which is the best compromise. Tires are definitely the most important part to consider since the choice will drastically change the performance of every race.

Progress lets the player earn Sponsorship Credits in order to repair or buy parts and Championship Points for unlock parts, cups and get new teams offers.
There are 14 different teams, a few with licensed cars while most have fictional names but are identical to their real life counterparts. Every car has its different behaviour and this going to change as more as the car is upgraded.

The game features a useful ARSG Rally School, a GranTurismo influenced mode, where the player has to practice different tasks and traversing obstacles. Hardcore racers will love to get all the gold licenses in this mode by mastering powerslides through hairpins without touching cones or being tested with different damage or weather conditions. Multiplayer modes include a 1-4 player arcade vs mode where car parts will not take damage and a very interesting team championship where 2 players race through the whole single player championship against a computer controlled team. The replay value is increased by a random track generator, available for players who have finished all the regular cups. It is possible to have dťjŗ vu sensations as even the normal tracks are composed by a certain number of different segments combined in a different order.

Graphics are a mixed bag but are overall opaque, blurry, and drab looking. Car bodies visually donít feature any damage either though itís possible to see new sponsorships appear as you achieve good results for your team. There is some attention to details to compensate like the mud which progressively accumulates over the body of the car and can be washed by driving through deep enough water. Tires kick up sand, mud, and dust depending on the terrain, bugs and stones mark the screen, cars leave skids and trails, and rain on the camera decreases visibility. The sense of speed in the beginning is very low but it get better with faster cars, the framerate is solid with some exceptions in multiplayer.

While the music is very understated and generic the sound effects are well recreated. Every engine makes a different noise which also changes after upgrades or if you break the muffler during the race. There are also different co-pilot voices and good assortment of other effects like parts damaging, splashes, wrecks.

Star rating: 4/5

You may like:

More arcade like racing physics
Strategic part damage/upgrade system
Replay value with ARSG School, random track, and 4 player modes

You may dislike:

Bland visuals and audio
Slow cars and failing parts in the beginning can be frustrating
High learning curve

The UK release of Top Gear Rally 2 was renamed TG Rally 2 despite no other entries in the series being changed. A trade mark from the UK Intellectual Property Office says in 1999 the BBC filed against Kemco for the use of the name

https://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/tm/t-os/t-find/t-challenge-decision-results/t-challenge-decision-results-bl?BL_Number=O/252/99

-----------------------------------------------

We have a You may like/dislike system which is different from pros and cons. Some aspects may be both a like and a dislike depending on what type of player you are. That way we can make it clearer that even good games have negatives and bad games have positives from different player perspectives. I hope everyone understands that when we list flaws we aren't saying they universally affect everyone's enjoyment

As you can see games are rated from half a star to 5 stars which is basically a 1-10 scale. I will make special note of this myself but the ratings are for the most part not important and personal enjoyment is completely subjective. Some games (Goldeneye, Ocarina, etc.) will get points for being games that defined the system and still help maintain its popularity today, even if they are riddled with flaws that some gamers may dislike ( No game is perfect, not even 5 star games. Plus if they didn't have 5 stars people would hate the book. I hope you understand what I mean)

As well as coverage for all the English releases I have made it a priority to cover Japanese games with the exact same amount of care as too often Japanese games are given less coverage due to the fact most people haven't played them. Of course this has to be done with my minimal knowledge of Japanese, using Google Translate to both play the games and translate every page of the manual as well as searching Japanese websites for coverage which Danilochka has helped with greatly.

I want to thank No64DD for personally helping me out with several Japanese manuals already including both Nushi Tsuri games. Anyway here is the review as it is now. It is one of the more feature rich, mechanically deep, and still relatively undiscussed Japanese exclusives.

-------------Nushi Tsuri 64-----------

Developed by: Victor Interactive Software
Published by: Pack-In-Soft (Pack-In-Video)
Saves: 1 file for each character saves on cartridge. Controller Pak saves 2 extra aquariums and insect cages for 1 page. These animals canít breed or die
Rumble pak
Transfer pak: Fish caught in Umi No Nushi Tsuri 2 will be added to your animal journal and can be viewed in 3D

With the first game releasing in 1990 on the original Famicom, Nushi Tsuri 64 is part of a prolific series of mostly Japanese exclusive life simulation/fishing games. The few installments released internationally were renamed to Legend of the River King in the U.S. and Harvest Fishing in Europe which is not a coincidence as some games were published by Natsume for their similarities to the more well known Harvest Moon series. The original and Harvest Moon 64 were published by Pack-in-Video in Japan and it is likely that many of the same developers worked on both seriesí as well.

There are 6 characters to choose from each with their own mission and legendary fish to catch. The game has 10 areas each with unique plants, wildlife, and fish to encounter depending on the time of day and the current season, as well as many fishing competitions and special items to find.

Fishing is a simple matter of waiting for a fish to circle the bobber and pressing A where the camera angle will change to show a 3D underwater view of the fish. From there you must keep the lure from floating to the surface until the fish bites. Then it's as simple as holding A to reel the fish in when it runs out of stamina so the line doesn't break. There are 102 types of fish to catch many of which can only be persuaded with specific bait or lures which mimic the shapes, movements, sounds, and light reflections of certain fish. The size of each rod determines which fish it is best suited to catch and some fish require boats like canoes or a tarai to reach and an anchor to avoid drifting away while fishing.

There are also 111 types of insects that can be caught and used as bait. The bugs and other small animals are caught with a unique first person view where you slowly zoom in and grab them with your hand or net. It's best to wait for the insects to be calm and unmoving because missing can cause them to fly away or get angry and try to attack. 40 types of flowers can also be found which you can snip, plant, or water to keep more sprouting up. Flowers can be easily sold for money and get bigger and more valuable the longer they grow.

Along with the insects there are also 50 larger animals to interact with like tanuki, goats, foxes, and various birds. You can befriend some animals like cats and bunnies which will give you health but animals like snakes or bears will attack instead. Running away takes time so often throwing weapons can make animals flee but this could also make others more aggressive and territorial.

Many things like animals and insects who attack, the passing of time, climbing slopes, rowing, and swimming will decrease physical strength and if the player passes out they have to return to the last statue they saved at. Eating food, interacting with friendly animals, and resting at inns restores strength. High strength is important for dealing higher damage to animals and being able to cast the fishing rod farther upstream so it doesn't startle any fish.

Taking fish, insects, and flowers as well as murdering animals in cold blood will lower their population. It is important to feed animals, water flowers, and not take every fish you catch so resources won't disappear. Fish and insects can be placed in the aquarium and insects cage to breed but if the tank isn't maintained and they aren't fed the correct food they will die. These creatures can then be used as bait or sold for money.

The game contains relaxing music and environmental sound effects adding to the relaxing atmosphere and some of the most detailed 2d art of any N64 game which is reminiscent of classic top down RPGís, a visual style rarely seen for the console.

Most of the challenge comes from identifying and gathering the correct resources to catch some of the rarer fish which makes the game very trial and error based. The biggest flaw with the game is that it can be very repetitive due to the slow nature of fishing and it is very challenging to play without knowing Japanese. The game also has less focus on character interaction and community events like Harvest Moon or Animal Crossing. It currently doesn't have a translation but it is worth a look for fans of slower paced simulation games.

Star Rating: 3.5/5

You may like:

Relaxing life simulations
Relatively simple and approachable fishing mechanics
Beautifully detailed 2d world with great music
Tons of unique mechanics and events

You may dislike:

Gameplay requires patience and trial and error which can be repetitive
Less focus on characters than similar games
Later areas can only be unlocked in certain seasons and time passes slowly

-------------------------

So, I would like some feedback about these overviews. Would you guys mind seeing a book with 388 of these? Obviously not all of them will be the same length or focus on the same aspects but these are good indicators. If you have legitimate criticism or ideas on how to improve these I would like to hear it.

If you have a collection of Japanese exclusive game manuals and you would like to help out please feel free to contact me. You will be credited and I won't upload the pictures anywhere else without your consent.

Edited by Shellshocker18, May 18 2017, 03:20 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Nice work Shellshocker! Yes, i would like to see every review. Will this include PAL exclusives?

A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Well yeah we are going to include every game from every region. This book is written from a more North American perspective so as of right now the format will be Ntsc-u and PAL released games in 1 section listed in Alphabetical order, with the Japanese exclusives being in their own separate section. Unfortunately I can't post every review but I may periodically throw some teasers into the thread if anyone is interested :P
Edited by Shellshocker18, May 13 2017, 01:28 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Sounds good.

I'm not sure how finalized the above reviews are, but i did find a few typos and grammar errors.

Side by side, they are a great contrast between games from different parts of the world. :yeah:

The Top Gear Rally 2 review was more engrossing. You can tell it has Italia's influence.

It's understandable that japanese games will not have the same familiarity, but i think there can be a few things done to polish them.

Nushi Tsuri, for example, has the word 'You' too many times. It should use more descriptive terms without distracting the reader.

Quote:

There are also 50 larger animals to interact with like tanuki, goats, foxes, and various birds. Animals will move around you and if they get close they may try to attack. You can run away but it takes time and you are likely to be damaged so throwing weapons at them which makes some animals run away but can make other more aggressive and territorial. You can befriend some animals like cats and and bunnies which will give you health. You use repellent to avoid random encounters will dangerous animals like snakes or bears and buy items like boots to run from battle with less risk of tripping.

This paragraph needs retooled. Other than that, these reviews are very solid! You are doing an excellent job.

My criticism is only meant to be constructive. :)
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Critisicm noted! I will do a little rewrite, part of the jankiness of Nushi Tsuri is that there is a ton of info to cram in 800 words so I realize if it sounds odd. It feels more information overload then other reviews I have written. There was lots of stuff I had to cut or move to the Nushi Tsuri 2 review. If you like I can send you some more examples of my work so far or maybe I can post one that I wrote on my own that isn't Japanese.

I'm sure there are some typos but we will have to reread all of them at some point and hopefully our editor can catch these.

I edited the Nushi Tsuri review once. I did use the word you too much.
Actually I edited it like 7 or 8 times. Fixed quite a few things though. Still not perfect but better at least
Edited by Shellshocker18, May 13 2017, 02:48 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Thanks for taking my suggestions into consideration.
I think reworking it really helped.

Edited by No64DD, May 14 2017, 10:04 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
One strong point of the project is going to be the quality of the screenshots. 100% original screenshots directly captured from N64 through S-Video cable.
Here's some samples.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

DABOMBEVERYPLAY
Member Avatar
This is gonna be a BIG FRIGGIN BOOK! It's gonna dwarf War and Piece!
Favorite Game: Super Mario 64

Favorite Level: Hazy Maze Cave

Least Favorite Level: Dire, Dire Docks

breeding_fear
Member Avatar
Established Member
Nice work guys!
Well, it seems that this is going to be the best N64 book ever written.. so you have to remember that you re making history here..

Something else.. it's a bit difficult though..
It would be nice if there was a pic of every game complete with everything it contained when it was released.. not just the box.. everything including posters.. i know that's a bit tough..
For example here's a pic of my Doom 64 when i bought it back in the days..

Posted Image
:n64: EUR PAL Games: 111/239

Pimpin Mainer
Member Avatar
When I shoot, I shoot to film
Little late to the party but glad you all liked the name I came up with!
My Nintendo Collection

NES - 93
SNES - 45 N64 - 147 Game Cube - 5 Wii - 45 Switch - 11

Nintendo Friend Code: SW-8019-6333-1909

Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
@Pimpin Mainer The name is good enough to sell books on its own so thank you! :yeah: Not sure if there will be a subtitle but we've got awhile to decide on that.

@breeding_fear It's going to be awhile before we start getting settled on pictures but we certainly wouldn't want to miss anything like posters or preorder/special edition trinkets. When we take into account every unique box manual, plastic tray, card, and promotional pamphlet in the world, including Japanese stuff, it would be a whole project on its own just to get that pictured and we would need cooperation from a lot of collectors. I do know we at least wanted to squeeze in every box variant. You'll have to wait for Dan or Italia to make a statement on that since it isn't my forte. We will see how it all goes and once a plan is set in motion I will pretend I was also in on it :mario:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tyree_Cooper
Member Avatar
Established Member
Hello, No64DD kindly introduced me to this project a few days ago. I'd love to contribute to the best of my knowledge, which relates mostly to Asian non-Japanese N64 material. I'll be happy to share something with him so that he may pass it to the other members involved. Here are some comments "on the spot" after going through the thread:

-- italia64's internal screenshots have different black borders. For example, Wipeout has a much thicker border. Is this normal?

-- My feeling is that the reviews are too long. I've never been an avid magazine reader so I may be biased here. Is 800 words a meaningful choice, like some kind of golden rule to keep a reader interested?

-- Box variants are definitely a must. How will you treat minor variations such as updated phone numbers or addresses on a box? Or boxes which are the same but have interesting stickers on them (not a price tag, I mean more official stickers like bonuses included, distributor stickers or similar)?

-- gamerjerome mentioned the ToC of the existing N64 Anthology (10 chapters). What is the tentative ToC of this book?

-- I have very mixed feelings toward rating every game. I understand why most books and websites always rate a game after introducing/reviewing it, but I just feel it's such a personal choice that I barely care about it nowadays. The reason is that, in the past, I avoided several games because of "general bad reviews" and later found out they were pretty good games in my opinion.
Also, like you said, you will be "forced" to rate "famous" games with 4 or 5 stars even if you have very good arguments about flaws and shortcomings, or if you think the game is overrated and can explain why.
My feeling is that such a book is supposed to be "above" ratings, a general and long-term guide for collectors and curious people alike, which does not need to put a rating to each game. Think of it as a car 'guide' or 'history book' written by experts. They won't rate a car with a number and won't bias the reader by saying "it's worth buying" or things like that. They will use their expert opinions to talk about all the facets of the car (history, development, performances, looks...) and remain as neutral as possible.

-- What's the plan with item photos (not screenshots)? Are you going to show flat scans, photos or both? For another gaming project we were mostly relying on scans:
~box front, back, left, right and top (since bottom had no information, but N64 games may require it)
~instruction manual front, back
~cartridge front
For items/parts that are usually the same or similar, like the back sticker of a cartridge, I believe it makes more sense to show them separately, in some kind of initial "guide". Then, you don't need to show a boring same-looking sticker every 2 pages. For example, if we have 5 revisions of US back stickers, we show them all together and then we can mention this information for each game ("This game has been seen with the back sticker no. 1, 3 and 4.").
I say this, but I have no idea how far you will go into the collecting part. To mention my previous project again, I went as far as opening each cartridge and analysing the PCB and plastic shells (which have number codes).

:yeah: :n64:
Edited by Tyree_Cooper, Jul 5 2017, 10:19 PM.

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Hi Tyree. I'm glad you're are interested and enthusiastic to help out. I heard you and Dan were talking. I agree with you on several things mainly that I also dislike most retro gaming books because they are incomplete, have incorrect info, and are generally very opinionated and don't take the opinions of others into account for anything. This project is nowhere near as far in development as people may think it is. Full printed books are very nice because they can last hundreds of years but like you say, you only have 1 print to get everything right unlike something like a website which can be updated.

Small thing, the black boarders can be easily removed from screenshots. Italia had accidently recorded while stretching the standard definition, that's why those examples look so strange. Wipeout 64 does look strange, maybe it runs in widescreen normally? Italia knows more about that than me. But the regular 640x480 screenshots we have been taking look really good.

I'm strictly a game guy so I'll just answer your questions on reviews. That was the whole reason I was picked up for this by Italia was to write reviews. The 2 above are just early examples but I don't want just reviews. Ideally I want the games fully covered. When they were announced, public reaction, where they were displayed or demoed, advertisements and events, any delays, how they changed throughout development. Comprehensive coverage of everything about the game that is currently known. That info is spread all over the place, deep within dozens of websites and 20 year old magazine articles, interviews that have happened in the past few years, and some is simply lost to time as we have unfortunatly found. Doing that in less than 800 words is impossible for 99% of games and I don't want to make my writing short and crappy to save space. Because I don't want to spend months or possibly years write filler nostalgia fluff to make an insignificant amount of money. I would love to feel like people learn something and other experts could read our writing and not be disappointed. But I'm one guy, it takes a long time, and this is taking its toll on me right now for sure.

As for ratings I agree with you there as well. I've wrestled with the inclusion and implementation of them everyday for the past 4 months. There is no guarantee they will be in the final product but people do find them fun to look at before they read a review.

These reviews aren't my opinion at all. First I write the facts like modes, controls, levels, features etc. and try to find some interesting facts like if it was the first game to do something unique. Then I go into what human beings think of the game because I think that's important to the games legacy even if opinions aren't factual like what would be included in an encyclopedia. I never word those as facts. I say something like "players who don't like _ may find this frustrating" or " This aspect of the game was highly praised for this or that reason but for some players this aspect was why they didn't like it because it can lead to _". That's why each review has the you may like/dislike instead of pros and cons. I can give real reasons why people dislike great games and real reasons why people enjoy bad games. The rating itself doesn't affect this. Let's say Goldeneye has 5 stars, that doesn't mean I won't list like 10 things people don't like about that game. But that proves your point that being forced to give certain games high to ratings defeats the point of being informational. More popular games will always have more praise and scrutiny than smaller games so those ratings are especially controversial.

The rating isn't a mark of quality, it's based on what other people have experienced. None of my reviews of "bad" games are made hastily. I don't ignore what people enjoy. I scour the internet looking for diverse opinions and filter out stuff that is odviously not serious or were made by people who put no thought into what they were saying. I would never describe something as overrated because it isn't factual and it's better to explain why the high rating exists rather then try to explain them away. Trust me I've learned no matter how bad something is I can find people online who like it for one reason or another. We all have bad games we enjoy. Same with good games. No matter how good or groundbreaking, all good games have major issues for certain types of players. I know because I myself have many good games I don't enjoy, though I have respect for them and can see the good. I was going to take the space under my authors note to make it clear the ratings are less important than the writing, but agin they may not exist by the end.

I'll wait for the others so they can answer anymore questions because this post is long and took me an hour. That's the danger of something like this for me, trying to explain all my thoughts over 1 interaction is impossible. But anyone is free to ask me about reviews anytime. I can provide more examples to people interested. I would post some more early stuff but there's no guarantee I would get any feedback. I don't like being secretive about the process because this is something everybody should be allowed to have a say in.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Jul 6 2017, 01:21 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tyree_Cooper
Member Avatar
Established Member
Got it, thanks a lot.

I understand your points and agree, in fact I wasn't commenting based on the two reviews you posted (I should have made this clear, sorry), which look great. It was more of a general comment and warning, because your job here will be incredibly long and harsh. I reckon it will take months if not years. This is why I was wondering if 800 words wasn't too much for what is basically a game catalog with photos and detailed release information.

I totally love the idea of describing the games from the history/dev/promo side, I think collectors and enthusiasts are looking forward to this even more than good reviews. This is information that is absolutely scattered around the real world (magazines etc.) and the virtual world (websites, forums etc.), just as you said. If you could bring all the most important and meaningful information in one place, it will be an invaluable source to go back to time and time again.

Do not take it personally (I know you didn't), mine was a very personal opinion on game reviews. When I was discussing how to handle the game descriptions for my past project with the main project guy, we were thinking of either not doing a review at all ("Not the point of the book, people can read reviews anywhere, there is no added value in repeating that Link's Awakening is a great game because blah and blah."), or just a very brief game introduction/review, 1-3 small paragraphs maximum. So again, I am a bit biased as I keep on looking at this N64 project as geared toward collectors, and it may not be the case.

So I think your reviews look real good and I certainly wouldn't be able to do any better. If I had to keep one comment, but it's more a question than a comment, it would be: "Make sure you are fully confident that 800 words is the right number." Once you're done with 50 reviews and realise they are too short/long or not OK for whatever reason, it will be a serious pain to change everything.

All clear for the pics, I'm sure those internal screenshots at native resolution will be amazing. The examples posted look great already.

As for a final rating, well, you got my point. I also understand most readers will EXPECT a rating if there's a review. It's just that it doesn't add much value to me; moreover, imagine we are 20 guys finalising this thing and we end up not agreeing on ratings and it all turns sour.

In the end, I am not a decision-maker in here, so I just want to put some thoughts and opinions on the table, to make sure you guys haven't forgotten anything. When you are sure that you are doing the right things in the right way, then it is just a matter of time and nothing can shake up (or shake down?) the project. Draw a clear line to define what you want to do and how far you want to go, and you will be left with only a few easy-to-handle exceptions. :yeah: :yeah:

Vinyl
Member Avatar
Veteran
I heard what was going on inside the book.. Geez! absolutely insane and i`m proud to witness this :D

As an 'Veteran' member I had some amazing experience on N64F and would love to be a part of this, please do. make me a part of this :D

I admit I cannot help regarding the game section, but console/N64DD wise count me in, I can provide anything you need, stories/ads/systems/devs/protos/package variations and everything N64DD related (and it's not just an addon and 9 games ;) )

I also have contact with Rare now and then and have some devs on social media, I can (Maybe) put you guys in contact with Rare employees who worked on N64 games like JFG and Conker etc, would do anything to make this happen.

https://www.consolevariations.com/
The Ultimate Console Database

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

italia64
Member Avatar
Veteran
Hi guys it's time for an update.

N-Cyclopedia 64 project is running at all cylinders.
Personally Iím working on it more than 30 hours per week (when not far more), and Iím loving every minute of it. This because this console is great, and because my collaborators are amazing. Theyíre patient enough to deal with my bad English and my obsession for details, which stuck us on a single sentence for annoying amounts of time.

The mighty Shellshocker18 is impressively dealing good even with the Japanese exclusives, fighting the language barrier and providing the most complete and detailed review I ever read about some obscure (or famous) games from the Land of the Rising Sun.

While Danilochka help was originally supposed to remain in the collecting/databases borders, now our English resource is helping even to correct my review where itís needed a European eye, meaning F1 and soccer games, that are now all reviewed.

Iím glad to tell you that now No64DD is our special consultant. His wiseness, his love for details, and his passion are at the service of this noble N64 crusade.

The project is now near to the 80.000 words written, meaning we probably didnít reach even the 20% of the total work. We are focusing on the quality, multiple checking, and constant research for the more aseptic and objective contents, still not renouncing to an interesting form. At least this is our scope.

Often we donít agree with a score (me and Shell argue a lot for a half score), or with a sentence, but itís part of the game, and this is what I wanted. Confrontation makes perfect.

Personally Iím proud to have built this team, and to say that N-Cyclopedia 64 path is oriented towards a level of quality and completeness that honestly I didnít imagined in the beginning.

For those worried about screenshots, they are now all in 4:3 (with some exception made for games who support 16:9) and they show different moments of every game, meaning weíre literally playing through every game until the end just in order to provide variety, a fair representation of the gamesí different moments, and to check with our eyes everything is going to be written in our book.

Here some examples. Iím sure N64 lovers are going to enjoy these images (screenshots quality really benefits of small sizes, meaning pics are going to be very good looking in the book format):

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Edited by italia64, Aug 19 2017, 03:20 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Beautiful pics. Belissimo!!

Things have come a long way in the short time i've been here. I am thankful to be here with such members.
I know this certainly wasn't an overnight decision to take on a 4th teammate, and a lot of work goes into every decision this project makes.

Let's do this! 8)
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

buddy1983
Member Avatar
Veteran
Looking good :)
Youtube

Wii U user name: Read1ngFC (thats a one and not a i)

Switch friend code SW-4595-4819-7191

UK resident

Posted Image

I'm currently playiing triangle in a reggae band. I just stand in the back and Ting

breeding_fear
Member Avatar
Established Member
Well done guys! You ll make all N64 lovers really happy!
:n64: EUR PAL Games: 111/239

Kamikaze
Very nice project guys. As you're going for a database-like book, is it an idea to include board-scans as well? Mostly because of the rise of repro games for N64. It might be a pain in the :donkey: since you're dealing with 3 regions as well and boards probably will vary between regios and maybe even with print runs. But, I do believe this forum has a pretty big (US) database as well. I might be able to provide some PAL scans as well. Added value here is the knowledge of real versus fake games.

Another one that is new, but may be nice to include is the repro and (if there is any) homebrew scene of the N64. Just one or two pages on when and how it started, why it took so much longer than NES and SNES, commonly faked games and noteworthy homebrews. I do realise it might get outdated over time, as new homebrews or ports pop up, but the "dark side of gaming" (i.e. Repro games) can make a nice read as well, as very little is covered on the subject.

Other than that: really looking forward to this book. Keep up the good work and sign me up for 2 copies :D

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Kamikaze
Aug 20 2017, 02:03 PM
Very nice project guys. As you're going for a database-like book, is it an idea to include board-scans as well? Mostly because of the rise of repro games for N64. It might be a pain in the :donkey: since you're dealing with 3 regions as well and boards probably will vary between regios and maybe even with print runs. But, I do believe this forum has a pretty big (US) database as well. I might be able to provide some PAL scans as well.
Sorry for anyone in the thread if it ever seems we aren't answering questions. I don't because this project is still pretty early. Though work is being done I still think it's still in a stage where things are always changing.

So, including board pictures of every game. I took most the U.S board pictures and in general, most N64 games use the same shaped boards. It think that at the very least, we can include pictures of all the typical boards, and any games that have unique board shapes like Ogre Battle or Waialae, with a list of what games use that board type, as well as explain what the inside of a board consists of. I think that's enough to help people understand and avoid bad fakes. Realistically, getting pics of every board requires a ton of cooperation and takes up lots of page space. There's also a high chance we miss one then I feel like crap we missed something nobody would notice was missing. It may not be worth including that in the book, but of course that could all change.

Also I'm sure a small home brew will be included as it seems to me here is very little going on in that scene. I'd have to do some research. A section dedicated to what the N64 has been doing since it became antiquated would include lots of things. Rom hacks, translations, N64 programming, fan projects and custom hardware. Lots of stuff. It's the fans that keep any console alive with these sorts of things.

Again, glad to see the enthusiasm from everyone. Even if work is slow, i hope by the end we have something that's unmatchable in quality. The day we have enough done to really start sharing with everybody will be exciting. Questions are always welcome in here, this is everyone's book.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Aug 25 2017, 05:08 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tyree_Cooper
Member Avatar
Established Member
nice snapshots :)

bluedogrulez
Member Avatar
Racing for Fulcon Capital
One photo that would be really helpful would be the english menu screen of Sin & Punishment (wii U VC version has one).
Switch Friend Code: SW-0786-9287-1202 (bluedogBDR)
MK8Deluxe Tourney: N64Forever.com 2332-7277-8283
Nintendo Network ID: BDR2010 / Twitter: @bluedogrulez
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
bluedogrulez
Aug 25 2017, 04:32 PM
One photo that would be really helpful would be the english menu screen of Sin & Punishment (wii U VC version has one).
So I got your message about that. With Japanese games, I'm doing my best to ensure the reader can use my writing to understand the game, but it still takes initiative on the part of players to figure out things like menu's or what the words on the options screens do.

With Sin & Punishment specifically, it has menu translations online, actually it even has a full N64 translation, and honestly its a very easy menu to figure out anyway. So let's say I do include a translated screenshot of the menu, should I do all the sub menus as well? Sure the game is easy to play without a translation, but what about all the other Japanese games with insanely complicated menus? This would be like if I translated every menu option in Nushi Tsuri or Sugoroku. I don't see the point of translating all those screens because it takes up too much space and even if I translate menus, players will still have to translate the rest of the game themselves, so in the end I barely helped them at all. I trust that anyone who both has interest in Japanese games and is willing to pay for an N-Cyclopedia 64 is smart enough to navigate Japanese menus.

I'm not coming off like a jerkass right? I really just don't see it as being worth the page space.
Edited by Shellshocker18, Aug 25 2017, 06:12 PM.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

aeiko
Member Avatar
Great stuff so far guys keep it up, glad to be in it :D and I like the name too, will check back here for updates :)

Intendall64
Member Avatar
Sounds epic so far. Can't sit to see how this progresses. Not sure what I can contribute but if you need anything let me know! 😀

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create your own social network with a free forum.
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: