Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
N64 Console/Controller Prototypes Newly Discovered!!; N64 Console Debut
Topic Started: Apr 18 2017, 10:18 AM (1,301 Views)
Intendall64
Member Avatar
I was extremely lucky recently and was given the opportunity to purchase not one but 5 prototype N64 Consoles as well as 5 prototype N64 Controllers from an ex-Nintendo employee friend of mine in Germany (who will remain anonymous). As this is such an amazing community full of passionate collectors I thought it was only right these items were shared here first!

It’s probably best if I give provide the back story on why these prototypes were made and where they came from. The prototype consoles, as well as the Clear White/Atomic Purple console you have all seen, originally came from Nintendo of Europe, based in Germany. Nintendo of Europe and Nintendo of America are allowed to operate freely and try new things with all final decisions made by Nintendo Company Limited based in Japan (at least this was the case at the time). NoE created these prototypes as part of a colour survey before the Funtastic range was released. The marketing department conducted the survey and the colours that were deemed to work best together, as a set, became the Funstastic series we know and love today. As these prototypes are fully working (I’ve tested them all) they weren’t immediately destroyed but instead were used in the marketing department as ‘working’ consoles and used to take screen shots, test games, etc. and just generally used for day to day work. Towards the end of the N64 lifespan this marketing team was absorbed by another department and at that time the prototypes were either destroyed or in some cases, like this, saved by the employees who used to work on them! This is really interesting as my friend doesn’t know the numbers that were originally made or how many were saved in total (Not many though). My friend knew of the Clear White/Atomic Purple and also knows of 2 other consoles that were definitely saved; the Clear White and also Clear Milky Blue to go with the controllers I purchased.

Warning: Teaser Photo 8)

Posted Image

How can you tell they're prototypes?

Well firstly you can tell because the colours are all different to the known variants that are out there (see further down for all the pictures). Secondly, all the prototypes that were released have Grey game cartridge flaps on the consoles. The consoles also do not have any tags/serial numbers on the underside as they were not production consoles. I have closely examined the consoles and pads and apart from this they are identical in shape and features to the production consoles. The Controllers are also identical to their production counterparts except for the Plug end pieces which are all Grey, except for the Clear White which has an Atomic Purple plug. This again is obviously because they were for a colour survey and there was no need to spend money to create matching end pieces.

How has all this come about?

I first met my friend (the original owner) over a year ago when I purchased a Majoras Mask Adventure set from them. At the time they sent me the below picture of a box full of N64 consoles. I didn’t think anything of it back then as I just focused on the consoles which looked familiar and completely over-looked the others (the obvious Clear Pink and Clear Ocean Blue!)

Posted Image

About a month ago my friend told me they would be selling more of their Nintendo items and would I be interested. My interest spiked immediately and to begin with I bought a Minish Cap and Orcacle of Ages/Seasons Adventure Set as well as a Mint Virtual boy console (not trying to brag, I want people to understand that they had some amazing items). They also sent some promotional items with everything I bought. This is when they again bought up the consoles and sent me the exact same photo as before….this time I noticed the blue and pink consoles! I asked for some further pictures (see below) to start with and it just went from there.

Can you spot the prototype controllers? :yeah:
Posted Image

Before they were cleaned! They were clearly put to hard work back in the day!
Posted Image

In the first package that came through I received the Clear Ocean Blue console with matching pad, as well as the Clear White and Clear Milky Blue Controllers. I took this pic of them all together with the Grape Purple to compare to.

Posted Image

I knew at this point that I had something special and so contacted my friend to thank them and buy the remaining four consoles, 1 with matching controller. Amazingly they contacted me again today to let me know they had found the Red controller to go with the Red Prototype console and that is now on its way so I can complete the set!! This brings us to today when the remaining consoles and pads finally arrived and I can now share with all of you. Enjoy the Photos :D :D :D :D

Everything together!!
Posted Image

Atomic Purple/Pink Console with Production controller (for reference) :omg:
Posted Image

Clear Ocean Blue (My Favourite)!!
Posted Image

For the Dark Green and Deep Red consoles you'll notice how they are less transparent than the Production released Watermelon Red and Jungle Green consoles. The green is very obvious in the pictures. The Red is also obvious as there is no pink tinge to the consoles, it is just a deep red.

Clear Deep Grass Green!!
Posted Image

Clear Deep Red!!
Posted Image

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Intendall64
Member Avatar
TofuJunky87
Apr 18 2017, 03:54 PM
Mind. Blown.

You have a veritable gold mine there my friend. Made better by the fact that you probably paid no where near what the market would drive prices to on those. Atomic Purplewas always one of my favorite colors and that console is just the berries man.

I would love to see more pictures of all sides of everything just to take it all in if you have time in the future.

Btw is the red controller deep red or the regular watermelon?. It's hard to tell the difference with that color
Thanks mate! Yeh the Atomic purple console is very special! I've taken a few more pictures of it actually and will upload them soon!

The red controller in this photograph is the regular Watermelon. It is harder to see the difference but the first give-away is the lightness, the 2nd the transparency. The seller didn't know they actually still had the controller for the red console and I got a surprise message today to tell me it was in a different box and that it was on it's way which is really nice of them. When it arrives I'll take more comparison pictures.

Intendall64
Member Avatar
No64DD
Apr 19 2017, 08:52 AM
As Intendall mentioned, we have been familiar with the handful of shots of the Atomic Purple/Clear prototype console for quite a while.
There was one pic in particular that always stood out, and i'd like to bring some attention to it.

Regardless of who owns this version of the Atomic Purple console now, the pics related to it are older and you can tell in this one above, that it has been cleverly cropped.
It was said that in this pic there were a few prototype consoles, including a 'green' version.

Before any of these new developments emerged, one could only assume that it would have meant that an Extreme Green console was made as well.
If you look at the colors that were released at that time, it really seemed to make sense. Very wishful thinking!
Nevertheless, i think it's safe to say that the green console that was rumored back then would almost have to be the 'dark green' prototype console we now see today thanks to Intendall64.

I found this important to add because given the original origins of all these consoles, i believe they are all equally part of the same story.
Some amazing insights there! I love the similarities to some of the Gameboys that were released at the time too!!

Having read this and after talking to other people I would have to agree that this is most likely the Green prototype that was rumored. Another reason why I think this is because the Extreme green was a Nintendo of America only release as we didn't get the controller in Europe. All of these prototypes so far have been Nintendo of Europe made and I think it's unlikely to have been designed in Europe and only released in the Americas.

Can anyone confirm when the Extreme Green Controller was released, the dates may help to confirm this too!

@i8ablueskittle, they didn't mention an extreme green version. There will have been a prototype console for each of the Funtastics that were finally released. I think it's likely each of those had a slightly alternate version for the colour (like the Grass Green, Deep Red, Ocean Blue). For all we know the Funtastic prototypes could be floating around the market as apart from the grey cart flaps they would be identical really...they may also have been destroyed. The person I bought from said there weren't many in total though, I know there is a Milky Blue console and Clear White. So this might be all of them really....but you never know.

Intendall64
Member Avatar
No64DD
Apr 20 2017, 01:34 PM
Intendall64
Apr 20 2017, 02:10 AM

Can anyone confirm when the Extreme Green Controller was released, the dates may help to confirm this too!

It was in 1st quarter 1998. That's also when it started showing up in magazines here.
That's really interesting. What about the funtastics, from what I can see they were released in 2000? You never know but maybe there was an Extreme Green console made in North America but they decided it didn't work as a stand alone console or they knew the Funtastics were in the works and that series was preferred. From what my friend said they made controllers to go with all their prototype consoles!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
« Previous Topic · Gaming & General Nintendo 64 Discussion · Next Topic »
Add Reply