Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Competitive Smash 64 Discussion
Topic Started: Apr 3 2017, 11:57 AM (350 Views)
ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
Though it's largely overshadowed by Melee and Smash 4 in terms of tournament participation, the original Super Smash Bros. has a faithful fanbase and a growing presence in the community. Tournament play usually looks something like this.

4 stock now! (Was 5 stock - as opposed to Melee's 4, Brawl's 3, and 3DS/Wii U's 2)

8 minute time limit - There is a popular mod going around that adds the timer to stock matches among other things - it's called 19xx Tournament Edition and definitely worth checking out :)

Items off - all Smash games share this quality to emphasize skill over random chance

Dream Land only - It takes a little getting used to at first, especially with the other games in the series having more "tournament-friendly" stages to choose from, but all football fields are essentially the same so you learn to live with just one :)

The community also has a tier list though the general consensus is that the game is fairly balanced compared to some of the others. I appreciate how all 12 characters get some play as opposed to about 6 or 7 out of the 26 in Melee.

S: Pikachu (aka Rat), Kirby
A: C. Falcon, Fox, Yoshi
B: Jigglypuff, Mario
C: Samus, DK, Ness, Link, Luigi

I thought this would be a good place to discuss the game, the meta, etc. Which character is your favorite to use for fun and which character is your go-to to play to win? I'm also curious as to see why people who play the game competitively prefer this iteration over Melee or the other Smash games.
Edited by ItalianBaptist, Aug 22 2017, 08:54 PM.
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Rocky
Member Avatar
Smash 64 has a special place in my heart with all the hours I put into it. I remember playing it with my friends after school then with my cousins over the weekend. I played Samus back then and the same today, just because I always loved the Metroid games and that landing a charge shot felt so amazing. I didn't really find out about the competitive scene until I watched the Smash Bros Documentary by Samox in 2014. That inspired me to play Melee and go to tournaments and I've been keeping an eye on the 64 scene ever since then too. I prefer Melee because I feel like I have more freedom with movement options/Samus is more fleshed out, but the more flashy combo/hitstun oriented stuff in 64 is so entertaining to watch as a spectator.
Posted Image

StylinProfilin
Member Avatar
Rocky
Apr 3 2017, 03:38 PM
Smash 64 has a special place in my heart with all the hours I put into it. I remember playing it with my friends after school then with my cousins over the weekend. I played Samus back then and the same today, just because I always loved the Metroid games and that landing a charge shot felt so amazing. I didn't really find out about the competitive scene until I watched the Smash Bros Documentary by Samox in 2014. That inspired me to play Melee and go to tournaments and I've been keeping an eye on the 64 scene ever since then too. I prefer Melee because I feel like I have more freedom with movement options/Samus is more fleshed out, but the more flashy combo/hitstun oriented stuff in 64 is so entertaining to watch as a spectator.
I tried getting into Smash on WiiU but it didn't seem the same.

Coming from a guy who skipped GameCube and Wii entirely, it - while still certainly Smash - felt a little lackluster compared to the 64 version. Maybe that's just nostalgia though.

Probably.

ItalianBaptist
Member Avatar
A lot of the decisions in Smash for Wii U are very much driven by the community's reaction to Melee and Brawl so they're kind of important for context. There are some design choices that I personally don't care for but that's subjective. My main concern with Smash 4 is its limited lifespan. Once we get a smash bros for the switch, whether a port or something entirely new, everyone will probably flock to it and the game will be dead (like Brawl is now).

Melee's hardcore fans probably will never leave because Sakurai won't make another game like it, but to me Smash 64 is timeless too. The community's a lot smaller but they tend to get more creative. At most major events they've been doing a combo contest in training mode as a side event. Also there are different variations of 12 character battles that present a chess-like situation where the player has to know all the "pieces" in his army inside and out.

I missed Super Smash Con - again - but I heard for 64 it was a huge success :)
It must be exciting to never have played a Zelda game before - No64DD

« Previous Topic · Gaming Competitions & Achievements · Next Topic »
Add Reply