Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Nintendo 64 Forever. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
  • Pages:
Right Now Might be the Best Time to be Collecting for N64
Topic Started: May 3 2017, 08:47 PM (1,540 Views)
i8ablueskittle
and it tasted good...
I think we can all agree that this community has slowed down significantly.

When I came in 2012, as far as I could tell, we were just ramping up to go into an enormous boom of new collectors. In my case (and I'm assuming quite a few others), I got into collecting as I had just started my first job and had money with very little bills. I used this to my advantage to feed my nostalgia cravings and developed a love for collecting things that reminded me of the great times I had playing N64 as a child. We began to see tons and tons of collections popping up, and along with that, a huge demand for everything N64 followed.

Over the past year (or longer), it seems, many of these collectors have died off, along with that demand. For me, I started college, moved out, and the bills began to pile up. I moved away from collecting and began to spend my little money on the necessities - and even sold off part of my collection. I'm sure this, or similar circumstances, was also the demise of many other young collectors, or simply that it was too expensive to begin with or even just a phase.

With summer starting soon, my school work has slowed down and I finally made a return back here to check out any news. I was extremely pleasantly surprised to see the discovery of some new prototype consoles and controllers (which are my main area of collecting) here http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/9011282 as well as a strange rebirth of some FoxData consoles and controllers.

This all brought me back to when I first came into the scene and the Geoffrey and Hello Mac controllers had been recently discovered. They were so mystical and rare back then that it really made me fall in love with the thrill of searching for these types of things. I came to the site 4 or 5 times a day just to check out the ebay topic thread and was constantly on ebay and yahoo auctions searching for my next great finds. Now, so many of these items and pretty much any other discovered item have flooded the market due to low demand now from new collectors.

This got me thinking about how now is the best time ever to be collecting. Yes, as we go on, less and less new things will be discovered, but now there's so much on the market that we can build our collections probably much cheaper and faster than before in the boom. However, I'm sure there's still some kind of undiscovered goodies out there for us to find (extreme green console, anybody?).

I'm sure once my generation moves on and gets their big kid jobs, we'll see another surge in collectors. As we can see from NES collectors, Nintendo collections never die. In the meantime, I know I'll be getting back to beefing up my collection, upgrading conditions, and searching for new hidden treasures.

As the dedicated collectors, let's keep this community alive and thriving and I'm excited to dive back in and contribute where I can. :wub: :n64:
Forever searching for 1080 Snowboarding and 1080 Avalanche items.
Love N64 Prototypes and Unreleased games.
PM me or email me at i8ablueskittle@gmail.com
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
I have to agree and disagree. I agree it is a good time to be collecting because I am collecting and if I genuinely thought it wasn't a good time then you might ask the question well why are you collecting.

Certainly in the UK there have been more and more collectors coming onto the scene. More people collecting consoles and more people going for a full game set. I am a member on game group Facebook pages and able to see the faces behind the collectors. Whenever N64 items come up, particularly rarer or minty titles, people are all over it like vultures. I'd say demand is higher than ever and that's pushing prices up even more.

When you are paying prices near 10x as much as like 3 years ago for certain rare games (certainly in the UK), how can you say it is a good time to collect? A good time was years back when things were cheaper, even adjusting for inflation.

Fortunately, I started seriously adding to my original N64 collection in 2014 so a lot of my consoles and games have appreciated based on the market rate since I purchased them. However, with 45 odd games to go some of the prices are insane. Even a PAL copy of a game as crud as Madden 99 in mint condition will cost a fair bit and it's just because it's such an uncommon title over here.

I appreciate game prices in the US are not as bad from what I have seen, apart from like a few of the exclusives or rarer titles. It is for this reason I have quite a few NTSC titles in my collection as a proxy for the PAL version just because I can get it cheaper and minter than what a PAL version would cost. So a battered Milo Astro Lanes in PAL would cost about £100, I got a mint NTSC one for £50 (that includes shipment from US to UK and a small import duty!!!). No brainer for me. It's English, I can play it, I have a US, Jap and European N64.

Apologies for the rant. But yeah for me prices are going up and it's getting competitive to try and land rare games you need with other collectors all swarming around them as well. Plus finding stuff in the wild is harder now with more traders, flippers and scalpers about. More than ever. Which they are perfectly entitled to do - but can be annoying.

From what I have heard things are a lot more expensive in Australia than the UK so I shouldn't moan too much.
Edited by Milage007, May 4 2017, 02:25 AM.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Follow my N64 Instagram - milage007_n64

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

i8ablueskittle
and it tasted good...
Milage007
May 4 2017, 02:19 AM
I have to agree and disagree. I agree it is a good time to be collecting because I am collecting and if I genuinely thought it wasn't a good time then you might ask the question well why are you collecting.

Certainly in the UK there have been more and more collectors coming onto the scene. More people collecting consoles and more people going for a full game set. I am a member on game group Facebook pages and able to see the faces behind the collectors. Whenever N64 items come up, particularly rarer or minty titles, people are all over it like vultures. I'd say demand is higher than ever and that's pushing prices up even more.

When you are paying prices near 10x as much as like 3 years ago for certain rare games (certainly in the UK), how can you say it is a good time to collect? A good time was years back when things were cheaper, even adjusting for inflation.

Fortunately, I started seriously adding to my original N64 collection in 2014 so a lot of my consoles and games have appreciated based on the market rate since I purchased them. However, with 45 odd games to go some of the prices are insane. Even a PAL copy of a game as crud as Madden 99 in mint condition will cost a fair bit and it's just because it's such an uncommon title over here.

I appreciate game prices in the US are not as bad from what I have seen, apart from like a few of the exclusives or rarer titles. It is for this reason I have quite a few NTSC titles in my collection as a proxy for the PAL version just because I can get it cheaper and minter than what a PAL version would cost. So a battered Milo Astro Lanes in PAL would cost about £100, I got a mint NTSC one for £50 (that includes shipment from US to UK and a small import duty!!!). No brainer for me. It's English, I can play it, I have a US, Jap and European N64.

Apologies for the rant. But yeah for me prices are going up and it's getting competitive to try and land rare games you need with other collectors all swarming around them as well. Plus finding stuff in the wild is harder now with more traders, flippers and scalpers about. More than ever. Which they are perfectly entitled to do - but can be annoying.

From what I have heard things are a lot more expensive in Australia than the UK so I shouldn't moan too much.
I'm judging this mostly based on the activity that I see here. It seems like it's almost become a ghost town compared to 2-2.5 years ago.

I also am judging mostly based on my experiences with collecting consoles and controllers rather than games. Games might be a more common thing to collect and therefore may have gained collectors rather than lost a lot (like consoles and controllers seem to have done).

It seems worth mentioning that I'm also in the US.

As you've stated there are more traders, flippers and scalpers. As for my collecting I never find consoles or controllers in the wild anyway. I probably bought 75% of my things on ebay and 25% on yahoo auctions. Finding things in the wild was never even really been an option for me. Luckily there's also an upside to the flux of scalpers and such - more volume. Like I said before, consoles and controllers that were once mystical are now flooded on ebay for a fraction of the price. As these scalpers sit on these items even longer, surely they'll eventually drop the price in order to get rid of their items AND to beat their own competition in the market. I definitely see this as a plus. Also, gives us a greater variation of conditions to chooose from.

I have a feeling that game collecting, like you've mentioned, may be a whole different ball game - sorry, I should have clarified.

The White Falcon
Member Avatar
In the US N64 prices have climbed a bit, but not a lot, not for most titles. Collectors seem to have driven SNES into the stratosphere, then jumped on to the GameCube.

Cabanon
Elite
resellers are the big problems sadly, but those who buy at insane price at also to blame. I quit collecting for this particular reason. too pricey and not fun at all anymore. priorities also shifted.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
i8ablueskittle
May 3 2017, 08:47 PM
When I came in 2012, as far as I could tell, we were just ramping up to go into an enormous boom of new collectors.
I wonder if YouTube was largely responsible for fueling that boom?

It was inevitable that the retro game collecting craze would cool down over time but I think things went sour quicker because of all the shady practices by sellers on eBay.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
@i8ablueskittle,
hey was this yours?

ebay
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

i8ablueskittle
and it tasted good...
No64DD
May 4 2017, 02:38 PM
@i8ablueskittle,
hey was this yours?

ebay
Nope! Good memory though, I still have all of my strange Japanese demo games including aero gauge

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
It is pretty neat to see another on then! I remember you had your copy for sale at one time. I'm sure it's rare, but the one above is nearly twice as much than you were asking!
It has to be the most expensive loose jpn N64 game ever. :lol:

That just sounds funny when i say it to myself.
I think it touches on your point about resellers. Where do they find these prices??

Quote:

I think we can all agree that this community has slowed down significantly.

I have heard this several times lately from different perspectives, and each time a part of me can't help but take some offense to it...

Maybe i'm the wrong person to comment, but i have to disagree.
I've been active here for a handful of years and it's been one helluva party the entire time, and i wouldn't trade it for anything else! :dance:
Edited by No64DD, May 4 2017, 05:53 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
No64DD
May 4 2017, 05:40 PM
I've been active here for a handful of years and it's been one helluva party the entire time, and i wouldn't trade it for anything else! :dance:
So happy to see that you know how to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. Play your games, collect what you can, fellowship with others who share similar interests and be happy. Life is too short to worry about things that you don't physically own.
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

Posted Image

TofuJunky87
Member Avatar
Do you tofu?
Collecting in the US, I have noticed more variety and seemingly rarer pieces surfacing in the wild now that more and more items are being discovered or collecting as a whole is growing for the 64. On the other hand, I have also noticed prices rising steadly. On most items, the increase is subtle and only noticeable over several years but other items have increased sharply. I can't believe what my copy of Stunt Racer 64 is now worth vs. what I paid for it (hence which is why I snapped up all of the Blockbuster exclusives as fast as I could).

I feel like there are lifecycles to game systems. It goes something like this, with a little give or take in the years:

Brand new - near the end of the console life: Everything is pretty expensive except for trash games. Considered "current gen"
3 - 5 years after console ends: Prices start dropping, but are still elevated. Considered "previous gen"
5 - 15 years: Prices hit their lowest. This is the sweet spot to collect. Now considered "just old=uncool"
15+: Games transition from "old" to "retro" which basically means from uncool to cool again.

There are exceptions to the rule and every console is different, but just a general observation I've seen. By my estimates, N64 will only get worse from here as far as prices are concerned.
Edited by TofuJunky87, May 4 2017, 10:08 PM.
Current 64 Collection: Grey, Jungle, Fire, Ice, Smoke, Watermelon, Grape, Gold, JP Blue/Clear, Daiei Hawks
Current Game Count: 324
Current Controller Count: 32

:n64: 4ever

Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
No64DD
May 4 2017, 05:40 PM
Maybe i'm the wrong person to comment, but i have to disagree.
Yeah I disagree as well. There has been quite a lot going on the last few months with the whole Foxdataltd episode and then not long after Intendall with his awesome prototype discovery. Quite a lot of N64 history unearthed after all these years for the first time EVER.

Perhaps I am biased, because I speak to fellow collectors outside of the forum some who are active members on here and some who are not, almost on a daily basis, so perhaps I feel like it's going on more than it is. I always encourage people to give this site a visit who I speak to about the N64 as it is a great community to be a part of.

To bring us back on topic, I totally agree with you Tofu about it only getting worse from here on in. As more titles, especially minty, get in collectors hands, the supply is drying up. Yes there will always be people who give up and sell etc but they usually have a reason (e.g I had three games off a collector who had a wedding to pay for) and they were mint but let me tell you this they know the value and they don't just give them away. I got a good deal because I am a friend but generally speaking you will have to pay for this stuff.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tupac Shakur - 'You know itís funny, when it rains it pours they got money for wars but canít feed the poorí

i8ablueskittle
and it tasted good...
Well it seems like most people disagree. Maybe my viewpoint has been skewed due to my own absence lately. Maybe I just miss that "gold rush" type phase when it was at the peak of the boom! But for our sake let's hope I'm right and prices get lowered due to higher supply than demand in the market!

lithium017
Member Avatar
Is Now Posting With Power
I agree with a lot of your argument. Back when I started hunting for the Hello Mac and the Geoffrey controllers they were so rare and expensive. I intentionally wanted to wait for the controllers to become more known and popular so that prices would become more realistic. I still hope boxed versions appear more often so more people can complete their own sets. Game prices have levelled off a bit but who knows. Now seems better for some things but worse for others. Good topic!
Edited by lithium017, May 7 2017, 08:00 AM.
Click For Nintendo Collecting Youtube Page

N64 Consoles: 16 / 16 N64 Controllers 29 / 30 N64 Accessories: 8 / 10
NES: 32 --- SNES: 133 --- N64: 64 --- Gamecube: 78--- Wii: 75 --- WiiU: 14

jonebone
Member Avatar
One thing to note is that forum participation in general (not just specific to this forum) is losing out to social media. Youtube, Instagram, FB Groups, etc., all of those are much more "instantaneous" with larger communities. Desktop browing in general has conceded to mobile browsing and trending more towards mobile everyday. Long forum posts are meant for a keyboard and quite frankly those biggest days are long in the past.

How does that relate to N64 collecting in general? It doesn't necessarily. It just means you have to go where the people are to notice it. May seem like ghost town here compared to the past but things are lighting fast on IG / FB / elsewhere. Still a good amount of collectors all around.

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
jonebone
May 8 2017, 05:39 AM
One thing to note is that forum participation in general (not just specific to this forum) is losing out to social media. Youtube, Instagram, FB Groups, etc., all of those are much more "instantaneous" with larger communities. Desktop browing in general has conceded to mobile browsing and trending more towards mobile everyday. Long forum posts are meant for a keyboard and quite frankly those biggest days are long in the past.

How does that relate to N64 collecting in general? It doesn't necessarily. It just means you have to go where the people are to notice it. May seem like ghost town here compared to the past but things are lighting fast on IG / FB / elsewhere. Still a good amount of collectors all around.
This is a really good point.

I use IG quite a lot now and as I said talk to quite a few collectors off the board.

That said I always like to swing by here as it is a great place to be. I only ever use my phone - I don't own a desktop so agree about those days being in the past.

Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
There is a disconnect with other non forum social media. They lack real conversation and dicussion, and seem less genuine. To me.

Edited by No64DD, May 8 2017, 10:06 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

funkymonkey
Member Avatar
Milage007
May 8 2017, 06:37 AM
jonebone
May 8 2017, 05:39 AM
This is a really good point.

I use IG quite a lot now and as I said talk to quite a few collectors off the board.

Hey there,

I'm one of this new collectors (i collect for like 1 month as of right now) and for the most time i use ebay. Do you have any tips for other sites?! I think you mean Insta with 'IG', so i think i have to look there as well. I also searched alot of SNES/Nintendo boards, but the rate of N64 sellers or collectors who sell some some of their stuff is pretty low there. And the Price rates on ebay are pretty crazy (like the price of the 'ocarina of time value pack' which is currently at +1200$)!

(Sorry, no EDIT - function)

If it's okay for you we can also write via PM (:
Edited by funkymonkey, May 10 2017, 09:15 AM.

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
At this stage I think not being able to find affordable N64 games out in the wild discourages people from becoming serious collectors. Since most sellers know that older video games have value to collectors the days of finding really sweet deals at flea markets and yard sales are long gone. Sad. ;_;

Posted Image

Rocky
Member Avatar
IG is just a big case of show and tell and no substance to me. It's mainly posts that go "anyone remember this gem!?" with a bunch of people responding with one liner comments. Seems like it's just a place for people to expand their ego with their 'follower' count and what not.
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
I remember the good old days around 2011 when I got everything in this photo at a local yard sale for just 6 dollars.

Posted Image

I also recall the seller acting like they were ripping me off because in their mind - who actually plays N64 games anymore. :lol:

Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
Instagram is infected with people like Solojones64, in all his MSG, wannabe, fake e3 glory. He even tries bashing us to his thousands of followers, talking like Lil Bow Wow to anyone who will listen.

Yeah, it's a problem. :blasphemy bat:
Edited by No64DD, May 15 2017, 10:36 AM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Shellshocker18
Member Avatar
The Shockmaster
Rocky
May 15 2017, 06:22 AM
IG is just a big case of show and tell and no substance to me. It's mainly posts that go "anyone remember this gem!?" with a bunch of people responding with one liner comments. Seems like it's just a place for people to expand their ego with their 'follower' count and what not.
I had never used instagram until about 30 minutes ago and I can't give this comment a big enough thumbs up.

I'm the furthest thing from a collector but seeing people with such impressive collections, yet having no substance or passion in their conversations about it just makes me sad and seeing some of them spout incorrect information makes me cringe, like they clearly don't care about what they are talking about, just how good it makes them sound.

That's how nearly entire internet feels for me sometimes and I almost never try to vent about it because it's fruitless. This website is pretty good though :n64:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
Shellshocker18
May 15 2017, 07:34 AM
This website is pretty good though :n64:
This website is excellent because of the wonderful admins who diligently work to keep out the trolls. We also have some very passionate N64 enthusiasts here which makes it a joy to visit even if you're just mildly interested in the console and its games. :yeah:

Posted Image

Milage007
Member Avatar
Licensed to Game
No64DD
May 15 2017, 06:58 AM
Instagram is infected with people like Solojones64, in all his MSG, wannabe, fake e3 glory. He even tries bashing us to his thousands of followers, talking like Lil Bow Wow to anyone who will listen.

Yeah, it's a problem. :blasphemy bat:
This is true, but for what it is worth Dan there are people (admittedly with less followers than solo) encouraging people to visit the forum which may or may not have the desired positive impact.

My main reason for using IG is to see other collections and to reach out to others that do not swing by the forum. Rocky makes a great point about the depth of the discussion and that is a reason I enjoy being very involved on the forum where I can. The level of discussion here is great.

There's some really knowledgeable people on this site and I really enjoy reading what you all have to say.
Posted Image
Posted Image

No64DD
Member Avatar
Neva wizard Kee
I agree.
There isn't an easy answer to any of these issues on this thread. You have to take the bad with the good.
Unfortunately.

Edited by No64DD, May 15 2017, 01:19 PM.
A Secret star
lie here~

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

i8ablueskittle
and it tasted good...
No64DD
May 15 2017, 11:53 AM
I agree.
There isn't an easy answer to any of these issues on this thread. You have to take the bad with the good.
Unfortunately.

Very true. I feel like we have a wonderful community here though (with very few exceptions that are swiftly dealt with). I also feel like those who are true longer term collectors probably mostly make their way here at some point.

I've never used instagram as a source of searching for seller's or anything, though I've used facebook very sparsely (more for communication than actually finding items). I can see why people would say forums have lost traffic to things such as youtube but as I've said above, longer term collector's will probably make their way to forums eventually, considering google searching brings you to here or NA almost immediately. Most of the traffic that goes through youtube is a different kind of viewer, not necessarily a collector. I feel like we've simply hit a dip and I'm hoping (and guessing) that it'll pick back up in the near future (if there really even is the dip that I've perceived).

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
History has given us many notable bubble markets to learn from ranging from the Dutch Tulip Mania of the sixteen hundreds to the United States Housing Bubble at the beginning of this century. As any student of history knows, bubble markets generally collapse when speculators start to pull out. I believe that's what we're seeing now in the video game collecting bubble. Whether one views this as a positive or a negative ultimately depends on the person's motives for getting in on the action in the first place.
Edited by Grizzmeister, May 16 2017, 11:58 AM.

Posted Image

Jsboger
Member Avatar
Established Member
i8ablueskittle
May 16 2017, 01:56 AM
Very true. I feel like we have a wonderful community here though (with very few exceptions that are swiftly dealt with). I also feel like those who are true longer term collectors probably mostly make their way here at some point.

I've never used instagram as a source of searching for seller's or anything, though I've used facebook very sparsely (more for communication than actually finding items). I can see why people would say forums have lost traffic to things such as youtube but as I've said above, longer term collector's will probably make their way to forums eventually, considering google searching brings you to here or NA almost immediately. Most of the traffic that goes through youtube is a different kind of viewer, not necessarily a collector. I feel like we've simply hit a dip and I'm hoping (and guessing) that it'll pick back up in the near future (if there really even is the dip that I've perceived).
I agree with you about finding this forum. I was tired of using Instagram and Facebook for N64 related things and a quick Google search brought me here in which I have learned more here than I ever would on other social media.
Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR!!!!!!

Grizzmeister
Member Avatar
Latter-day Nostradamus
The ridiculous price that some video games have reached caused an extended family member to steal from me. :-/ You see, I had a box full of my duplicate SNES and N64 games in my in-law's basement for safekeeping. Seems my father-in-law's son found the box and took it without even bothering to ask who the games belonged to. :angry: I wouldn't have minded if he had taken the games so he could play them himself but no... he took them so he could turn a quick buck on eBay. :facepalm:

Posted Image

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Collecting · Next Topic »
Add Reply
  • Pages: